Anyone have any thought provoking questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wierd, funny questions

Is there another word for synonym?

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating
an endangered plant?

Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone
will clean them?

Why do they sterilize the needles for lethal injections?

:confused: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I've always wondered why people call a chair, 'chair'. Who makes up these words?

Another question I have is, when meditating, you are supposed to be concentrating on nothing. But, nothing is infact something. So then how do you concentrate on 'nothing'?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats one reason i can't meditate...i can never stop thinking abt the million things that are on my mind...infact it gives you the best conc. ..so it must be the best time to think..yet you are supposed to clear your head by meditating???

hmmm...yeah i bet linguistics cud tell us abt the origins of words...
i know the origin of one word...fa-shizzle = 'for sure' by snoop dog.... :laugh: ;)

actually you can mediate doing a simple thing called JAPA.. and i would disagree on your definition of mediatation... when meditating.. your in fact focusing your energy on one thing... not "nothing" -- and that one may be God or such

defintely something to check out -- and the experience if done properly is sureal at times....

here is a site.. i am sure there are better ones but i googled "japa, meditation" but there are alot others
http://www.focalpointyoga.com/mantra_meditation.htm

ahh if you decide to try it out.. a lil modification... when you repeat the chant over and over again.... change your tone... tempo etc if you find yourself bored or distracted.... open your eyes.. close them.... and when u get to a point where the only thing your focusing on is that mantra.. close your eyes and then stop sayin the mantra.... ahh for a moment your at peace... and too some degree you do achieve mental freedom where your mind is focusining nothing... but it begins with a focus on onething to get to zero....

Thisisvick is right. Meditation is focusing on one thing, and one thing alone.
I've tried it and it seems that I can only meditate for a few seconds, and then that's it. All thoughts take over and I'm left worrying about the future, or regretting the past. It's awful. Meditation is discipline. Something I must cultivate. :rolleyes:

Oh Shweta dear don't be hard on yourself. :love:
This Devdas cannot help but follow you :laugh:

thisisvick said:
actually you can mediate doing a simple thing called JAPA.. and i would disagree on your definition of mediatation... when meditating.. your in fact focusing your energy on one thing... not "nothing" -- and that one may be God or such

defintely something to check out -- and the experience if done properly is sureal at times....

here is a site.. i am sure there are better ones but i googled "japa, meditation" but there are alot others

ahh if you decide to try it out.. a lil modification... when you repeat the chant over and over again.... change your tone... tempo etc if you find yourself bored or distracted.... open your eyes.. close them.... and when u get to a point where the only thing your focusing on is that mantra.. close your eyes and then stop sayin the mantra.... ahh for a moment your at peace... and too some degree you do achieve mental freedom where your mind is focusining nothing... but it begins with a focus on onething to get to zero....

Thanks for that thisisvick. i'll try it too. i think mastering something like this- can really help one in so many ways- but its tough ...getting there...
like saffronrain i can't stop the thoughts either...but i am going to try .... i really need the peace! ;)

thisisvick said:

The point of meditation is to become "thoughtlessly aware", which is very difficult to achieve. This is what I was referring to when I said that you had to focus on "nothing" during meditation.

I am aware of the jap meditation, but didn't quite understand it fully. I'll take a look at the link you provided, and do a google search when I get the chance. Thanks.

You know Sunny, my fam. and I were talking about meditation last night, and my dad said, "meditation is learning to focus on the gap between two thoughts- nothing... a state of thoughtlessness." i had not known this... so I guess you're right Sunny, it's focusing on "nothing."
Apparently there's this meditation class taught by a Buddhist monk, and I'm thinking about going if it doesn't cost too much. Learning to meditate should be free- anyone should be entitled to it, don't you think? It's unfair to put a price on something like that.

perhaps original things has lost itself on the way...----------------------------------------------If ghosts go through walls, why don't they fall through the floor?

Why isn't evaporated milk a gas?

Why was it that in all different cultures the men always used to come first and never the women?

When you feel down, why do people ask what's up?

In horse racing, why do they award the rider and not the horse?

If insects are so obsessed with bright lights, why don't they fly off to the sun?

What happens if you die in your dream?

Why do people more commonly skip breakfast than any other meal, considering that this is the time when the stomach is emptiest?

If same-sex couples could marry, what would happen to their surnames?

How are children supposed to take medicine if it's meant to be kept out of their reach?

Why do people talk about ‘girlie' things but never ‘boyie' things?

If you sneezed on a computer, would it get a virus?

Can you dream of having a dream?

Why do we close doors and windows to reduce noise, considering that sound travels better through solids?

If Pinocchio said, "My nose is about to grow", what would happen?

What did the designer of the drawing board go back to when his/her original design was a failure?

What sort of a vehicle did those huge 300kg tyres that are used in the World's Strongest Man contests come off?

Why do we hang our clothes on a washing line and not a drying line?

Why do ‘a fat chance' and ‘a slim chance' mean the same thing?

Why does your nose run and your feet smell?

Why is ‘abbreviation' such a long word?

Why are there seeds in seeded grapes, but no bones in a boned fillet?

When people go mental, why do they get physically violent?

Why do we never hear of people coming from ‘left west' or ‘right east'?

What is an occasional table the rest of the time?

If you get a beer belly by drinking beer, do you get a pot belly by smoking pot?

Why is Friday 13th considered unlucky, considering that the Last Supper was on Thursday?

If you can enjoy yourself, why can't you enjoy anyone else?

What would a burger of ham be called?

If dawn breaks, does dusk come together?

Why does ‘dyslexia' have to be so hard to spell?

If you think you're a hypochondriac, then are you one or not?

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

nokia said:
perhaps original things has lost itself on the way...----------------------------------------------If ghosts go through walls, why don’t they fall through the floor?

Why isn’t evaporated milk a gas?

Why was it that in all different cultures the men always used to come first and never the women?

When you feel down, why do people ask what’s up?

If insects are so obsessed with bright lights, why don’t they fly off to the sun?

Why do people more commonly skip breakfast than any other meal, considering that this is the time when the stomach is emptiest?

How are children supposed to take medicine if it’s meant to be kept out of their reach?

Why do people talk about ‘girlie’ things but never ‘boyie’ things?

Why do we close doors and windows to reduce noise, considering that sound travels better through solids?

If Pinocchio said, “My nose is about to grow”, what would happen?

What did the designer of the drawing board go back to when his/her original design was a failure?

What sort of a vehicle did those huge 300kg tyres that are used in the World’s Strongest Man contests come off?

Why do ‘a fat chance’ and ‘a slim chance’ mean the same thing?

Why is ‘abbreviation’ such a long word?

Why do we never hear of people coming from ‘left west’ or ‘right east’?

If you get a beer belly by drinking beer, do you get a pot belly by smoking pot?

Why is Friday 13th considered unlucky, considering that the Last Supper was on Thursday?

If you can enjoy yourself, why can’t you enjoy anyone else?

Why does ‘dyslexia’ have to be so hard to spell?

If you think you’re a hypochondriac, then are you one or not?

http://www.stewartsplace.org.uk/humour/questions.html Got it from this site??? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey nokia,
where did u get these from???
nokia said:
perhaps original things has lost itself on the way...----------------------------------------------If ghosts go through walls, why don’t they fall through the floor?

Why isn’t evaporated milk a gas?

When you feel down, why do people ask what’s up?

If insects are so obsessed with bright lights, why don’t they fly off to the sun?

How are children supposed to take medicine if it’s meant to be kept out of their reach?

Why do people talk about ‘girlie’ things but never ‘boyie’ things?

If Pinocchio said, “My nose is about to grow”, what would happen?

What sort of a vehicle did those huge 300kg tyres that are used in the World’s Strongest Man contests come off?

Why do ‘a fat chance’ and ‘a slim chance’ mean the same thing?

Why is ‘abbreviation’ such a long word?

Why do we never hear of people coming from ‘left west’ or ‘right east’?

If you can enjoy yourself, why can’t you enjoy anyone else?

Why does ‘dyslexia’ have to be so hard to spell?

If you think you’re a hypochondriac, then are you one or not?

hey..i enjoyed reading some of those..and i am sure the others..who busted you did too....so thanks nokia...

thats a Classic one.....welcome back

hmm..i'd say the hen came first...from whichever bird it evolved from...by the natural selection process....i know the evolution wasn't overnight

------overnight
turkey -----> hen ... :laugh: that didn't happen
but
ok...
i don't even know what i'm saying....
hen or egg....this is too complex....

i'll probably get flamed for this but I would say that the egg came before the chicken...uh oh, did i just choose evolution over religion :scared: :p

nope i think you just chose religion over evolution

BTW...i chose SUNY buffalo.... ;)

sunny123 said:
Oooohhh !!! Nokia is busted! :laugh:
yeah rickshaw puller ! i hope u too hada laugh at it ! :)

rxgal8 said:
i'll probably get flamed for this but I would say that the egg came before the chicken...uh oh, did i just choose evolution over religion :scared: :p
i worry for u , rxgal , from now on! i just hope Bush & company ( rather GANG ) doen`t read ur reply !! Amen. :p

nokia said:
yeah rickshaw puller ! i hope u too hada laugh at it ! :)
For sure I laughed. I called all my other ricksaw-wallah friends, using my NOKIA cell, to tell them about it :laugh: .

sunny123 said:
For sure I laughed. I called all my other ricksaw-wallah friends, using my NOKIA cell, to tell them about it :laugh: .
now that`s what U call " NOKIA-POWER "
Nokia khush huaaaa ...hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa
LOL. :laugh:

hopeful05 said:
Oh wow...good for you :) I thought you might end up going to Albany. But SUNY is a good school, my friend's going to start her med school there this fall. COLDDDD weather :scared: :luck:

hopeful05 said:

Good for you Tina

Hope everything goes well .

rxgal8 said:
Oh wow...good for you :) I thought you might end up going to Albany. But SUNY is a good school, my friend's going to start her med school there this fall. COLDDDD weather :scared: :luck:

yeah its cold...
but its a big univ...and well known...I chose it because i know it will open to me a world of new and diff experiences....atleast i hope so...meeting new people...from all over...study under accomplished professors and maybe learn abt/help with their research....yell at myself (during the cold) for choosing for come there ...and while i'm at it.....i'll study a little tooo...
Maybe i'll c ur friend there...

hopeful05 said:

well....religions ays ..adam & eve came first ..it manes chicken came first .acc to the religion ..
If egg came first ...first of all it`s against religion just coz it`s not chicken ...second..it`s evolution ..coz ..the predecessor ( spelling mistake , sorry ) was not chicken , in fact it was something pre-chicken . so pre -chicken gave an agg that was the next step in evolution ..coz pre-chicken can`t change to chicken during its life time .

i agree with rxgal ..when she says egg cames first ..it`s evolution over religion.... :luck:
PS: it`s strictly personal comment ..no offence emant .

i thought religion says- god created everything....
that he put all these animals on the earth...
i just meant that a chicken obvioulsy evolved from something.... like u said something prechicken...but i get what ur saying too...makes sence

Egg refers to evolution because it is based on the idea that everything came from single cell organisms. An egg is a single cell.
Whereas, chicken would pertain to religion because religion is based on God who created mankind (eg Adam/Eve).

Of course, there is no true answer to the Chicken/Egg question. It's just a matter of what we choose to believe in. :D

nokia said:
i agree with rxgal ..when she says egg cames first ..it`s evolution over religion.... :luck:
PS: it`s strictly personal comment ..no offence emant .
Phew, I'm not the only one :laugh:

hopeful05 said:
yeah its cold...
but its a big univ...and well known...I chose it because i know it will open to me a world of new and diff experiences....atleast i hope so...meeting new people...from all over...study under accomplished professors and maybe learn abt/help with their research....yell at myself (during the cold) for choosing for come there ...and while i'm at it.....i'll study a little tooo...
Maybe i'll c ur friend there...
Yah you'll definitely have a great time there....I've heard lots of good things about the school :) And, at least you can lock yourself up in your room during winter with hot chocolate and get your studying done instead of procrastinating lol...my friend is the skinny persian girl who can never stop talking (she'll kill me for saying this haha), you'll know when u see her :luck:

nokia said:
now that`s what U call " NOKIA-POWER "

Ya- Nokia batteries last longer than any others

hey nokia what is ur model number????? i've got 3310 its pretty primitive!!!!nonetheless a gr8 model........ do u play snake????

allergic2morons said:
hey nokia what is ur model number????? i've got 3310 its pretty primitive!!!!nonetheless a gr8 model........ do u play snake????
lol . i do`t even own a cell phone !!!!!!! :p

i have an 3100
I had a 5510 in past- that was a great nokia mob- u can use it as a phone and in hour of need you can also use it as a weapon to ang someone's head. it's that big and sturdy.
when someone asks me what my favourite Sports is------ i answer SNAKE

Why is it that anything blue is called blue, green called green and not vice versa?

Like why is Sunny bald and not hairy? :laugh:

^ easy, I was making tandoori chicken, and the fire was too much for me to handle...and the hair go poof!

What's your reason for keeping the shiny dome? :smuggrin:

yeah, dr.gar.....!i had a 5510 too!mainly used 2 use it as my main defence weapon!it was like a hatoda!it can kill someone-itz so huge! :laugh:
DrGarfield said:
i have an 3100
I had a 5510 in past- that was a great nokia mob- u can use it as a phone and in hour of need you can also use it as a weapon to ang someone's head. it's that big and sturdy.
when someone asks me what my favourite Sports is------ i answer SNAKE

sunny r u obsessed with 'seinfield'? :laugh:

sunny123 said:
^ easy, I was making tandoori chicken, and the fire was too much for me to handle...and the hair go poof!

What's your reason for keeping the shiny dome? :smuggrin:

prady said:
sunny r u obsessed with 'seinfield'? :laugh:
I'm obsessed with life, and the many things that encompasses it. Seinfeld is apart of my life. How big a role it plays in my life is still yet to be determined ;) .

:thumbup:
sunny123 said:
I'm obsessed with life, and the many things that encompasses it. Seinfeld is apart of my life. How big a role it plays in my life is still yet to be determined ;) .

coming back to the thread- i think this must have been in one of the long list of questions people posted, but still i would ask this-

Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

If the bomb device of a suicidal human bomb didn't function well at the planned time; would he be happy or sad?

DrGarfield said:
coming back to the thread- i think this must have been in one of the long list of questions people posted, but still i would ask this-

Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

If the bomb device of a suicidal human bomb didn't function well at the planned time; would he be happy or sad?
I saw this movie about kamikaze pilots but they wore lether helmets (more like hats). Like back the the days motorcycle helmets were all lether hats very much like some winter hats we see today.

hey guys!
tell me the difference b/w lime & lemon!it may b simple 4 u guyz,but i remain to b confused!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :laugh: :smuggrin:

prady said:
hey guys!
tell me the difference b/w lime & lemon!it may b simple 4 u guyz,but i remain to b confused!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :laugh: :smuggrin:
Lime is green and lemon is yellow. Put the lime in the coconut and shake it all about. :p