Applying now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So the past few months I have spent my time learning about podiatric medicine. I really like where it is at and where it is going. I am a biology major, have taken the mcat but have not applied to any other medical schools. I have a 22 on the MCAT and 3.33 overall with a 3.04 science. I know the priority deadlin e is today, but would I have any shot at all applying now? (Absolute deadline is end of July). Specifically thinking about OCPM but would be open to suggestions. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

PreMed9 said:
Hi everyone,
So the past few months I have spent my time learning about podiatric medicine. I really like where it is at and where it is going. I am a biology major, have taken the mcat but have not applied to any other medical schools. I have a 22 on the MCAT and 3.33 overall with a 3.04 science. I know the priority deadlin e is today, but would I have any shot at all applying now? (Absolute deadline is end of July). Specifically thinking about OCPM but would be open to suggestions. Thank you all.

If you want to get into OCPM then I don't think it is too late. But have you toured through schools or looked into other schools? I don't mean to insult anyone but there are definite quality levels at the schools. Don't get me wrong you can be successful anywhere, but some schools are a little more challenging than others. Some schools have much nicer facilities than others, and some schools have close connections to the top level residencies. One thing to think about, why are some schools still looking to fill next year's class and others are filled?

My advice would be, wait and apply early next year, that way you can choose the best school and not settle for schools. You have a good numbers so you will be accepted to all of the schools; I think that you'll be happier w/ your choice and more secure in your future.

PreMed9 said:
Hi everyone,

OCPM is changing their facilities and location and from what I hear, its pretty nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
IlizaRob said:
OCPM is changing their facilities and location and from what I hear, its pretty nice.
They have announced that they are moving but have not announced a time frame to my knowledge.

i just applied last week.. i already have interviews at des moines, san fran, miami , and i got letters that ny & temple are awaiting my transcripts...

i think if you apply now you will have no problems. just my 2cents.

jonwill said:
They have announced that they are moving but have not announced a time frame to my knowledge.

I just know someone who interviewed there recently. He said they showed them the new facilities and they were moving next year. So I guess its hear-say. But you know this person as well.

TO the OP if you know ocpm is the school for you then go for it and apply.

But like Jonwill said some schools can offer you more than others.

krabmas said:
TO the OP if you know ocpm is the school for you then go for it and apply.

But like Jonwill said some schools can offer you more than others.

Hey, why does Jon get all of the credit, I said that. Gosh.

IlizaRob said:
I interviewed at Ohio and loved it (I will be there this fall). We got to see the new building on the driving tour. It is remarkably nice. Supposedly they will be moving throughout the next year, so we will be spending our first year at the old school and the remainder of our time with the new.

PickledEels said:
I interviewed at Ohio and loved it (I will be there this fall). We got to see the new building on the driving tour. It is remarkably nice. Supposedly they will be moving throughout the next year, so we will be spending our first year at the old school and the remainder of our time with the new.

I hear you are losing the clinic that is in the city though.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I hear you are losing the clinic that is in the city though.
Supposedly, they tell us that the clinic will be moving too. But not right away. I believe they are still working out the details on that one. According to the students that took us on tour, they believed that the clinic would be more associated with a branch of the cleveland clinic that is near the new school.

I've also been looking into Podiatry Schools and wondering if anyone can provide some input about the general curriculum..

Are the semesters continuous? Or, are students given "breaks", such as summer break (a few months off), etc. I can't remember which school i was looking into (NYCPM..maybe?), students are in school for the Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer sessions. Is this generallly the same for all Podiatric Schools?

Thanks for any input

UofT-Girl said:
I've also been looking into Podiatry Schools and wondering if anyone can provide some input about the general curriculum..

Are the semesters continuous? Or, are students given "breaks", such as summer break (a few months off), etc. I can't remember which school i was looking into (NYCPM..maybe?), students are in school for the Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer sessions. Is this generallly the same for all Podiatric Schools?

Thanks for any input

I can only comment on CPMS. We have breaks more so your first and second years. Maybe Mr.Jonwill can comment on the third and fourth years.

We don't really have sessions or semesters b/c classes begin and end throughout the year. Some classes run for months others for weeks.

At CPMS, you take all of your classes w/ the DO students your first year (except OMM which only the DOs learn, big loss :laugh: ). Second year, we have pharm w/ the DOs and have our systems the first part of the year. The second part of the year is all pod classes; we end w/ a summer clinical rotation. The third year is clinics and some more pod classes such as derm and trauma. Fourth year is completely external rotations. The nice thing about CPMS is you get to choose your rotation and you are not required to spend any time in an affiliated program.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I can only comment on CPMS. We have breaks more so your first and second years. Maybe Mr.Jonwill can comment on the third and fourth years.

We don't really have sessions or semesters b/c classes begin and end throughout the year. Some classes run for months others for weeks.

At CPMS, you take all of your classes w/ the DO students your first year (except OMM which only the DOs learn, big loss :laugh: ). Second year, we have pharm w/ the DOs and have our systems the first part of the year. The second part of the year is all pod classes; we end w/ a summer clinical rotation. The third year is clinics and some more pod classes such as derm and trauma. Fourth year is completely external rotations. The nice thing about CPMS is you get to choose your rotation and you are not required to spend any time in an affiliated program.

You get a Christmas break years 1-3 and a spring break years 1 and 2. You get a summer break after your first year and a possible small one after your second (but you have a summer rotation and part 1 board exams). Your 4th year (June-May), you can take one month off if you choose to (many take that Dec off for residency interviews). You graduate in late May and usually don't have to start residency until July 1.