Anybody who have been accepted from University of Southern California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTangel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anybody get answer from USC?????:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I got an acceptance letter from them in December

Oh really?
I did not hear any news from them.....this is sad:cry:
I guess I have no hope right!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard from them in November - but applied really early - th0mast33, where are you going? I've decided on USC - very excited:laugh:

just curious on how you guys plan on paying for the tuition at USC??
I got accepted to UOP, but have no idea how to pay for the expensive price.

I was thinking about going there until I went to the orientation and learned about the tuition/living expenses...which totals (if i remember correctly) to around 200k.

I am going to attend UCSF/SFSU, which was my number 1 choice anyway based on location, quality of education, and cost.

The total tuition costs for ucsf/sfsu is around 40k compared to 120k for usc. Although living expenses are probably a bit higher, the far lower cost of tuition more then makes up for it

how much is tuition at uop?

I think the tuition cost of UOP is similar to that of USC, but the only difference is that the cost of living is very low for the area around the school, which is Stockton, CA. The program is also 2 years, so you finish a year earlier than other programs, but that has its advantages as well as disadvantages. The obvious advantages I see are that you can work a year earlier than other programs and start making money. The disadvantages are that the cirriculum might be a little rushed and intensive and that the school has the least amount of clinicall experience than other similar programs out here in the west. So choose wisely.

I think the tuition cost of UOP is similar to that of USC, but the only difference is that the cost of living is very low for the area around the school, which is Stockton, CA. The program is also 2 years, so you finish a year earlier than other programs, but that has its advantages as well as disadvantages. The obvious advantages I see are that you can work a year earlier than other programs and start making money. The disadvantages are that the cirriculum might be a little rushed and intensive and that the school has the least amount of clinicall experience than other similar programs out here in the west. So choose wisely.

Wow really? The least? You wouldn't expect that from one of the top PT schools in the nation. How do you find out information about the amount of clinical experience for each program, cause that's kinda important.

I got accepted a couple of weeks ago to USC. I also attended their open house event back in January. It is a great facility, it has lots to offer, and the professors were very confident, straightfoward, and honest. The DPT students were very happy with the program. Its just the tuition and cost of living out there was unrealistic in my opinion. It was very hard for me to say "no" to such a prestigious school but in the long run it will have been a great decision from my standpoint. I rather be using that money to travel, buy real estate or to have fun with rather than paying the price for prestige. The starting salary from any school is in a similar range or fits the bill in that demographic area. If USC guaranteed me a higher pay compared to other schools then I'd be all about USC but they don't... Plus I can't come up with the $1,000 deposit that they wanted from me within their time frame but I will keep the acceptance letter as an accomplishment.

Those of you who got accepted by USC,

Did you receive acceptance letter? Or email?

Is there anybody in waitinglist for USC?

Wow really? The least? You wouldn't expect that from one of the top PT schools in the nation. How do you find out information about the amount of clinical experience for each program, cause that's kinda important.

Yes, they do have one of the least amount of clinical experience. You can find out on the APTA website for each individual school and compare. I was there on an interview and they gave us the information, but nobody really said "we have the least." They don't want you to know that, so I had to research it myself and make the connection. If you really looked at the program it is only two years, so how can they fit so much clinical experience into such a short amount of time along with the didactic cirriculum. It just doesn't make sense for a program to be that short. Even master's level programs are more than two years and they have more clinical experience than UOP. If you want to take a short cut than go to UOP, but I would not take that chance on my education. Rough it out for another year somewhere else and learn the information and be a confident PT when you leave. It is very important so make your choice wisely.

Yes, they do have one of the least amount of clinical experience. You can find out on the APTA website for each individual school and compare. I was there on an interview and they gave us the information, but nobody really said "we have the least." They don't want you to know that, so I had to research it myself and make the connection. If you really looked at the program it is only two years, so how can they fit so much clinical experience into such a short amount of time along with the didactic cirriculum. It just doesn't make sense for a program to be that short. Even master's level programs are more than two years and they have more clinical experience than UOP. If you want to take a short cut than go to UOP, but I would not take that chance on my education. Rough it out for another year somewhere else and learn the information and be a confident PT when you leave. It is very important so make your choice wisely.
I misunderstood you, I was under the impression that USC had the least amount of clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Understandable, I type really fast and don't reread or edit. USC has a lot of clinical experience so no problem there. They have their own hospital and the PT program is housed right next to it.

does anyone know whether all the people that were invited to usc's open house were granted acceptance into the program? anybody not invited to the open house get accepted?

I am pretty sure that everyone that APPLIED to USC was invited to the open house because it was directed towards all applicants.

USC has to be a waste of money. You can attend a school for almost half the cost and get just as much out of it (i.e. an equal salary at an equally prestigious hospital/pt center).

i have a feeling that the students attending USC's PT program are the one's whose mommy and daddy are flipping the bill for them. otherwise, good luck paying those loans back.

USC does cost a lot of money, hence the name: University of Spoiled Children...lol

In my particular case, I am finishing my master's right now and should be done before I start my PT school this fall. If I get into my #1 school, I have ran all the numbers and my combined undergrad (bachelor's), masters, and PT degree will still be cheaper than USC. Three for the price of one. :D

USC does cost a lot of money, hence the name: University of Spoiled Children...lol

In my particular case, I am finishing my master's right now and should be done before I start my PT school this fall. If I get into my #1 school, I have ran all the numbers and my combined undergrad (bachelor's), masters, and PT degree will still be cheaper than USC. Three for the price of one. :D

What's your number 1 school and how much is it?

My #1 would probably be CSULB since it is state and cost a lot less. If I don't get in than I will have to go the private route, but I think even with other private schools, USC will still be 30-35% more expensive. Everyone's situation is different, but I had my undergrad pretty much paid for through scholarships and grants. My master's on the other hand was not, but is still cheap since it will be from a state institution.

My undergrad (B.S.) + master's (M.P.H) + master's (M.P.T) =

5k + 20k + 25k = 50k (estimate)

Private School Scenario

5k + 20k + 75k = 100k (estimate) ~ still cheaper than USC :D

pttrac- if you decide to go to CSULB let me know. I'm an undergrad there an I'm taking some of the first year PT classes now.

Last edited:
kcgregor - I will let you know if I end up going there. It would be nice to know some people. It sounds like you're planning to apply to CSULB, since you're taking the classes. I wished I knew when I was an undergrad. I would have taken those classes.

I believe that some of the classes kcgregor is talking about can only be taken at CSULB. You're basically provisionally admitted to CSULB's MPT program if you come from an undergrad institution other than CSULB or if you haven't taken those courses while at CSULB. I believe that there are 6 courses that you have to finish before getting into the program and that's why it's a 3 year MPT program, yet only 2 years for those who've already taken them as an undergrad much like what kcgregor is doing. I'm from Long Beach so I know of a some people who are kinesiology majors at CSULB that are getting those courses out of the way by taking it as an undergrad. I'm not too sure about CSUN anyways, since their MPT program is also 3 years.

I believe that some of the classes kcgregor is talking about can only be taken at CSULB. You're basically provisionally admitted to CSULB's MPT program if you come from an undergrad institution other than CSULB or if you haven't taken those courses while at CSULB. I believe that there are 6 courses that you have to finish before getting into the program and that's why it's a 3 year MPT program, yet only 2 years for those who've already taken them as an undergrad much like what kcgregor is doing. I'm from Long Beach so I know of a some people who are kinesiology majors at CSULB that are getting those courses out of the way by taking it as an undergrad. I'm not too sure about CSUN anyways, since their MPT program is also 3 years.

That's kinda what I'm doing. I'm taking the physiology class now and I'm hoping to get into the applied anatomy class in the fall. I'm trying to graduate at the end of next spring so I'm just taking what classes I can. I figure that it might help me get into the PT program at CSULB. If I don't go there, I'll be ahead of the game where ever I decide to go to PT school.

I actually have a friend in CSUNs PT program and CSUN does not offer the same thing as CSULB in that all PT classes are for PT students only.

I always hold onto stuff from previous classes (if they're important like this physiology class is). If you choose to go to long beach, I would happy to e-mail you a copy of my notes and give you some tips for the class. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely look you up if I get into the CSULB program. I just got word from CSUN that they are missing my transcripts so I have to get all that stuff to them asap. I guess they are looking over applications right now.