Army Brigade Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I am assigned to a TOE unit, how long do I have to stay with that unit? If you deploy with them can you request to change to a different unit or a TDA slot when you come back? I ask because some units deploy a lot and what are the chances of multiple deployments during the 4 years. I am ok with deploying once, but twice might be a hard one to explain to the wife.

Members don't see this ad.

If I am assigned to a TOE unit, how long do I have to stay with that unit? If you deploy with them can you request to change to a different unit or a TDA slot when you come back? I ask because some units deploy a lot and what are the chances of multiple deployments during the 4 years. I am ok with deploying once, but twice might be a hard one to explain to the wife.
Assignments with a Brigade will be a minimum of 12 months. Current deployment cycles with units are built around a multi-year cycle. The unit prepares for deployment, deploys, comes back and recouperates, gets new people and begins the cycle again. You would usually only deploy one time with that unit unless you are real "Hooah" like Airborne Dentist. Current deployments are 9 months with Brigades.

One more thing, TDA units such as DENCOM technically do not deploy, but you, the individual dentist will be placed in the PROFIS system into a deployable unit, and if that unit is deployed (no matter where they are located) you deploy with them (no matter where you're located). Search the threads for PROFIS, I think I explained it in great detail there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who are you with? I spent 3 years in the 82nd and wish I could do a career there. I found that it is what you make of it. If you take care of your folks, they take care of you...if you are slacker, you are sent to the field to put up tents. You are the subject matter expert, there are no other dentists in your chain of command. It all depends on your chain, and I had a good one. I would go back in a second...,no questions asked. I would rather deploy for 12 months in a Brigade slot than 6 months in a PROFIS slot, again, no questions asked!

Assignments with a Brigade will be a minimum of 12 months. Current deployment cycles with units are built around a multi-year cycle. The unit prepares for deployment, deploys, comes back and recouperates, gets new people and begins the cycle again. You would usually only deploy one time with that unit unless you are real "Hooah" like Airborne Dentist. Current deployments are 9 months with Brigades.

Thanks Kendall..

You will probably do 3 years with them...if you happen to get them on a deployment as soon as you get there, you "may" get 2 deployments, but that is extremely rare. Usually, you can leave the unit once you have deployed.