Are victims of substance abuse considered "undeserved"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twixmoments

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I currently volunteer as a discussion facilitator / coach for people in my area struggling with a wide range of addiction. This is done both in-person and remote. Think of Alcoholics Anonymous but for the wide range of all different types of addictions including drugs, food, etc. Sessions usually include personalized check-ins with each member of the group and a topic outlining a potential coping mechanism for the week (often based off principles of Acceptance Compassion Therapy). This is something I am particularly passionate about as I lost someone close to me due to addiction, and is a large part of the reason I want to pursue medicine (looking into Addiction Psychiatry or Addiction Medicine). Also, some of the people I help facilitate discussions with are genuinely some of the kindest and hardest working people I know.

I heard that it's almost an absolute necessity to help an underserved community Curious, would this fall into the "underserved community" umbrella? Although some of the people I work with definitely do come from lower-income backgrounds, the background of people who seek support are actually quite socioeconomically diverse (many are actually quite wealthy / at least middle/upper class). In addition, the community center where these discussions happen likely wouldn't be considered an underserved neighborhood.

If not, I am more than happy to spend extra hours volunteering at a soup kitchen but frankly I am starting to get spread a bit thin with my hours + class + current job. However, if it needs to get done, I am happy even if it's just an extra 1-2 hours a week, it just would make time management tougher - I do genuinely enjoy working at the soup kitchen. I currently also volunteer weekly at a hospice, an acute cardio-pulmonary unit at a large hospital, and a text line. I wouldn't consider any of these particularly focused on low-income communities but wanted to hear SDN's thoughts. Do you think it's worth tacking on more?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
I think you mean undeR-served lol not un-deserved. But as you have astutely pointed out, it sounds like you are helping folks of a wide variety of socioeconomic statuses so I probably would not consider this adequate underserved contact on its own.

ETA: I'm seeing a lot of replies below that disagree with me, which is fair. I think the perspective I'm taking here is the actual meaning of the word underserved...the bottom line for me in defining this patient population is, do they struggle with accessing healthcare? You are the best person to answer this question, but some things to think about would be does the average client you serve through this opportunity not have a primary care provider, or get primary care through an FQHC or free clinic? Are they on Medicaid or uninsured and therefore struggle to find a doctor who will accept them? Do they have significant financial, cultural, or social barriers to accessing care? My guess for a patient who is "quite wealthy" but is receiving support services for SUD would answer these questions with a no.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi there, I currently volunteer as a discussion facilitator / coach for people in my area struggling with a wide range of addiction. This is done both in-person and remote. Think of Alcoholics Anonymous but for the wide range of all different types of addictions including drugs, food, etc. Sessions usually include personalized check-ins with each member of the group and a topic outlining a potential coping mechanism for the week (often based off principles of Acceptance Compassion Therapy). This is something I am particularly passionate about as I lost someone close to me due to addiction, and is a large part of the reason I want to pursue medicine (looking into Addiction Psychiatry or Addiction Medicine). Also, some of the people I help facilitate discussions with are genuinely some of the kindest and hardest working people I know.

I heard that it's almost an absolute necessity to help an undeserved community Curious, would this fall into the "undeserved community" umbrella? Although some of the people I work with definitely do come from lower-income backgrounds, the background of people who seek support are actually quite socioeconomically diverse (many are actually quite wealthy / at least middle/upper class). In addition, the community center where these discussions happen likely wouldn't be considered an underserved neighborhood.

If not, I am more than happy to spend extra hours volunteering at a soup kitchen but frankly I am starting to get spread a bit thin with my hours + class + current job. However, if it needs to get done, I am happy even if it's just an extra 1-2 hours a week, it just would make time management tougher - I do genuinely enjoy working at the soup kitchen. I currently also volunteer weekly at a hospice, an acute cardio-pulmonary unit at a large hospital, and a text line. I wouldn't consider any of these particularly focused on low-income communities but wanted to hear SDN's thoughts. Do you think it's worth tacking on more?

Thank you!
No expert or anything, just applying this cycle myself. I have a similar interest/narrative and I would personally say that, by and large, people suffering from SUD are underserved, largely due to stigma, and at bare minimum SUD often intersects with conventionally underserved populations. It may be a slightly polarizing issue, but it’s not the 90s anymore, I’d hope people reading your app know it’s not as simple as “say no to drugs, kids!” If you were to ask me, I’d say yes, those with SUD are underserved, but maybe whatever adcom is reading your app thinks it’s not. If that’s the case, would you even want to go there to begin with? I wouldn’t, personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, yes, you are working with a community that is often underserved or lacking in resources. No need to look for another volunteer opportunity. You are helping a group of people who are unlike yourself and out of most people’s comfort zone.

Reactions: 1 users

I heard that it's almost an absolute necessity to help an underserved community Curious, would this fall into the "underserved community" umbrella? Although some of the people I work with definitely do come from lower-income backgrounds, the background of people who seek support are actually quite socioeconomically diverse (many are actually quite wealthy / at least middle/upper class). In addition, the community center where these discussions happen likely wouldn't be considered an underserved neighborhood.
I agree with others on this thread that this would be an example of helping an underserved population. A word is advice though, we prefer the term "substance use disorder" rather than "substance abuse" to be less stigmatizing to this community. Just my thoughts and best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
In the past I tried to work at food banks and homeless shelters, but due to my own personal trauma washed out. Applause to you for leading the way in issues close to home.

I've been doing suicide holiness and mentoring, most are teens with various SES issues or are in dangerous homes, various abuses, majority also LGBTQIA+

Will leave it up to the reader to make their own determinations.

Welcome!