George Washington GCATS vs UCONN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkfreud1394

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was recently accepted to the GW GCATS program and Program B at UConn. I am having a hard time deciding between the two, so any and all advice or shared experiences would be very helpful, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Was recently accepted to the GW GCATS program and Program B at UConn. I am having a hard time deciding between the two, so any and all advice or shared experiences would be very helpful, thanks!
I was recently accepted to the GW GCATS program as well and I am in the process of deciding which program to enroll in. In my opinion, the only major con of the GCATS program is the credit requirement. They only require 18 credits over the course of 2 semesters to complete the program, which seems like a rather insignificant number of credits given the length of time. I am concerned that medical schools may frown on only taking 9 credits a semester. I actually emailed the program director with this concern a few days ago and her response was: "The typical GCATS student has a very full plate, even though the number of credits is not extensive. This is the year that most students are submitting their applications to Med School, preparing for taking (or retaking) the MCAT, and (hopefully) preparing for interviews at Med Schools." She also assured me that previous GCATS students have found success following the program, 50% of the previous class matriculated during the next application cycle and several students matriculated via linkage.

Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with the UConn program, but hopefully this helps you better weigh the pros/cons of each. Please let me know if you have any additional information to add regarding the GCATS program. Good luck in your decision making process!

Twilk10,

I decided to accept GW's offer, it seemed to be a good fit for me, all things considered (location, resources/opportunity for research and employment following completion of program, possible linkage). I don't know that I have any more information that you wouldn't already have but I did get the feeling like it was a good fit for me and that Dr. Hirshfield and the other faculty take a very personalized approach to each member of the cohort. I know today is the deadline to accept their offer, so feel free to PM me about it going forward if you are coming to DC!

Members don't see this ad :)
Twilk10,

I decided to accept GW's offer, it seemed to be a good fit for me, all things considered (location, resources/opportunity for research and employment following completion of program, possible linkage). I don't know that I have any more information that you wouldn't already have but I did get the feeling like it was a good fit for me and that Dr. Hirshfield and the other faculty take a very personalized approach to each member of the cohort. I know today is the deadline to accept their offer, so feel free to PM me about it going forward if you are coming to DC!

Congratulations! I agree with everything you said and there is a very good chance I will also be accepting the offer in the near future. They actually gave me a June 1st deadline (I suppose I interviewed a couple weeks after you), so I still some time to make my decision. I have a couple other programs I am still waiting to hear back from, but I might choose GW even with offers of admission at those schools. I will PM you with my final decision if you are interested. Best of luck!

Hey I also accepted the GW program. I am doing the Masters version of Anatomical and translational sciences. Feel free to PM me if you would like to!

Hey I also accepted the GW program. I am doing the Masters version of Anatomical and translational sciences. Feel free to PM me if you would like to!
Hello!

do you mind sharing your stats when you got accepted? What if I apply for GCATs but want to switch to the masters program afterwards? is that possible? and also, did you turn in any entrance exams as well?

Congratulations! I agree with everything you said and there is a very good chance I will also be accepting the offer in the near future. They actually gave me a June 1st deadline (I suppose I interviewed a couple weeks after you), so I still some time to make my decision. I have a couple other programs I am still waiting to hear back from, but I might choose GW even with offers of admission at those schools. I will PM you with my final decision if you are interested. Best of luck!
Hi! Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm interested in getting into the program as well!

Twilk10,

Hi! Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm interested in the program as well!