Any SIKHS out there ????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi guys
this one si for all who love punjabi poetry.

Amrita Pritam

Aaj aakhaN Waris Shah nuuN

aaj aakhaN Waris Shah nuuN, kitoN kabraaN vichchoN bol,
te aaj kitab-e ishq daa koii aglaa varkaa phol

ik roii sii dhii punjaab dii, tuuN likh likh maare vaen,
aaj lakhaaN dhiiaaN rondiaa, tainuN waris shah nuN kahen

uTh dardmandaaN diaa dardiaa, uth takk apnaa Punjaab
aaj bele lashaaN bichhiaaN te lahu dii bharii chenab

kise ne panjaN paniaN vichch dittii zahar ralaa
te unhaaN paniiaaN dharat nuuN dittaa paanii laa

is zarkhez zamiin de luun luun phuttia zaher
gitth gitth charhiaaN laaliaN fuuT fuuT charhiaa kaher

veh valliissii vha pher, van van vaggii jaa,
ohne har ik vans di vanjhalii ditti naag banaa

pehlaa dang madaariaN, mantar gaye guaach,
dooje dang di lagg gayii, jane khane nuN laag

laagaaN kiile lok muNh, bus phir dang hi dang,
palo palii punjaab de, neele pae gaye ang

gale`oN tutt`e geet phir, takaleon tuttii tand,
trinjanoN tuttiaaN saheliaaN, chaRakhRre ghuukar band

sane sej de beriaaN, luddaN dittiaaN rohr,
sane daliaan peengh aj, piplaaN dittii toR

jitthe vajdii sii phuuk pyaar dii, ve oh vanjhalii gayii guaach
raanjhe de sab veer aaj, bhul gaye uhadii jaach

dhartii te lahoo varsiyaa, kabraaN paiaaN choan,
preet diaaN shaahzaadiaaN, aaj vichch mazaaraaN roan

aaj sabbhe `Qaido` ban gaye, husn ishq de chor
aaj kitthoN liaaiye labbh ke waris shah ik hor

aaj aakhaN waris shah nuuN, kitoN kabraan vichchoN bol,
te aaj kitaab-e ishq daa, koii aglaa varkaa phol

Translation

Today, I call Waris Shah, “Speak from inside your grave”
And turn, today, the book of love’s next affectionate page

Once, one daughter of Punjab cried; you wrote a wailing saga
Today, a million daughters, cry to you, Waris Shah

Rise! O’ narrator of the grieving; rise! look at your Punjab
Today, fields are lined with corpses, and blood fills the Chenab

Someone has mixed poison in the five rivers’ flow
Their deadly water is, now, irrigating our lands galore

This fertile land is sprouting, venom from every pore
The sky is turning red from endless cries of gore

The toxic forest wind, screams from inside its wake
Turning each flute’s bamboo-shoot, into a deadly snake

With the first snake-bite; charmers lost their spell
The second bite turned all and sundry, into snakes, as well

Drinking from this deadly stream, filling the land with bane
Slowly, Punjab’s limbs have turned black and blue, with pain

The street-songs have been silenced; cotton threads are snapped
Girls have left their playgroups; the spinning wheels are cracked

Our wedding beds are boats, their logs have cast away
Our hanging swing, the Pipal tree has broken in disarray

Lost is the flute, which once, blew sounds of the heart
Ranjha’s brothers, today, no longer know this art

Blood rained on our shrines; drenching them to the core
Damsels of amour, today, sit crying at their door

Today everyone is, ‘Qaido;’ thieves of beauty and ardor
Where can we find, today, another Warish Shah, once more

Today, I call Waris Shah, “Speak from inside your grave”
And turn, today, the book of love’s next affectionate page

---xxx---

Members don't see this ad.

i guess MAHAUL TODHA SERIOUS HO GAYA.so its the time to cheer u up with these jokes.i hope u like it.

1.A woman gets home, schreeches her car into the driveway, runs into the house, slams the door and shouts at the top of her lungs, 'Honey, pack your bags. I won the damn lottery for 1 crore!'

The husband says, 'Ohmigod! Where are we going, Goa, Switzerland, America...???'

The wife yells back, 'I couldn't care less... just get the hell out!'

2. A man was just recovering in hospital after being unconscious for a week. His wife was sitting by his side when he woke up.

Man: Honey, you've been by my side when I was in that car crash, you were there when I lost my job, you were present when my parents died, and you were by my side when someone stole all my money from my account... and you know what?

Wife: What?

Man: I think you're bad luck.

Jokes apart...any one on here who is an MD?

Baaki sab theek thak hai

fer milange

And my favorite slogan on the back of those Indian Trucks...."Buri najar wale tera mooh kala"

gag said:
i guess MAHAUL TODHA SERIOUS HO GAYA.so its the time to cheer u up with these jokes.i hope u like it.

1.A woman gets home, schreeches her car into the driveway, runs into the house, slams the door and shouts at the top of her lungs, 'Honey, pack your bags. I won the damn lottery for 1 crore!'

The husband says, 'Ohmigod! Where are we going, Goa, Switzerland, America...???'

2. A man was just recovering in hospital after being unconscious for a week. His wife was sitting by his side when he woke up.

Man: Honey, you've been by my side when I was in that car crash, you were there when I lost my job, you were present when my parents died, and you were by my side when someone stole all my money from my account... and you know what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Imhotep said:
Jokes apart...any one on here who is an MD?

Baaki sab theek thak hai

fer milange

And my favorite slogan on the back of those Indian Trucks...."Buri najar wale tera mooh kala"

I do not understand old punjabi jutti and kala paraana on the trucks.....to keep away the buree nazar......what purpose do these 2 serve??

Nice one Gag. That's a real good poetry by Amrita Pritam. My bhuaji was a huge fan of hers.

Hey Guys I saw Rang de Basanti. Really nice one. Esp all the Toronto people should watch it in theatre. Its playing in the Albion theatres. Here's their website http://www.goldentheatres.com/albion/index.asp.

decjunia said:
Nice one Gag. That's a real good poetry by Amrita Pritam. My bhuaji was a huge fan of hers.

Hey Guys I saw Rang de Basanti. Really nice one. Esp all the Toronto people should watch it in theatre. Its playing in the Albion theatres. Here's their website http://www.goldentheatres.com/albion/index.asp.
check your pm.I saw that movie it is amazing.
Today, new goverment is coming in the limelight of Canada,But no Indians in it,I guess .

decjunia said:

hi decjunia
thanks,buddy.that one is my fav from amrita pritam's collection.but i know ,not many people from our generation r fans of punjabi poetry.and u know what,here in winnipeg u wo'nt have access to some movie that soon and the website i used to download movies from is down these days.but i'm dying to watch it.
plz don't mind for little bit of corruption here.r u going to write EE canada in may?

gag said:
hi decjunia
thanks,buddy.that one is my fav from amrita pritam's collection.but i know ,not many people from our generation r fans of punjabi poetry.and u know what,here in winnipeg u wo'nt have access to some movie that soon and the website i used to download movies from is down these days.but i'm dying to watch it.
plz don't mind for little bit of corruption here.r u going to write EE canada in may?

Nope not taking the Canadian exam just Nbde part1.

Hey where is everybody,This thread is dying.
I think everybody is busy in current hot topic of NYU.Congratulations ,who got in.

Check out http://ektaone.com/ its a great site for shabads. on left hand side if u go on audio u'll find all the keertani even Bhai Harjinder Singhji. U can even download the shabads.

decjunia said:
Check out http://ektaone.com/ its a great site for shabads. on left hand side if u go on audio u'll find all the keertani even Bhai Harjinder Singhji. U can even download the shabads.

Thanks dear,this site is really amazing,thanks for letting us know.

lol!good onez,gag!keep it up bud!
gag said:

Members don't see this ad :)
hi fido,
pls clear ur inbox(pm Box)...ur messages are bouncin back!!

hi
could i also have the material.my id is [email protected]
sorry to enter into punjabi thread par mein bhi himachal to hain and i just love makki di roti te sarson da saag.
just back from india,karnal haveli is really good.

Hi,

there is one interesting news for the CRICKET lovers.

[B]England's Sikh spinner Panesar excites locals [/B] http://www.eians.com/http://www.eians.com/
By Qaiser Mohammad Ali, Indo-Asian News Service
Mohali, March 8 (IANS) Left-arm spinner Monty Panesar, who launched his Test career last week with the prized wicket of Sachin Tendulkar, will try to put up a memorable performance in front of his parents and grandparents who are expected to watch the second Test starting here Thursday.
After Panesar, the first Sikh to play for England, dismissed Tendulkar as his maiden Test victim on his debut in the drawn first Test in Nagpur, the master batsman presented his bat to him and also signed the willow.
The prospect of Paneasr, who has his roots in Ludhiana city of Punjab, playing in Mohali has excited the locals, who were heard talking about the spinner.
Apart from his immediate family members, some friends are also expected to turn up at the Punjab Cricket Association Stadium over the next five days, said Panesar.
'I don't know how many friends and family will be coming to watch the Test but certainly quite a few,' he told sportinglife.com
'It's very nice to be playing a Test match in the state (Punjab) where my family comes from, but my main focus will have to be the cricket and trying to help England,' Panesar said.
Although Mudhsuden Singh Panesar, to write his full name, took only three wickets in Nagpur, they were crucial wickets. And he began it all with the scalp of Tendulkar, and added the wickets of captain Rahul Dravid and Mohammed Kaif, who scored a fine 91.
The 23-year-old Luton-born player made his first-class debut in 2001 and has earned the England cap through sheer hard work. After having represented Bedfordshire, he turned out for Northamptonshire. On his first-class debut against Leicestershire, Panesar bagged eight for 131 to leave an instant impression.
He also played for the England under-19 side before being picked for the tour of India.

> A new lecturer was unable
> to
> control the class. The guys were just talking
> without
> giving any attention to him.
> So he wanted to send a guy who was creating most of
> the problem out. But he doesn't know how to put it
> in
> English..
> He went near the guy. Shouted "follow me" .The guy
> followed him till he went out of the class. Now the
> lecturer turned back and again shouted "Don't follow
> me" and went inside the class..........
>
> # Inside the Class :
> * Open the doors of the window. Let the atmosphere
> come in.
> * Open the doors of the window. Let the Air Force
> come
> in.
> * Cut an apple into two halves - take the bigger
> half.
>
> * Shhh...Quiet, boys...the principal just passed
> away
> in the corridor
> * You, meet me behind the class. ( meaning AFTER the
> class .. )
> * Both of u three, get out of the class.
> * Close the doors of the windows please .. I have
> winter in my nose today ...
> * Take Copper Wire of any metal especially of
> Silver.....
> * Take 5 cm wire of any length....
>
> # About his family :
> * I have two daughters. Both of them are girls...(?)
>
>
>
> # At the ground :
> * All of you, stand in a straight circle.
> * There is no wind in the balloon.
>
> # To a boy, angrily :
> * I talk, he talk, why you middle middle talk ?
>
>
> # Giving a punishment :
> You, rotate the ground four times...
> * You, go and under-stand the tree...
> * You three of you, stand together separately.
> * Why are you late - say YES or NO ....(?)
>
>
> # Sir at his best :
> Sir had once gone to a film with his wife.
> By chance, he happened to see one of our boys at the
> theatre, though the boy did not see them.
> So the next day at school... (to that boy ) - "
> Yesterday I saw you WITH MY WIFE at the Cinema
> Theatre"

:laugh:
decjunia said:
> A new lecturer was unable
> to
> control the class. The guys were just talking
> without
> giving any attention to him.
> So he wanted to send a guy who was creating most of
> the problem out. But he doesn't know how to put it
> in
> English..
> He went near the guy. Shouted "follow me" .The guy
> followed him till he went out of the class. Now the
> lecturer turned back and again shouted "Don't follow
> me" and went inside the class..........
>
> # Inside the Class :
> * Open the doors of the window. Let the atmosphere
> come in.
> * Open the doors of the window. Let the Air Force
> come
> in.
> * Cut an apple into two halves - take the bigger
> half.
>
> * Shhh...Quiet, boys...the principal just passed
> away
> in the corridor
> * You, meet me behind the class. ( meaning AFTER the
> class .. )
> * Both of u three, get out of the class.
> * Close the doors of the windows please .. I have
> winter in my nose today ...
> * Take Copper Wire of any metal especially of
> Silver.....
> * Take 5 cm wire of any length....
>
> # About his family :
> * I have two daughters. Both of them are girls...(?)
>
>
>
> # At the ground :
> * All of you, stand in a straight circle.
> * There is no wind in the balloon.
>
> # To a boy, angrily :
> * I talk, he talk, why you middle middle talk ?
>
>
> # Giving a punishment :
> You, rotate the ground four times...
> * You, go and under-stand the tree...
> * You three of you, stand together separately.
> * Why are you late - say YES or NO ....(?)
>
>
> # Sir at his best :
> Sir had once gone to a film with his wife.
> By chance, he happened to see one of our boys at the
> theatre, though the boy did not see them.
> So the next day at school... (to that boy ) - "
> Yesterday I saw you WITH MY WIFE at the Cinema
> Theatre"

Count me in.I am Sikh too from Chandigarh currently living in Toronto Canada.

i am from amritsar, coming to kentucky in july.if anyone want me to get lasssi or sarron da saag te makki di roti contact me. bye

man! tell me u r not kidding! :smuggrin: r u really gonna get roti,saag and lassi allthe way from india?? :confused: :eek:
funtastic82 said:
i am from amritsar, coming to kentucky in july.if anyone want me to get lasssi or sarron da saag te makki di roti contact me. bye

ya i am a jatt sikh did bds from india ,manipal gave part1 and toefl got 86 and 250 hows it!

decjunia said:

a real good website........
have you tried Proud to be sikh.com........thats another good one where you can even read gurbaani along with the meanings and verses translated in punjabi, hindi and english .
Must visit the website once.....i am sure you will like it

hi
i need released papers ,if u stil have plz let meknow ,my email is
[email protected]

thanks
DENTISTHONEY said:
i am passing on these exams to everyone for free. just send me ur e-mail...................i am not selling these papers. i think now you must get it what i am saying.

Hi !! Me too , from Ludhiana .

Hello punjabi friends,

How did Holi go for all you out there in India or here. I missed it a lot this year...didnt get to play at all :(

MilesOfSmiles said:
a real good website........
have you tried Proud to be sikh.com........thats another good one where you can even read gurbaani along with the meanings and verses translated in punjabi, hindi and english .
Must visit the website once.....i am sure you will like it

I did check out www.proudtobesikh.com . Its a quite nice site with Live keertan from Harmandir Sahib.
:thumbup:

:) :)
DENTISTHONEY said:
hi to all
hey iam from patiala tooo....... from which dental school u did ur bds.......iam from sunam... :)

I feel really very happy to see so many inputs over here. As everyone is disclosing which city they belong to, so here its my lovely, small, grade A city of Punjab......PATIALA.....I am proud of to be Patialvi and of Patilavi turban style.Miss my city and people a lot. Manu De Lassi da koi mukabla nahi. Sheraanwala gate, Barandari, Kila chownk, BYYI no. Phatak, Jaggi sweets, Gopal Sweets, .............and at last but famous all over world is Punjabi Juti.

im sikh as well from az (arizona)
lol whats next a "post your picture" thread?

drm.psingh said:
count me in as well
from ludhiana
hey i am from ludhiana too;if i am not wrong are u accepted in nyu ?

decjunia said:
Hi everybody
Well I ve been seeing threads where people from different communities are coming together. It feels good to know each other. So just starting this thread to know how many SIKHS are there in this forum & where are you located? I am in Toronto Ca
mera naam ve likh lo.brampton canada

sat sri akal!
by the way ,anybody watches 'indian idol' on sony?

sat sri akal!
by the way ,does anyone watch 'indian idol' on sony?

Sat sri akal.

Aur Vaisakhi de ki plan hain?
Ek saal kini juldi jaanda hai.....lagda hai kal hi te si vaisakhi :)

decjunia said:
Hi everybody
Well I ve been seeing threads where people from different communities are coming together. It feels good to know each other. So just starting this thread to know how many SIKHS are there in this forum & where are you located? I am in Toronto Canada.
hi everybody,
i m from moga ,punjab.i m here in vancouver,canada.good to find u all hee.

HAPPY BAISAKHI TO ALL SDN FRIENDS :)

Happy baisakhi to all of u.ENJOY..............

hi friends...
did u guys see"rang de basanti"?
I saw it recently,and its worth a watch.
i loved Dj and Suuuuuu.

DENTISTHONEY said:
i am passing on these exams to everyone for free. just send me ur e-mail...................i am not selling these papers. i think now you must get it what i am saying.
hi ,
i know its long time u have posted this message . would u mind sending me the papers which u have . as i am planning to take part 1 in june . thanks in advance .

I'm a sadarni :cool: , from Vancouver, living and studying in South India. My family, whats left, stays in Jalandhar and Hoshapur(sp?). I miss the villages man! I want aloo parantha with GHEE, and saag. :D Here in the south they think palak is what saag is supposed to be. That and any guy here who grows a beard and wears a turban will open up a punjabi restaurant, even though they are SOUTH INDIAN!! :mad: Its ok, I know. Anyways, I'm going for NDBE part 1 in July. Anyone got any helpful hints or tips?? :idea:

Happy Baisaiki, birth of Khalsa