Application for Flinders 2011 "Early Decision" entry are now open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raigon

This is an emergency.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On January 13, 2010, the application for Flinders University School of Medicine have opened and are now online. Applications are direct to the school online webpage at:

https://som.flinders.edu.au/internationalapplicants/

Closing Date is April 30th and in May, interview offers will be given to the most qualified applicants and interviews will be held (Those with a good combined score of the MCAT and GPA). NO letters of recommendations, personal statements, etc etc are required! YES YES YES!!!

Only these few things will be held in consideration for admission:

• a Bachelor's degree and transcript (completed before commencing Medicine)
  • Admission Test results
  • Interview
A few things to keep in mind:

• If your Bachelors degree will be completed in 2010, you may submit an application for classes commencing in February 2011.
  • If you do not already have current GAMSAT or MCAT results, you need to register to sit GAMSAT (March test) or MCAT (by May 31 test date).
A complete online application requires the following:

• A photograph (jpg, less than 20kb, maximum size 200 pixels height and 200 pixels width)
  • scanned transcript(s) from your Bachelors degree including transcripts showing topics for which you received transfer credit towards your degree
  • GAMSAT or MCAT test results or indication that you will be sitting test by May 31st (see above) - MCAT forward it via THX to Australia Education and research (it's under "other")
  • Application fee ($55.00)
Official transcripts need to be sent to the Admissions Office in Health Professional Education (details below).
Postal address:

The Admissions Office, Health Professional Education
School of Medicine
Flinders University
Box 2100 GPO Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5001
Address for Courier delivery:

The Admissions Office, Health Professional Education
C/- Mail Room, Flinders Medical Centre
2 Flinders Drive
Bedford Park, South Australia, 5042

I'm thinking of applying early, but not sure if it's a good idea just yet, because I'll be taking midterms next semester probably in May. But then again I can take an official leave if I can.

Anyone else applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recommend applying early if Flinders is where you want to go. The early decision program gives you a distinct advantage in admissions.

Feel free to PM me for advice/suggestions on entry :)

Odd...

Flinders' early decision hasn't been posted on Paging Dr. And it hasn't been mentioned in any other medical forums, either. Don't tell me I'm the only applicant who's submitted so far! That would be preposterous!

Erm... okay so here goes waiting. (Until late April or so when interview invitations are given - pretty cool if I get my invitation on my birthday - April 25th. I think Dr. Tony Edwards did that for a student once - sent the invitation on one of the applicant's birthday. Nice guy, Tony Edwards. I'm sure you all agree).

So...... Transition: Do you remember the scenario questions for 2010? I looked up Paging Dr. and they only have the interview questions up to 2009. Do you remember any? It'll help me a lot! =D

Members don't see this ad :)
OMFG I've been notified of an early decision interview in May for Flinders University by Dr. Tony Edwards!!!

I've never even got an interview for the US meds; having been offered an interview put a smile on my face. Makes me feel like I'm not such a failure after all. I've been feeling that way ever since every single US medical school rejected me without even an interview offer. But now I actually have something to hope for!

But... now what? I've got an interview, but how do I prepare for it? Getting an interview is only half the battle. It would suck if I underestimated the interviews and didn't get in because of that =/. Hmm... I know there are some threads on the paging dr. boards with past interview questions, I think I'll start with that.

That is ridiculously cool! Good for you Raigon. :thumbup:

I recently applied to Flinders as well, but am not taking my MCAT until mid May. I wonder if that has any bearing on whether I would/could squeeze into the early decision interviews...

Most likely a question for Dr. Edwards.

Again, congrats and good luck.

Pax

That is ridiculously cool! Good for you Raigon. :thumbup:

I recently applied to Flinders as well, but am not taking my MCAT until mid May. I wonder if that has any bearing on whether I would/could squeeze into the early decision interviews...

Most likely a question for Dr. Edwards.

Again, congrats and good luck.

Pax

Thanks man, I wish the best of luck for you for the MCAT! You'll do fine, I'm sure of that!

Early Decision programs are for those who have completed and submitted their applications before April 30th, 2010 and early decision interviews are held in early May. And a complete application involves both your transcripts and MCAT. I'm not sure you'll be able to squeeze in as you're taking the MCAT probably after even the early interviews are held, but you can ask Dr. Tony Edwards.

Most likely you'll be considered in the main rounds, but anything could happen mate. If you don't make it in time, it's not the end of the world, most places are offered during the main rounds, anyway.

Hope to see you in Flinders!

Where are you from btw? US, Canada, Europe, Asia?

Thanks man, I wish the best of luck for you for the MCAT! You'll do fine, I'm sure of that!

Early Decision programs are for those who have completed and submitted their applications before April 30th, 2010 and early decision interviews are held in early May. And a complete application involves both your transcripts and MCAT. I'm not sure you'll be able to squeeze in as you're taking the MCAT probably after even the early interviews are held, but you can ask Dr. Tony Edwards.

Most likely you'll be considered in the main rounds, but anything could happen mate. If you don't make it in time, it's not the end of the world, most places are offered during the main rounds, anyway.

Hope to see you in Flinders!

Where are you from btw? US, Canada, Europe, Asia?

Congratulations Raigon. Now breathe, and cruise through the interview.
Remember you are already in when you walk in the door. What you say, just confirms their decision.

Congratulations Raigon. Now breathe, and cruise through the interview.
Remember you are already in when you walk in the door. What you say, just confirms their decision.

K! Thanks for the kind words. I'll definitely do my best to put on a smile, be confident, and act natural.

By the way, are interviews for international applicants extremely different from those of the local applicants or are they basically the same?

K! Thanks for the kind words. I'll definitely do my best to put on a smile, be confident, and act natural.

By the way, are interviews for international applicants extremely different from those of the local applicants or are they basically the same?

I can only quote the experience of the "international nerds" at Monash. The interview material is the same as that for the locals. My guess is that they will also be looking at your english language proficienct, and judging whether you can fit in with whatver their school ethos/culture is.

I'll ask someone tommorow and let you know the details of the Monash interview- just incase it translates into something you can use at Flinders.

I can only quote the experience of the "international nerds" at Monash. The interview material is the same as that for the locals. My guess is that they will also be looking at your english language proficienct, and judging whether you can fit in with whatver their school ethos/culture is.

I'll ask someone tommorow and let you know the details of the Monash interview- just incase it translates into something you can use at Flinders.

Thanks mate! That would be quite helpful.

By the way, how's your arrangement for US trauma elective going?

Hey Raigon, congrats on the interview! That in itself is very impressive. I have a question for you. I am considering applying at Flinders as an international student (Canada) but am having a hard time finding stats to be able to weigh my chances of receiving an interview of maybe an offer. Would you be able to tell me around what your GPA and MCAT scores were? I understand if you don't feel comfortable, but if you don't mind I would greatly appreciate it! Congrats again in the interview! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Raigon, congrats on the interview! That in itself is very impressive. I have a question for you. I am considering applying at Flinders as an international student (Canada) but am having a hard time finding stats to be able to weigh my chances of receiving an interview of maybe an offer. Would you be able to tell me around what your GPA and MCAT scores were? I understand if you don't feel comfortable, but if you don't mind I would greatly appreciate it! Congrats again in the interview! Thanks!

No problem: Here are my stats:

1. MCAT: 30Q
2. GPA: 3.3~3.4 out of 4.0 (according to Flinders)

Dunno, but I think they were a bit borderline. Or maybe I was just freaking out. I calculated my GPA as 3.7, but it was lower by Flinders' calculation? Meh, so long as I can get an interview I'm okay.

And here was what an interview invitation (mine) should look like:

Subject: Graduate Entry Medicine, Flinders University

Dear Edwin

Thanks again for your online application to the medical program at Flinders University .

Members of the Admissions Committee have reviewed the applications received to mid-March and established a progress short-list of candidates to whom we will offer "early-decision" interviews in May.

I am happy to say that, based on your combination of weighted GPA and admission test scores, you will be on the short-list. Given that there is still about 6 weeks for submission of applications that might be considered for early interviews, it is too early to give a firm interview schedule. However, it is likely that interviews will be conducted in the period May 19-31. Possible locations in likely order are Los Angeles or San Francisco , Vancouver or Calgary , Toronto , London (UK) and possibly Hong Kong or Singapore . We will contact you with firm details about potential interview arrangements during April.

Could you please let us know which of the locations above would suit you for an interview in May – or if there are particular constraints on when or where you could attend an interview.

Kind regards
Tony Edwards

Dr A M Edwards
Chair, Admissions Committee
Health Professional Education
School of Medicine , Flinders University
GPO Box 2100 , Adelaide , South Australia 5001

Telephone: (618) 8204 4262
Fax: (618) 8204 5675
Email: [email protected]

CRICOS Provider Code: 00114A; BMBS Code:019225E

Typically an MCAT of 30P combined with a 3.3/4.0 GPA (N. American) would be considered on the "safe" side. A low MCAT could be countered by a higher GPA while a low GPA could be countered by a higher MCAT.

And also, they've allowed a section to write and list out all your extracurricular activities or work experience and such in case you're not too comfortable with your stats. I've heard of people with borderline or low MCAT and GPA given an interview because they have a lot of extracurriular activities, paper publications, work experience, clinical volunteer, etc.

They've certainly done a lot to weed out the possibility of people "almost" making it but not being admitted. People with borderline scores as I've said are given other options to prove their worth. And yes, in the message above they've included this year's possible interview locations.

SINGAPOREANS!!! SHOW SOME LOVE FOR FLINDERS XD. That way I can actually go for a face to face interview instead of resorting to a video interview via webcam or a phone interview. If that happens, it would certainly suck.

For people interested in early decision, there are only about 6 weeks left. Apply ASAP as soon as your March 20th GAMSAT scores are out. The Early Decision program WILL END around APRIL 30th. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Raigon,

Wow, thanks for all your help! I really appreciate you going to all the trouble, its all very informative. Best of luck to you with your interview and let us know how it went when your done! Thanks again

Hi Raigon,

Wow, thanks for all your help! I really appreciate you going to all the trouble, its all very informative. Best of luck to you with your interview and let us know how it went when your done! Thanks again

Thanks for the heads up! My interview won't be for another 6 weeks, but I'll need all the time I need to prepare! With my borderline scores, I'll probably need a stellar interview and I need both skill and luck to pull it off.

Hope to see you there if you're applying and good luck!

hey raigon...congrats on your interview man, this post has most def helped me a lot and now i most def know i wanna go to Flinders..Thanks again man u been very helpful

hey raigon...congrats on your interview man, this post has most def helped me a lot and now i most def know i wanna go to Flinders..Thanks again man u been very helpful

Good luck with the application bigblock454x

thanks man i still got 1 year in undergrad....

Then definitely make the best of your 1 year left, because that will definitely count. When you're applying and you need help, PM me and I'll share my personal experience whether I get in Flinders or another medical school.

And prepare your GAMSAT/MCAT like your life is on the line because retaking a test is more exhausting than running two marathons straight in a row.

Your GPA puzzles me. I was working mine out manually from here:

http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=289

They say to note the common scale that ranges from 0-7.0 so I'm not sure where you are getting the information on how to calculate your GPA from if there is an alternative source.

I'm not applying to Flinders because I'm kind of morally opposed to taking UMAT or GAMSAT or GRE or whatever the f*ck standardized tests... Don't get me wrong I'll do it if I have to but I greatly resent it.

Good luck with yours, though. I hope you managed to find some good information pertaining to your interview. I've managed to find a whole heap pertaining to mine (should I be lucky enough to get one). Fingers crossed for you, let us know how things go!

my apologies just realized you / they were talking about North American GPA calculation.

my apologies just realized you / they were talking about North American GPA calculation.

Haha, no problem.

We're international students here =D. This is the Australian medical school thread, so you got confused (I would have, too if I haven't read deeper). Good luck with your own applications.

good luck on the interviews/applications guys

sorry about being MIA the last little bit, internet in Aus is ass.

enjoy your awesome asia/north american internet while you have it and be prepared to step into the late-90s, technology-wise!

rant aside, if anyone has any questions or concerns, feel free to post here or, preferably (since I don't have internet yet... sigh), pm me. I'm a 1st year flinders gemp student and would be happy to help.

enjoy the time before meds hits ya! :)

good luck on the interviews/applications guys

sorry about being MIA the last little bit, internet in Aus is ass.

enjoy your awesome asia/north american internet while you have it and be prepared to step into the late-90s, technology-wise!

rant aside, if anyone has any questions or concerns, feel free to post here or, preferably (since I don't have internet yet... sigh), pm me. I'm a 1st year flinders gemp student and would be happy to help.

enjoy the time before meds hits ya! :)

Hi Transition! Welcome back!

If you have time, could you share your interview experience (or post it at pagingdrs)? That would be kick-@ass and extremely helpful =D.

If not, then if you have the stats, can you at least tell us the percentage of applicants getting an interview and the percentage of interviewed applicants getting an offer?

Because I'm a bit frightened by my borderline scores (not as high as I originally thought) and I'm afraid I'm at the bottom of the list for getting an interview offer (even though I got it really early, about a month ago I think).

A lot of friends I've made on SDN and paging drs are extremely helpful with my interview. I'm asking parents, friends, and professors to help me out and I'm going to put everything into full drive. I'm going to ace the interview if I can to solidify my position, so if you could help even a little, then you're the best. =D

Hello hello,

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone with Flinders interviews. I had a very good 4 years there and I still remember the excitement and dread during the application process.

Cheers
Ruth

Hello hello,

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone with Flinders interviews. I had a very good 4 years there and I still remember the excitement and dread during the application process.

Cheers
Ruth

Thanks! International admission is a tad bit competitive though (may be more competitive than locals as there are 300~500 applicants for 20 spots). I'll do my best on the interview, which will hopefully be in Singapore and not on the phone or through a webcam. Cheers and gl to all applicants!

Hey Raigon,

You are absolutely right, the competition is a bit stiffer for internationals. Up till a year or two before I went through, the admission scores for internationals were lower, but they have caught up and surpassed the Aussie scores. There are a few reasons for this. In my year (2004 intake) there were 30 international spots (incidentally about half of these were filled by Canadians like myself), and now there are fewer. Blame John Howard for this, by the way. Also, there are now quite a lot more domestic med school spots across the country, in a desperate attempt to fill doctor shortages in areas of need. Having said the competition is stiff, the fact remains that if you rock the interview, you will probably get in.

Lemme know if you have any Flinders/living in Adelaide/staying in Aus after graduation type questions

Ruth

Hey Raigon,

You are absolutely right, the competition is a bit stiffer for internationals. Up till a year or two before I went through, the admission scores for internationals were lower, but they have caught up and surpassed the Aussie scores. There are a few reasons for this. In my year (2004 intake) there were 30 international spots (incidentally about half of these were filled by Canadians like myself), and now there are fewer. Blame John Howard for this, by the way. Also, there are now quite a lot more domestic med school spots across the country, in a desperate attempt to fill doctor shortages in areas of need. Having said the competition is stiff, the fact remains that if you rock the interview, you will probably get in.

Lemme know if you have any Flinders/living in Adelaide/staying in Aus after graduation type questions

Ruth

Okay. I will.

I'll definitely be curious about the lifestyle in Australia if I get an offer. Most of my questions will be oriented towards the USMLE and returning to the United States, but there will also be quite a few questions about living in Adelaide (particularly about where there are good skate parks. SKATE PARKS. Can't live without skating and flying xD).

Last edited:
Hey raigon,

just curious, how did your GPA drop so much (3.7 --> ~3.3) when they did the conversion? My wGPA is definitely not 3.7 so I'm pretty worried since I'm sitting at a weighted GPA of between 3.2 - 3.4 (depending on the scale you use) and if they calculate with such a drop I'm screwed!

(Canadian intn'l student here)

Hey raigon,

just curious, how did your GPA drop so much (3.7 --> ~3.3) when they did the conversion? My wGPA is definitely not 3.7 so I'm pretty worried since I'm sitting at a weighted GPA of between 3.2 - 3.4 (depending on the scale you use) and if they calculate with such a drop I'm screwed!

(Canadian intn'l student here)

Actually, I'm not sure since Flinders use their own system of conversion for different schools. I'm sure they will use the 3.2~3.4. My school's just weird because they're pretty arrogant in stating that anything over 80 is a 4.0 GPA. Well that's a bit true since we have to do usually around 20~26 credits a semester. That's a LOT. And the material is a lot harder and crammed.

I have around a 79% average. Perhaps Dr. Tony Edwards thought that 80 or higher is an A, 70~79 is a B (hence landing me in that section), etc.

By the way, received email that my Dr. Tony Edwards suffered a knee injury while interviewing in London, rendering him unable to fly to Singapore. Hope he's all right.

But that injury did result in postponement of interview until further notice. For now, we don't know when... All Asian interviewees interviewing at Singapore received the same email and I received a personal phone call from his secretary.

Man... 21,000 NT wasted on that flight. x_x" My dad practically killed me (even though I bought the plane ticket with my own money from my job). We did manage to postpone it until August 5~6 (the potential Sydney interview).

****e, sorry to hear that Raigon (and sorry to Tony, will need to see if he's ok when he gets back).

Hopefully will get things figured out for ya. If you end up coming down here, let me know and I'd be happy to show you around the school/introduce you to folks :)

****e, sorry to hear that Raigon (and sorry to Tony, will need to see if he's ok when he gets back).

Hopefully will get things figured out for ya. If you end up coming down here, let me know and I'd be happy to show you around the school/introduce you to folks :)

I hope Dr. Edwards is okay. Let me know if he gets back and how his condition is. Keep me posted; I'm pretty worried about him.

Well, now my possible options are either a video interview via webcam (at our Australian Council Office in Taiwan), a very late early decision interview in the original location at Singapore that will probably merge with the main round interview (which defeats the whole purpose of applying for early decision), or I spend 30,000 NT to fly down to Flinders and probably an extra 10,000 for living expenses for a few days (good experience, but my dad will believe it'll be a waste to go there if I don't even make it in to pay double the amount I would've gone to Singapore with).

My folks didn't believe me at first; they thought I chickened out at the last moment the day before the flight and tried to "force" me to tell the truth. I showed them the email and told them that the call did come from Australia and it took them hours to believe me.

And worst comes to worst, people all around me are starting to ask how my interview went. Some even started giving me "scholarship funds" (tens of thousands of NT to help with my medical tuition - my uncle wanted to give me 10,000 US Dollars, saying how "proud" he is to have a second doctor in our family, with him being an orthopedic surgeon). And now I have to face them to say that the interview was postponed (they, as most oriental people think alike, will most likely think I chickened out as well and spend hours upon hours to convince them I was telling the truth. We are a notorious culture for being indirect and not as frank; beating around the bush and all. And as I grew up in America; I grew up to be a bit more direct and they don't accept it).

Gah... what a mess.

Sorry; being a bit selfish. Shouldn't be thinking about myself when another person is hurt. I really really hope Dr. Edwards is okay.

Anyway, keep me posted, if anyone knows anything. Tell me how Dr. Edwards is doing.

I just received an offer of place from Flinders. We're going to be school buddies, Transition! XD

Congrats Raigon!!! You must be very excited! Did representatives from Flinders end up making an interview tour for early entry applicants?

Congrats Raigon!!! You must be very excited! Did representatives from Flinders end up making an interview tour for early entry applicants?

We did a video interview, but only I chose that. And then we changed to a telephone conference because the quality of skype sucked.

Dr. Julie Ash and company did eventually set up another date for the remaining early applicants in Singapore and travelled there. She made the interview very relaxing and she was very encouraging. I liked her.

How is your own application going hopefulmd11?

Hey Raigon,

I'm pretty interested in applying to Flinders next year. I obviously missed the date this year and couldn't start until I finish my masters anyways (Sep/Nov 2011 hopefully).

I really like what I've been reading about the school and was hoping you could give me some insights. I think I have spoken with you before regarding GPA, etc. I don't know how Flinders calculates GPA and I know from Canada that my wGPA would be approximately 76% or 3.2-3.4 (the range is huge because as I said, I've used 3 different methods for calculating my GPA: AMCAS, OMSAS and my home institution). I don't know my MCAT as yet, I find out in 2 weeks :eek:

What is the benefit of applying early decision? Is there some advantage you get over other students? Are you restricted to only going to Flinders if you get accepted through ED (not that I'd complain)?

Hey Raigon,

I'm pretty interested in applying to Flinders next year. I obviously missed the date this year and couldn't start until I finish my masters anyways (Sep/Nov 2011 hopefully).

I really like what I've been reading about the school and was hoping you could give me some insights. I think I have spoken with you before regarding GPA, etc. I don't know how Flinders calculates GPA and I know from Canada that my wGPA would be approximately 76% or 3.2-3.4 (the range is huge because as I said, I've used 3 different methods for calculating my GPA: AMCAS, OMSAS and my home institution). I don't know my MCAT as yet, I find out in 2 weeks :eek:

What is the benefit of applying early decision? Is there some advantage you get over other students? Are you restricted to only going to Flinders if you get accepted through ED (not that I'd complain)?

Hi Rayjay:

Usually Flinders uses what GPA is on the Canadian scale and doesn't make much changes (OMSAS is the closest to what Flinders will calculate in my opinion). Your MCAT needs to be at least 27 for an interview (that's cut-off wise). A 30P or higher would be considered "safe". Usually a 30-ish MCAT with a 3.2~3.3 GPA is required to be considered competitive.

There is no benefit or disadvantage of applying to early decision from what I've found out. In fact, ED only accepts the most competitive of the students. So I was surprised I got in. They take some students from the early rounds and interview them. The rest, they toss into the main rounds for consideration.

As quoted by Dr. Tony Edwards in the email I asked regarding early decision:

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Hi Edwin,

The purpose of the Early Decision phase is really just to get the admissions process and interviews started and to make early offers of places to people who emerge as strongly competitive – ie. with a very good combination of admissions test scores, GPA and interview. For people that already have MCAT scores, an early application is probably good all around. One way or another you get an earlier indication of your prospects (and possibly an offer of a place) but neither earlier or later applicants are advantaged overall.

Regards,
Tony

And no, you're not restricted to only going to Flinders. There is no condition you have to accept.

In fact, most schools (like Flinders and UQ) have 3 rounds of acceptances. The early rounds, the main rounds, and the late rounds (aside from the school that only accepts applications via ACER, like the University of Sydney, which only has 1 round - the main round). Early rounds and late rounds are harder because they give out less offers (early rounds are difficult because they take some students and the rest they throw into the main rounds for consideration. Late rounds are just if not more difficult because most places are filled and you are essentially going for a waiting list). The main round is called the main round because that's where the vast majority of the offers and interviews are given out. That's where most people get the biggest chance.

Of course, schools don't like to say that there are 3 rounds. Some schools say that they accept applications all year long, except if the semester starts, you have to wait for the next school year.

No need to be afraid. We don't get a special advantage just because we're early decision.

Let me know if there are any other questions. I'll do my best to answer them as long as you've done your own share of reading first.

Hi Rayjay:

Usually Flinders uses what GPA is on the Canadian scale and doesn't make much changes (OMSAS is the closest to what Flinders will calculate in my opinion). Your MCAT needs to be at least 27 for an interview (that's cut-off wise). A 30P or higher would be considered "safe". Usually a 30-ish MCAT with a 3.2~3.3 GPA is required to be considered competitive.

Yeah I emailed Dr. Edwards about the early decision process. He basically said everything you told me as well. He said for Canadian schools that report in % and GPA they look at the % first. Which is a big bonus to me because my % average does not equal what my converted GPA would be. 76% versus the 3.1-3.2 that I calculated it to be :( 76.6% is roughly a 3.3 I think...

I actually got pretty innovative (read: creepy) and found a Flinders SOM alum from 2009 on facebook. He is from the same province as me and he's been answering a lot of my questions regarding the admissions process and the licensing process re: coming home.

I'll post here what I learn from him as I think he's a pretty valuable resource. It's one thing hearing this stuff from an AUSTRALIAN admissions officer, its a totally different story hearing it from a Canadian who graduated and is trying to get back into the system.

Yeah I emailed Dr. Edwards about the early decision process. He basically said everything you told me as well. He said for Canadian schools that report in % and GPA they look at the % first. Which is a big bonus to me because my % average does not equal what my converted GPA would be. 76% versus the 3.1-3.2 that I calculated it to be :( 76.6% is roughly a 3.3 I think...

I actually got pretty innovative (read: creepy) and found a Flinders SOM alum from 2009 on facebook. He is from the same province as me and he's been answering a lot of my questions regarding the admissions process and the licensing process re: coming home.

I'll post here what I learn from him as I think he's a pretty valuable resource. It's one thing hearing this stuff from an AUSTRALIAN admissions officer, its a totally different story hearing it from a Canadian who graduated and is trying to get back into the system.

Dr. Tony Edwards is the most helpful person in all of the admissions process of, well, ALL the schools. He's always informative, straight to the point, and gets back to you right away. I was very thankful of him and actually really sorry that he hurt his leg. Although it caused my interview to be delayed a whole month, I still constantly checked with Jennie McCulloch about his conditions. That could be helpful in the intervew I suppose.

I'm looking forward to welcoming you to Flinders next year as a younger brother in medicine. =D

I'm looking forward to welcoming you to Flinders next year as a younger brother in medicine. =D

Haha thanks! However I likely won't be matriculating (assuming I get accepted of course...:confused: ) until Feb 2012 as I won't be finished my Masters until Sep/Nov 2011

I wonder if they do deferred entry for graduate students? Guess I'm emailing Dr. Edwards again!

Well! Congratulations to all those who've made it into Flinders and I'll be looking forward to seeing you guys in February.

A couple of friends and I want to start studying for the USMLE early. If you're interested, PM me and we can form a study group right from the first day of school. The Australian curriculum is not geared towards the American system and if we want to ace the USMLE and match into a good residency program, we should start right away.

Let me know if you're interested. And once again, congratulations to everyone else who've made it and good luck to those still applying or waiting for results.

Best of wishes!

I wonder if anyone knows what are the chances of being accepted off the reserve list? I unfortunately am on the reserve list even though my weighted gpa is around 6.8/7 and MCAT 33. I thought I did fairly well in the interview haha, guess not. I also applied to bunch of US schools so maybe this is a blessing in disguise since I'll have more time to decide to go to Aussie or not.

I wonder if anyone knows what are the chances of being accepted off the reserve list? I unfortunately am on the reserve list even though my weighted gpa is around 6.8/7 and MCAT 33. I thought I did fairly well in the interview haha, guess not. I also applied to bunch of US schools so maybe this is a blessing in disguise since I'll have more time to decide to go to Aussie or not.

Your stats don't sound too bad at all. Better than mine at least. So unfortunately, yes, I do believe it was the interview. Though, I'm confused by your using the 7.0 scale, because one of the admissions officers told me they won't use the Aussie scale of 0~7 for GPA, but rather weighted percentage or one of the North American scales.

Also as a note, Dr. Tony Edwards told me on my offer letter that this year's early round applicants were particularly impressive and therefore accepted a lot more people than expected. Therefore, they probably made a reserve list pretty early. And according to pagingdr.net, many applicants who were given offers accepted the offer immediately.

Your stats are also pretty decent for a US applicant. I'll be surprised if you don't get an acceptance from at least one of the US medical schools.

I dont mean to downplay your GPA because I'm sure it's solid (and I'd kill for your MCAT score!!!) but I know that my cGPA is horrible...even for the lower tier US schools but when i converted it to the Aussie scale (7.0) it was pretty respectable, pretty close to yours actually. The weighting helps of course.
That being said, I'm positive (99% a < 0.001 :D ) NA applicants do not get their grades converted to the Aussie scale and rather, as Raigon mentioned, the Aussie schools calculated your GPA on a case by case basis.
Dr. Edwards specifically mentioned to me that my grades would be converted using percentages as my Uni reports both % and letter grades. As far as I am aware, Melbourne does the same.
That being said, I'm sure your 33 was far higher than the average so unfortunately I'm guessing yeah the interview was your "x" factor, especially since Dr. Edwards mentioned to me that interview can play a big role for Flinders.
Did you apply to any other Aussie schools? You seem like you'd be pretty competitive at Sydney and UQ, probably even Melbourne since their average MCAT (for last year) was a 31P

hey rayjay,

your gpa prediction is absolutely correct! my AMCAS gpa is only around 3.3 thanks to the crappy gpa of my first two years (and tons of A- in third and fourth year, argh!), but i do have an upward trend so hopefully US will give me a chance since my mcat score is alright. % wise, my overall grade is 78%.

as for aussie schools, i got accepted to syd and uq, but i was really aiming for flinders and anu only because of their much smaller class size (especially flinders!). and, i don't have the physiology prereq to be eligible for melbourne =(

i actually thought i would have a pretty good chance to be accepted to flinders since my stats are alright and i thought the interview went fairly well......

by the way, im a canadian/bc applicant, so in reality, ubc is my best bet actually haha. but again, canadian med application process is like a lottery, which sucks!

yeah im a bc applicant too...except my stats are lower than yours and UBC is notorious for being very strict on everything...i hate them, but i'd love to go there :p
four more years in (somewhat) sunny vancouver? awesome

yeah i'm screwed out of melbourne because i dont have the anatomy requirement and through my various emails i've learned that they are VERy strict about the pre-reqs...which i find somewhat annoying considering there are many canadian schools that are not. I mean, if you can get a 11+ in the bio section of the mcat, what are the odds that anatomy is that hard for you? especially since their minimum is only 2nd year anatomy! I dont want to spend another $500 on an anatomy course just so I can spend another $60000 going to melbourne...

the melbourne pre-reqs are to solidify the prestige of its new MD program since it's "different" and requires "upper level science pre-reqs". not trying to stir up conspiracy, but this whole MD program is just a marketing trick, similar to all these marketing campaigns made by usyd and uq med. the fact that flinders and anu didn't do much to market themselves in comparison makes them more reputable in my opinion. i mean, aussie is flooded with med graduates already with inadequate internship spots (especially NSW), so why further recruit more and more students?

i feel your pain rayjay. the only thing i like about ubc is its holistic approach when evaluating applicants. and, home sweet home. its exciting to study abroad for med but nothing beats home personally.

im also a master graduate! what's your master in?

the melbourne pre-reqs are to solidify the prestige of its new MD program since it's "different" and requires "upper level science pre-reqs".

the new melbourne MD is australia's first postgrad first professional degree in medicine. i think one reason the course has prereqs is because many probably feel there needs to be justification for it being postgrad rather than a traditional grad-entry undergrad course, many of which already exist in australia. the difference between undergrad and postgrad is that it builds upon previous knowledge and/or experience.

in 2014, UWA will take their first MD cohort. it is currently expected they will not have specific prereqs. i think the difference here is that Melbourne is the first to take this path and thus more pressure is on them to differentiate the postgrad course from the undergrad course.

not trying to stir up conspiracy, but this whole MD program is just a marketing trick, similar to all these marketing campaigns made by usyd and uq med. the fact that flinders and anu didn't do much to market themselves in comparison makes them more reputable in my opinion. i mean, aussie is flooded with med graduates already with inadequate internship spots (especially NSW), so why further recruit more and more students?

i dont see it as a marketing trick. the same thing happened in the US ~100 years ago. I believe Columbia Uni (or Penn?) was the first to offer the MD. For a while US degrees were bachelor degrees. The MD was introduced in the US by influence from the Scots. Historically the 2 english med schools, cambridge and oxford, offered the mbbch, and the one scotish school, edinburgh, offered the MD. In the 1800's there was a royal decree that all med degrees in the UK must be the mbbch, and from thenceforth there were no more scottish MD's.

the prereqs distinguish it as a postgrad degree. All but one US MD has extensive required prerequisite coursework. MUSC has no prerequisites; however, because they are the only school with no prerequisites, most all applicants would be expected to have completed the normal prerequisites simply because few med applicants apply only to one school. No Australian grad-entry undergrad medicine course has any formal coursework prereqs. The new Melbourne MD does, and that would be one reason it is a postgrad degree.

Last edited: