Is tox fellowship worth it ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jarafernando

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No tox specific job ...unless you are lucky to be a medical director of a poison center . Couple of my freinds regretting doing toxicology fellowship . they are thinking if they would have done critical care or EMS or sports medicine, they could have been in much better position

Members don't see this ad.

Jarafernando, did you actually even do tox?

It is true that there are some that haven’t been able to make a full-time career out of Toxicology. But some do (I know plenty, and I personally do 80% tox, and no I don’t work in a poison center). And if they do, they may make less than their EM only counterparts (I make about the same). However, even if some people decide to continue only doing EM after their tox fellowship, a toxicology fellowship can make someone a more confident (and more competent) emergency physician.

My husband is an emergency medicine physician in the community. He didn’t do a fellowship. He loves what he does. He was top of his class in med school and is very smart. But you better believe he calls me at all hours asking all kinds of random questions because he knows that these obscure things he sees every once in a while are the things I was trained in. I have experienced the “is this tox” question on countless occasions in my consults. He knows that I have differentials for pretty much anything he could throw at me.

EM is lucrative. But burnout is real. People don’t go into tox for the money necessarily… they go in to it because they enjoy the challenge. For me, I’m much less burned out than my husband. If I had to make the choice again, I would still do the “2 year fellowship that cost me $800,000” ten times to be where I am right now. 🙄

It's a little weird to come into a sub-forum for a subspecialty you don't seem to be a part of and try to talk someone out of doing it a year after they posted and then share your anecdotal stories about how it's a terrible career choice and people should do another sub-specialty you don't seem to practice either.