PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
THANK YOU. This reassured me so much because I assumed I must have been rejected already from the two I applied to haha

I’ve been lurking hoping someone else would say it and finally gave in... glad I’m not alone!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m getting frustrated. Two sites on my list have definitely invited at least some people (if I am to assume not all). Last year’s thread reported invitations being followed almost immediately by rejections yet I haven’t received a rejection yet either. The uncertainty is worse. I’d rather just hear the news and know whether or not I am under consideration still.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind sharing what sites? I agree, the life limbo is the hardest part. I’d rather definitively cross something off the list than just be waiting.

Would you mind sharing what sites? I agree, the life limbo is the hardest part. I’d rather definitively cross something off the list than just be waiting.

Dartmouth-Hitchcock and Rush (both neuro). None of the other listed sites/tracks thus far are on my list.

I feel that limbo too! I had contacted a site for clarification on something and they said that they would send interview notifications yesterday (11/9) ... radio silence. I looked at the thread from last year and they didn’t contact anyone until 11/14 and then online they say their contact date is 11/21. Pick a day and stick to it

I feel that limbo too! I had contacted a site for clarification on something and they said that they would send interview notifications yesterday (11/9) ... radio silence. I looked at the thread from last year and they didn’t contact anyone until 11/14 and then online they say their contact date is 11/21. Pick a day and stick to it

Definitely frustrating. I assumed that last year's thread would be a decent indicator of how the site operates - not exact days but certainly whether they are earlier than other sites, or how they spread out (or don't spread out) invitations and rejections. It does seem that most of my sites are going to be mid-November. Those that have a history of early November have been popping up, but those sites also send invitations Day 1 and rejections Day 2 (historically), others same-day. "Radio silence" days later.

Nothing from BOP sites here! I'm hoping Monday.

Rememeber

1. Take care of yourselves

2. Trust the system- if it generally works for your program it will likely do the same for you so long as you similar things.

3. Dont get in a rush and think that you're a failure because there isn't an invite yet- sites have different timelines- see #2

Reactions: 4 users
That's sort of what I am wondering - if an invitation was sent out, should I be prepared for a rejection or is it possible to still be under consideration? Last year's thread suggested that most (if not all) are sent at once.

It completely depends on the site. It seems that some places go through a basic elimination first (based on criteria like training hours, total # publications etc.) and decide that some applicants don't meet their basic criteria right off the bat. They might send out all these rejections early because they know they aren't even going to review the whole application, however, they take longer to decide who they are going to invite/decline out of the remaining applications. Other sites wait and send out everything at the same time. It also depends on if the site offers multiple tracks because applications for differing tracks are often evaluated by entirely separate departments who may or may not be on the same timeline.

To your point though, I don't think you could assume either good or bad news in this situation. You're just, unfortunately, going to have to wait in agony until they reach out :shrug:

Reactions: 2 users
YES, same here for Rush... I was expecting a rejection to come shortly after I saw I didn't get the initial invite, but now I'm refreshing my email even more frequently.

Well I guess if that makes two of us, they must be doing things differently over there this year. Or the people who posted last year coincidentally were part of the two groups that were within 24 hours of one another - while there may be more than just two groups as review progresses.

I confirmed my interview for 12/17 and I'm so worried that will be the same date of a BOP interview (if I get one).

Members don't see this ad :)
I confirmed my interview for 12/17 and I'm so worried that will be the same date of a BOP interview (if I get one).

I’m sure you’ll be just fine. I bet that you will have sufficient options from which to choose that allows you to accommodate this recently confirmed interview. I mean, they must realize that people are going to be confirming dates at this point. And further, while certainly not ideal, you do have the option of requesting a new date from the previous site if it does become a concern. But my money is on you having other, more ideal options!

I made a spreadsheet with all the possible interview dates for each site and then noted where there were possible conflicts. I only had one site that offers only 1 option. Everything else had enough options that I could avoid overlap.

Is BOP Bureau of Prisons?

Official Site Name: Children's Minnesota
Date Invitation Received: 11/11/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email by director of training
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): no track
Offered Interview Dates: Dec 13, 14, 17 and by phone
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Lots of cat cuddles and busying myself with data fun!

Reactions: 5 users
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email by director of training
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Lots of cat cuddles and busying myself with data fun!

A perfect example of weekends being possible notification days - congratulations!

Congrats! Was this a mass email or personal email?

I made a spreadsheet with all the possible interview dates for each site and then noted where there were possible conflicts. I only had one site that offers only 1 option. Everything else had enough options that I could avoid overlap.

Is BOP Bureau of Prisons?

Yes, BOP is Bureau of Prisons.

So what are the chances sites will send notifications today, given that it's Veteran's Day?

Regarding interview dates - have the dates the sites offered in the past when they send invitations been pretty true to what they advertise on the APPIC website? or is there a discrepancy?

So what are the chances sites will send notifications today, given that it's Veteran's Day?
last year one site sent a notification on Thanksgiving...this doesn't answer your question but it gives you an idea that no days are out as far as notifications are concerned.

Official Site Name: Allegheny General Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 11/12/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: Dec 7 and 14
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane
: I’m not. You can will an email into existence just by refreshing your inbox every 10 minutes on the minute, right?

Reactions: 9 users
Official Site Name: Community Healthlink
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Offered Interview Dates: December 5th from 9:00am-1:00pm
If & How you're staying sane: Binge-watching The Mindy Project and Seinfeld while refreshing my email on my phone over and over.

Reactions: 7 users

I think it’s fair game for most sites, but for BOPs and other government-related sites, seems unlikely... I wish though!!

LOL, Loveurwrinkles! I have been trying to force emails using exactly your method!

Official Site Name: Community Healthlink
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Offered Interview Dates: December 5th from 9:00am-1:00pm
If & How you're staying sane: Binge-watching The Mindy Project and Seinfeld while refreshing my email on my phone over and over.

Congrats to you! But my hopes for this site may be crushed because I haven't heard anything :-/

Official Site Name: South Shore Mental Health Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult track
Offered Interview Dates: 1/8/18 (you choose this date or 1/11 when you apply)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Spending time with my pets

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to you! But my hopes for this site may be crushed because I haven't heard anything :-/

Don't give up hope yet! I know they do rolling invites, and I just submitted my application last Monday - it's still early!:)

Question regarding phone invites: When the site gives you the interview dates, do you have to tell them immediately which one you prefer? Or are you allowed to send them a follow-up email?

Asking just in case I get lucky enough to face this dilemma LOL

When the site gives you the interview dates, do you have to tell them immediately which one you prefer? Or are you allowed to send them a follow-up email?

I made a calendar with all the dates that my application sites listed as potential interview dates, and then highlighted the date that doesn't conflict with other dates/travel so that I can confidently and enthusiastically state my preference at the time.

That being said, I haven't gotten any offers yet. Or rejections. :scared:

Official Site Name: Greater Hartford Clinical Psychology Internship Consortium
Date Invitation Received: 11/7/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Offered Interview Dates: 11/29, 11/30, 12/6, 12/7, 12/13
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: I bought $30 worth of self-soothe objects off of Amazon

Official Site Name: VA Puget Sound, Seattle
Date Invitation Received: 11/8/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Mental Health Track
Offered Interview Dates: (N/A, open house 1/3)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: I love kinetic sand

Reactions: 5 users
Official Site Name: Intercommunity Action in Philadelphia, PA
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: 1/11/19; they did not offer additional dates

Is it safe to say that I'm not getting an interview at Allegheny General Hospital if I didn't receive an email today?

Is it safe to say that I'm not getting an interview at Allegheny General Hospital if I didn't receive an email today?

I think it's not a sure thing until you get a rejection notice.

And judging by last year's thread, it's not even a sure thing then (as one person was sent a rejection email, and later contacted stating that it was a mistake, and the site meant to send an invitation).

I think it's not a sure thing until you get a rejection notice.

And judging by last year's thread, it's not even a sure thing then (as one person was sent a rejection email, and later contacted stating that it was a mistake, and the site meant to send an invitation).

OMG that's horrible. I can't imagine the nausea that person must have felt through that ordeal

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else get rejected from or invited to this track yet? I’m trying to guage if I was an early rejection or not.

Official Site Name
: University of Chicago Medicine
Date Invitation Received: Rejected 11/12
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): pediatric neuro
Offered Interview Dates: rejected
(In honor of last year) If & How you're

Anyone else get rejected from or invited to this track yet? I’m trying to guage if I was an early rejection or not.

Official Site Name

I received that email today as well, directly from the general Training Director. First and only notification I've received thus far.

Thanks for your reply, so I know I’m not the only one. Good luck and onward!

Official Site Name: Salem VA Medical Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/9/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone Call
Offered Interview Dates: 12/14, 12/17, 1/9
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: baking and house renovations

I got this one too! :hello: Happy for us both :soexcited:

Official Site Name

I got this one as well, the letter said, "We will keep your application on file in the event that an interview slot becomes available and notify you accordingly." I suspect that may just be part of the general letter though, and I have officially taken this one off my pending list. If it makes you feel any better, this site is brutal and I have heard from many former interns that it was a rough year.

I got this one as well, the letter said, "We will keep your application on file in the event that an interview slot becomes available and notify you accordingly." I suspect that may just be part of the general letter though, and I have officially taken this one off my pending list. If it makes you feel any better, this site is brutal and I have heard from many former interns that it was a rough year.

I got the same thing from the Adult/Health Track for this site, I'm taking that as a total rejection also.

I got the same thing from the Adult/Health Track for this site, I'm taking that as a total rejection also.
And can confirm that the rejection I got for the Child track has the same wording.