Any pre-dent URMs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump! Apparently Howard has been giving out invites, any news guys?

Yes sir! Will be there on the 14th :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah this is my first time. I think if I have to do this again, I will only apply to LSU. I'm debating on re-taking the test in Dec or taking a few classes in the spring and then taking it. I can use a class in Chem 101 and 102 to refresh my memory. I learn better in a class setting than by studying at home with my distractions. I'm weighing my options because I will have to stop working in order to take classes.

Hang in there! As long as other parts of your app are fine, then I think a retake will add more strength to it. I know you have a lot on your plate but, if you can, I would suggest taking the classes then going ahead with the DAT retake. You know your study style and the best ways for you to learn material, so if taking a class does that, then that's what you should do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually done all of them, last one was 2 weeks ago (oct 22) so now I wait. I'm happy to be done interviewing, business type traveling is exhausting. Are you excited to go see Howard? (which, btw didn't contact me at ALL haha)

I'm actually done all of them, last one was 2 weeks ago (oct 22) so now I wait. I'm happy to be done interviewing, business type traveling is exhausting. Are you excited to go see Howard? (which, btw didn't contact me at ALL haha)

I wonder why they haven't tried to holla at you? This whole process just leaves me clueless because you never know what to expect. With all of your interviews though, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about :D

But yes, I'm super excited. Of all of the schools I applied to, I felt like it would really be a great fit. I just pray the interview goes well. How do you feel after your interviews? Likes/dislikes?

Um, some interviews made me like schools more than I thought I would, and some left me seriously underwhelmed. Mostly though the result was "ok, that'd be fine I guess, I don't love it I don't hate it". I got most of my insight by seeing how students reacted to each other in the hallways (aka not the super happy students chosen by the adcom office to give tours - they are not going to choose the disgruntled ones). If it seemed like a general positive atmosphere, and people were actually talking to each other and smiling at each other in the halls it made a good impression. The schools that didn't impress me were the ones where students would barrel past one another without even a nod or a smile, as if they didn't interact or didn't want to interact with their "competition".

All of that said, I'm of the school of thought that the cheapest school is the best school to go to because I will be taking on debt that totals more money than some people will see in their lifetime and I don't take that lightly at all. So while I might have liked school A better than school B, if school B is cheaper that's the school for me. Dental school is hard anyways, so why make myself miserable after I graduate by incurring so much debt. Less debt = more career options sooner.

So I-baby how was Howard?

I got more news, turns out I'm not done interviewing, I'll be at Detroit Mercy in the next couple of weeks (pre dec 1). I'm 8/12 now!! :D

So I-baby how was Howard?

I got more news, turns out I'm not done interviewing, I'll be at Detroit Mercy in the next couple of weeks (pre dec 1). I'm 8/12 now!! :D

Congrats dude! You just keep racking them in, huh? :D

Howard was cool. The whole experience made me want to go there even more! I just pray that things work out for me. Everyone I met there was so cool...from students to administration. The environment just felt right. I'll be so sad if I don't get in...

So is anyone else anxious to hear back on Dec 1st? I feel like the days can't go by quick enough. It's weird to think that in 4 days that my career path will be solidified!!!

Hi all,
I was just browsing around and found this discussion board. I'm reapplying for admission for the next cycle. I applied back in '06 to UAB, Meharry, and UT-Memphis but my DAT scores were horrible :( so needless to say I didn't get in. But I picked myself back up and enrolled in a master's program and will be graduating this May with a Master's in Public Health. I'm really excited about reapplying and plan on taking the DAT at the beginning of May and submitting my AADSAS on June 1st.

Hi all,
I was just browsing around and found this discussion board. I'm reapplying for admission for the next cycle. I applied back in '06 to UAB, Meharry, and UT-Memphis but my DAT scores were horrible :( so needless to say I didn't get in. But I picked myself back up and enrolled in a master's program and will be graduating this May with a Master's in Public Health. I'm really excited about reapplying and plan on taking the DAT at the beginning of May and submitting my AADSAS on June 1st.

Yo you applied to the exact same schools I applied to. I go to UAB now for undergrad. Good luck this year.

I have an interview at Meharry on March 27..:D anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure!!!... I'll let you know how its goes. In fact, is an interview experience from a current student:
"It went really well even though the weather was bad coming up that Thursday. There were 15 of us, 8 female and 6 male. Of the 8 females, 6 were of Asian descent or hispanic and 2 AA. Of the 6 males, 4 were AA, 1 Asian, 1 white. They were all cool....we really bonded together or so maybe we appeared to. The school is located in a "ghetto" area, but not that bad to walk to one building to another. Ms. Connolly is strict but once you get to know her, you understand that she's trying to do her job.

I found out I was interviewing for the Post Bacc program and just had to accept that I might need that year of undergraduate strengthening. They said out of the 50 seats in the dental class, 10 are for postbac. And out of the 40 left, they have received 15 deposits, so there are plenty more seats!!! My interviewers(just 2) were really cool and you really can just be yourself. One of my interviewers looked like my aunt so visualizing my aunt helped me open up to her and I could tell she wanted that side of me to come to light. My last interview bragged alot about Meharry.

Beware of the question they ask. They are not the typical. Here were mine:
Why should we admit you?
Three qualities about yourself?
What types of self-improvement would you say you need to do?
What is the purpose of a professor?
Why come to Meharry and not those other schools?
Tell me about a life changing experience?
Why did you not get accepted to the other schools you applied to last year even though you got an interview?
When someone says your name, what one quality should come to mind?
What is your second choice of dental school? Why?
What is your first choice school? Why?

do you see what I had to deal with???!!! It was alright though. I just took a deep breath and let it out...the truth.

Luncheon was great, maybe because they didn't serve any breakfast...just juicies and water. Dental students came and talked about life there and the city life. The tour was short and to the point. Overall, pretty good and confident that doors will open up.....Got to have confidence!!!"

She got into the post- bac program, by the way.

Last edited:
Wow!!! Thank you and please keep my posted

I will! I hope I will do well! I guess no one else has an interview on March 27?

Hey everyone! I have never actually been through the pre-med link so this is my first time seeing this post.

I just want to say good luck to everyone with their whole application process. I love seeing URMs doing big things, especially towards a career in the field of dentistry! Good luck with your interviews/getting you application ready for the aadsas entering class of 2014 application cycle.

You all will do great! Hope to meet you all one day at a future NDA convention!!!

God bless! :)

Hey everyone!! I just found this forum/thread, but I'm an URM pre-dent! I'll be a D1 at my state school this fall!! :)

Still waiting on Meharry!LOL.. :luck:Keeping hope alive!

Wow I haven't been here in a while. ncjdent and simply unique if you haven't already done it, go post your acceptances in the class of 2013 thread on this forum. I elbowed a way in for us dental people haha. Dr pretty smile are you waitlisted at meharry right now?

I was waitlisted last year, got an interview this year and waiting on a response from them. Praying for the best!:luck:

Bump, where is everybody? Studying, applying, and getting....I hope!!!

Hey yall im applying to dental school for 2010!! What schools are you guys applying to??

Meharry
Howard
Loma Linda
Nova
NYU
UT-Memphis
UMich (big maybe .... not sure).
:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Thanks, Anatty! Just going to pray that God will work it out for me.Good luck in dental school:luck:

Hey drprettysmile what state are you from?? And how did you come up with your list of schools to apply to?? Im a Texas resident so im applying to all three texas schools, UT- Memphis, and UF but thats about it lol :D

I am from Miami, Fl and attend school in MS. I'll shoot you a PM.

I sent off my application today. Getting transcripts ready and Letters of recommendation are being mailed. I hopefully will take the DAT on September 19:luck:. Anyone getting interviews yet? Keep encouraged! I know we will have many great success stories this year. LET'S GO!!!!!!!!:nod::soexcited::soexcited::highfive::highfive::clap::luck:

Last edited:
I sent off my application today. Getting transcripts ready and Letters of recommendation are being mailed. I hopefully will take the DAT on September 19:luck:. Anyone getting interviews yet? Keep encouraged! I know we will have many great success stories this year. LET'S GO!!!!!!!!:nod::soexcited::soexcited::highfive::highfive::clap::luck:

Good Luck with the application process.....Keep studying for the DAT and my prayers will be with you.

Application was verified yesterday and ready to be mailed. I hope that applying earlier will help me to gain an acceptance next year. DAT studying is in progress..lol...:p. How is YOUR dental application journey going?:D Lets keep this thread alive people!:luck:

Just wanted to keep this thread alive! I am complete at one school and just waiting on a response. Did anyone recieve any interview invites? Hope everybody is having a great cycle so far. God bless!:love::luck:

Hey. guys.. this thread is kind of dead so lets revive it with good news! I was offfered an interview at Meharry for their dental post-bacc program. In the e-mail it said that the interview will be sometime before April 2010.:luck::luck:. I hope that everything will work out this time. I am also scheduled to take the DAT in November, so I will study like a crazy woman for the next four weeks. My target score is an 18-20. I am adding a couple of other places to my application as well. What about you guys? Any interviews yet? If not remember that God is still in control and He will send you where you need to go. Keep on believing and praying! Its going to happen this year! Be fearless! Work Hard and have a great week!:laugh::soexcited::bow::hello:

Got in Meharry, UT Memphis and VCU.I'm attending VCU in the fall.

Yes, FINALLY! Life on this thread! LOL:) Congrats DST05! That is awesome that you had multiple choices:D What made you choose VCU over Meharry, and UT-Memphis? Was it a hard choice?

Soooo. yeah...lol.. bumping up this thread again.:luck: I am reapplying and e-submitted on July 22. Trying to get my letters of recommendation and transcripts together. Anyone else applying this year ?:luck:

Hi, I'm not applying this year but I am next year. I hope schools see that you are commited to dentistry and hopefully God will open the doors for you. I'm finishing up a postbac it will take me a while but I will get there. I'm doing 17 hrs a semester, but I have a goal and I will accomplish it. I never thouht I would have made it through engineering in undergrad, but I did. It's funny because I never liked math. The thing that gets to me is how stressful this application process is, goodness the thought of being on edge for a year not knowing where I'll be going to school scares me. I'm gonna definetly need to pray more to keep my sanity. :eek:

Checking in here as well.Applying this season and already put in my application.Applying to the 3 texas schools , pitt, case and uconn. Very excited!!

@Docplaque Thanks, I am praying for God's direction in this application process. @every1cheer and sweetdaises2000 good luck to you in this cycle and I hope that we can all report an acceptance by May of this year :)

Any interviews? Updates? LOL... I am taking the DAT over in a couple of weeks...praying for a solid score. Is anyone else taking the DAT? How is YOUR dental journey going?

Hi everyone!! I am currently completely my pre-reqs and I have designed my schedule to coincide with the requirements of my top choices for dental school. However, I am confused by Meharry's requirements(my first choice:D) and I hope someone here can give me some guidance because I haven't gotten a return call from the admission department. The list of requirements states that they want 8 semester hours of inorganic chemistry. Do they actually want inorganic chemistry or is general chemistry acceptable? Would anyone who has been accepted and/or is currently enrolled let me know what you took to fulfill this requirement?

Did anyone receive an acceptance yet? Congrats to those who did!:soexcited::clap::highfive: I am still waiting on an interview, so I have a long journey ahead of me. If you have an acceptance, please post :) Keep this thread alive!!!!!!

Did anyone receive an acceptance yet? Congrats to those who did!:soexcited::clap::highfive: I am still waiting on an interview, so I have a long journey ahead of me. If you have an acceptance, please post :) Keep this thread alive!!!!!!

Hi, drprettysmile. I applied pretty late so I'm still in limbo at several schools. Where did you apply? Good luck!! I hope we get accepted!:xf::luck::luck:

Hi everyone!! I am currently completely my pre-reqs and I have designed my schedule to coincide with the requirements of my top choices for dental school. However, I am confused by Meharry's requirements(my first choice:D) and I hope someone here can give me some guidance because I haven't gotten a return call from the admission department. The list of requirements states that they want 8 semester hours of inorganic chemistry. Do they actually want inorganic chemistry or is general chemistry acceptable? Would anyone who has been accepted and/or is currently enrolled let me know what you took to fulfill this requirement?

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I am pretty sure general chemistry is acceptable. I applied there as well and I know what you mean. They are IMPOSSIBLE to get in touch with lol. Good luck!:luck:

Nobody was accepted on December 1??? If you was accepted, let us know! It is really motivational and inspiring. :):highfive::clap::

Last edited: