Anybody obtaining (or using) toxicology or critical care fellowship training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paramed2premed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the EM folks who get this training doing? I figure there are a few poison control directors, but besides that. I know about the various issues surrounding CC training and certification, but what do EMPs do with that training?

This is heinously premature (MS-III) on my part, of course, but I'm trying to think ahead.

Members don't see this ad.

Toxicologists are usually at academic medical centers. They might not be directors of poison control centers and may only be involved with clinical medicine. (We do not have a poison control center, but do have a toxicology on faculty. He's involved with toxicology training for our residents.) Most that pursue toxicology fellowship training do so to satisfy their own curiosity.

Critical care trained emergency physicians do find jobs, despite not having the ability to become board certified (credentialed actually) in critical care medicine. One of our EM attendings is also a MICU attending. It is likely that EM CCM trained individuals will get subspecialty certification/credentialling in the not too distant future -- probably 10 years, possibly 5. There is a big movement for this right now. It could happen as soon as 5 years if some get their way. Regardless, you can still find jobs in critical care without being certified in CCM.

Thanks for your perspective Southerndoc. I'm looking into doing a tox rotation next year at NYU, and I'll probably get further views there.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a tox guy who runs our poison control center at UMMC.

For Tox, even if you're not running a Poison Center, you can take call for them and/or run a Tox consult service... making an ungodly amount of money per hour or course.

These days, google is often my #1 Toxicologist though... :laugh: