Are pyruvate decarboxylation and beta oxidation the same thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torobcheh21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I understand they both convert a substrate to acetyl CoA so are they different? The difference is that Pyruvate decarboxylation's substrate is pyruvate whereas for beta oxidation it's a fatty acid?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand they both convert a substrate to acetyl CoA so are they different? The difference is that Pyruvate decarboxylation's substrate is pyruvate whereas for beta oxidation it's a fatty acid?

Thanks

no don't confuse the 2! both are pyruvate to acetyl coa FOR GLYCOLYSIS TO KREB CYCLE ONLY! beta oxidation's starting substrate is acetyl coa and has nothing to do with pyruvate. don't wry about the mechanism or anything like that.

Definitely not the same thing. Pyruvate is converted to acetyl CoA by the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex in the intermediate step between glycolysis and the TCA cycle. Basically pyruvate loses a CO2 and is transferred to CoA to give acetyl CoA.

Beta oxidation is the breakdown of fatty acids (after they have been activated in the form of fatty acyl CoA), and does yield acetyl CoA, but the mechanism is entirely different. You don't need to know the mechanisms but I would be aware that they are entirely different pathways!

Members don't see this ad :)
still confused

don't worry about it. its really not important at all. just know acetyl coa is the entry point for the kreb cycle and beta oxidation.

glucose -> pyruvate -> acetyl coa -> kreb

fatty acid -> acetyl coa -> beta oxidation

very simplified, but thats what u need to know when it comes to acetyl cow

They are similar in a sense that they both use acetyl coa and take off 2 carbons. However, the substrates and the product are different, therefore they are not the same reactions.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

don't worry about it. its really not important at all. just know acetyl coa is the entry point for the kreb cycle and beta oxidation.

glucose -> pyruvate -> acetyl coa -> kreb

fatty acid -> acetyl coa -> beta oxidation

very simplified, but thats what u need to know when it comes to acetyl cow

cool thanks a lot! and by entry point you mean that it's the starting molecule that's needed for that reaction right?