Application for Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsharp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When does it become available?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking VMCAS is open in June??? Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Doesn't mean you can't start on your personal statement or writing up brief descriptions of your experience

I think June as well. My advice, ask for letters of rec. and transcripts early, especially if you have multiple schools. I agree about the PS--that can take a long time to write as well--I went through many drafts.

Members don't see this ad :)
VMCAS says that applications can be submitted in early June. I was just wondering if the application was available to work on prior to this date. I've got my PS written (took me about 16 hours to write) and my LORs are lined up. Can you edit the application once you've submitted it?
Will VMCAS accept transcripts before June?

VMCAS says that applications can be submitted in early June. I was just wondering if the application was available to work on prior to this date. I've got my PS written (took me about 16 hours to write) and my LORs are lined up. Can you edit the application once you've submitted it?
Will VMCAS accept transcripts before June?

You cannot edit your application once you submit it. Transcripts are sent directly to the schools you apply to, not to VMCAS. I'm not sure if there is a date for when you can start sending them. I sent mine in early summer (around late June). To my knowledge, the VMCAS application is not available to work on until the website opens for that application cycle in June.

You cannot edit your application once you submit it. Transcripts are sent directly to the schools you apply to, not to VMCAS. I'm not sure if there is a date for when you can start sending them. I sent mine in early summer (around late June). To my knowledge, the VMCAS application is not available to work on until the website opens for that application cycle in June.

So what happens if things change? For instance, what if you get more/different experience over the summer? How can you show this to prospective schools? I think what I'm most concerned with is when to submit the application. Once my wife graduates in May, I am quitting my full time jobs to work in a clinic. Do I wait until I have a few months under my belt at the clinic or just submit it as early as possible? I just want my application to look as solid as possible.

So what happens if things change? For instance, what if you get more/different experience over the summer? How can you show this to prospective schools? I think what I'm most concerned with is when to submit the application. Once my wife graduates in May, I am quitting my full time jobs to work in a clinic. Do I wait until I have a few months under my belt at the clinic or just submit it as early as possible? I just want my application to look as solid as possible.

Most schools look at all applications around the same time regardless of when it was submitted. There are a few that don't, but they're the exception rather than the rule, so if you are getting more experience over the summer that you want to put on it, I'd wait until the end of summer to submit it. Your application doesn't move any faster and you don't get bonus points for submitting it in July.

Most schools look at all applications around the same time regardless of when it was submitted. There are a few that don't, but they're the exception rather than the rule, so if you are getting more experience over the summer that you want to put on it, I'd wait until the end of summer to submit it. Your application doesn't move any faster and you don't get bonus points for submitting it in July.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for such naive questions. Having not been through this before, it's hard to know what to expect.

I don't think there's any advantage to submitting it super early. Naturally, it's probably best to get it in a couple weeks early just to make sure there aren't any glitches, but I haven't found any evidence that it's advantageous to submit it in June. I waited until early September to submit mine because, like you, I had some experiences this summer (working in a specialty SA clinic and continuing a summer research project from the previous summer) that I wanted included in my app. Hope that helps!

Just a quick note for anyone planning on applying to OVC (Guelph) for class of 2013...the dates have all been changed from previous years. So the application is due January 1/09, and the MCAT is due the same day. Then BIF, transcripts and references are due March 1/09.

Ahhh, the MCAT. I have yet to tackle that one...:eek:

As everyone said it doesn't matter how early you send things in. But if you are dying to get some things crossed off the list of things you need sent in I would consider waiting to send in your transcripts. Some schools are still in the proccess of dealing with applicants for 2012 and they might not be in a position to handle new transcripts (it may get lost in the mix). Just a thought. Good luck applying.

Whoa kiddo, slow it down. The applications aren't due until October. The online application portion becomes accessible in June. Once you set up an account, you're welcome to edit it as much as you'd like until your final submission. I waited until the last week of September to submit my application last year, although it can get dicey towards the deadline with website malfunctions and heavy traffic.

You will also need to submit your GRE scores. When you take the exam, it prompts you to give the names of the schools you'd like to send them too. You can also send them to schools after the exam, but it will cost you.

Each school provides information for sending transcripts, fees etc. The online application is very broad, it does not deal with transcripts or other specifics.

Last year I set up an account the day the applications came out and spent all summer casually filling it out and updating it. It's less stressful and it allows you to revise several times before submission.

Whoa kiddo, slow it down. The applications aren't due until October. The online application portion becomes accessible in June. Once you set up an account, you're welcome to edit it as much as you'd like until your final submission. I waited until the last week of September to submit my application last year, although it can get dicey towards the deadline with website malfunctions and heavy traffic.

You will also need to submit your GRE scores. When you take the exam, it prompts you to give the names of the schools you'd like to send them too. You can also send them to schools after the exam, but it will cost you.

Each school provides information for sending transcripts, fees etc. The online application is very broad, it does not deal with transcripts or other specifics.

Last year I set up an account the day the applications came out and spent all summer casually filling it out and updating it. It's less stressful and it allows you to revise several times before submission.

I can't help it. Like all of us, I want this sooooooooo bad. It's all I can think about. I'm nearing the end of coursework, with only Biochem and Micro to take, and can't help but start planning. I know I have MONTHS to get everything ready but time goes quickly.

Thanks for all of the advice. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
May I also ask what your stats are at the moment?

From your replies, it looks like you have little to no experience. If that's the case, I would wait until the last possible moment to send the application.

Edit: Scratch that, I just snooped a bit and found them. You should be in good shape, just enjoy the ride :)

May I also ask what your stats are at the moment?

From your replies, it looks like you have little to no experience. If that's the case, I would wait until the last possible moment to send the application.

Edit: Scratch that, I just snooped a bit and found them. You should be in good shape, just enjoy the ride :)

Which replies made you think that? I'll have to be careful what I say from now on.

I'm not worried about my stats. I just hope that teaching veterinary gross anatomy, volunteering approx 8000 hrs at the local humane society, shadowing and working for a year at a small animal clinic will be enough. I've also worked at several equine facilities and dairy farms.

Like you said, I need to relax and enjoy the ride. :)

I can't help it. Like all of us, I want this sooooooooo bad. It's all I can think about.

I know this has been said already, but applying for 2013, you've got a lot of waiting ahead of you. Those of us applying for the Class of 2012, having actively begun work on the application process in June, are now at the end of January and still waiting. Waiting for interviews to happen, waiting to hear back from schools on acceptance/waitlist/rejection, and even in the case of some schools still waiting to even be notified of interview invites. I'm so sick of waiting, I can't imagine how sick of it I'd be if I'd started getting spun up about it 6 months earlier.

That being said...just breathe and try to think of other things occasionally. :)

i was in a similar situation (I had a new internship starting in late summer). That being said I did not apply until late september and it has not effected me. I think its more important to wait until your application is a stellar as you can make it and then send it in.

Good luck!!

If I were you, I wouldn't submit the application until early September. That way, you can include any experience you've completed over the summer -- and it will make your application look that much better!

Just remember that in addition to the VMCAS application, you also have to send transcripts to each school (NOT VMCAS) and you have to submit any supplemental applications/fees that any of the schooled require. EVERYTHING should be due at the beginning of October.

Don't stress too much. You posted your stats and they look magnificent -- you should have NO problem getting invited to interview at most schools. Shine in the interview, and you'll be set.

Which replies made you think that? I'll have to be careful what I say from now on.

I'm not worried about my stats. I just hope that teaching veterinary gross anatomy, volunteering approx 8000 hrs at the local humane society, shadowing and working for a year at a small animal clinic will be enough. I've also worked at several equine facilities and dairy farms.

Like you said, I need to relax and enjoy the ride. :)

Just curious - how long have you been volunteering at the humane society - 8000 hours is a lot!

Wow, they should have hired you, because isn't that like 30 hours a week?

Yep! It's only a few hours a day though. They don't have money to hire me and besides, I do it for the animals not myself. Well, that's not entirely true...I do get a lot of satisfaction out of finding homes for our animals. It really is great to see how animals enrich peoples lives and also to see the animals flourish in good homes!! :):)

Only a few hours a day? Its 4.5 hours a day assuming you are there 7 days a week. How do you managed the time for that and what else have you been doing over the last 5 years?

Only a few hours a day? Its 4.5 hours a day assuming you are there 7 days a week. How do you managed the time for that and what else have you been doing over the last 5 years?

Seriously! If you're working FT, phew, exhaustion city.

I work full time and am finishing the prerequisites for vet school. Exhausted... YES!! I usually put in 2 full days on the weekend and about 3 hours a day otherwise. Bear in mind that since I have a BS and MS, I don't go to school full time. Plus my wife is in vet school so I never see her and, believe it or not, I get to see her in the clinic as a result. It's not really as bad as you would imagine. Especially when it makes you happy.

:)

Wow! Good luck to you! :)

Plus my wife is in vet school so I never see her and, believe it or not, I get to see her in the clinic as a result. :)

Where is your wife attending vet school? I would think she would be a wealth of information in helping you with the application process. Are you planning to attend the same school?

I know a couple they both went to VATech for undergrad; She got into VMRCVM but he didnt. She talked to admit and they told her based on his stats he wouldnt be competitive so she suggessted Ross verses taking more classes and now they are both FANTASTIC Dr.s. He said it was the best decision she help him make.
Im NOT recommending that but I would figure your wife to have a general idea about how strong you application is and how the process works...if you going to the same school. Just Curious

I just thought of something though, Would your marriage be a detriment to applying to the same school. In other words would admin. frown upon spouses attending the same school. I mean its not like your in the same class but would they see that as an unfair advantage? I dont know..anyone have any experience with that?

PS (I just read your post that your wifes in her 4th yr so I guess she'll be done by the time you start..but if anyone does have experience with that it would be interesting to note)

The married-couple-in-vet-school-together thing has been done before. :) There's a couple (not married) in my class who have been together a long time, and their last names even begin with the same letter--so they're lab partners! They seem to be doing just great. :)

One horror story, though (not that it would happen to you, but just in the realm of oh-my-god-that's-awful): one of our instructors told me a story about a married couple who entered vet school here together. Sometime during their freshman year, the wife fell in love with her lab partner and they ended up getting a divorce and she remarried. !!!!! Not sure when it happened--could've been decades ago--but man, I cannot even IMAGINE how stressful that would be!!! :mad: :scared:

The married-couple-in-vet-school-together thing has been done before. :) There's a couple (not married) in my class who have been together a long time, and their last names even begin with the same letter--so they're lab partners! They seem to be doing just great. :)

One horror story, though (not that it would happen to you, but just in the realm of oh-my-god-that's-awful): one of our instructors told me a story about a married couple who entered vet school here together. Sometime during their freshman year, the wife fell in love with her lab partner and they ended up getting a divorce and she remarried. !!!!! Not sure when it happened--could've been decades ago--but man, I cannot even IMAGINE how stressful that would be!!! :mad: :scared:

Well, It could happen. Since she's a few months away from graduating I think we're pretty safe. I bet it would be stressful though. During the second semester of graduate school, I lost my fiance. It nearly killed me but I pressed on and finished the program with good grades. I think it would be worse to lose your wife to another person though. I'd feel a lot of bitterness and resentment.

My wife has been invaluable in terms of advice about vet school :love:. So has helping her study for exams. I have better stats than she did so I think I have a good shot at getting into the school she's going to.