Anyone apply to HKU/ CUHK for Sept 2011 Entry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes! just checked my status yesterday (for HKU) and it changed to "firm offer". i attended an interview on jun 9.

still waiting to hear back from cuhk. attended interview last wed and they asked for my transcript yesterday. good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

yes! just checked my status yesterday (for HKU) and it changed to "firm offer". i attended an interview on jun 9.

still waiting to hear back from cuhk. attended interview last wed and they asked for my transcript yesterday. good luck to everyone!

Did you receive a letter by post as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys, I have been previously rejected by HKU. But recently on 12th July, the admission officer called me and told me that HKU will be giving me an offer if I am still interested in HKU. But up to now, I still haven't received the formal offer yet. Does anyone know what happens? Thanks!

Hey Guys, I have been previously rejected by HKU. But recently on 12th July, the admission officer called me and told me that HKU will be giving me an offer if I am still interested in HKU. But up to now, I still haven't received the formal offer yet. Does anyone know what happens? Thanks!

When were you rejected and did you have an interview? Are you a degree holder or high school leaver or EAS student? I think you should phone them up to ask.

anyone here is studying medicine overseas?
i m thinking of applying back to hk (hku/cuhk) next year, starting year one again or above...

HKU emailed me this afternoon and invited me for interview on 25th August

HKU emailed me this afternoon and invited me for interview on 25th August

This is really late! Do you mind telling whether you had an interview before and whether you are a high school leaver or degree holder?

This is really late! Do you mind telling whether you had an interview before and whether you are a high school leaver or degree holder?

No, didnt have interview before. They rejected me in May in fact. I wrote in to request for review of application because I think I should make the cut in terms of academics. I'm a high school leaver.

No, didnt have interview before. They rejected me in May in fact. I wrote in to request for review of application because I think I should make the cut in terms of academics. I'm a high school leaver.

Where did you study high school? And do you do A-levels or IB?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh Cool! Yes I'm going for interview at HKU on 25th!

Good luck to you! Hope to see a fellow Singaporean joining me at HKU! :)

I'll be glad to help if you need advice for the interview!

To those who have attended university and have gotten an interview or gotten into the schools, would you mind sharing your university GPA?

Thanks a lot!

anyone here is studying medicine overseas?
i m thinking of applying back to hk (hku/cuhk) next year, starting year one again or above...

Yea, I am currently studying med overseas and I've completed my 3rd year.
Do we have to start from Yr 1 if we apply back to HK? :confused:

EDIT: Yes, we do ...

Last edited:
oh no...
what willl be the requirements for 2012 entry?
where do u study?

Yea, I am currently studying med overseas and I've completed my 3rd year.
Do we have to start from Yr 1 if we apply back to HK? :confused:

EDIT: Yes, we do ...

Hi guys, im currently studying AL in UK goin into yr 13 & looking to apply for med.
next yr 334 systems means uni places would be even more competitive. me getting in is practically impossible.
i think requirements for med and dental are:
GCSE 10a*
AL all above 90%

having an offer in uk is already the limit TT

I have got med offers from both cambridge and cuhk for 2011 entry. I wonder is the career prospect in hk really outstand cambridge? For your reference, my father has prostatic adenocarsinoma and is on hormonal therapy and currently stable, but the thing is you never know. I really need to make a decision real soon, please do give me some second opinions.

p.s. I prefer study of clinical science

I have got med offers from both cambridge and cuhk for 2011 entry. I wonder is the career prospect in hk really outstand cambridge? For your reference, my father has prostatic adenocarsinoma and is on hormonal therapy and currently stable, but the thing is you never know. I really need to make a decision real soon, please do give me some second opinions.

Cambridge is renowned for its medicine and therefore your career prospect is gonna be much better if you choose to study there. Second, clinical exposure is stressed in UK uni as far as I know while you spend most of your time learning theories in HK. Having broadened horizons and more indepth clinical knowledge, it is much easier for you to further your study or work in the aspect of clinical science.
But your case is a little bit special in the way that your dad has some kind of sicknesses. Costs of studying abroad, moreover, are apparently much higher in Cambridge.
So it's up to your own choice.
Hope my advice does help you in some ways.

If your aim is simply to work as a doctor, it makes no difference whether you are from CUHK or CamBridge.If you aim at research, Cambridge opens more doors for you.Teachingwise, HK completely copies UK system, so difference is also negligible though minor variations do exist among diff Us.If you want to practice in HK after graduation, you need to take the LMCHK which can be difficult even for a Cambridge grauduate. But I do have confidence in Cambridge graduates to pass the exam though not necessary in the first attempt.I would say if you want to be more academic, Cambridge gives you more opportunities.If you just want to be a doctor working in Hong Kong, you choose a specialty after graduation, pass the professional exam and basically THERE ARE NO DIFFERENCES WHETHER YOU ARE FROM CAMBRIDGE, OXFORD, CUHK, OR HKU, your pay will be the SAME!!! 5 years in medical school, 1 year internship, then practise in UK.If you want to practise in HK, you need to spend 1-2 year for the exam and 1 more year internship in a HK hospital,So the issue is whether you are willing to spend 2-3 years more to enjoy the brand name of being a CAMBRIDGE graduate.If you are not sure where you will practise after graduation, you should definitely choose Cambridge.I join as a member in order to answer your question, I am a doctor in HK.It is a difficult choice.

Last edited:
I see no reasons why you give up a prestigious offer from cambridge especially when what you wanna do is clinical science. To be a university student means you can enjoy a good level of flexibility. So if you are afraid you have to spend time in caring your dad or you won't be financially sufficient for some time, think about accept the cambridge offer first but suspend your study when it's really necessary. You won't be able to suspend in secondary school but you are able to do so in university.

I am not teaching you to be selfish, but you still have at least 30 more years to go. if you accept an offer from cambridge, it means a more robust training in medical research especially when compared to cuhk or any local uni. Your connections established in cambridge can also increase your possiblity of publishing manuscripts in good med journals (with high impact factors). this all can help your career in the coming 30 years. i m a hong konger working exactly in what you wanna work in the future. so i feel myself quite a suitable one to give you advice and so i register because of your msg. anyway, i hope you have a bright future in whatever you choose and hope this info is helpful to you.:)