Applying with a 3.0?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakeintrouble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.0 GPA overall due to my first semester in school. I was in an accident and failed all of my courses, I did not get them removed due to ignorance. I also had a subpar second semester, I transferred and changed majors to Biochemistry.

I graduated with a 3.0 uGPA overall
3.45 after the first year

3.88 gGPA in Health Administration

Good Volunteering

Great letters of Rec

3 years of work as research assistant and Lab Tech

Supervisor on Clinical research project

32 on MCAT but I am retaking in April and shooting for the stars. Ive been studying a lot.

Do I have any chance? My last three semesters in Biochem are 3.7+

Also, since poor classes were at a different university it is very hard to do any retakes.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.0 GPA overall due to my first semester in school. I was in an accident and failed all of my courses, I did not get them removed due to ignorance. I also had a subpar second semester, I transferred and changed majors to Biochemistry.

I graduated with a 3.0 uGPA overall
3.45 after the first year

3.88 gGPA in Health Administration

Good Volunteering

Great letters of Rec

3 years of work as research assistant and Lab Tech

Supervisor on Clinical research project

32 on MCAT but I am retaking in April and shooting for the stars. Ive been studying a lot.

Do I have any chance? My last three semesters in Biochem are 3.7+

Also, since poor classes were at a different university it is very hard to do any retakes.
Why are you retaking a solid MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user
Don't retake the mcat...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I seem to recall this cycle being the last one that the old MCAT is accepted

I think that it's a good idea to retake and aim high, I don't think that the old score will be accepted in the next application cycle. Most schools only take scores that are less than 3 years old, maybe a few will take a score older than that.

My first semester I had a 2.7, but I had an upward trend and a high MCAT score. I was able to snag 4 MD IIs. When you get to the interview stage, you have to articulate why you performed the way that you did if they do ask you. I think you have a great shot so keep doing those diagnostic exams and kill the new MCAT!

Since those poor grades are from your first semester more than likely they will look past it in favor of your most recent performance. If you kill the mcat you have a pretty good chance in my opinion!

You are still within range of making it in. You showed that you can compete in medical school. I would go ahead and retake the MCAT because you need that to be quite high to compensate for the GPA. Consider applying to your five safety schools right now while also retaking the MCAT.

You could have gotten into DO school this cycle with that MCAT probably. I guess you do have to retake it now because the old one is not accepted anymore.