AOA membership verification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtofu66

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed something quite disturbing about claiming AOA membership-- specifically, I've come across one particular person's web bio page that notes that he was elected AOA. I think that was the red flag-- most AOA'ers don't feel the need to flaunt it on their bio page (and just in case you haven't had one yet, they are largely self-written and submitted for posting). I know this person and it doesn't add up-- he's really not that bright, compared to the folks that I've known in med school and residency who were AOA. Actually, he's kind of a blowhard and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he was lying about it.

So the amateur sleuth in me took over and I did a little poking around. His med school's AOA chapter is one of the few that has an AOA chapter online that lists their members by year. He's not on there. I sent an innocuous email to his residency program's AOA chapter secretary inquiring about past membership for the years he was there. Nada. Finally, I asked the AOA chapter president here for a list of faculty members who were elected since he arrived. Zip.

So, for all you AOA'ers out there (of which I will be the first to say that I am NOT), you might want to bring it to your chapter's attention how easy and not immediately verifiable it is to claim membership on a bio page. Not a big deal, nobody's getting hurt but still, it's unseemly for a DOCTOR to be claiming false credentials (or maybe I'm just old fashioned). And believe me, in the academic setting, having people think you were AOA elevates your standing. It'd be nice if there was an AOA webpage where you could verify membership as easily as verifying board certification on the ABMS webpage.

Just a thought

Members don't see this ad.

o_O

My only guess is maybe he was referring to some other association with the acronym 'AOA' - there are quite a few, eg osteopaths, optometrists, etc.

but how many AOA's is one "elected to" (if that is the phrase used in the bio)? American Optometric Association? American Osteopathic Association? Administration on Aging? I think putting down AOA on a medical bio implies Alpha Omega Alpha unless there is other contect (like thhe guy is interested in aging issues, mentions a previous career as an optometrist, etc). </0.02>

Oh-- there is no room for doubt. I was the one who abbreviated it: on the bio it actually lists "Alpha Omega Alpha" among his positions and honors.

Sorry for the confusion.

The bio page has been revised since my original queries and now lists the year in which he claims to have been elected (during his residency, according to his timeline). I specifically asked that school's AOA chapter about him and they said he wasn't elected AOA there.

BTW-- if there are any AOA folks out there that want to do something about this and/or take some action, PM me and I'll send you the details. It's all out there on publically viewable webpages.

First, you've spent way too much time investigating this! I can't believe all the people you called/e-mailed! There will always be dishonest people in this world, unfortunately, and even with residency applications I have known several classmates who "enhanced" their application. I realize it's not the same when you lie about being in AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha), though. Anyway, I would just chill and focus on living your life the way you want to live it (unless that includes busting impersonator AOA-wannabees!)

All that aside, if you feel compelled to do something about this, perhaps you should just contact the person and let him/her know that you have noticed what he has done. You're messing with someone's career here, and it may all be a mistake or something you've been misinformed about or led to misunderstand.

Good luck on your quest. :D

Your actions come across as unprofessional in their own way. Investigating this person's professional career, going to the trouble of contacting third parties, recruiting AOA members to help you prosecute this individual... Obviously, a fair amount has energy has been spent in this effort, which makes me suspect something else is going on under the surface that you aren't telling us.

I agree with the above post. If you're want to do something, confront the person. Don't be so passive-aggressive about it.

Actually, it doesn't take much time to check things like this if you know what you're doing (it probably took me a little over an hour way back when it was bugging me and I straight up asked what I wanted to know; nobody was under any obligation to answer). And yes, I am the suspicious sort and see where the last 2 posters are coming from and won't debate the issue.

On the other hand, I'd suggest that those people who think I'm a little too interested in what other people are up to do a Google search on Michael Swango (even better, check out the book "Blind Eye" by James Stewart) and another guy named Gerald Barnes (too bad nobody was "unprofessional" enough to do a simple background check on either of them after someone died). The American medical field has done a horrific job in credential verification as these two situations will attest (and I think the situation is more common than most people think. These 2 guys are just better known). And while I can almost understand a little white lie on one's resume, I don't think that makes it ok.

But that's just MHO.

turn the person in... don't turn the person in.... contact that person up front... I think what they're trying to say is that you're stealth work probably has alterior motives; which you did not address.

Nobody likes a snitch, but then again nobody likes a liar.

As for people inflating their accomplishments, I don't think I've ever heard a patient ask a physician in they're AOA.

undecided05 said:
turn the person in... don't turn the person in.... contact that person up front... I think what they're trying to say is that you're stealth work probably has alterior motives; which you did not address.

Nobody likes a snitch, but then again nobody likes a liar.

As for people inflating their accomplishments, I don't think I've ever heard a patient ask a physician in they're AOA.

Yes, while that is true, the problem is this is a fundamental character flaw which probably is and probably won't be isolated. As they say, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. I wouldn't put my health in the hands of someone with poor character no matter how high they scored on the USMLE or if they did their residency at Harvard :mad:

I would think most PD's would catch the misrepresentation at the residency application level because if you were elected to AOA it would be in your dean's letter. Beyond that you could put down anything you wanted. Every year or so you see a story about someone faking the Med School credentials. Resume fraud is nothing new.

Ed

It's possible that this person was nominated to AOA not by the traditional route, but as an honor given by the med students in the AOA chapter where he was a resident. I'm not sure he'd end up on the official roll that way.

Otherwise, this kind of thing usually comes back to haunt people, whether or not someone is chasing them down. People who lie on CVs have a hard time stopping at one, and it'll eventually catch up with him.

drtofu66 said:
Oh-- there is no room for doubt. I was the one who abbreviated it: on the bio it actually lists "Alpha Omega Alpha" among his positions and honors.

Sorry for the confusion.

The bio page has been revised since my original queries and now lists the year in which he claims to have been elected (during his residency, according to his timeline). I specifically asked that school's AOA chapter about him and they said he wasn't elected AOA there.

BTW-- if there are any AOA folks out there that want to do something about this and/or take some action, PM me and I'll send you the details. It's all out there on publically viewable webpages.

Dude,
You can be selected to AOA third year, fourth year, residency and at the faculty level. Just because you are not elected while in medical school does not mean that AOA is out of sight. My goodness, you have lots of free time to do investigations. You must be rocking in medical school. :)

njbmd

njbmd said:
Dude,
You can be selected to AOA third year, fourth year, residency and at the faculty level. Just because you are not elected while in medical school does not mean that AOA is out of sight. My goodness, you have lots of free time to do investigations. You must be rocking in medical school. :)

njbmd

I did some "investigating" myself by looking at his SDN profile and it looks like he's already done with residency.