Army HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krmower

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had just received the following information. Other than the numbers provided, I don't have a lot of additional information on this.

Here is the updated info on HPSP as of 2/19.

70 4yr HPSP - 3 achieved 28pending
35 3yr HPSP- 26 achieved 8 pending
Total of 135 HPSP 35 achieved 40 pending 20 OML

Members don't see this ad.

My recruiter had said that the board was meeting this week. If you know are the pending those being considered? Thanks

So it seems like very few have been awarded overall.
Have this few people applied or do these numbers not include total applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told the board meets on the 26th and the deadline was the 11th.

Does anyone know how OBLC works? Are we able to complete it before the start of dental school? Or are we forced to wait until that first summer break or D-school graduation (depending on school curriculum)?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I was offered a spot currently am doing some more research first before accepting, nonetheless, i think My recruiter told me there are no deadline when i have to respond to them.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the link!
Now I just need to convince my recruiter that I AM ABLE to attend BEFORE Dental School...

1-877-MED-ARMY will be happy to explain this to him. Just realize, there are a whole lot of things than must be accomplished in order to do this. The big one is getting the security clearance.

1-877-MED-ARMY will be happy to explain this to him. Just realize, there are a whole lot of things than must be accomplished in order to do this. The big one is getting the security clearance.

Thanks for this! My recruiter did find and forward me the info for this process. I was told the board meets tomorrow. With a hopeful offer I'll get this underway as soon as possible.
Many thanks for all the information in these threads.

What are the chances of getting into the program now if all I have done atm is fill out and give back all of my forms to my recruiter (all LOR sent in as well.)

I want to try to get my packet in as fast as possible but my recruiter seems to be very leisurely in getting back to me and just keeps assuring me that with my stats I will be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the chances of getting into the program now if all I have done atm is fill out and give back all of my forms to my recruiter (all LOR sent in as well.)

I want to try to get my packet in as fast as possible but my recruiter seems to be very leisurely in getting back to me and just keeps assuring me that with my stats I will be ok.
Depends on how many other people apply before your packet goes in. No way to give you a guess at the moment.

Out of curiosity those of you who have heard back already, how long of a wait was it from when the board met to being notified?
Has anyone heard back from the 2nd round yet?

I was told from a recruiter that this weeks board should hear back by mid-march. I would take that with a grain of salt... he has been wrong in the past.

Out of curiosity those of you who have heard back already, how long of a wait was it from when the board met to being notified?
Has anyone heard back from the 2nd round yet?

PS:

I understand that there are three levels of security clearance:

-Top Secret

-Secret

-Confidential

What level will a dental officer need and what does it entail?

Thanks.

PS:

I understand that there are three levels of security clearance:

-Top Secret

-Secret

-Confidential

What level will a dental officer need and what does it entail?

Thanks.
Secret. Filling out a detailed background check form including people who knew you at different places you have lived.

Oh man I sure hope it's sooner than that...The anticipation is like the Dec. 3rd weekend all over again...Pins and needles!

I was told from a recruiter that this weeks board should hear back by mid-march. I would take that with a grain of salt... he has been wrong in the past.

I've wanted this even more than I've wanted dental school! Let's hope we hear good news come mid-March! We'll keep each other informed!

At this point in the game (feb board) does anyone NOT get an offer? It seems like we're in good shape. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the security check after we receive the scholarship - one wrong move in your past and you could not receive it.

Will they polygraph us? Talk to our X girl friends? DQ us for going on a trip overseas in the past? Get a bad "vibe" during the interview? Who knows...

Just found out I was not in the Feb. board due to my recruiters negligence. I have signed the DA 61 5 times now. Is this common for most of you?

Just found out I was not in the Feb. board due to my recruiters negligence. I have signed the DA 61 5 times now. Is this common for most of you?

That's the form that must be signed and dated with the exact date of completing your packet, right? I had to sign that two or three times and my recruiter worked almost 4 hours away. I can imagine your frustration, but at least you have almost completed the process. Best of luck.

I too signed that form ~4 times. The board kept kicking back my application for various reasons and I had to fix or add random things to my file. Sorry to hear that formality has held you up.

My recruiter mentioned that had I not got into the Feb board I would most likely get a four year and would almost certainly get a three year scholarship. If you don't get selected in the next board, and there are no more 4 year HPSP (doubtful), you will be added to a list to call for three year scholarships. All this is based on what my recruiter told me (take it with a grain of salt).

GL. Still waiting to hear back about the feb board!

I too signed that form ~4 times. The board kept kicking back my application for various reasons and I had to fix or add random things to my file. Sorry to hear that formality has held you up.

My recruiter mentioned that had I not got into the Feb board I would most likely get a four year and would almost certainly get a three year scholarship. If you don't get selected in the next board, and there are no more 4 year HPSP (doubtful), you will be added to a list to call for three year scholarships. All this is based on what my recruiter told me (take it with a grain of salt).

GL. Still waiting to hear back about the feb board!

would or wouldn't?

would.

He told me that if I applied feb or march and was not selected for any four year scholarships, I would be in great shape for a three year. I guess they review the list of 4 year rejects to start handing out 3 year scholarships. In past cases he told me that those who applied too late, and subsequently didn't get a four year , did receive a three year offer.

would or wouldn't?

I heard all 4 yr scholarships have been given out. Unless people do not accept it, no spots are left.

I heard all 4 yr scholarships have been given out. Unless people do not accept it, no spots are left.

Crap! I didn't get a call. I guess iwas not selected. I called my recruiter and he said I "will drop down soon". ... What that meant? I have no idea. Anyone have any info?

If all the feb board students were announced at the same time, and I didn't get one, where does that leave me?

Last edited:
Will they polygraph us? Talk to our X girl friends? DQ us for going on a trip overseas in the past? Get a bad "vibe" during the interview? Who knows...

For a secret clearance-NO. I don't recall even being interviewed for a secret clearance, it's mainly just filling out paperwork. If you have a lot of family living overseas, are married to a non-us citizen, etc they may ask for additional info.

When you get to the top secret level (will likely never happen as a dentist) they start interviewing you and random people that you have known, etc. The last time I got my TS renewed they asked me about a brush I had with the law, didn't stop me from getting the clearance, but they wanted to know all the details surrounding the event and wanted to make sure that it wasn't indicative of a larger problem or pattern of behavior.

I should be in the March board which will basically just be for an alternate list correct?

This seems to be the case. Or at least my understanding. I was in the Feb board but was not selected. Things must be very competitive because I saw my GPA calculated as 3.5, have a 21 DAT, and a lot of volunteer, leadership, and health care experience through employment. I thought my letters rocked. I didn't have any "red flags" either...

I hope there is some movement and we receive scholarships. Congrats to those who received them.

I should be in the March board which will basically just be for an alternate list correct?

I haven't heard back from my recruiter yet, and it seems that all of the four-year scholarships were given out. I should probably call him tomorrow and confirm? I was hoping for good news! *sigh*

I hope there is some movement and we receive scholarships. Congrats to those who received them.

I haven't heard back from my recruiter yet, and it seems that all of the four-year scholarships were given out. I should probably call him tomorrow and confirm? I was hoping for good news! *sigh*

I wouldn't give up yet guys, from what I have heard there is a decent amount of movement/declines due to people applying to multiple branches. Also there is a good amount of time for a candidate to decline an offer IIRC so you may very well both still get an offer!

Does anyone what officially happens when you commission other than taking your oath and being sworn in?
Are you suppose to bring/ give anything to your recruiter as a thank you?

Does anyone what officially happens when you commission other than taking your oath and being sworn in?
Are you suppose to bring/ give anything to your recruiter as a thank you?

You can have family there and take pictues while you are raising your hand and taking the oath. No gift is necessary for the recruiter.

Hi guys,

Congrats to those who have already been awarded the 4 year HPSP! When you guys submitted your paperwork to your recruiters, were your unofficial score print-out from the test centers acceptable? Or did you have to request official scores from the ADA?

Also, I heard there was an April board, is this correct?

Thanks for any info!

Hi guys,

Congrats to those who have already been awarded the 4 year HPSP! When you guys submitted your paperwork to your recruiters, were your unofficial score print-out from the test centers acceptable? Or did you have to request official scores from the ADA?

Also, I heard there was an April board, is this correct?

Thanks for any info!

My unofficial printout was acceptable but my recruiter his superior kept requesting a URL along with the printout. I know the MCAT does this but I have not been able to find anything of the sort for the DAT. They told me I may have to order and official record from ADA ($15). It shouldn't hold your application back however, I was awarded the scholarship without it.

So, for everyone who has applied for this scholarship: How are GPA and DAT calculated for the military? Do they care about overall or science GPA? And, what section of the DAT do they look at?
I'm asking since I'm interested in applying next year.
Good luck guys!

So, for everyone who has applied for this scholarship: How are GPA and DAT calculated for the military? Do they care about overall or science GPA? And, what section of the DAT do they look at?
Good luck guys!

I took the scholarship for CO 2016. It's probably all the same still.

They looked at my transcript overall GPA (maybe they calculated others but they didn't tell me about it). They only seem to care about the academic average for DAT scores.

My unofficial printout was acceptable but my recruiter his superior kept requesting a URL along with the printout. I know the MCAT does this but I have not been able to find anything of the sort for the DAT. They told me I may have to order and official record from ADA ($15). It shouldn't hold your application back however, I was awarded the scholarship without it.

I requested a report from the ADA, but I didn't realize that having it sent to myself would dub it an unofficial report. My recruiter is not accepting my unofficial report or my print out :/.

Good luck guys!

It would appear that the most important factors are applying early and get accepted into dental school on December 1st so that your application is complete and ready to go.

Hey good luck to all those applying for tomorrow's board meeting. Fingers crossed