Army Anyone accepted to AEGD-1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone accepted to AEGD-1? When did you find out?

Also, is it true that you can do your residency without being licensed?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone knows the average stats for being accepted? Rumor has it that AEGD-1s are difficult to get into now.

Since CV/Resume is not required now, do you integrate most of that information into your personal statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone knows how competitive it is to get an AEGD-1 slot? I know the Army requires graduating senior to apply for it. The reason I am asking is because my state requires it and it can implicate which credentialing exam that I want to take.

I was accepted for the AEGD-1 but declined the offer. Heard mid-December and had to respond by the 2nd of January. I have one classmate who accepted the offer and 3-4 Army classmates who did not hear back. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I was accepted for the AEGD-1 but declined the offer. Heard mid-December and had to respond by the 2nd of January. I have one classmate who accepted the offer and 3-4 Army classmates who did not hear back. Let me know if you have any other questions.

What do you think contributed the most to getting accepted to an AEGD-1?

Last edited:
Just a curiosity, is it possible to get into AEGD program once you are in the army as a general dentist for one year? Can we reapply after one year?

Just a curiosity, is it possible to get into AEGD program once you are in the army as a general dentist for one year? Can we reapply after one year?
No. The 1 yr AEGD is only available to graduating HPSPers. Direct accessions and others in the Army are not eligible. The 2 yr AEGD or other traditional specialties will be your only options once in the Army.

What do you think contributed the most to getting accepted to an AEGD-1? Did you include leadership/extra-curricular activities in your statement since the Army did not require a CV or resume?

Although the Army does not require a CV per se, there is an area in the application where you are allowed to place extra-curriculars, honors, achievements, etc. For myself I had average extra-curriculars, nothing too stellar, and a decent GPA.

Last edited:
Although the Army does not require a CV per se, there is an area in the application where you are allowed to place extra-curriculars, honors, achievements, etc. For myself I had average extra-curriculars, nothing to stellar, and a decent GPA.

What is a decent GPA nowadays in dental school?

What is a decent GPA nowadays in dental school?
I wouldn't say a GPA score is the biggest deal...since most schools do not have them now...they have pass/fail. The bigger factor is a class ranking, if your school does that.

If they do have GPA, then your school would have class ranking, which comes back to the bigger of the 2.

I wouldn't say a GPA score is the biggest deal...since most schools do not have them now...they have pass/fail. The bigger factor is a class ranking, if your school does that.

If they do have GPA, then your school would have class ranking, which comes back to the bigger of the 2.

I am curious. How do you use class ranking objectively? How do you compare an applicant who is 100/250 at NYU vs. 35/100 at Western (both with similar GPA)? Also, how do you determine if an applicant comes from a very competitive class? For example, you are ranked 50/100 with a 3.4, while the another person in the class ahead of you at the same school that has a 3.4 and is ranked 25/100?

Last edited:
It is comparing you to your peers. Nothing is perfect...but it helps to stratify applicants. The board does not have much to work with in terms of your knowledge and such out of school...so this helps.