Any scholarship to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teddygirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have completed my schooling and after a lag of a year I'm planning to do my graduation in medicine. My financial status isn't that good. My family is sinking in debts and this was the reason I had a years lag. I have a GPA of 2.75 and I'm looking for a scholarship. Is there a scholarship that I can apply to? Any info regarding this will be very much helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

You should start by looking at what med schools you have a reasonable chance at applying to (with an unknown MCAT and a GPA of 2.75, you probably won't have very many options) and see what they offer in terms of financial support. Just going off your GPA, your probably looking at maybe going to a US DO school or going abroad. If you go abroad, you won't have any real scholarship options.

I wouldn't go to school in the US or abroad if you are in debt....they won't give you a 300K loan to cover US tuition a
But with a 2.75GPA you honestly should probably fix that first, if you do secure a loan big enough

Members don't see this ad :)
2.75, you need to spend some time to bring up your GPA and repair your academics. As of now, the USDO is out of question unless you get a super strong MCAT.

Thanks guys! I did a soft search and realized that a GPA of 2.75 will not give me any scholarship. I don't know if anyone here knew about Aspire's Salvatore Perricone Scholarship.They say that they provide $750 for their qualified members. Again, they have mentioned about GPA there. I'd like to know if anyone here qualified for this with a GPA of 2.75 ?

I'll be blunt and put this out here right now: do a second undergrad if you are in your later years. A 2.75 cGPA will not get you any interviews in Canada let alone admission with scholarship. If you are in first year you might still have time to pull things up to be competitive for USMD or USDO but I wouldn't attempt to apply with anything under 3.5 and a 30+ MCAT.

It's unfortunate your family is in this situation and hopefully things work out for you but think about all that extra debt you'll go into just to get through medical school. Be certain this is something you enjoy doing and live for as opposed to just the pay check.