A Question for all Rad Onc Applicants this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applicants to our program from previous years have strongly recommend that we prepare some type of handout for them. Presumably, this would summarize a few facts about the program.

As applicants my question to you is: What would you like to see included in such a handout?

It fell upon me to whip up something and rather then guessing what you want I though I would ask you all directly.

Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

In no particular order, things that would be nice to see include:

recap of the technology (treatment machines, ct sims, etc)
idea of patient volume
protected research time allotted
list of resident names and contact info

thanks for putting something like this together -- would be nice to see this become standardized!

The average stats of the current residents?

General criteria for selection of residents?

Organization of the residency rotations? Are residents on one cancer service for 3-4 months (Head&Neck, GI, CNS, etc) or is it all mixed in during each rotation?

Placement of graduating residents? i.e % of residents going into private practice or academics...no specific locations.

Members don't see this ad :)
The average stats of the current residents?

General criteria for selection of residents?

Organization of the residency rotations? Are residents on one cancer service for 3-4 months (Head&Neck, GI, CNS, etc) or is it all mixed in during each rotation?

Placement of graduating residents? i.e % of residents going into private practice or academics...no specific locations.

I second this. I think it's important to see and know the general trends of residents who were accepted. Also, I'd like to know, on average, how far down the program's rank list they have to go before they get a match. I've heard of programs having to go down over half of their ranked applicants before they got a match.

I second this. I think it's important to see and know the general trends of residents who were accepted. Also, I'd like to know, on average, how far down the program's rank list they have to go before they get a match. I've heard of programs having to go down over half of their ranked applicants before they got a match.

Actually, I've heard of programs going through their ENTIRE rank list without getting a match.

I think it would be interesting to know these things, but I'm not sure how it helps applicants.

In no particular order, things that would be nice to see include:

recap of the technology (treatment machines, ct sims, etc)
idea of patient volume
protected research time allotted
list of resident names and contact info

thanks for putting something like this together -- would be nice to see this become standardized!

I agree with these suggestions. I would also add (as someone else suggested) where alumni have gone and highlights of significant areas of research that residents have been involved in.

It would be great to have not just averages, but ranges for boards and other quantitative factors. It's a subtle detail, but one I learned during the medical school application process and found very helpful at times. Thanks for asking for our feedback!

I would like to know:
1) Board pass rates for physics and RadBio, written clinical exam and oral clinical exam for the past 10 years.

2) A DETAILED, weekly didactic schedule (no nebulous, generic comments about how didactics are important, please).

3) Average number of patients that are on-treat per attending physician.

4) How many attendings have an academic day every week?

Thanks.