Appropriate Use of Sick Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just a few days before match day (I matched in Neurology) and I get shaking chills, fatigue and muscle aches. I'm pretty sure this is the flu, despite getting my flu vaccine!
It has me thinking, what sort of symptoms or illnesses would constitute appropriate use of sick days in residency? I don't plan on using them for a runny nose, but what about severe gastroenteritis (vomiting every few hours)? Symptoms like I have now? Or should it be limited to things that require ER visit and/or hospitalization?

When answering please keep my specialty in mind. I have read stories of surgeon attendings requiring residents to show up to rounds either the same day or the day after they had an appy.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
Just a few days before match day (I matched in Neurology) and I get shaking chills, fatigue and muscle aches. I'm pretty sure this is the flu, despite getting my flu vaccine!
It has me thinking, what sort of symptoms or illnesses would constitute appropriate use of sick days in residency? I don't plan on using them for a runny nose, but what about severe gastroenteritis (vomiting every few hours)? Symptoms like I have now? Or should it be limited to things that require ER visit and/or hospitalization?

When answering please keep my specialty in mind. I have read stories of surgeon attendings requiring residents to show up to rounds either the same day or the day after they had an appy.
I’ve had several bouts of gastro during residency and def called in sick. It’s crazy that as physicians we would be expected to Yale care of others while we are sick particularly if you are vomiting or having diarrhea. With that said I’ve had the flu and have worked, I’ve had surgery and gone back in about 3-4 days counting weekends. So I think that if you are truly sick you should call in. If you have something mild then don’t screw over your colleagues. I have a resident in our program who takes numerous sick days when she had the flu - 6 to be exact and took 2 days post vacay for gastro. I call BS

I’ve had several bouts of gastro during residency and def called in sick. It’s crazy that as physicians we would be expected to Yale care of others while we are sick particularly if you are vomiting or having diarrhea. With that said I’ve had the flu and have worked, I’ve had surgery and gone back in about 3-4 days counting weekends. So I think that if you are truly sick you should call in. If you have something mild then don’t screw over your colleagues. I have a resident in our program who takes numerous sick days when she had the flu - 6 to be exact and took 2 days post vacay for gastro. I call BS
My personal policy was this: fevers or vomiting, stay home. Anything that takes you to the ER, stay home after that. Most everything else, come in.

Reactions: 5 users
Depends on the rotation I guess. I got flu last year as an intern and was out for four days because of where I was working (newborn nursery). No one wanted to risk exposing newborns despite the fact that I was only really sick for two days and fever free for the rest.

Your chiefs will give you guidance regarding what’s appropriate but I also think some common sense applies.

Hi everyone,

Reactions: 1 users
if you are infectious, take the sick day ...doesn't help to risk getting sick people even sicker. If you can't get up and stay upright , then take the sick day.

otherwise, when you are thinking about needing to take a sick day, ask yourself, is it worth the extra work being placed on your fellow residents for you not to come in? How would you react if the shoe was on the other foot and you were being asked to cover someone else that called out for the reason you are thinking to call out?

depending on the program and how residents interact with each other, this will depend on the culture of the program.

for example, my residency program was very family friendly...we didn't have issues with covering for someone because there was some reason that a person that needed to take some time off, knowing that it would be reciprocated ...and lucky that no one was taking advantage of that.

Depends on the rotation I guess. I got flu last year as an intern and was out for four days because of where I was working (newborn nursery). No one wanted to risk exposing newborns despite the fact that I was only really sick for two days and fever free for the rest.

Your chiefs will give you guidance regarding what’s appropriate but I also think some common sense applies.

Agree. I had severe vomiting/diarrhea. Had to go to the ED and got 3 bags of fluids and magnesium repletion. I could not physically have rounded without carrying my bucket. I had absolutely no control over the projectile vomit. I felt bad missing a few days, but I absolutely sub and help out others regularly. I am in pediatrics though.

lol my fave memory was carrying around one of those little plastic barf baggies with the plastic ring on top... it fit just perfectly in my white coat pocket. I have to run to one of the trash cans (the bag wasn't first line of defense).

Since I had a plan for emesis I feel that it doesn't *have* to keep you home. For diarrhea I think it depends on your hospital and how easy it is to get to a toilet very quickly, while wearing a diaper.

Clearly there's a level of vomiting and diarrhea that isn't realistic to manage at work

So to me it's more if you're so bad off you can hardly move, even to type at the computer, or think well enough, depending on your vomiting, diarrhea, or overall symptoms.

Surgery is rough call depending on where you're at with pain meds and how serious the surgery was.

Whatever you do just don't become "that person" who develops a reputation for calling out indiscriminately.

Reactions: 2 users
lol my fave memory was carrying around one of those little plastic barf baggies with the plastic ring on top... it fit just perfectly in my white coat pocket. I have to run to one of the trash cans (the bag wasn't first line of defense).

Since I had a plan for emesis I feel that it doesn't *have* to keep you home. For diarrhea I think it depends on your hospital and how easy it is to get to a toilet very quickly, while wearing a diaper.

Clearly there's a level of vomiting and diarrhea that isn't realistic to manage at work

So to me it's more if you're so bad off you can hardly move, even to type at the computer, or think well enough, depending on your vomiting, diarrhea, or overall symptoms.

Surgery is rough call depending on where you're at with pain meds and how serious the surgery was.

Wtf?

Reactions: 11 users
If you have something that would have you breaking an infection control procedure e.g. influenza like illness, gastro, definitely stay at home. You will not be thanked for starting an outbreak!

Reactions: 1 user

****ing call out dude wtf

It does depend on the rotation. Outpatient elective heme-onc that usually doesn't have a resident and no one will be covering you, you just won't be slowing the attendings down - call out for a cold.

Gastro please call out no matter what or your fellow residents will send you home and then wast even more time cavi-wiping down every surface in the rooms you are in so the entire team doesn't get it.

I only had vomiting so the emesis bag in my coat was fine. I ran to the trash can but only had a few heaves, luckily I got most of it out before rounds started. Didn't disrupt multidisciplinary rounds much.

I had diarrhea one time, took some immodium and I did wear a thick incontinence pad from the supply closet just in case, but if things had been worse I would have done a full-on diaper.

As it was I was able to bolt in time to the bathroom and no spillage. It did make the S in the subjective with patients pre-rounding take on a whole new level of efficiency.

You have to take control of your bodily functions, you can't let them control you.

Isn't that medicine in a nutshell?

Nothing will stop me, even if I have to round while on a vent, I will be there for my patients when they need me.

*subsequently gets gastro and misses 2 days*

(legitimate question though, OP)

I only had vomiting so the emesis bag in my coat was fine. I ran to the trash can but only had a few heaves, luckily I got most of it out before rounds started. Didn't disrupt multidisciplinary rounds much.

I had diarrhea one time, took some immodium and I did wear a thick incontinence pad from the supply closet just in case, but if things had been worse I would have done a full-on diaper.

As it was I was able to bolt in time to the bathroom and no spillage. It did make the S in the subjective with patients pre-rounding take on a whole new level of efficiency.

You have to take control of your bodily functions, you can't let them control you.

I’ve never taken a day off in 14 years in medicine. Recently showed up to work after being in the ER at 3 am the night before with kidney stones. I would though never show up in a incontinence pad if I had diarrhea. Can’t imagine myself presenting a patient in rounds wearing a diaper full of s’’’.

Reactions: 3 users
Just... no. There is SUCH a big difference between being in (a significant amount of) pain the night before work, or a lingering cough that made you throw out your back, and literally walking around spewing multiple sorts of infected bodily fluids in patient care areas. Your patients and coworkers deserve better than that. And let's not pretend that white coats are always clean, or that a lil layer of that white fabric will prevent the spread of viruses or bacteria to potentially susceptible patients.

Hopefully there's just some dense exaggeration or sarcasm in there, but I don't care how macho anyone thinks they are by showing up to work 'dealing' with infectious diseases, it's just disrespectful when it goes to far. I've seen it plenty, but usually it's just 'that person' who gets sick every month and always tends to use every single computer and keyboard, sneeze on everyone, and never use hand sanitizer...

You should check your hospitals infection control policy on carrying around bags full of vomit while you are leaking viral infected feces everywhere.

You should check your hospitals infection control policy on carrying around bags full of vomit while you are leaking viral infected feces everywhere.

Eh, besides the dry heaves in the trash can, the rest was in the bathroom. No one seemed to care.

People go in with colds all the time and wear a mask. Adenovirus van hit anywhere in the GI tract, so that "headcold" can turn into vomiting and diarrhea easy.

I would argue even with a mask there's a higher risk of infection to others from cough and runny nose than vomit and diarrhea. I think it's clear which are more limited in radius. Plus, handwashing.

You do whatever is expected of you. Every culture is different. My program was pretty small.

The only times I ever went home was bloody diarrhea while doing a rotation abroad.

And a cold as a med student when I was supposed to go to a nursing home, but I let the attending send me home after showing up in a mask (that am, we didn't meet at the old folks home).

I’ve never taken a day off in 14 years in medicine. Recently showed up to work after being in the ER at 3 am the night before with kidney stones. I would though never show up in a incontinence pad if I had diarrhea. Can’t imagine myself presenting a patient in rounds wearing a diaper full of s’’’.
I tried to go back after an ER visit for a kidney stone, my attending at the time wouldn't let me. Apparently 2mg IV morphine makes you incapable of being a doctor.

I'm not believing your story.

I'm not believing your story.
2b0e9673d8debb257b4f00d559aa1c5e--yoda-quotes-body.jpg

Always chuckled at the people who would take pride at martyring themselves by parading around with an IV attached to them.

Interestingly one person who I know who did this in residency was gunning for a chief resident spot.

I'm sure their immunocompromised patients appreciated them that day,

I'm not the first resident to have carried an emesis bag with me - where do you think I got the idea?

If you actually used it, you would throw it away.

I'm not the only resident that has puked while at work, JFC. Tales abound, not sure why mine sounds so unbelievable.

It was a Kaplan MCAT instructor that seriously suggested incontinence pads if you thought coffee and your bladder might not get along for some of those timed tests. I've worn one (and never needed it) for the MCAT and Steps. IDGAF. They're hardly that different from menstrual pads -just thicker.

I've mentioned that for years on this forum. Not sure what reason I have for admitting something so many people seem to think I should be embarrassed by, consistently for years, except to offer an unconventional solution to inconvenient bodily functions, in less than forgiving settings. That's basically what they exist for, right?

It's like you guys don't think sharts are a thing. I'm not going to stay home from work because I'm at a risk for a shart. Just going to tough it out with a pad.

I'm not the first resident to have carried an emesis bag with me - where do you think I got the idea?

I'm not the only resident that has puked while at work, JFC. Tales abound, not sure why mine sounds so unbelievable.

It was a Kaplan MCAT instructor that seriously suggested incontinence pads if you thought coffee and your bladder might not get along for some of those timed tests. I've worn one (and never needed it) for the MCAT and Steps. IDGAF. They're hardly that different from menstrual pads -just thicker.

I've mentioned that for years on this forum. Not sure what reason I have for admitting something so many people seem to think I should be embarrassed by, consistently for years, except to offer an unconventional solution to inconvenient bodily functions, in less than forgiving settings. That's basically what they exist for, right?

It's like you guys don't think sharts are a thing. I'm not going to stay home from work because I'm at a risk for a shart. Just going to tough it out with a pad.

It's people like you that cause mass outbreaks of norovirus

Um, so not every case of vomiting or diarrhea is rota or norovirus, guys.

Sometimes it's just a bad taco.

Um, so not every case of vomiting or diarrhea is rota or norovirus, guys.

Sometimes it's just a bad taco.
I still find it hard to believe one can work through vomiting. I had "just a bad taco" (actually bad chicken parm) for dinner earlier in the week, woke up realizing something wasn't right, went to work, but went home sick after seeing my first patient. I had barely ushered him out the door of my office when I realized I wasn't even going to make to the bathroom, turned around, closed the door, and immediately emptied my stomach into the trash can. For the rest of the day I was in agony. All I could do was sit on my couch motionless, under a blanket with the heat cranked up to 75, moaning, occasionally testing my stomach with an ice chip but finding even that to be too much. By evening I managed to sip a little Gatorade and a bit of chicken and rice soup, but no way I could have spent the day standing up or moving around at all, let alone seeing patients.

I still find it hard to believe one can work through vomiting. I had "just a bad taco" (actually bad chicken parm) for dinner earlier in the week, woke up realizing something wasn't right, went to work, but went home sick after seeing my first patient. I had barely ushered him out the door of my office when I realized I wasn't even going to make to the bathroom, turned around, closed the door, and immediately emptied my stomach into the trash can. For the rest of the day I was in agony. All I could do was sit on my couch motionless, under a blanket with the heat cranked up to 75, moaning, occasionally testing my stomach with an ice chip but finding even that to be too much. By evening I managed to sip a little Gatorade and a bit of chicken and rice soup, but no way I could have spent the day standing up or moving around at all, let alone seeing patients.

Hmm, so it sounds like ralphing at work isn't a total BS story....

I don't pretend like I haven't had gastro or food poisoning or whatever to the point I would call in sick to any job.

Lol, the only time I was as sick as you state was food poisoning from homemade deer jerky.... and the time I drank 6 bottles of red wine to myself one evening. No, really, 6 bottles of wine to myself. I can think of a couple other offhand times a virus or food made me about that sick.

I wasn't going to go there, but since I'm being accused of being a liar... when my parent died suddenly and unexpectedly, I went back after calling out only 2 days. Grieving was the first time I discovered just how much emotional upset can affect the GI tract. I wasn't even having a fit of upset or anything. I just ate lunch and the next day that exact same lunch came up, like it hadn't moved, just sort of rotted in my stomach. That sort of gastroparesis stayed with me for a while, and ironically that's when I lost the 5-10 vanity pounds that diet and exercise couldn't move earlier in med school.

My first day back we had to have an end of life conversation with this totally cachetic cancer patient, and I just lost it. That was a trash can heaves moment for me. Luckily I didn't have an appetite and already got sick that morning, so nothing to lose. The rest of that rotation leading up to the memorial I carried an emesis bag. I'm not ashamed to say that more than once I had to go to the bathroom or have heaves. I know for a fact my colleagues were aware. But what do you do?

I knew more than one colleague who was sexually assaulted and somehow dealing with PTSD type sx and they would have to make a run to the restroom. I assumed to gather themselves, but after what I learned about GI upset, possibly more, and I wouldn't know.

There's some sort of Scrubs scene with Elliot in the closet crying early intern year. It's not that far off reality.

Anyway, the point is that there are multiple reasons to have various symptoms,

I have a good friend who gets GI migraines and would vomit up to 10 times a day at work in the hospital. Yes, really.

Anyway, after my parent died, I just sorta got used to the idea of showing up to work even if I thought puke might happen. Not all vomiting is so uncontrollable you can't do your gorram job. Even the times it was a virus, if I thought I could keep from puking or shytting on someone, I would go to work.

I've done a prep for a colonoscopy, so there's definitely a scale for how controllable diarrhea is as well.

Hi everyone,

I'll be direct. If you can still function safely in your job with shaking chills, fatigue, and muscle aches, and you can practice universal precautions adequately, then it would often be expected that you go in and not call in a sick day.

Yes, if you must go to the ED then you suspect that you may have a life or limb threatening illness, and most people cannot do the complex tasks associated with the practice of medicine in those scenarios. If you are hospitalized, it is unlikely that you can perform your work tasks. This is assuming that your hospitalization extends beyond just the need for IV fluids you hear residents pull along with them on rounds.

Remember, that for it to be gastroenteritis you must have enteric symptoms.

My point earlier, is that if you can take effective action regarding the spread of your viral illness, and can apply appropriate medical interventions that should not impair your practice, such as legally prescribed zofran, immodium, OTC cold/flu medications, etc, for symptom management, then you should go to work.

I found mostly fasting in the am and while at work, only eating things in the BRAT diet category just to mop up a little stomach acid, to be most effective when I had nausea and I had concern for vomiting, from a virus or otherwise.

Vomiting at work doesn't necessarily bother me. I threw up every day for the first two trimesters when I was pregnant. But I was 100% sure I couldn't infect anyone else. My program was very clear they didn't want us at with with gastroenteritis. It sucks a lot more when the entire residency program gets sick over a few days than when one resident misses a day to protect the rest of the program.

I guess it comes down quite a bit to the culture of your program, OP. Ask when you get there.

i just laughed so hard i sharted

I'll be direct. If you can still function safely in your job with shaking chills, fatigue, and muscle aches, and you can practice universal precautions adequately, then it would often be expected that you go in and not call in a sick day.

Yes, if you must go to the ED then you suspect that you may have a life or limb threatening illness, and most people cannot do the complex tasks associated with the practice of medicine in those scenarios. If you are hospitalized, it is unlikely that you can perform your work tasks. This is assuming that your hospitalization extends beyond just the need for IV fluids you hear residents pull along with them on rounds.

My point earlier, is that if you can take effective action regarding the spread of your viral illness, and can apply appropriate medical interventions that should not impair your practice, such as legally prescribed zofran, immodium, OTC cold/flu medications, etc, for symptom management, then you should go to work.

I found mostly fasting in the am and while at work, only eating things in the BRAT diet category just to mop up a little stomach acid, to be most effective when I had nausea and I had concern for vomiting, from a virus or otherwise.
Most infection control guidelines say that you must be symptom free for 48 hours before returning to work.

Uh, no.

Pro tip: no one is going to praise you for this sort of irresponsible thing. No one. You'll be known as "that guy" if you do this. You put everyone else at risk of infection, including patients, and colleagues or may be immune compromised as well.

The way you use sick days: responsibly. You call out when you're legitimately sick and/or you're contagious. Doctors traditionally have this thing about showing off their commitment to care. They come to the hospital and round with an IV in the arm so everyone knows how dedicated they are. More and more, people look down on that sort of thing. No one wants someone that sick being responsible for their lives. Don't do this. If you're sick, stay home. If you're not, work hard. Simple as that.

Uh, no.

Pro tip: no one is going to praise you for this sort of irresponsible thing. No one. You'll be known as "that guy" if you do this. You put everyone else at risk of infection, including patients, and colleagues or may be immune compromised as well.

The way you use sick days: responsibly. You call out when you're legitimately sick and/or you're contagious. Doctors traditionally have this thing about showing off their commitment to care. They come to the hospital and round with an IV in the arm so everyone knows how dedicated they are. More and more, people look down on that sort of thing. No one wants someone that sick being responsible for their lives. Don't do this. If you're sick, stay home. If you're not, work hard. Simple as that.

This is very residency/specialty dependent. During my intern surgery year I vomited on the way to work one day (food poisoning, stomach bug, who knows). I called my fellow and they told me I was needed for rounds, to come in and change scrubs, round, do what needed to be done, and then I could leave early if necessary. I went in at 5:30 am left at 1pm, and I was still charged a sick day for leaving early.

Luckily surgery isn't my specialty, and now when I'm sick I stay home where I belong.

This is very residency/specialty dependent. During my intern surgery year I vomited on the way to work one day (food poisoning, stomach bug, who knows). I called my fellow and they told me I was needed for rounds, to come in and change scrubs, round, do what needed to be done, and then I could leave early if necessary. I went in at 5:30 am left at 1pm, and I was still charged a sick day for leaving early.

Luckily surgery isn't my specialty, and now when I'm sick I stay home where I belong.

Yeah, surgery is notorious for this kind of behavior. It's pretty deplorable.

You will have an allotted number of sick days as part of your contract. When you’re sick, you use them. This tomfoolery above is yet another reminder that in psychiatry, you’re treated like a normal human being.

Gastro or fever. We have a yearly gastro outbreak (peds) and we’re encouraged to stay home/not spread it. I also called out for PNA in med school because I couldn’t walk without being SOB and I’d probably have done the same if it had happened in residency. I feel like most people at my program are reasonable and we all know what it’s like to have to cover someone so we don’t abuse the system.

Why would you come to work with chills and muscle aches? Very decent shot you could have the flu which could be fatal to a person in the hospital

Why would you come to work with chills and muscle aches? Very decent shot you could have the flu which could be fatal to a person in the hospital

Because you want to appear tough, and don’t give a **** about the patients you may infect. There are always others available to cover. That’s what a good admin chief resident does—-plan for things like this. Yeah, no one likes to cover for a sick colleague, but patient care trumps everything. If you don’t just have the sniffles, but are actively shedding a potentially dangerous virus, no one thinks you’re tough for showing up. In fact, as an attending I’ve told residents not to show their face around the hospital if they are vomiting/having diarrhea/coughing without stopping. Get the f*** out, no one needs you, I certainly don’t need your Ebola infected dying a** in my operating room. In a well-run program, especially a surgical one, residents are a privilege, not a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
yet in all my time as a premed, med student, and resident, this was not at all what I observed in training or in practice

yet in all my time as a premed, med student, and resident, this was not at all what I observed in training or in practice
In all my time and at various hospital I have never seen anyone do that...sure people may have come not feeling well but someone was feverish or throwing up, the chief sent them home.

Just common sense alone should say that an infectious person should not be coming in contact with even sicker people...