Applying to UCONN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MedDiva said:
Hey me.again,
I actually had to decline my interview to UConn, because I had to commit to a summer program at UNC-Chapel Hill (Medical Education Development Program). I was really interested in doing the program at UConn, but I couldn't give up the UNC program without knowing whether or not I would get accepted to the Minority B program at UConn. Sorry that I couldn't give you any feedback.
MedDiva

No Probs. Best of luck to you at UConn!!!
It must feel good to know what you'll be doing for the next couple of months. I dodge and hide from people , trying to avoid that question. I feel so flaky saying I don't know. It's already May you know?
and the program starts in June!!!

Members don't see this ad.

me.again said:
No Probs. Best of luck to you at UConn!!!
It must feel good to know what you'll be doing for the next couple of months. I dodge and hide from people , trying to avoid that question. I feel so flaky saying I don't know. It's already May you know?
and the program starts in June!!!

My bad, temporary mind lapse .
Best of luck at UNC :luck:

me.again said:
Hey MedDiva. I have an interview also but since I'll be going out of town I'll have to interview on the 23rd . When is your interview? Would you mind posting some feedback.
Ps... I'm relatively new so I haven't figured out how to work the PM thing :confused:

me.again,

I think the postbac interview is somewhat similar to the interviews they do for the regular med school. I would check with the interview feedback link on the home page of sdn and look under UCONN. It seems like most people had positive experiences interviewing at UCONN, low stress, friendly people. I've read previous posts that you interview with one of the deans of admissions and a faculty member for the postbac, so I imagine the feedback for the med school interviews is somewhat applicable to the postbac interviews. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. Has anyone interviewed for the uconn post-bacc program yet, and if so, how did your interview go with keat sanford?
thanks!
~R

I applied Apr 1 and still haven't even received any communication...I already made plans to go to Upenn, but a response would have been nice. Sort of rediculous that the program starts mid June and they haven't gotten back to people yet.

emsct said:
I applied Apr 1 and still haven't even received any communication...I already made plans to go to Upenn, but a response would have been nice. Sort of rediculous that the program starts mid June and they haven't gotten back to people yet.

wow, that does suck. :eek:

I just interviewed for UConn Post Bac Program A. It wasn't bad, but now is the hard part. No decisions 'til the end of June...

craigerct said:
I just interviewed for UConn Post Bac Program A. It wasn't bad, but now is the hard part. No decisions 'til the end of June...

Yeah, waiting to hear from them is driving me crazy! :scared: I had my interview on May 20th, and was told that I would know something by the 15th of June. I am applying to the regular B program, not minority. Has anyone heard anything?

R~~

I recently interviewed and was also told the decision would be by the end of June. I'm getting a little anxious b/c I just got accepted to the drexel program and they want a 500 dollar deposit by the 22nd. UConn's program is my top choice so I'm hoping I find out their decision before the 22nd so that I don't waste that deposit money at drexel if I ultimately get into the UConn program. Good luck to everyone!

I believe the committee is meeting on the 21st or 22nd. Good luck to all

dca_55 said:
I recently interviewed and was also told the decision would be by the end of June. I'm getting a little anxious b/c I just got accepted to the drexel program and they want a 500 dollar deposit by the 22nd. UConn's program is my top choice so I'm hoping I find out their decision before the 22nd so that I don't waste that deposit money at drexel if I ultimately get into the UConn program. Good luck to everyone!

what program did u apply for?

SGMD1 said:
I am considering applying to Program B for the Fall of 2006, and was curious about the statement made on the program's website: "The Admissions Committee can grant a contingency admission to the school of medicine. The committee grants roughly 1/3 of the admissions offered."

What exactly does this mean? Anyone been through the program?

Although I did my post-bacc at UCONN independently, I knew many of the people in the formal UCONN program. Basically, if you keep a high GPA and score 30 or above on the MCAT you will be granted a spot in the medical school. I know most people in the program still had to interview before being granted admission, however I don’t know whether this was a formality or the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
RussianRocket said:
Although I did my post-bacc at UCONN independently, I knew many of the people in the formal UCONN program. Basically, if you keep a high GPA and score 30 or above on the MCAT you will be granted a spot in the medical school. I know most people in the program still had to interview before being granted admission, however I don’t know whether this was a formality or the real thing.

Hey RussianRocket - How did you complete this PostBacc "independently"... did you just sign up for all the classes on your own? Are you allowed to? Also - did you get into UConn Med after and do you think it helped?

the reason I ask is that I got placed as an alternate for PostBacc B, and am thinkin about doin what you did. just fyi - my stats are 29Q MCAT (10B, 10P, 9V), 3.50 GPA, 3.29 Sci GPA.

thanks!

SGMD1 said:
Thanks for the info. Is this an official guarantee made by the school or an "unofficial" guarantee sort of like the one made by Rosalind Franklin's program? Do you know what the GPA cutoff is?

I believe that the guarantee is unofficial until you get your MCAT results. The cut off is at 30, but I do know at least one person scored a little lower and was accepted after much discussion and explanation. I don't know the exact GPA cutoff, but I can only imagine that they expect a 3.6 or above.

I'm not sure where in the application process you are right now, but I would seriously not worry about getting into this (or any other post-bacc program). I applied to the UCONN post-bacc and was placed on the waiting list (read rejected), so I took the same courses as a "continuing education" student. Same school, same courses, same professors, same outcome: I'm going to medical school. The only difference was that Dr. Sanford (dean of admissions at UCONN Med) strongly suggested I take the two year program, where as I took only one year to complete what I felt was necessary for my application to medical schools. Then I had to "wait" one year after taking the required courses to apply to medical schools. Most people in the program, can go straight into UCONN Med, and that I believe is the only advantage of the program. Although, I know of at least one person that chose to apply to other schools, and thus had to do the one year of applications after the end of the program.

Hope this helps, and good luck...

WFUTracy83 said:
Hey RussianRocket - How did you complete this PostBacc "independently"... did you just sign up for all the classes on your own? Are you allowed to? Also - did you get into UConn Med after and do you think it helped?
thanks!

I just signed up for classes at UConn. If you are doing this right now, I would suggest to sign up for the courses through the Continuing Education office (http://continuingstudies.uconn.edu/nondegree/ndstudy.html) at UConn, and do it now. You can always drop the classes if you are accepted into the program, but you'll be loosing a semester of time and classes if you wait for their reply and it comes out negative. My final rejection came in mid-September, which is way too late to sign up for classes.

I did get into UConn Med, but I also applied to other schools, and I'll be going to Columbia P&S this fall. So I'd say this is a completely valid approach for the post-bacc.

Hey RR... Thanks for all the good advice. You took all your courses in Farmington, right? I was thinking of taking them all at Storrs. My reasoning is that it might be a little less competitive and would be easier to get A's. Do you think Dean Sanford might think similarly though - taking the easy way out? I also like Storrs a little better b/c I could take a couple other courses not offered at Farmington.
Also - did you take 4 courses each semester??

thanks!!!

WFUTracy83 said:
Hey RR... Thanks for all the good advice. You took all your courses in Farmington, right? I was thinking of taking them all at Storrs. My reasoning is that it might be a little less competitive and would be easier to get A's. Do you think Dean Sanford might think similarly though - taking the easy way out? I also like Storrs a little better b/c I could take a couple other courses not offered at Farmington.

thanks!!!

just for clarification, the medical school is in farmington. you can't take undergrad courses there, only at storrs or a regional campus (ie stamford, torrington, waterbury, etc). I also think the reputation is that classes are more rigorous in Storrs than in the regional campuses. the formal postbacs at uconn take classes in storrs, so you probably want to take your courses there.

dca_55 said:
just for clarification, the medical school is in farmington. you can't take undergrad courses there, only at storrs or a regional campus (ie stamford, torrington, waterbury, etc). I also think the reputation is that classes are more rigorous in Storrs than in the regional campuses. the formal postbacs at uconn take classes in storrs, so you probably want to take your courses there.

dca_55 is right. I took my post-bac courses at the Storrs campus because undergraduate courses are not offered at the Farmington medical campus.

Although I agree that courses at Storrs are more rigorous than at the regional campuses, I don't think the transcript from UConn indicate what campus you took the course. And since your pre-med transcripts are sent to AAMC for the application and not to particular schools, there is little chance that anyone (including Dean Sanford) would find out where you took the class.

Of course, you don't want to put yourself at a disadvantage with respect to the MCAT and medical school preparation in general by taking watered-down courses in subjects that matter - bio, chem, physics, etc. So I would suggest taking them at Storrs, unless that is a really inconvenient location. Courses such as history and literature can easily be taken at the regional campuses, or even other local colleges depending on what is more convenient.

WFUTracy83 said:
I also like Storrs a little better b/c I could take a couple other courses not offered at Farmington.
thanks!!!

Storrs does offer more courses and more time slots per course than the regional campuses. I also think the professors may be more interesting there, of course that's just my oppinion.

I put my post-bac together as follows:

Summer 2003: two sessions of general chemistry 127-8 with lab (so I could take Orgo in the fall)
Fall 2003: OChem 243, Physics 131, Bio 107(way too easy), Cell Bio -MCB210 (good course)
Spring 2004: OChem 244, OChem Lab 245, Physics 132, Genetics MCB200 (easy), also took MCAT this semester.
May Term 2004: Modern Lit

If I were to do it over, I would substitute Bio 107 with something useful, like Microbiology. The semester would be hard but I'd learn more. I would keep the spring semester easy because that's when I prepared for the April MCAT.

Russian Rocket and DCA... thanks for all the help!! I don't know why I assumed the Post-bacc courses were in Farmington. I actually already took all the prereqs & MCAT... so I'm just takin upperlevel science courses. here's what I'm thinking:
Fall:
Microbio (with lab),
Organic 2 (no lab - I already took it - got an A)
Basic Immunology
Something easier: maybe Health Care Policy... does that sound good/boring/useful?
Spring:
Human Anatomy & Physiology
Genetics
Health and Aging
something else

I've already take biochem & cell-bio too.

what do you think?
thanks so much for your help!!!

Hey WFUTracy83,

Just thought I'd let you know that the Human A&P course at UConn is 2 semesters (PNB 264 and 265)--and you can only take them in order, starting in the fall. It's a great class, and will be super helpful when you get to med school!

Hope this helps!

(I'm a UConn undergrad alum)

DrLanie said:
Hey WFUTracy83,

Just thought I'd let you know that the Human A&P course at UConn is 2 semesters (PNB 264 and 265)--and you can only take them in order, starting in the fall. It's a great class, and will be super helpful when you get to med school!

Hope this helps!

(I'm a UConn undergrad alum)

Thanks DrLanie... I'm glad you said something!!!

I was not accepted into the UCONN post bac program after my interview. I was a double psychology and music major with a cum gpa of 3.852, Honors program at St. Michael's College, psych. honor society, music scholastic awards, (delta epsilon sigma) national catholic honor society, phi beta kappa, and a one year internship at DCF in St. Albans, VT. No idea what they are looking for, but their loss I guess, i was accepted elsewhere... hope this helps people instead of deterring them....

Oh and after receiving the rejection letter, it took three weeks of emails and calls just to get through to Dr. Sanford to find out about the specifics..., which were the interviews that I felt went very well...

i would love to meet the 12 people they ending up chosing (did you need to be a rhodes scholar that healed babies alongside mother teresa in calcutta for admission?) b/c they sure passed up on some quality people. if the way they administered the app process is any indication of how the program runs, i'm glad i'm not heading there for my post bac. my 2 cents

emsct said:
i would love to meet the 12 people they ending up chosing (did you need to be a rhodes scholar that healed babies alongside mother teresa in calcutta for admission?) b/c they sure passed up on some quality people. if the way they administered the app process is any indication of how the program runs, i'm glad i'm not heading there for my post bac. my 2 cents

I believe they have more than enough qualified applicants, so I think they look for a diverse group. I got rejected from the post-bacc program, but I knew a guy who got accepted. We had the same major - Comp Sci, and similar experiences and stats. The only difference was I came from a state school and he graduated from Carnegie Mellon. So who could blame them? They gave both of us a chance. Maybe he wowed them on the interview, or maybe I made a fool of myself, or maybe we were identical in that too. If that's the case, then they went with the logical decision I would make: pick the guy from the better school.

In the end, I don't think it mattered one bit. I had my goal (and I suppose he had his), and eventually I was accepted into medical school without a formal post-bacc program. I say take this experience as a practice for the real applications, and then go and do what you have to do to apply and get into med school.

Rocket,

How did you go about getting research/volunteer positions and were you able to get letters of recommendation? I know that most formal postbac programs have a comittee that will write a letter for you but being that you were not enrolled in the formal program, what type of letter(s) were you able to obtain?

Thanks

hokiemon said:
How did you go about getting research/volunteer positions and were you able to get letters of recommendation? I know that most formal postbac programs have a comittee that will write a letter for you but being that you were not enrolled in the formal program, what type of letter(s) were you able to obtain?

The letters of recommendation are easy. If you will take additional courses for your post-bacc (which I assume you will), then you can get recommendations from the professors in those courses. Also, since you will need a premed committee to send a composite letter, I would suggest going to your post-bacc institution’s premedical advisor. Alternatively, you can have your new recommendations sent to your undergraduate institution’s premedical advisor. I took my courses at UConn-Storrs and had no problems getting good recommendations.

Dr. Joseph Crivello is the undergraduate premedical advisor at UConn-Storrs. If you end up taking your post-baccalaureate coursework at UConn, I would suggest seeing him to make sure he starts a file on you. But remember, he deals with a lot of freshman who are “premeds”, most will probably drop the idea after a semester or two, so you have to go in there knowing what you want and what you need from him. First, figure out what courses you think you want to take, and then tell him this is your plan. He will let you know if there are other courses which he thinks are beneficial, but don’t expect him to put together a great program for you. Also, when it comes for getting the composite recommendation letter out, give him your school list as soon as you can, preferably over the summer because he probably has more time to deal with it then during the semester.

Volunteer positions are pretty simple to obtain. Just go to any local hospital and ask for the volunteer office (if hospital volunteering is what you want). They should be able to set you up with something. Although I volunteered at a hospital, I don’t know how crucial this was for my application. I think every premed has it, and it’s just a token - no one will think you saved anyone in the ER. I volunteered in the ER just to see the environment, and to test whether I truly want to work in medicine. If you want something to stand out on your application, I would suggest being more creative: organize fundraisers, read to sick children, or translate if you know a second language. Do something that’s both interesting and truly beneficial.

A good research position is a little harder to come by. I applied to all sorts of research fellowships with no success, until an acquaintance mentioned that she’s leaving her research job and that the lab is looking for a replacement. I got lucky: a great lab, interesting research, and I actually contributed to a publication. But once again, research is not mandatory for application to med school. You should try it if you’re interested, but don’t drive yourself insane if you can’t find anything. If you’re really desperate to work in a lab, and don’t care if you get paid then mass email your CV and a letter of intent to every researcher at a major university. Then talk to your science professors, they may be able to help.