Are they getting rid of plastics fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starrlett555

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is buzz at my school that programs will be switching from fellowships to all integrated programs in the next 5-10 years. This is worrisome b/c the surgeons are telling students that if they dont get into integrated programs now, they probably will not be able to become plastic surgeons. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Members don't see this ad.

I guarantee you that will not happen. Too many people in positions of power in PRS came from GS backgrounds and still feel like people should have a chance to go into plastics after GS.

There's been buzz for years that the independent residencies would shift to 3 years and it still hasn't happened yet. Independent programs as a group aren't going anywhere.

There's been buzz for years that the independent residencies would shift to 3 years and it still hasn't happened yet. Independent programs as a group aren't going anywhere.

At the last big meeting, the PDs have agreed in principle (except for a few hold outs) that the independent program will be three years since all the combined programs are going to be three years. In the combined programs, you're a general surgery resident for the first three years and the rotations thru various specialties such as derm, oral surgery, etc are not consistent. The question on the table is funding that third year. While Dre is correct in that they've been talking about this for some time, it does look like it's finally going to happen.

I'm also of the opinion that the independent pathway (which is considered a residency by the way by the ACGME) is not going away any time soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, from what I've been able to gather the 3 year shift is going to happen in the next couple of years. Point being that even if all the PD's suddenly decided that integrated/combined models were far superior (no concensus on that, and there probably never will be!) and they wanted to get red of independent residencies, it would take years and years and years for it to happen.

But most if not all people in positions of power within PRS came from GS/ENT to plastics and they still feel that plastics should be an option for someone who has completed a surgical residency. I don't really see it shifting much more than 50-50 one way or the other for the foreseeable future; definitely not until integrated grads start infiltrating the traditional power structure of PRS.

Had a general question that occurred during random internet sleuthing ... I know that a while back (2002 from what I saw) one could apply to independent plastic programs after only 3 years of general surgery instead of completing all 5. Is this still possible?? Would the hospital you worked at during residency be furious/not let you back if you didn't match?? Just wondering. Thanks.

EDIT: I just read an older thread that said you are no longer able to apply for independent fellowships after 3 years unless the fellowship is at the same hospital. Confirm??

Correct. The only way to progress to an Independent Plastics Residency WITHOUT completely residency in GenSurg/ENT/Ortho/Neurosurg/Urology is to do three years of GenSurg and then matriculate to an Independent program at the same institution. No more applying after three years and looking at other places.