Any pre-dent URMs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missymiss

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This URM discussion board really seems to be geared towards Pre-med students. Are there any pre-dent URMs like myself out there?

Would be nice to start up our own discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

What's up? I'm a Black female from Sacramento, CA. I will be applying for Fall 09.

Hey Ladies! You can count me in. I'm hoping to apply for the next cycle as well. Have any of you taken your DATs yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

I'm a black female (Caribbean) from Toronto Canada. I plan to apply in 2009 as I'm in my third year. Doing a major at University of Toronto in Human Biology. Have not taken the DAT yet.

Tell me a bit more about yourselves (ie school attending, major, age etc etc and where you wanna go!)

this is exciting!!!!

hey guys,

I'm a black female (Caribbean) from Toronto Canada. I plan to apply in 2009 as I'm in my third year. Doing a major at University of Toronto in Human Biology. Have not taken the DAT yet.

Tell me a bit more about yourselves (ie school attending, major, age etc etc and where you wanna go!)

this is exciting!!!!

I'm repping California and I am currently pursuing a master's in biological sciences. In undergrad, I double majored in bio sci and psych. I also have yet to take my DATs but I'm aiming for 30s when the time comes :D I am going to be applying broadly: the California schools, Temple, Howard, the Arizona schools, Columbia, Maryland, and other east cost schools. I really want to attend a school in a really urban area because of the patient populations there. How about you?

Hi

Im a predental student as well. I completed my BS and MS in Computer Science and worked for a couple years in high tech and the financial services sectors. I have decided to try for dental school now. I havent taken the DAT yet. I plan on taking it in June. Any recommendation on DAT prep books?

Thanks
A07

Hi

Im a predental student as well. I completed my BS and MS in Computer Science and worked for a couple years in high tech and the financial services sectors. I have decided to try for dental school now. I havent taken the DAT yet. I plan on taking it in June. Any recommendation on DAT prep books?

Thanks
A07

Hey,
I would definitely recommend the DAT destroyer. I bought a used copy but if you want the newest one, I believe you can get it from orgoman.com. Its really thorough when it comes to the sciences. If you can also come up on the books from the Kaplan course (unless you plan on taking the course), I would use those too. Topscore and DAT achiever are also great resources for practice tests and what not. The destroyer and Kaplan materials can often be found in the for sale forums here on SDN (where I purchased mine). TS and Acheiver are computer based tests. I haven't used them yet, but many people have said that acheiver prepares you better for the real DAT as its more difficult than topscore. Are there specific sections that you are looking to focus on?

Hello, I'm new to the forum but have been in the ''shadows'' for a couple of months now. I'm also a pre-dent URM. I'm glad I found this forum because I get a lot of insight on situations that I could have never got in the real world. I started to study for the DAT this year and I plan on taking it in the beginning of Aug. Would you recommend audio learn for the sciences? I ask that because I have a job where I can sit and listen to my Ipod for 7 hrs. Do you think that is a valuable tool to have for the DAT?

Hello, I'm new to the forum but have been in the ''shadows'' for a couple of months now. I'm also a pre-dent URM. I'm glad I found this forum because I get a lot of insight on situations that I could have never got in the real world. I started to study for the DAT this year and I plan on taking it in the beginning of Aug. Would you recommend audio learn for the sciences? I ask that because I have a job where I can sit and listen to my Ipod for 7 hrs. Do you think that is a valuable tool to have for the DAT?

I would say go for it. It can't do anything but help. If hearing something allows you to solidify certain topics then by all means. I myself am more of a visual learner (thanks to that good 'ole photographic memory lol) but saying things out loud definitely helps me. Together with other materials that can be used to help you focus on the pertinent topics, I think you should be fine. I'm not an expert or anything but I would be more than happy to help. Take care:)

hey guys,

A great site that was recommended by a fellow SDN URM pre-dent.

Check it out:

www.blackdentaledge.com

post any other sites you think would be useful for us pre-dent URMS as well
: )

Hi

Thanks
A07

You sound like me, minus the BS and MS :)
I went back to school to take my pre-dental requirements and I plan to take the DAT this August.

Audio learn for the Sciences sounds great.
Where did you get it?

Audio learn for the Sciences sounds great.
Where did you get it?

I didnt buy it yet but Im also thinkin about taking the DAT in July/August. Audiolearn.net is the website. Im thinking about getting it in the next few weeks, so when I get it i will let you know how it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
been on here for a while and i applied last year....going to baylor in the fall... if you have any questions, feel free to p.m. me

I'm repping California and I am currently pursuing a master's in biological sciences. In undergrad, I double majored in bio sci and psych. I also have yet to take my DATs but I'm aiming for 30s when the time comes :D I am going to be applying broadly: the California schools, Temple, Howard, the Arizona schools, Columbia, Maryland, and other east cost schools. I really want to attend a school in a really urban area because of the patient populations there. How about you?

i would apply to umdnj... i met alot of the black students there and had a very nice experience... i was also an out of state applicant and was invited on the second day of interviews

i would apply to umdnj... i met alot of the black students there and had a very nice experience... i was also an out of state applicant and was invited on the second day of interviews

Cool. That school has been on my list, but I didn't know too much about it. :thumbup:

This is my very first post on SDN! I'm a senior pre-physical therapy major at howard university in Washington, DC. Still very wet behind the ears and intimidated by the whole dental school process. I hope to apply and begin in Fall 2009. I have not taken the DAT yet or done any research! I hope to get a research training position at NIH (National Institute of Health) Dental and Craniofacial research lab and work there during my gap year. NYU also has a one year certificate program in Clinical Research that I'm looking into. But more importantly I still have to take, Organic Chemistry II, Microbiology and Bio II. I may take Biochemistry too just to beef me up a bit.

Is it normal to apply with a bunch of prerequisites still in process?

Hi, pre-dent from Miami. I already applied to two schools.. just waiting to hear from them :scared:. So great to finally have a group for us!

hey guys,

this is exciting!!!!

Hey i'm also a black caribbean female, I actually got into UCONN and UMDNJ with scholarship full and part respectively. I have recently come to a final decision to attend UMDNJ this fall.
Good luck I wish u all the best.

DRprettysmile, which school did u apply to?

I appiled to Meharry and Howard. Just attended interview at Meharry last week.

Hey i'm also a black caribbean female, I actually got into UCONN and UMDNJ with scholarship full and part respectively. I have recently come to a final decision to attend UMDNJ this fall.

thanks JA chica! One love.

just wondering, did UMDNJ give a scholarship offer with your admissions letter? or did it come later?

It's almost that time everyone! May 15th is only a couple days away. I'm so nervous about everything. Who's all applying?

I am reapplying this year while I am in a Masters program... I hope I get in!

I am reapplying this year while I am in a Masters program... I hope I get in!

I'm in a master's program too, but this will be my first time applying. I really hope this will be my only time applying. At this point all I can do is pray...Good luck!

Thanks, I-Baby.. I hope everything work out for me too.I hope your dreams will come true as well. Hey, we should start a facebook group.. just to encourage one another and to share important information.

What up everybody....cool to c a group for minorities. Just wanted to shout out and show love for the 956 dirty South Texas. Good luck to everybody applyin and hola back show ur city love

BUMP! Any other URM predents? I have 5 interviews so far, and am sort of surprised, but not complaining. Anyone else have interviews this cycle? where?

BUMP! Any other URM predents? I have 5 interviews so far, and am sort of surprised, but not complaining. Anyone else have interviews this cycle? where?

Not yet. When did you submit and when were you complete?

I submitted May 31st and was complete shortly after because I wrote my dat last year. My apps were mailed out in early June.

I submitted May 31st and was complete shortly after because I wrote my dat last year. My apps were mailed out in early June.

Yeah you got it in there early. I didn't submit until July 17th and printouts mailed August 11th. I took my DAT on August 26th so I'm pretty much finishing up and sending out secondaries and fees. If you don't mind me asking, where will you be interviewing?

I'd be happy to go anywhere that takes me because I've wanted to be a dentist forever and it'd be awesome to finally make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
BUMP (Again) Any more interview invites? I got 2 more: NYU and Pitt, it's so lonely in this thread :(

I'm pretty much in the middle of a really long waiting game it appears :( There was a hold up with my DAT scores so some schools just got them last week. I'm praying about it and just trying to occupy myself. Luckily school will help with that...

Hi everyone. I'm an Africa American female from New Orleans. I've applied to LSU, Meharry, and Howard. My app is complete at all 3 schools, so now I'm just waiting, and waiting... and waiting! My chances at LSU are pretty slim due to my DAT scores, but I have to give it a go. Believe it or not but when I went to the school 2 weeks ago to turn in my application, there are only 4 black people in the whole 4 year program. 2 seniors, 1 sophomore, and 1 freshman. That's pitiful. It's discouraging.

Hi everyone. I'm an Africa American female from New Orleans. I've applied to LSU, Meharry, and Howard. My app is complete at all 3 schools, so now I'm just waiting, and waiting... and waiting! My chances at LSU are pretty slim due to my DAT scores, but I have to give it a go. Believe it or not but when I went to the school 2 weeks ago to turn in my application, there are only 4 black people in the whole 4 year program. 2 seniors, 1 sophomore, and 1 freshman. That's pitiful. It's discouraging.

Isn't the waiting driving you nuts!?!:scared: I don't think I've ever been so edge before lol...

About LSU...when I hear about things like that, it makes me want to be a dentist even more. I just see so much of an opportunity to educate and create more awareness. A lot of it is just a matter of exposure to the field. Do you know how many youngsters have told me that they never considered the field until I told them about it? Hopefully our generation of dentists can help change things to where what you saw is less of the norm.

Isn't the waiting driving you nuts!?!:scared: I don't think I've ever been so edge before lol...

About LSU...when I hear about things like that, it makes me want to be a dentist even more. I just see so much of an opportunity to educate and create more awareness. A lot of it is just a matter of exposure to the field. Do you know how many youngsters have told me that they never considered the field until I told them about it? Hopefully our generation of dentists can help change things to where what you saw is less of the norm.

Yeah the waiting is horrible! I just don't know what to say about Meharry. When u call in regards to ur app., they won't give any info. Yeah, I really hope I can use my status as a dentist to help my community. I never had any medical professionals make an impact on my life, mainly because they never visited the New Orleans inner city schools. I plan to change that. The situation with LSU is sad.

The waiting period is very nerve wracking:scared:, Meharry will take a long time to process everything...but if you applied early you should probably hear from them before the year is out. If you applied late (Oct-Dec) you will hear from them next year or maybe in December, depends. I applied late in November and received an interview in February... keep the faith!:luck:

The waiting period is very nerve wracking:scared:, Meharry will take a long time to process everything...but if you applied early you should probably hear from them before the year is out. If you applied late (Oct-Dec) you will hear from them next year or maybe in December, depends. I applied late in November and received an interview in February... keep the faith!:luck:

My AADSAS for Meharry was mailed june 30th, I turned in my secondary and photo in Aug, but they claimed they couldn't find my photo. I certified mailed it and it has been recieved so I have no clue what's going on. The lady on the phone is sometimes rude but she does take care of business. Everytime I call her about my app., she updates my status. Although...she might hate my guts lol! I think Howard has robbed me of my $45, and since we're in a recession that pisses me off LOL! I'll just wait because...well I have no choice. P.S. I spend my days as a clinical Ortho assistant with a dentist in N.O. He's a Meharry and Howard graduate. I'm consumed w/ bonding brackets and changing archwires. I love my job and I'll stay there as long as it takes. I really think I will lean towards Ortho because I love it.

Last edited:
That's cool LWDavis, I'm waiting on Howard too, haven't heard anything back from them. Doubt I'd be able to go to the interview though, flying everywhere is costing soooo much money :S

Bump! Apparently Howard has been giving out invites, any news guys?

Nope! I called last week to confirm that my app. was complete. It has been complete since Sept 17th. Now I wait! Just trying hard not to get discourged and start looking for alternate careers lol! I was scheduled to re-take the ACT yesterday for hygiene school, but I refuse to clean teeth for the rest of my life. So...I didn't go. I was advised by the only African American dentist on the admissions commitee at LSU to re-take the DAT and get a 19. I know can I do that if I quit my job and ship off my 3 kids for 2 months lol! Right now I have a 16/16/18. I'm just CONFUSED.:(

I think that he/she gave you good advice, 16/16/18 is below average for most dental schools, so getting at least 19 would probably do a lot for your application. I say study as best you can, even though it will be challenging with kids and work and kill the test. You can do it! How is the rest of your app if you don't mind me asking? Is this your first time applying?

I think that he/she gave you good advice, 16/16/18 is below average for most dental schools, so getting at least 19 would probably do a lot for your application. I say study as best you can, even though it will be challenging with kids and work and kill the test. You can do it! How is the rest of your app if you don't mind me asking? Is this your first time applying?
Yeah this is my first time. I think if I have to do this again, I will only apply to LSU. I'm debating on re-taking the test in Dec or taking a few classes in the spring and then taking it. I can use a class in Chem 101 and 102 to refresh my memory. I learn better in a class setting than by studying at home with my distractions. I'm weighing my options because I will have to stop working in order to take classes.