Pre requisite + DAT at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirDent77

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm taking pre requisite courses next semester and I wanna study for the DAT as well. Is there any good schedule to do so while I'm taking the courses? And do I have to take the all pre requisite courses, the dental schools ask for on their websites, before applying?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is to just manage/balance your time well with course studying and DAT studying, making course studying the priority. No, you don't have to have all pre-requisites completed before you apply, but they have to be completed before matriculation.

Reactions: 1 user
No you do not have to take all of the listed pre reqs before applying, as someone just mentioned above. However, it is a good idea to have taken most of them by the time you apply to show that you can succeed in advanced/relevant coursework.

It is hard to answer your first question without more information. What classes are you taking? What classes have you completed? When do you plan on taking the DAT and/or applying to dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gunna start my pr dental program the next semester and I'm planning to take 4 courses which are GC 18.160, OC 18.261, Bio. 14.162, and Physics 74.151. And I'm writing the DAT in November 2019 and applying in 2020. Thanks!
No you do not have to take all of the listed pre reqs before applying, as someone just mentioned above. However, it is a good idea to have taken most of them by the time you apply to show that you can succeed in advanced/relevant coursework.

It is hard to answer your first question without more information. What classes are you taking? What classes have you completed? When do you plan on taking the DAT and/or applying to dental school?

Last edited:
I'm not really following...you're taking organic chemistry, general chemistry, physics, and biology all in the same semester? Or are you saying that those are the courses you plan on completing in the pre dental program? It will be hard to study for the DAT if you haven't taken GC, OC, or bio yet. I'm just a little confused as to what your plan is, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I'm not really following...you're taking organic chemistry, general chemistry, physics, and biology all in the same semester? Or are you saying that those are the courses you plan on completing in the pre dental program? It will be hard to study for the DAT if you haven't taken GC, OC, or bio yet. I'm just a little confused as to what your plan is, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Yes I'm planning to take all those 4 courses in the next semester and there's more pre requisite courses the Canadian dental schools asking for so, I still need to take more courses in the fall semester. I've been studying for DAT using the kaplan textbook and some other resources and I feel like I'd be familiar with those courses. I just wanna know how to manage it since I wanna keep preparing for the DAT. Thanks