PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, friends - does anyone who interviewed at the following sites or have experience there feel comfortable messaging me about their experience and the program? Trying to figure out where to apply in Phase II but it's tough to get a sense of places without going :(

Central Arkansas VA
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
South Texas VA
UCSD Pain/Bmed track
Memphis VA
Hamptom VA
Central Western Mass VA
Coatesville VA
Geisinger Medical Center
McGuire VA
University of Kansas Medical Center
Harlingen VA (Texas Valley Coastal Bend)
Buffalo VA (Western NY)

I interviewed on site with Central Western Mass VA and think that they have a great program. PM me if you want to chat.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d really like to meet my internship cohort, but I guess not everyone uses SDN haha

Reactions: 1 users
Really eager to find out who is in my internship cohort. Do we know when people typically find this information out?

At the site I matched at (Western State Hospital) the training director send a group email to the incoming cohort to introduce us to one another. Maybe you can ask your program about getting you in touch with your future cohor mates?

Members don't see this ad :)
At the site I matched at (Western State Hospital) the training director send a group email to the incoming cohort to introduce us to one another. Maybe you can ask your program about getting you in touch with your future cohor mates?

My site did this as well!!

Is anyone else experiencing a broad range of emotions this weekend? I find myself fluctuating between elation, disbelief, gratitude, anxiety (imposter syndrome never sleeps), dumbfoundedness, and more gratitude (with accompanying tears). Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, friends - does anyone who interviewed at the following sites or have experience there feel comfortable messaging me about their experience and the program? Trying to figure out where to apply in Phase II but it's tough to get a sense of places without going :(

Central Arkansas VA
South Texas VA
UCSD Pain/Bmed track
Memphis VA
Hamptom VA
Central Western Mass VA
Coatesville VA
Geisinger Medical Center
McGuire VA
Buffalo VA (Western NY)

I interviewed at a few of these places but mainly for neuropsych—not sure what’s your preferred area of interest but if it’s neuropsych/general tidbits of info feel free to PM me :)

Is anyone else experiencing a broad range of emotions this weekend? I find myself fluctuating between elation, disbelief, gratitude, anxiety (imposter syndrome never sleeps), dumbfoundedness, and more gratitude (with accompanying tears). Is this normal or should I be concerned?

I am! Imposter syndrome is so real for me now I keep thinking maybe it was just a fluke and they’ll see I’m a fraud haha

I cried for 45 minutes today out of pure fear because I am moving EXTREMELY far away! But I spent my entire saturday jubilant and positive! So yes..I think normal.

Reactions: 3 users

Central Arkansas VA
South Texas VA
UCSD Pain/Bmed track
Memphis VA
Hamptom VA
Central Western Mass VA
Coatesville VA
Geisinger Medical Center
McGuire VA
Buffalo VA (Western NY)

I interviewed for the Coatesville VA neuropsychology track, but the same information and presentations were given to all applicants so I'm familiar with the general track, too. I think this site is awesome! The entire facility is mental health focused, and psychology offers a wide range of services. The current interns all told us that in retrospect, they would have ranked the site even higher had they known how excellent the training would be. I highly recommend applying there!

Best of luck!

I interviewed for the Coatesville VA neuropsychology track, but the same information and presentations were given to all applicants so I'm familiar with the general track, too. I think this site is awesome! The entire facility is mental health focused, and psychology offers a wide range of services. The current interns all told us that in retrospect, they would have ranked the site even higher had they known how excellent the training would be. I highly recommend applying there!

Best of luck!

Thank you, this is super helpful!

Central Arkansas VA
South Texas VA
UCSD Pain/Bmed track
Memphis VA
Hamptom VA
Central Western Mass VA
Coatesville VA
Geisinger Medical Center
McGuire VA
Buffalo VA (Western NY)

Guys. Way to come through. I can't tell you how wonderful it's been hearing from so many of you over the past few days and how helpful all of your feedback and information is when wading through the process of Phase II. By all means, keep it coming! But I just wanted to give a shoutout to everyone who's responded - it's really amazing to see the support from fellow students on this forum first hand.

Reactions: 2 users
Because you all have been so incredibly helpful throughout this entire process, I'm following psychgal's lead and also posting a list of potential sites for phase ll with the hopes that some of your have interviewed at some of them or might have some ideas about the reputation of the site (e.g., recommend vs not recommend!). I know this list is a bit variable, but I am also quite open to where I end up next year given I have pretty varying practicum experiences and want to give myself as many options as possible. Feel free to DM me or post here if you feel comfortable. Thank you in advance!!

University California-San Diego/Veterans Affairs
Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care
Spokane VAMC Psychology Internship
VA St. Louis Health Care System
University of Denver Graduate School of Professional Psych Internship Consortium
San Jose State University Counseling & Psychological Services
University of California - Santa Cruz Counseling & Psychological Service
University of Illinois – Chicago Counseling Center
Georgia Tech Counseling Center
Oregon State University Counseling & Psychology Services
American University Counseling Center
VA Central Iowa Healthcare System
University of California, Riverside Counseling Center
Suffolk University Counseling, Health & Wellness
University of Pittsburgh Counseling Center
University of Nevada - Las Vegas Student Counseling & Psychological Services
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center Fresno
California Psychology Internship Consortium
San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health
Massachusetts Mental Health Center
Nevada Psychology Internship Consortium (NV-PIC)
Hawaii Psychology Internship Consortium (HI-PIC)
Casa Pacifica
Asian Americans for Community Involvement (AACI)
Southwest Behavioral & Health Services

Last edited:
Because you all have been so incredibly helpful throughout this entire process, I'm following psychgal's lead and also posting a list of potential sites for phase ll with the hopes that some of your have interviewed at some of them or might have some ideas about the reputation of the site (e.g., recommend vs not recommend!). I know this list is a bit variable, but I am also quite open to where I end up next year given I have pretty varying practicum experiences and want to give myself as many options as possible. Feel free to DM me or post here if you feel comfortable. Thank you in advance!!

Are these sites all in Phase II?

I interviewed at Southwest Behavioral and Health and loved. I ranked them low only because I loved other places more and didn't really like Arizona too much. But I do not really have any complaints about it. I would have been happy had I ended up there. Really great school program and they seem like really nice and easy to work with supervisors. I suggest really researching the research that comes out of there to see what they are interested in and focused on. It is listed on their website.

I applied at a few other of those and didn't get an interview. But Suffolk University seems to have a really awesome setup and I would have lovvvvved Oregon State. Awesome program.

Awesome, thank your for your reply mrspsyd. Happy to hear you loved SB&H (I’m loving them too). I’m also pretty excited about Suffolk and Oregon state and have also heard good things. Your insight is only confirming I should definitely apply. And yes, all of these sites are available!

Members don't see this ad :)

University of Denver Graduate School of Professional Psych Internship Consortium
Casa Pacifica

I highly recommend Colorado fort Logan!

Casa Pacifica

I interviewed at San Jose CAPS. It was a phone interview and I had the chance later on to visit counseling center; the TD was awesome and set aside an hour to talk to me and answer questions, gave a tour, and had me chat with a current intern. It was all really informal and it seemed like a GREAT program. The only downside was the cost of living.

I also have a friend who interviewed at the Kaiser in Fresno, and she was not impressed.

Casa Pacifica

Would definitely recommend UIC! Great program and staff. Feel free to PM me. :)

So I matched at a research-focused internship. Would it be acceptable to email a potential research mentor now? How would I phrase such email? I am inclined to email the mentor now because I want to get things going research-wise (I want to apply for an F32) as soon as possible after I arrive, but I wasn't sure what to say in such email.

I interviewed at San Jose CAPS. It was a phone interview and I had the chance later on to visit counseling center; the TD was awesome and set aside an hour to talk to me and answer questions, gave a tour, and had me chat with a current intern. It was all really informal and it seemed like a GREAT program. The only downside was the cost of living.

I also have a friend who interviewed at the Kaiser in Fresno, and she was not impressed.
Thank you! I really like SJSU on paper, and even more so with your endorsement, and I'm hoping for an interview. Also, good to know about Fresno! (apologies for late reply, applications took over my life).

So I matched at a research-focused internship. Would it be acceptable to email a potential research mentor now? How would I phrase such email? I am inclined to email the mentor now because I want to get things going research-wise (I want to apply for an F32) as soon as possible after I arrive, but I wasn't sure what to say in such email.

Relatedly, if I was interested in working on a research project that would require IRB approval (would involve coding sessions), is it okay to contact my program and see if it is something I could do so I could begin the IRB approval process?

I also really don’t want to be annoying. Could this make me seem pushy?

So two sites I interviewed at didn't rank me. That's fine and I'm over it, but I am wondering if there's any value (in the future, after Phase II and they hopefully have interns and are less crazy) in contacting them and asking why. One of them has FOUR openings, so i'm wondering if they just ranked a limited number of applicants ?? I'm just kind of curious what I can do to improve my interview skills because they are both sites that are decently good fits for my future interests.

Is there a way to see previous data on APPIC for the number who applied, the number of applicants who received interviews, and positions offered besides the last three years? Just out of curiosity.

Thank you, but I mean for individual sites to see the ratio of how many applications they received and how many interviews they gave and then selected. Like when you click on a site on APPIC and scroll to the bottom you see it but only for the past three years.

Thank you, but I mean for individual sites to see the ratio of how many applications they received and how many interviews they gave and then selected. Like when you click on a site on APPIC and scroll to the bottom you see it but only for the past three years.

As far as I know, that data is not widely available. We have all of our data from our inception, but APPIC does not aggregate it.

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who have matched! I am in Phase II and was wondering if anyone interviewed at Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health in Ohio. If so, does anyone mind sharing their experience as they have four openings, so I am unsure if people didn't rank because of location or if the site has some negatives about it.