any reviews on UMASS amherst online mba?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pittdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard anything about their online mba? i was wondering how challenging it would be to work 40 hours a week and take 2 courses at a time

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone heard anything about their online mba? i was wondering how challenging it would be to work 40 hours a week and take 2 courses at a time

I'm in the program. You can do it and pass. You can also get a seriously awesome education and do very well. Most of my "classmates" are professionals in management out in the field, and the program looks for that specifically. There are a number of practicing physicians in the program as well. No medical students that I have seen so far. ( I'm an MD but I am already in administrative health-care).

Hope this helps.

I know several people who have completed the program. They spoke highly of it. The ACPE (American College of Physician Executives) also has a partnership with this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Once you get into it you would be in a habit and nothing would be difficult..

I'm about 2/3 done with the program.

How long does it take most docs to complete the UMass program? Is there any disadvantage to taking fewer than two course each term? I'd love to finish it quickly but my family and my business need so much time already.

How long does it take most docs to complete the UMass program? Is there any disadvantage to taking fewer than two course each term? I'd love to finish it quickly but my family and my business need so much time already.

On the website, they have demo curricula for accelerated and slower approaches to program completion. They base it on business vs non-business backgrounds in education, but that's subjective.

The program, in fact, does have completion time limits ( i think the max is four years). You can also only have one gap as far as contiguous semesters. Essentially they want you to be enrolled each fall and spring until finished. There are summer and winter semesters ( I have taken courses in each) but they are not required.

For full time physician, more than two classes would be a lot to do, and I don't see how someone could get much from the learning. Just getting the credential is not the right idea. Its about mastering and be able to use the skills, and there are a lot of them.

I am mixing two at a time and one at a time, and will graduate in May 2011 or sooner. I started in Spring of 2008, so basically three years for me, but it could be done faster if someone wanted to go that route.