Applying to extra prelim medicine programs now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OurDeadGrass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would my application even be looked at? I've enjoyed IM a lot during med school and am starting to question the advanced specialty that I am applying into. I applied to local prelim IM programs but am now thinking about applying to higher tier ones. My thought process is that I could do the intern year and if I really liked it and performed well, would be able to convert into a PGY2 at my prelim institution.

Is this feasible or make any sense at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Would my application even be looked at? I've enjoyed IM a lot during med school and am starting to question the advanced specialty that I am applying into. I applied to local prelim IM programs but am now thinking about applying to higher tier ones. My thought process is that I could do the intern year and if I really liked it and performed well, would be able to convert into a PGY2 at my prelim institution.

Is this feasible or make any sense at all?
If you're thinking about doing IM instead of whatever other specialty you're applying for, why not just add some categorical IM programs instead?

To answer your question directly, "it depends", which is the answer to every single question of this type (90% of the questions overall) asked here on SDN.