Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimXRT

Want2bRadOnc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, n00bie question for you so don't hate too much:
I know Letters are a very important part of your app for residency but do you need 3 RadOnc Letters? How much would I hurt my app by having just 2 from RadOnc?

Members don't see this ad.

It will hurt you, a lot. You need to get at least 3 Rad Onc letters of recommendation (LOR's), hopefully from well known people, ideally you should have 4 all from well known people. They help more than you could ever imagine, seriously its amazing how much stoke residency programs put in them. Amazing. LOR's are definitely in the top 3 most important factors for matching well (which are namely boards, lors, and research)

They are pretty easy to get, just do an away rotation at any big Rad Onc program and try to work with the chair or another well known faculty member there. If you are at least on time and a generally interested/nice person they will likely write you a letter. Even if you only work with them a couple of times, they will still likely write you a letter. Good luck.

How do you know whether or not a name is "big" enough to count as a letter from a "big name?"

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good question.

If you have to ask, "Hey, are you a big name?" it may be an indication they are not.

My test is: throw the name out there, and if radonc, GFunk, or G'VilleNole have heard of them, then they are a big name.

-S

I think that 2 rad onc LORs are necessary. A third letter from a rad onc helps, but I don't think it would hurt you significantly (at least at the department I work in) to have your 3rd letter be from a non-rad onc. However, a third letter from a rad onc is good insurance in case one of your letter writers isn't a very good letter writer (you want at least two strong letters from rad oncs).

I think that 2 rad onc LORs are necessary. A third letter from a rad onc helps, but I don't think it would hurt you significantly (at least at the department I work in) to have your 3rd letter be from a non-rad onc. However, a third letter from a rad onc is good insurance in case one of your letter writers isn't a very good letter writer (you want at least two strong letters from rad oncs).

2 is enough and a bigger name is better. ask the residents in the program what they think of your letter writers...or just post on here...

At WashU, I know that Hallahan, Michalski, and Bradley are the bigger names. How about Joseph Simpson, Robert Myerson and Wade Thorstad? Is ok if the letter is from an attending at a big name program? Even if the writer themselves are not big names?

Speaking of WashU, has anyone worked with Dr's Taylor or Mansur there?

From what I can see in this thread, getting a letter from a "big name" at a "big name place" would be a great thing for your application.

Would the letter still be worthwhile if you can get a good letter from a faculty member at a "big name place" if that faculty member were not a professor, but listed technically as an "instructor?" I've been working with someone for quite a while and he's an MD on the faculty of a top tier place, but he's still only an instructor. I think I could get a good letter from him but I'm not sure if it'll be worth anything if he's not an assistant/associate/professor, etc.

any thoughts?