Sick day before Vacation in Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just coming back to this thread, as you are all probably up to date on the news, many Americans are being stranded overseas as countries are closing down borders. Be safe y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

Just coming back to this thread, as you are all probably up to date on the news, many Americans are being stranded overseas as countries are closing down borders. Be safe y'all.
Update: I postponed my thailand trip. I went to Costa Rica and came back fine though. I hope this coronavirus thing is over sooner than later

Last edited:
Update: I postponed my thailand trip. I went to Costa Rica and came back fine though. I hope this coronavirus thing is over sooner than later

Did you tell your program this?

Reactions: 1 user
The problem with personal days is that, since people are continually burning through them for vacation, there generally aren't enough of them to deal with a bad year when you need a lot of medical care. Complicated pregnancy, MVA, etc. Its a better system to have 2-4 weeks of actual sick days, with the clear expectation that you aren't going to need more than 3-4 days in most years.

Do people actually get 2-4 wks of sick days? Seriously. We get 6 days. They are technically personal days on some rotations, sick on others. Never actually used all of them, usually 2-3/yr. 3 wks of vacation, 6 sick/personal days, and 5 days for CME. Starting to get why I'm feeling burnt out.

Do people actually get 2-4 wks of sick days? Seriously. We get 6 days. They are technically personal days on some rotations, sick on others. Never actually used all of them, usually 2-3/yr. 3 wks of vacation, 6 sick/personal days, and 5 days for CME. Starting to get why I'm feeling burnt out.

At my program, we got 12 days of sick time. Considering we don't work weekends, that's a little over 2 weeks. We also got 20 days of vacation which was about 4 weeks considering we don't work weekends. On top of that, we had 3 personal days and 5 conference days. You could use your personal and conference days for sick time if you needed it, so when all was said and done, it would be 20 days of sick time. If you add vacay into that, 40 days total time off per academic year (8 weeks in a program that doesn't work weekends).

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
At my program, we got 12 days of sick time. Considering we don't work weekends, that's a little over 2 weeks. We also got 20 days of vacation which was about 4 weeks considering we don't work weekends. On top of that, we had 3 personal days and 5 conference days. You could use your personal and conference days for sick time if you needed it, so when all was said and done, it would be 20 days of sick time. If you add vacay into that, 40 days total time off per academic year (8 weeks in a program that doesn't work weekends).
This will vary among specialties...for
IM and IM sub specialties , taking more than 4 weeks off/year would require extension of the residency/fellowship, esp if it’s > a month over at the end of the residency/fellowship ... <1 month it is up to the discretion of the PD and GME. Doesn’t matter if the institution gives the time

Reactions: 1 user
Currently a 3rd year resident. I have been using one sick day before my vacation days start. I will usually call out sick and do a doctor appointment to get things out the way for that day. I've only been doing this on my outpatient rotations where I can easily block my schedule in advance so it does not put pressure on any of the residents and attendings. Apparently the administration has noticed I've been doing this and made comments to me (residency coordinator and secretaries.) I have a upcoming vacation soon. I am in New York where we get mandatory 12 sick days by state law. My question is, should I take the sick day or just lay low? The assistant program director said it "looks bad to take a sick day right before vacation" but has not threatened punitive action.
This is specifically against policy at my residency- any sick days taken adjacent to vacations are taken from your vacation days because it's pretty obvious what you're doing. Most jobs I have worked would fire people for this.

Reactions: 2 users
This will vary among specialties...for
IM and IM sub specialties , taking more than 4 weeks off/year would require extension of the residency/fellowship, esp if it’s > a month over at the end of the residency/fellowship ... <1 month it is up to the discretion of the PD and GME. Doesn’t matter if the institution gives the time

Yeah, I chose a pretty cush specialty.

Based on all these responses, you stuck a nerve.
I suggest you go to work the Friday before your next vacation.
Call in sick the Monday you come back.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Based on all these responses, you stuck a nerve.
I suggest you go to work the Friday before your next vacation.
Call in sick the Monday you come back.

Yes, definitely take bad advice from someone whose sole purpose in creating an SDN account under this name was to give you bad advice...

Reactions: 2 users