Question about submitting application/interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuberose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

How early is it recommended to submit the residency application? Also, how early do the PDs look at the applications to give out interviews? I wasn't sure if the prelim/transitional year interviews started earlier or around the same time as the radonc ones.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

i remember asking the same question a number of times last year. some people say to submit the app the first day (sept 1st), some say it doesn't matter much.

so anyway i submitted sept 15. theres some variability in when the pds actually look at the apps; some programs start in september and recheck on a weekly/biweekly basis. some programs start in october, and some programs seem to even wait till nov 1st when the transcripts are officially uploaded and most letters of rec have been received.

so i would probably aim for as early as possible without sacrificing the quality of your app. i kept mid sept as a deadline for myself, ideal is probably within first two weeks of sept, latest probably beginning of october

i remember asking the same question a number of times last year. some people say to submit the app the first day (sept 1st), some say it doesn't matter much.

so anyway i submitted sept 15. theres some variability in when the pds actually look at the apps; some programs start in september and recheck on a weekly/biweekly basis. some programs start in october, and some programs seem to even wait till nov 1st when the transcripts are officially uploaded and most letters of rec have been received.

so i would probably aim for as early as possible without sacrificing the quality of your app. i kept mid sept as a deadline for myself, ideal is probably within first two weeks of sept, latest probably beginning of october

thanks!! Also, is it okay for our step 2CK scores not to come in until november?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks!! Also, is it okay for our step 2CK scores not to come in until november?

It's okay if your step 2 score doesn't come in at all. However, if you want it in for evaluation of your application, I'd shoot for October (before the dean's letter comes out on Nov 1).

Getting the application in early is more applicable for TY/prelim. They will start sending out interviews the first week. They may offer more interviews later, but I think it's best to get them out of the way early so they don't interfere with radonc interviews in Nov/Dec/Jan.

Good luck!

It's okay if your step 2 score doesn't come in at all. However, if you want it in for evaluation of your application, I'd shoot for October (before the dean's letter comes out on Nov 1).

Getting the application in early is more applicable for TY/prelim. They will start sending out interviews the first week. They may offer more interviews later, but I think it's best to get them out of the way early so they don't interfere with radonc interviews in Nov/Dec/Jan.

Good luck!

Thanks! Your answer stems another question :): how early do the prelim interviews start? I am planning on taking my step 2 mid-October and am afraid of missing out on prelim interviews if I am studying for step 2 up until my date of the test in october.

Thanks! Your answer stems another question :): how early do the prelim interviews start?

Immediately. Although prelim medicine interviews are usually pretty flexible (as opposed to radonc or TY) and have tons of interview days. However, I'd try to get them out of the way as quickly as possible.

I am planning on taking my step 2 mid-October and am afraid of missing out on prelim interviews if I am studying for step 2 up until my date of the test in october.

I'm a little confused why you're taking step 2 in mid-October. If you didn't do well on step 1, you should get step 2 results out ASAP (Nov 1st score release at the latest) before you get passed over by programs. If you take it in mid-October, you won't get the score back until the 2nd or 3rd week of November and may be SOL for a number of programs.

If you did well on step 1 (>230), I recommend taking step 2 in January or later.

Immediately. Although prelim medicine interviews are usually pretty flexible (as opposed to radonc or TY) and have tons of interview days. However, I'd try to get them out of the way as quickly as possible.

I'm a little confused why you're taking step 2 in mid-October. If you didn't do well on step 1, you should get step 2 results out ASAP (Nov 1st score release at the latest) before you get passed over by programs. If you take it in mid-October, you won't get the score back until the 2nd or 3rd week of November and may be SOL for a number of programs.

If you did well on step 1 (>230), I recommend taking step 2 in January or later.

I made above a 230. The only thing is our school has its own deadline to have the test done by December, so I was just wanting step 2 to be done after my aways but before the start of interview season. Just didn't know if there is a certain score you have to make to make the initial cut. Too many options, I say!

I made above a 230. The only thing is our school has its own deadline to have the test done by December, so I was just wanting step 2 to be done after my aways but before the start of interview season. Just didn't know if there is a certain score you have to make to make the initial cut. Too many options, I say!

Okay, then mid-October is fine. Sorry for misunderstanding.

You'll be able to take breaks in studying to go on prelim interviews. Just hold yourself to no more than 2 prelims and 5 TYs. That should be plenty and you'll likely match at your #1. Step 2 isn't too bad so don't worry about losing a few days of studying to go on these interviews. Try to get through UWorld once and read the explanations (2-3wks is plenty for a good score). Don't bother with books for this one.

230 for step 1 was my arbitrary cutoff from looking at the stats. In reality, I don't think radonc programs screen by step 1, but 230 is certainly competitive and I know people who have gotten into great programs with lower than that. If you crush step 2, you can go ahead and release it mid-November and it might strengthen your application.

7illo,

You've posted in the Radiation Oncology forum. From your question, you may want to repost in the pre-allopathic forum.
In approximately 4 more years, you can definitely post back here to question your chances for rad-onc.

And to answer your question, in my personal opinion applying now is fine, take the MCATs again and just resubmit your score.

Most importantly, sit down with your college advisor, (who's likely guided others through the same situation as you find yourself in), and ask him/her all your questions.

Good luck!

ry