Army Army Endodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Bound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. How competitive is it to get into Endo straight out of dental school? What should someone do to be competitive? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You should have a mom or dad who is a colonel in the dental corps or it ain’t gonna happen. It’s what you do while in the army that makes the difference and have a really good class rank in school

You should have a mom or dad who is a colonel in the dental corps or it ain’t gonna happen. It’s what you do while in the army that makes the difference and have a really good class rank in school
A guy I know from BOLC got into endo to start as soon as he finished his AEGD. He had a stellar resume and letters from retired Army Endo, FWIW.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that answers my question. Looks like I'd do it after separation if I were to go Endo. That's really strange to me that Army can't get enough Oral Surgeons and it's not as hard to matriculate to that but for Endo you need to be God incarnate. Is Endo more competitive than Ortho?

A guy I know from BOLC got into endo to start as soon as he finished his AEGD. He had a stellar resume and letters from retired Army Endo, FWIW.

So a little of who you know plays a part. He or his family obviously had a relationship with someone important. My whole time in the Navy I heard of one person who got into Navy Endo straight out school. His dad was a CAPT in the corps. It’s possible but VERY unlikely.

I don’t know much about Ortho honestly. It’s probably more competitive than Endo in the Navy. They would NEVER take someone straight out of school. They waitlisted some of the most qualified Navy applicants I could imagine. 1st in their DS class, ranked first in their AEGD, department head tour(s), etc… waitlisted 3x. Again, probably who you know.

Reactions: 1 users
Well that answers my question. Looks like I'd do it after separation if I were to go Endo. That's really strange to me that Army can't get enough Oral Surgeons and it's not as hard to matriculate to that but for Endo you need to be God incarnate. Is Endo more competitive than Ortho?
The best time to apply is in your AEGD.

OMS requires the CBSE and not many people want to spend 4 years in the hospital taking call at all hours when they could do endo in 2 years.

As for ortho, it depends on how many people apply. There's a lot more endo slots than ortho slots.

You can get endo after completing an AEGD 1-yr residency, it’s tough, but doable. My co-resident did it in 2019, but he was also prior service and a West Point grad.

I think the reason the Army can’t fill OS slots is because they don’t want to deal with the additional time payback, but that’s just a guess.

Ortho I would say is still the most competitive. They only have 2 slots and that may even be going down to 1. Endo has 4-6 typically.

Reactions: 1 user
You can get endo after completing an AEGD 1-yr residency, it’s tough, but doable. My co-resident did it in 2019, but he was also prior service and a West Point grad.

I think the reason the Army can’t fill OS slots is because they don’t want to deal with the additional time payback, but that’s just a guess.

Ortho I would say is still the most competitive. They only have 2 slots and that may even be going down to 1. Endo has 4-6 typically.

Is Army not dropping billets like Navy? They are down to 1 Ortho spot/ year and 3 Endo. Can’t imagine they reduce it much more than that although there were talks about completely outsourcing specialties. But I don’t know how that would work overseas…

Is Army not dropping billets like Navy? They are down to 1 Ortho spot/ year and 3 Endo. Can’t imagine they reduce it much more than that although there were talks about completely outsourcing specialties. But I don’t know how that would work overseas…
They are, and have talked about it. I was surprised that the numbers didn’t change this last cycle from when I glanced at it, though.

I don't understand why Oral surgery owes 4 years pay back. 1 year snow bird, 3 years into residency, you have payed your HPSP back. Then 4th year of residency is I guess just counted as an extra year of service? And then paying back 4 years? That doesn't make sense. Why isn't it 3 years pay back?

I don't understand why Oral surgery owes 4 years pay back. 1 year snow bird, 3 years into residency, you have payed your HPSP back. Then 4th year of residency is I guess just counted as an extra year of service? And then paying back 4 years? That doesn't make sense. Why isn't it 3 years pay back?
Oral Surgery is a 4-year residency at minimum.

Your payback logic is not correct. The HPSP ADSO does not pay off during your OMS residency time (or any residency time). It pays off after, simultaneously with your OMS ADSO (except the 1st year snowbirding). Both are 4 year ADSOs so doesn't matter. If you did OMS right after your snowbird year you would owe 3 years of HPSP ADSO and 4 years of OMS ADSO. They pay off simultaneously.

For most things this doesn't matter. Got to think of these when considering RB ASDOs and civilian training ADSO payback. (Concurrent vs consecutive)

Your payback logic is not correct. The HPSP ADSO does not pay off during your OMS residency time (or any residency time). It pays off after, simultaneously with your OMS ADSO (except the 1st year snowbirding). Both are 4 year ADSOs so doesn't matter. If you did OMS right after your snowbird year you would owe 3 years of HPSP ADSO and 4 years of OMS ADSO. They pay off simultaneously.

For most things this doesn't matter. Got to think of these when considering RB ASDOs and civilian training ADSO payback. (Concurrent vs consecutive)
So the snowbird year is basically just a free year the government gets from you that doesn't pay off commitment. Or the fourth year of residency is not paying off any commitment. Either way you look at it you're in for 1+4+4, which doesn't make sense to me. I would think it would be 8 years total in the military.

So the snowbird year is basically just a free year the government gets from you that doesn't pay off commitment. Or the fourth year of residency is not paying off any commitment. Either way you look at it you're in for 1+4+4, which doesn't make sense to me. I would think it would be 8 years total in the military.
I’d just be happy they don’t make your do 1+4+7...the fact that the 3 years left of HPSP payback is concurrent with the 4 years of OMS payback seems pretty generous...

If time in military is the concern, 4 years of HPSP payback, separate and do civilian OMS using GI Bill...

If time in military is the concern, 4 years of HPSP payback, separate and do civilian OMS using GI Bill...
Fair points. What do you mean use GI bill? OMS residency pays money not tuition for a 4 year program

4 or 5 years ago someone got straight into endo in the Navy. The catch? He was a former USMC fighter pilot. He actually had to take a reduction in rank to take the HPSP.

If you separate from the military and specialize afterwards, you can still use the GI Bill even if your residency pays you. My residency pays a stipend, and I collect the GI Bill monthly "housing allowance."

Big Hoss

4 or 5 years ago someone got straight into endo in the Navy. The catch? He was a former USMC fighter pilot. He actually had to take a reduction in rank to take the HPSP.

If you separate from the military and specialize afterwards, you can still use the GI Bill even if your residency pays you. My residency pays a stipend, and I collect the GI Bill monthly "housing allowance."

Big Hoss
Oh that's sweet. If you use it for that can you not use GI bill for any possible kids in the future?