Pre-employment verification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikitha Ram

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

For the employment verification before starting residency, do we need to list unpaid positions or only paid employment history? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

For the employment verification before starting residency, do we need to list unpaid positions or only paid employment history? Thank you!

I haven’t had unpaid positions such as an unpaid internship or other consistent unpaid employment. I didn’t list volunteer work. But you usually can’t have any gaps in your history for medical license applications, so you should have something to put for every time period.

I haven’t had unpaid positions such as an unpaid internship or other consistent unpaid employment. I didn’t list volunteer work. But you usually can’t have any gaps in your history for medical license applications, so you should have something to put for every time period.
Well what were you doing? Moving? Studying?taking care of family?
Or were you just a lump on the couch?

Hey everyone!

You basically need to account for your time since college. Do that however you want. If you have a gap that's not explained, the assumption is that you were in rehab or jail so don't give anyone the opportunity to think that.

This is employment verification for residency, not medical licensure or something else.
I had 3 paid positions throughout college. Numerous unpaid experiences. I just put the paid positions.

I don’t even remembering having to do this for residency… Ever since I’d had to account for the time since graduating medical school though

To rotate at the VA though, even as a med student, we had to lost every place we’d ever lived for the federal background check. One poor classmate was a traveling ballet dancer for a year or two and had something like 40 addresses she had to look up.