PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any word on the BOP sites? I don't think they've ever waited this long...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I'm hopeful they do invitations in groups :cat: But also preparing myself for a rejection email in a couple days at this point.

Anyone heard from Dartmouth yet? I know they sent out a few interviews, but I haven't heard from them one way or the other, and given that its my first preference I cannot help but hold out hope for a miracle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard from Dartmouth yet? I know they sent out a few interviews, but I haven't heard from them one way or the other, and given that its my first preference I cannot help but hold out hope for a miracle!

Nothing yet. Sounds like either today or tomorrow will be a big day for a lot of us. Even when I initially saw their notification date of 11/15, I pondered whether or not they made a mistake with the '11.' But we have to stick with what is posted.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Hampton VA or McGuire VA? I've not gotten any rejections or invitations yet... although some of the sites I applied to start interviews the first week of December. :nailbiting:

McGuire VA pushed their notification on APPIC site to December :( so we might not hear for a bit longer now.

McGuire VA pushed their notification on APPIC site to December :( so we might not hear for a bit longer now.

They are taking their time enjoying our applications and thinking about how we are such amazing fits for the site

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 3 users
Received 2 phone calls yesterday with numbers I didn’t recognize from cities that had a site I was applying to... only to find out they were spammers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I have an exam today and all I want to do is check my email! Haha. I hope if sites decide to call and we don't answer they send an email, because I get so many spam calls and also have spotty service where some don't come through at all. :/ so.much.ANXIETY!

@neuroguy101

Yeah it was UAMS, just accidentally wrote "Center" instead of "Sciences." They gave me specific feedback when requested though, which was nice!

Received 2 phone calls yesterday with numbers I didn’t recognize from cities that had a site I was applying to... only to find out they were spammers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the feeling. The number of spam calls and emails I've received over the past week or two has significantly increased - quite coincidental timing, if you ask me.

My first site's notification date is tomorrow..I'm so nervous.....this was definitely one of my least competitive sites too. Refreshing my email NONSTOP!

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to interview attire: would a dress and blazer be okay? That's usually my go-to interview outfit.

I also prefer wearing dresses, however, every supervisor I have had up to this point has advised me not to wear a dress for the interview and to wear a regular suit instead. The main reason being that if everyone else shows up in a regular suit and you are the only one in a dress you will stand apart, and not necessarily in a way that is beneficial at that point. I think you are fine to wear dresses at many sites though while you are actually on your internship.

Nothing yet. Sounds like either today or tomorrow will be a big day for a lot of us. Even when I initially saw their notification date of 11/15, I pondered whether or not they made a mistake with the '11.' But we have to stick with what is posted.

Follow-up question: Are we sure that Dartmouth sends out rejection emails? Or I should just assume that I got rejected if I don't hear from them by tomorrow?

Follow-up question: Are we sure that Dartmouth sends out rejection emails? Or I should just assume that I got rejected if I don't hear from them by tomorrow?

I’m going off of the fact that APPIC does oblige sites to send them by the date they report. While some may not adhere to this expectation, I would assume Dartmouth would do so.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I also prefer wearing dresses, however, every supervisor I have had up to this point has advised me not to wear a dress for the interview and to wear a regular suit instead. The main reason being that if everyone else shows up in a regular suit and you are the only one in a dress you will stand apart, and not necessarily in a way that is beneficial at that point. I think you are fine to wear dresses at many sites though while you are actually on your internship.

That seems incredibly sexist to me, and I wouldn’t want to go to a site that would write me off for wearing a suit dress vs a pants suit. I’ll be wearing my suit dress and jacket because that is what I’m most comfortable in.

Official Site Name: Vanderbilt University Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received:11/14
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call from administrative assistant
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):N/A
Offered Interview Dates: December 7,14, January 4,7 (They offer in-person and Skype interviews)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: I already put up my Christmas tree - It brings me so much comfort lol. I'm also looking forward to going home on Friday for a LONG Thanksgiving break :) Being around family will keep me grounded and sane!

Good luck Everyone!!! Be kind to yourselves :)

Reactions: 5 users
That seems incredibly sexist to me, and I wouldn’t want to go to a site that would write me off for wearing a suit dress vs a pants suit. I’ll be wearing my suit dress and jacket because that is what I’m most comfortable in.

It's not so much that you will be written off, but just remembered for the wrong reason if your style of attire sets you apart. You honestly want to look just like everyone else there, regardless of gender. It shouldn't be an issue, but it is at some sites. IME, I have too often seen female selection committee members talk about irrelevant things such as choice of shoes or other attire. It's catty, and it's usually irrelevant, but it is what it is at the moment. I'm all about making social change when needed, but at this juncture, it's all about maximizing opportunity. Take the advice as you see fit, but just know that outfit choice matters, whether it's fair or not.

Official Site Name: Nationwide
Date Invitation Received: 11/13
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Autism Treatment Track
Offered Interview Dates: 12/12 and 12/14
If & How you're staying sane: Continuing with life per usual and making baked goods.

Official Site Name: Vanderbilt University Counseling Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call from administrative assistant
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):N/A
Offered Interview Dates: December 7,14, January 4,7 (They offer in-person and Skype interviews)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: I already put up my Christmas tree - It brings me so much comfort lol. I'm also looking forward to going home on Friday for a LONG Thanksgiving break :) Being around family will keep me grounded and sane!

Good luck Everyone!!! Be kind to yourselves :)

Congrats!! This is one of my top sites on my list. I want to live in Nashville so bad!! haha. Crossing my fingers!

Official Site Name: Lexington (KY) VA Medical Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/14/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call from training director
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: Dec. 14th & Jan 11th
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane:

Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: Lexington (KY) VA Medical Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/14/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call from training director
Offered Interview Dates: Dec. 14th & Jan 11th
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane:
Obviously, I'm not staying sane as I left that one blank. *laughs*

Please tell me that loafers with a suit is an appropriate shoe choice for women. :xf: Heels are just torture, and really not great for winter. And thanks for all your feedback WisNeuro.

Sure thing. And, dressy loafers should be fine. The several times I've heard about applicants shoe choices commented on tended to be whether or not their heels were "too high" or not. I generally don't notice footwear, but I don't think I've ever heard about someone criticized for wearing comfortable shoes as long as they were dress shoes.

Official Site Name: FCI/FDC Tallahassee BOP (invite to complete USA jobs app)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat):mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):n/a
Offered Interview Dates: January 8-10, January 15-17, and January 22-24
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane
: Trying to keep obligations and travel to a minimum, watching the office.

Sure thing. And, dressy loafers should be fine. The several times I've heard about applicants shoe choices commented on tended to be whether or not their heels were "too high" or not. I generally don't notice footwear, but I don't think I've ever heard about someone criticized for wearing comfortable shoes as long as they were dress shoes.

Just got this email from Puget Sound - Seattle VA "...I know that applicants often dress formally for interviews. However, please let me encourage you to dress more comfortably for our Open House. The standard wear in the Medical Center is “casual professional” (shirts and ties for men, slacks and blouses for women). I’ll certainly be dressing comfortably, and I think we’d all have a more relaxed time if you left your suits at home (or saved them for your next interview J )."

I love that they want me to be more comfortable, and at the same time it feels like a trap.

Heard from a BOP!:soexcited:

Official Site Name: FCI/FDC Tallahassee
Date Invitation Received: Nov 14th
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Email (not sure if mass)
Offered Interview Dates:
January 8-10, January 15-17, and January 22-24

Just got this email from Puget Sound - Seattle VA "...I know that applicants often dress formally for interviews. However, please let me encourage you to dress more comfortably for our Open House. The standard wear in the Medical Center is “casual professional” (shirts and ties for men, slacks and blouses for women). I’ll certainly be dressing comfortably, and I think we’d all have a more relaxed time if you left your suits at home (or saved them for your next interview J )."

I love that they want me to be more comfortable, and at the same time it feels like a trap.

I know this site, and business casual, but not too casual really is fine. Although about half of the applicants will still wear suits.

Heard from a BOP!:soexcited:

Official Site Name: FCI/FDC Tallahassee
Date Invitation Received: Nov 14th
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Email (not sure if mass)
Offered Interview Dates:
January 8-10, January 15-17, and January 22-24

Yay! Me too! Haha we are both very excited

Yay! Me too! Haha we are both very excited

Yay! Also, I'm kind of confused/overwhelmed already by the usajobs application... Do they mean we upload the receipt and transcript?

What are you planning on wearing? I heard that prisons do not want you to wear suits for some reason.

I had not heard that so I hadn’t thought much about it and just assumed I’d wear a suit. I’m going to ABCT this weekend and will ask around there for advice. Message me next week if I forget to get back to you with what people say. The site may also provide info like that as it gets closer and once the USA jobs app is all done. I’m also pretty nervous about the USA jobs app since I don’t know what to expect from it. Do you have any insight on that end?

Let's hope the rest of the BOP sites follow suit today!

Yay! Also, I'm kind of confused/overwhelmed already by the usajobs application... Do they mean we upload the receipt and transcript?

I think yes, we upload the receipt and a transcript but not sure what else might be involved. I’ll have to ask around about that too.

Congrats!! This is one of my top sites on my list. I want to live in Nashville so bad!! haha. Crossing my fingers!

Thank you! Nashville is a beautiful city :) I'm crossing my fingers that you receive a phone call soon (area code will be 615).

I think yes, we upload the receipt and a transcript but not sure what else might be involved. I’ll have to ask around about that too.

Just read the email again. I think we have to send an official copy of our transcript directly from our school instead of a digital copy. Since it has to be received by the 23rd, I may overnight it. Also, we have to make sure it meets the requirements they listed so I guess we purchase a copy of our transcript before sending it in order to check everything? Haha I clearly am neurotic..

I had not heard that so I hadn’t thought much about it and just assumed I’d wear a suit. I’m going to ABCT this weekend and will ask around there for advice. Message me next week if I forget to get back to you with what people say. The site may also provide info like that as it gets closer and once the USA jobs app is all done. I’m also pretty nervous about the USA jobs app since I don’t know what to expect from it. Do you have any insight on that end?

Unfortunately, I do not have any knowledge regarding the USA jobs app either and I'm the only one in my cohort applying to prisons. Can you PM me so we can help each other with this instead of blowing up the thread? haha

Official Site Name: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Date Invitation Received: 11/14/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass E-mail
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult
Offered Interview Dates: 12/14/2018, 01/10/2018
: Candy crushing it.

Reactions: 6 users
This wait is rough. I’ve seen UAMS twice now - I’m awaiting the Neuro track though.

Just received a rejection from FCC Petersburg

If it makes you feel any better, we have a student who just completed internship there and said the supervision was very inappropriate and it was a bad site.

For those of you applying to prisons, this was posted in the last year's (2018-2019) APPIC Internship Interview Thread. In addition, I remember they had an extensive discussion within that thread, around this time of the year last year, about the USA jobs application within that thread. In case any of this helps.

*Note for USAJobs (courtesy of vegpsych) 11/13/2017: "OKAY- for all of us applying through the USA jobs application. I just spoke to someone on the phone and he said upload a copy of your AAPI, and they are aware that the categories of where we can attach files doesn't exactly match up well and they will check every document we upload regardless of what category we put it under. So that was a relief - basically just make sure you have your transcript, enrollment verification certificate, and a copy of the AAPI uploaded somewhere."

Official Site Name: Rutgers University Behavioral Healthcare
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Severe Mental Illness Track
Offered Interview Dates: 12/07/2018, 12/14/2018
: Binge watching The Wire (again)

Reactions: 7 users
Official Site Name: Rutgers University Behavioral Healthcare
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Severe Mental Illness Track
Offered Interview Dates: 12/07/2018, 12/14/2018
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Binge watching The Wire (again)

Congrats and thanks for sharing about Rutgers! I applied to the Therapeutic Day School track, but wasn't expecting to hear anything for awhile since apps aren't due until 11/19!

DIV 38 LISTSERV EMAILS ARE KILLING ME

My listservs are killing me too! Post-doc positions being posted and the whole lot. Worst time to participate in listservs, no question about it.