Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone not from CA that has interviewed been accepted? I interviewed back in December and have yet to hear anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone not from CA that has interviewed been accepted? I interviewed back in December and have yet to hear anything.

I was accepted and I live at least 50 miles away from CA. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Did you interview in HW or Las Vegas may I ask?

I interviewed in LA on Friday Jan 9th, and was accepted on Friday Jan 16th. I suggest that you contact Liz with regards to your status if you have not received any notification yet. I am from nor cal.

I interviewed in LA on Friday Jan 9th, and was accepted on Friday Jan 16th. I suggest that you contact Liz with regards to your status if you have not received any notification yet. I am from nor cal.

yes, I will try her after I get off work. its just peculiar that everyone that has been accepted is from CA or really close.

yes, I will try her after I get off work. its just peculiar that everyone that has been accepted is from CA or really close.

I'm from CA and I haven't gotten accepted yet. :(

Hi,
May I ask who you interviewed with? A man or a woman in LA? Thanks in advance and also can I ask for your stats. Thanks again.

I interviewed with Dr. Borris, but I was also introduced to Dr. Gundisch because she has done some research in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's with nAChR ligand binding, which is what I am interested in pursuing. My stats are not that great because UC Berkeley MCB basically killed my gpa. I took some classes after graduation at cc and cal state to improve my gpa to a 3.5. I think they liked my because I have a lot of extracurriculars. I co-authored some work in Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, I worked at UCSF pharmacy for a year and I also currently work as a medical assistant in the hospital so I do a lot of patient counseling/interaction. I have over 600 hrs in extracurricular work in various fields related to pharmacy. I think if you show them you are driven and this is what you really care about, it shows.

I don't think it's a coincidence, unless they strongly believe Californians are more likely to stick around Hawaii to work after graduation than people from other States.

Did anybody who interviewed in "Hilo" between Jan. 8-Jan.10 get accepted yet??? :confused::(

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's a coincidence, unless they strongly believe Californians are more likely to stick around Hawaii to work after graduation than people from other States.

yeah, that or Cali being so damn close to Hawaii.

Ok, just reading this makes even more nervous. Is there room for us Floridians? I hope so, because the further south I go the better it is:cool:... Hehe.... Maybe some of them will get into their First choice school.:xf:

Ok, just reading this makes even more nervous. Is there room for us Floridians? I hope so, because the further south I go the better it is:cool:... Hehe.... Maybe some of them will get into their First choice school.:xf:
Oh no, this is all speculation on my part. Ignore what I said earlier. :oops:

Since UHH is a public school and the only school in the State, I was just thinking out loud and the supplemental application just got me wondering.

Oh no, this is all speculation on my part. Ignore what I said earlier. :oops:

Since UHH is a public school and the only school in the State, I was just thinking out loud and the supplemental application just got me wondering.

Yeah but even with that speculation it makes a lot of sense. Why take in a plethora of students if they have no desire to take residence in Hawaii (or California I guess). I'm not sure what the statistics of pharmacist to pharmacies in Hawaii but with it being really hot, a secluded island, and having a very high cost of living you would think they would really want students who want to live there. But we shall see lol. oh and btw I wasnt really nervous I just exagerated a bit. It just got me to thinking is all. But I am stuck in this mode that I will not get in anywhere anyway.

I live in Arizona and I got accepted.

I live in Arizona and I got accepted.

I'm grouping you with the Cali people lol. Jk.
Ok thats good to know. Maybe I have a chance hehe. Are you gonna attend for sure or are you waiting for the another school? What were stats btw?... if you don't mind my asking. Repititve question, I know.....

Did anybody who interviewed in "Hilo" between Jan. 8-Jan.10 get accepted yet??? :confused::(

I haven't heard anything yet, so you are still save, for now..lol, by the way, did I meet you at the interview on the 10th, am not sure who you were.

By the way, does anyone know any statistical analysis on the number of people that are not from California, but were accepted into the program?

I'm grouping you with the Cali people lol. Jk.
Ok thats good to know. Maybe I have a chance hehe. Are you gonna attend for sure or are you waiting for the another school? What were stats btw?... if you don't mind my asking. Repititve question, I know.....

I am still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools. I will know for sure in March. My stats are not that great.
GPA: 3.6 with a BS in Biology
PCAT: 69
EC's: Volunteer work for hospital pharmacy and some AIDS organizations.
I worked as a pharmacy tech at CVS for about 4 months

I interviewed in Hilo in December. I really liked the school. The only thing bad about it is that it would cost a lot to move. But if that is the only school I get into, then I will just have to suck it up and move. Good luck to everyone. :) :luck:

I haven't heard anything yet, so you are still save, for now..lol, by the way, did I meet you at the interview on the 10th, am not sure who you were.

I wasn't sure who you were either. haha. I was the Asian chick wearing the black suit. I remembered I talked to one guy there and he was from California too. Where are u from? Anyway, I called Liz today and asked about my status. She said they're still reviewing the applications. iono.. it's not a good sign cuz I noticed people who interviewed in Jan. 8th and 9th got acceptances already...and Liz said that they usually review all applications together, doesn't matter the location you interviewed at. That's why I got worried. Probably waitlisted or rejected! :(

I am still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools. I will know for sure in March. My stats are not that great.
GPA: 3.6 with a BS in Biology
PCAT: 69
EC's: Volunteer work for hospital pharmacy and some AIDS organizations.
I worked as a pharmacy tech at CVS for about 4 months

I interviewed in Hilo in December. I really liked the school. The only thing bad about it is that it would cost a lot to move. But if that is the only school I get into, then I will just have to suck it up and move. Good luck to everyone. :) :luck:

I wish I had your GPA. Your stats are good to me. U have a B.S. a High GPA and great E.C. and Pharmacy Experience! Your PCAT isn't that bad. It still looks good with your other stats.

Sucks, but I keep going back to last years forum for hope. Many people from the waitlist got int.

I wish I had your GPA. Your stats are good to me. U have a B.S. a High GPA and great E.C. and Pharmacy Experience! Your PCAT isn't that bad. It still looks good with your other stats.

Thanks. It's just I have noticed many people on this forum having such amazing stats that I feel I don't stack up, especially not having many EC's. I also have a lot of W's due to extenuating circumstances so I was surprised they accepted me. Good luck. :luck: :luck:

I don't think that anyone on here should underestimate themselves. We are all different people with different stats. I really just feel like if you make a connection with your interviewer, you're in! My stats are not great at all, 3.2 gpa, 69 pcat, certified/registered pharm tech. I got in because I showed my interviewer that I am highly motivated and worth taking a chance on. I know it sucks to be waiting, but hard work and persistence pay off! good luck to all you guys who truly want to get accepted to this program. Hope to see you in the fall!

I wasn't sure who you were either. haha. I was the Asian chick wearing the black suit. I remembered I talked to one guy there and he was from California too. Where are u from? Anyway, I called Liz today and asked about my status. She said they're still reviewing the applications. iono.. it's not a good sign cuz I noticed people who interviewed in Jan. 8th and 9th got acceptances already...and Liz said that they usually review all applications together, doesn't matter the location you interviewed at. That's why I got worried. Probably waitlisted or rejected! :(

No way.. lol, I thought you were the other Asian guy I talked to wearing the suit. I was asking if anyone was on SDN and nobody said anything. I think they were afraid it will leave a bad impression. Anyway, don't worry I am sure you will get accepted, I mean, you have like 4 interviews so your stats must be really good. As for me, am not so sure. By the way, I was the black guy with the suit from New York city.

I would imagine waitlisted people would have a good chance of being accepted. Hawai'i is such a far destination to go to(and very expensive) and people most likely used it as a last resort.

I just received my alternative list letter. great times.

I just received my alternative list letter. great times.

I haven't received mine yet, but probably will receive one tomorrow or the day after. I thought it should take longer for you because you're from Kansas City?

I haven't received mine yet, but probably will receive one tomorrow or the day after. I thought it should take longer for you because you're from Kansas City?

it was sent via email.

Is it a ranked alternate list?

I still haven't heard back from them yet.

it's unranked, so I'm not certain how it works. when did you interview?

I applied in November and have yet to hear anything from Hilo

Hooray, alternate list for me also :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:, I wonder if anybody from the Vegas interview that day with Dr. G got in, I know I had a rough interview trying to "connect" with her.

You apply anywhere else fugm?

Hooray, alternate list for me also :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:, I wonder if anybody from the Vegas interview that day with Dr. G got in, I know I had a rough interview trying to "connect" with her.

Maybe she was having a bad day because you weren't the first person to make that comment about not being able to connect with her. After reading comments about her on here, I totally expected her to be like this one guy from one of my job interviews but she was no where close to being anything like that guy.

Maybe she was having a bad day because you weren't the first person to make that comment about not being able to connect with her. After reading comments about her on here, I totally expected her to be like this one guy from one of my job interviews but she was no where close to being anything like that guy.

Yea, not the best interview ever, actually probably my worst this cycle but it happens. I am most likely gonna withdraw myself from the alternate list.

Congratz to everybody that got their letters though :thumbup:

I'm right here with you thesteve1....

Dec 5th...Dr. G.....alternated listed....

I received the alternate list email today as well.

Last edited:
*sigh* Alternate List here also! At least I didn't have to wait 5 weeks to find out about this waitlisting. This is just sad!!! I think I got waitlisted at all schools I interviewed at! :(

Last edited:

wild thing is that I thought I 'connected' with her. my fn interview lasted 45 min! anyway, alternative list is good, congrats to everyone. as for other schools, I applied to a lot. I interviewed at neoucop last week and interview at charleston next week. how about you? did you hear from lipscomb?

wild thing is that I thought I 'connected' with her. my fn interview lasted 45 min! anyway, alternative list is good, congrats to everyone. as for other schools, I applied to a lot. I interviewed at neoucop last week and interview at charleston next week. how about you? did you hear from lipscomb?

Nothing back from Lipscomb, but judging from the crazy number of people getting accepted in the lipscomb thread, I'm probably not gonna be one of them. But luckily I got into Notre Dame :thumbup: so at least I know I'm going somewhere. Got 2 interviews in my homestate coming up though...

Wow, so looks like 0/3 on the vegas day that I met you guys at...maybe sin city was distracting us haha

Good luck on your other interviews fugm

Wow, I have not heard anything from them besides the fact that they got my application and supp back on the 9th... Guess I'll be joining the wait-listed soon.

Yea, I got my alternate list letter via email today also.

i know this is something i should know but what does it mean to get wait listed? i'm very interested in this school and understand that there's a rolling application...so if you're qualified, get the interview but the spots are filled you get wait listed? what's this alternate deal? i'm so confused.

i know this is something i should know but what does it mean to get wait listed? i'm very interested in this school and understand that there's a rolling application...so if you're qualified, get the interview but the spots are filled you get wait listed? what's this alternate deal? i'm so confused.
The admissions committee will continue to meet to discuss admissions after all the interviews are finished to see if they need to pull names off the alternate list to fill the remaining seats. I expect a lot of people to pay their deposit and then withdraw their acceptances once they get into their top choice (unless UH-Hilo was their top choice) based on last year's UH-Hilo thread. I also know that while they've designated 50% of the seats to HI residents, if they don't get enough qualified HI residents to fill those seats, they'll offer it to out-of-staters most likely off of the alternate list.

With all that in mind, I wouldn't lose hope. I mean, most of you guys have interviews lined up all throughout January and February so I'm sure you all will get in somewhere. :)

well it means they can accept or reject you at anytime depending on how many accepted students plan to attend the P1 class. It also means they don't have enough spot for everyone who is qualified, as a result they need a backup plan to keep some people on the "alternate list" to ensure that they have applicants that they can choose from if some students decline the school.

I got an alternate list letter, i guess we are all in this together.