Applying OB 2016 match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptSilentDuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for OBGYN for the 2016 match. I am male, go to a top 20 Med school located in the southeast. Have a poor Step 1 score of 210, will be taking Step 2 in August. Grades are average to below average. Consistently positive remarks from residents and attendings on all evaluations but only honors in Surgery. No High pass at my school but based on my test taking history and skills, shelfs are a weak spot.

I'm planning to apply broadly both based on circumstance and being interested in really going anywhere in the country as long as the program is a fit. Besides applying to both programs I fit in on paper ( numbers, grades, location, connections, etc) and applying to reach programs, what is the best way to approach the application process.

I've been told by residents and attendings I will interview well, likable, I work hard, am easy to get along with and work with, etc. I'm not naive about where I stand. Getting my foot in the door is my biggest challenge. Not to say some programs may not like me, but on paper I don't offer what I do in person and on the job.

I have 1 publication in Orthopedics. Another ongoing project in Orthopedics. Most of my few extra curriculars are in orthopedics. I'm working on boosting my OB activities.

Looking to see where I stand and what some more experienced people think.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tippy top programs have their pick of likable, hardworking, easy to work with people who also do well on standardized tests. The likelihood that you will have an issue with CREOGs and written boards will be hard for them to overlook. Killing Step 2 could help mitigate that, but programs like Brigham, Pitt, Brown, etc. will be reachy reaches with your app as it currently stands. Definitely apply to reaches- ERAS is not the time to be cheap, and you never know where your app will get a sympathetic eye. Apply to places where your letter writers trained, and where they know people, especially PDs. And then run the gamut of university programs in your regions of choice.

Good luck!!

Better to have a Step 2 score available then none at all. Most places will still interview you if passed Step 2 with a score or 200 or better on 1st attempt. MANY places will not interview unless the Step 2 score is available and at least 200.

I am applying for OBGYN for the 2016 match. I am male, go to a top 20 Med school located in the southeast. Have a poor Step 1 score of 210, will be taking Step 2 in August. Grades are average to below average. Consistently positive remarks from residents and attendings on all evaluations but only honors in Surgery. No High pass at my school but based on my test taking history and skills, shelfs are a weak spot.

I'm planning to apply broadly both based on circumstance and being interested in really going anywhere in the country as long as the program is a fit. Besides applying to both programs I fit in on paper ( numbers, grades, location, connections, etc) and applying to reach programs, what is the best way to approach the application process.

I've been told by residents and attendings I will interview well, likable, I work hard, am easy to get along with and work with, etc. I'm not naive about where I stand. Getting my foot in the door is my biggest challenge. Not to say some programs may not like me, but on paper I don't offer what I do in person and on the job.

I have 1 publication in Orthopedics. Another ongoing project in Orthopedics. Most of my few extra curriculars are in orthopedics. I'm working on boosting my OB activities.

Looking to see where I stand and what some more experienced people think.

Thanks
I am in a similar boat, thanks for asking the question. Good Luck!