How soon can I apply for a Permanent residency status (after getting a job)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarsuc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After getting a job as a researcher or so in Canada, how soon can I apply for a permanent residency status?

Some say only after a year, some say within a few months. Hence confused.

Whats the delay in the application getting processed and getting the PR status in hand?

Members don't see this ad.

This is something you should talk to an immigration lawyer about. I doubt anyone here on a premed forum will know.
The questions you need to be asking is not how soon you can apply for PR status, but whether you can apply for PR status. Are you working with a visa right now?
Did you come to Canada with immigration papers? There's a huge difference between landing in Canada with intention to immigrate (landed immigrant), versus someone here on a temporary visa and working a job (usually not eligible to immigrate).
Not sure which you would fit in.

Reactions: 1 user
After getting a job as a researcher or so in Canada, how soon can I apply for a permanent residency status?

Some say only after a year, some say within a few months. Hence confused.

Whats the delay in the application getting processed and getting the PR status in hand?

You need to apply for express entry. To be eligible you need to have a work permit and language tests. If you get both you will PR with in a year or less