Is this considered an institutional action that must be disclosed on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpacasaurus

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I would like some advice regarding a potential institutional action that may or may not need to be disclosed on my AMCAS application for this 2025 cycle. So, during winter break this past year I had an electric kettle with a detachable kettle in my dorm. This kettle was subsequently confiscated due to being a prohibited item (as I’ve now learned). Following, I received an official correspondence from my the residential living department of my university stating: that I was “receiving this email due to a policy violation”; that an “RA found a prohibited appliance item (toaster) in your suite”; that “the concern(s) listed need to be addressed in accordance to the On-Campus Housing Contract”; and lastly that “this letter serves as a notice that a violation has occurred and it is expected that another violation does not occur in the 2023-2024 academic year. If there are future violations, you will be referred to the student conduct process. At this time, there is no further action required of you.”

For further context, the letter indeed states that I had a toaster while a kettle was confiscated…no clue how that happened. I have also contacted my university’s student conduct office who have informed me that they do not consider this an institutional action and that they would not be sending it out to medical schools if my conduct record is request. However, I am a very big overthinker so I am still very concerned about it still being found out if I do not disclose it, but simultaneously, I also am worried about the potential red flag and delay of the processing of my application which could impact my chances of admission.

What do the rest of you think? Is this an institutional action that I should disclose on my application? Or am I simply crazy and overthinking things as usual?

Members don't see this ad.

This violation is absolutely trivial and makes no difference in your application review, but you should report it. If Residence Life took the time to sanction and document this, you must report it.

The university does not want to pay higher insurance rates and pass them off to residents, so there is a reason why toasters, air conditioners, and current-sinking devices (like a huge computer server for e-gaming purposes) are prohibited from the dorms. Whether or not you learned that fact despite the number of communications Residence Life may have had in disclosing what you are allowed or not allowed to bring, own up to it. Work with Residence Life or your Student Conduct office to confirm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
During Winter break 2023-24, I received a warning from Student Life that I had an unauthorized appliance in my suite and that said appliance had been confiscated. I was warned that a second violation would be addressed in accordance with the on-campus housing contract. Having learned my lesson, there has been no second violation."

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your responses! I will be disclosing this on my application. Funny enough, it definitely makes me less stressed than not reporting it.

Reactions: 1 users
During Winter break 2023-24, I received a warning from Student Life that I had an unauthorized appliance in my suite and that said appliance had been confiscated. I was warned that a second violation would be addressed in accordance with the on-campus housing contract. Having learned my lesson, there has been no second violation."
Thank you for the example essay! This is a bit more succinct than what I have already written, definitely short and sweet and to the point. I would like to ask, is there a reason for saying “unauthorized appliance” rather than the specific appliance? I might just be looking too much into it to be honest.

Thank you for the example essay! This is a bit more succinct than what I have already written, definitely short and sweet and to the point. I would like to ask, is there a reason for saying “unauthorized appliance” rather than the specific appliance? I might just be looking too much into it to be honest.
Well, given that there is a discrepancy between what you had (electric kettle) and what they said you had (toaster) it just seemed easier to call it an appliance.

LizzyM I read this as you had a kettle in your office as well that got yanked :rofl:

OP - don't worry this will get a chuckle out of a lot of us and a sigh that it was even considered an action. I recently got scolded for having a mini fridge in my office (which is still there, I have the warning taped to it).

We are all at the mercy of silly policies.

• Haha
Well, given that there is a discrepancy between what you had (electric kettle) and what they said you had (toaster) it just seemed easier to call it an appliance.
I see, that does help clear things up a lot…thanks!!!

Specifying the appliance (whether it is a toaster or a kettle) will give whoever has to screen your application a good laugh!