General Admissions & OTCAS anyone with not so great GPAs get into OT schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A.N.OT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So basic story is that my undergraduate GPA is embarrassingly low (2.4 at the time of graduation). I was at a large and competitive public university majoring in biology. Going into undergrad I was thinking about med school so I tried (and failed) classes that I thought would be useful. I ended up scratching the med school route but it was too late to change majors so I had to tough it out.

It's been a few years since graduating undergrad and I've retook some courses to better my GPA (got A's and B's second time around). In terms of the general pre-reqs for OT school, I've been earning A's and B+'s. I know some schools state they look at the GPA of your last 60 units of coursework, which I'm pretty solid on. I'm just terrified that my undergrad GPA is going to screw me over.

I haven't taken the GREs yet, but I plan to take a prep course that has had great reviews. So I'm hoping to do well and have my scores balance out my terrible GPA.

I did about 120 shadow hours with an OT in a SNF and now I'm finishing up another 40 hours with an OT at an elementary school. I've been working with children on the autism spectrum as a behavior interventionist since last summer. I'm honestly trying my hardest and I don't really want to re-apply for multiple cycles.

Just wondering if anyone overcame a similar situation and was admitted into a program. I currently live in California. The majority of the schools I want to apply to are in California, but it's so competitive here I'm not sure if I can get in the first time. It would be more financially sound for me to stay in California because my family is here but I'm opened to other states if I have a chance of getting into OT programs. Anyone know of easier (sounds bad I know) and less competitive but credited OT programs out there? Thank you!

- frazzled pre-ot

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want it, you'll keep striving for it.

Hello! So basic story is that my undergraduate GPA is embarrassingly low (2.4 at the time of graduation). I was at a large and competitive public university majoring in biology. Going into undergrad I was thinking about med school so I tried (and failed) classes that I thought would be useful. I ended up scratching the med school route but it was too late to change majors so I had to tough it out.

It's been a few years since graduating undergrad and I've retook some courses to better my GPA (got A's and B's second time around). In terms of the general pre-reqs for OT school, I've been earning A's and B+'s. I know some schools state they look at the GPA of your last 60 units of coursework, which I'm pretty solid on. I'm just terrified that my undergrad GPA is going to screw me over.

I haven't taken the GREs yet, but I plan to take a prep course that has had great reviews. So I'm hoping to do well and have my scores balance out my terrible GPA.

I did about 120 shadow hours with an OT in a SNF and now I'm finishing up another 40 hours with an OT at an elementary school. I've been working with children on the autism spectrum as a behavior interventionist since last summer. I'm honestly trying my hardest and I don't really want to re-apply for multiple cycles.

Just wondering if anyone overcame a similar situation and was admitted into a program. I currently live in California. The majority of the schools I want to apply to are in California, but it's so competitive here I'm not sure if I can get in the first time. It would be more financially sound for me to stay in California because my family is here but I'm opened to other states if I have a chance of getting into OT programs. Anyone know of easier (sounds bad I know) and less competitive but credited OT programs out there? Thank you!

- frazzled pre-ot
Some schools, in their applications, allow for a supplemental essay to explain a low GPA or other life circumstance that contributes to you application. You may want to see if any of your schools have that option-- especially since you repeated some courses and got a higher grade! If you're not sure, call or email an admissions office and ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
Google "OT Schools that only look at last 60 credit hours".

Make a list of them.

Take as many credit hours as you need at a community college to up your last 60 GPA.

Go to the school with the highest NBCOT pass rates, and cheapest tuition. Voila. Solved.

Reactions: 1 user