any good books..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
saffronrain said:
...wait random question... are alllll you people posting on this india forum, ..actually IN india? i know some are in canada.. but.. the rest of you...?
Some of us are from the US as well. I'm from California :D

Members don't see this ad.

saffronrain said:
thanks to those of you who made the term "NRI" clear.
as for drgarfield's comment- just to let you know, i'm obviously not as smart as you. plus i don't associate with indians 24/7. i'm a bit white-washed. so please, spare me.

Didn´t mean to hurt you buddy- I just thought you are joking in asking that!!

saffronrain said:
thanks to those of you who made the term "NRI" clear.
as for drgarfield's comment- just to let you know, i'm obviously not as smart as you. plus i don't associate with indians 24/7. i'm a bit white-washed. so please, spare me.

Hey , just chill

Your avatar is beautiful - makes up for everything :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
ya- Chill yar- there is nothing Smart about knowing a abbreviation or so- i just felt You are pulling legs!
Anyways- despite bein whitewashed- the Aum Avtar and the name- Saffron Rain suggests a lot! :)

hahaha.. hmm... okay. word.. you think the name "SaffronRain" is really "Indianish"? How so..? I just think this is interesting.. I made it up out of nowhere! :)

saffronrain said:
hahaha.. hmm... okay. word.. you think the name "SaffronRain" is really "Indianish"? How so..? I just think this is interesting.. I made it up out of nowhere! :)
Saffron is one of the colours of Indian National Flag..........Stands for revolution.
Its like...."Maee Mera Rang de Basanti Chola" by Bhagat Singh for Indian Indepenence...

saffronrain said:
Not only is it associated with the Indian flag, but if you look at most fo the religions in India (specifically Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist), saffron is an important colour in the religious garb (never thought I'd use the word 'garb' :laugh:) .

saffronrain said:

Ya- Saffron is the Top colour of the national flag,
It is the colour of Sacrifice- for nation or for religion!
It´s the colour of hinduism, and sikh religion and buddhism too!
It´s also the colour of BJP- one of the political parties- but that is not that important! I hate them all!

Oh my GOD. Maybe I am subconsciously conscious of being Indian/Hindu... if that makes ANY sense whatsoever. WOW. That's COOL. :D :laugh:
And yeah I don't like any of the political parties in India either. I just think Indians suck at running things, esp. the government. ... er... maybe I'm generalizing...

saffronrain said:
Oh my GOD. Maybe I am subconsciously conscious of being Indian/Hindu... if that makes ANY sense whatsoever. WOW. That's COOL. :D :laugh:
And yeah I don't like any of the political parties in India either. I just think Indians suck at running things, esp. the government. ... er... maybe I'm generalizing...

Well, Indians excel at the Business managements- you can find that out all across the world!! But with the Government, yes- i dont think india has ever had an efficient government after the freedom! only few boughts of sparkles somewhere- but in general India is developing because the Capitalist mindset of people and individual efforts- not a itsy witsy tweeie weenie bit by the Government effort!!

And yes- about you- Subconscious may play a part!! ha ha :thumbup:

Just finished reading Collapse by Jared Diamond and Fermat's Last Thereom by Simon Singh. these are really nice books and I would recommed them especially collapse for a light intellectual reading.

Anybody has any suggestions for good non fiction boooks????

I recently read "Maximum city - Bombay lost and found" by suketu mehta. Must read for every mumbaikar!!!!! :thumbup:

allergic2morons said:
Just finished reading Collapse by Jared Diamond and Fermat's Last Thereom by Simon Singh. these are really nice books and I would recommed them especially collapse for a light intellectual reading.

did finish the one- Road Ahead by Bill Gates? IT´s interesting to find out that tall that he predicted to come in that book has already arrived here

Members don't see this ad :)
shardul said:
I recently read "Maximum city - Bombay lost and found" by suketu mehta. Must read for every mumbaikar!!!!! :thumbup:
yeah i have heard a lot about the book. I hope somebody would lend me that book since I am total kadka now and BMC driving out street book vendors of fort has only added to my miseries...... :(

hey shardul have read Shantaram by robert gregory?????? its a nice book. I was there at Crossword when robert grgory talked about his book!

DrGarfield said:
did finish the one- Road Ahead by Bill Gates? IT´s interesting to find out that tall that he predicted to come in that book has already arrived here

Would have loved it read if the things he predicted have not yet came out!!!!! :p anyway i am not a gr8 fan of microsoft.

i just finished "The Last Song of Dusk" by Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi- excellent book!!!! Really well written and you don't feel like putting it down. Plus the author is kinda cute.... :oops: :laugh:

allergic2morons said:

"The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston is AMAZING...but maybe you've read it?

saffronrain said:
i just finished "The Last Song of Dusk" by Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi- excellent book!!!! Really well written and you don't feel like putting it down. Plus the author is kinda cute.... :oops: :laugh:

ohh really!!!!!! I didnt pick his book all these days becoz the way he marketed his image and book in media put me off..... Anyway i dont go on the looks of writer while picking up the book

Anyone read Salman Rushdie's "The Satanic Verses"? I have yet to pick up this book, it's sitting beside me right now... but I don't got the courage ot open it right now (ITS AMAZING OUTSIDE!!!....but I gotta go to the hospital to volunteer :( )

allergic2morons said:
ohh really!!!!!! I didnt pick his book all these days becoz the way he marketed his image and book in media put me off..... Anyway i dont go on the looks of writer while picking up the book

hahaha i don't go by looks either, but i just happened to start reading the book, and i'm like 'wow this is really good stuff' and so i read the about the author part and he just happened to be pretty cute. thats all. hahaha

hmmmmmn...... swetha!the name of the author sounds familiar,is'nt it?it reminds me of somebody!r u trying 2 convey a message to someone.......???? ;) :laugh: :smuggrin: QUOTE=saffronrain]i just finished "The Last Song of Dusk" by Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi- excellent book!!!! Really well written and you don't feel like putting it down. Plus the author is kinda cute.... :oops: :laugh:[/QUOTE]

prady said:
hmmmmmn...... swetha!the name of the author sounds familiar,is'nt it?it reminds me of somebody!r u trying 2 convey a message to someone.......???? ;) :laugh: :smuggrin: QUOTE=saffronrain]i just finished "The Last Song of Dusk" by Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi- excellent book!!!! Really well written and you don't feel like putting it down. Plus the author is kinda cute.... :oops: :laugh:
[/QUOTE]

hahahaha :laugh: you never know ;)

yeah!tell me about it! ;) hope that person....we r talking abt.....is listening....! :laugh:
hahahaha :laugh: you never know ;)[/QUOTE]

Non fiction

Silicon Valley Greats - excellent book , I haven't read it though. Should be worth it.

prady said:
yeah!tell me about it! ;) hope that person....we r talking abt.....is listening....! :laugh:
looks like "he" missed it :eek:

allergic2morons said:
Would have loved it read if the things he predicted have not yet came out!!!!! :p anyway i am not a gr8 fan of microsoft.

Oh, am i talkin to an Applemaniac? anyways- the book does go a lot about Gate's own life too- so may be it also gets boring a little. But otherwise it's about general evolution of computers and the future to expect- most of which is already here as i alreadly said and u already refuted!

rxgal8 said:
looks like "he" missed it :eek:

Now I do, only if Sarika finds it appropriate. :love:
Sorry if I am dampening all the intellectual fire burning in this thread

Premedtomed said:

;) ;) :p

Premedtomed said:
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
v​
saffronrain said:
:eek: :laugh:

^^ eesh.. :rolleyes:

well, now that the movie is over, i could use a vacation. :D

saffronrain said:
^^ eesh.. :rolleyes:

well, now that the movie is over, i could use a vacation. :D

Go for it

Listen to Ska - it's fun ( I am yanking it up here :D )

You must read Lord of the Rings. The movie is nothing compared to the detailed book.. You will surely feel different when you read it.

allergic2morons said:
yeah i have heard a lot about the book. I hope somebody would lend me that book since I am total kadka now and BMC driving out street book vendors of fort has only added to my miseries...... :(

:D :D :D Hey u can always do loads of freeloading if u r broke! Mumbai always offer lots of avenues for freeloading. want an advice pm me!!!! :)

Hey and 4u buddy i'll be dedicating this song "phatela jeb sil jaayega" tomorrow on go 92.5 fm college radio request hour so be on air.

Yes i have heard about "shantaram". U know soon there is going to be a movie on this book starring johnny depp. apparently there was competition between depp and russell crowe for the role. Anyway i like both actors :thumbup:

I am looking forward to da vinci code movie! have u read that book

Hey i have a non fiction reccomendation 4 u its called Freakonomics- its intersting to read how boook describes the consequences of india's notoriety for female foeticides.

Btw bill gates is writting another book sureluy dont want me to name it! :laugh:

144 said:
You must read Lord of the Rings. The movie is nothing compared to the detailed book.. You will surely feel different when you read it.

yeah it is said that whole english speakig world is divided into those who have read LOTR and those who havent

I also read the hobbit :thumbup:

shardul said:
:D :D :D Hey u can always do loads of freeloading if u r broke! Mumbai always offer lots of avenues for freeloading. want an advice pm me!!!! :)

Hey and 4u buddy i'll be dedicating this song "phatela jeb sil jaayega" tomorrow on go 92.5 fm college radio request hour so be on air.

Yes i have heard about "shantaram". U know soon there is going to be a movie on this book starring johnny depp. apparently there was competition between depp and russell crowe for the role. Anyway i like both actors :thumbup:

Hey i have a non fiction reccomendation 4 u its called Freakonomics- its intersting to read how boook describes the consequences of india's notoriety for female foeticides.

Btw bill gates is writting another book sureluy dont want me to name it! :laugh:

i hate how ppl make movies out of books. it sucks.. like it totally ruins the picture i have in my mind. a few movies that have not disappointed me yet are all the harry potter ones. i'm afraid that 'the davinci code' might get a little exaggerated... but who knows, it'll probably turn out pretty good. does anyone know if the author himself (dan brown) is going to help produce the movie?

saffronrain said:
i'm afraid that 'the davinci code' might get a little exaggerated... but who knows, it'll probably turn out pretty good. does anyone know if the author himself (dan brown) is going to help produce the movie?
i think the movie will come out sometime next year but i heard that tom hanks is starring it :thumbdown: i wish it was george clooney, he would fit langdon's character better. but oh well.....hopefully the author is helping to produce it. but nevertheless, i want to see it. i'm going to read the book again before the movie's released.

i read angels and demons, but still liked da vinci code better. maybe that's because i read da vinci code first but wow....a great book for feminists :D and of course adds to your general knowledge on art, christianity, etc.

144 said:
what does this 144 stand for. R u by any chance born on 12 december or does it have any secret meaning like "143"?

good thinking!btw, what does 143 signify?
allergic2morons said:
what does this 144 stand for. R u by any chance born on 12 december or does it have any secret meaning like "143"?

shardul said:

frreeloading !!!!!!!! who doesnt love it! i am all ears!!!!!!! tell me. But dont tell me to go to a bookshop sit thaere and read whole day. I cant do that coz i love reading book while lying on couch, booksops surely dont have couches!!!!!1 :p
I would have liked it if russell crowe was selected for that role. I'm his fan ever since he did that gladiator role. :love:
who havent read da vinci code? i also read angels and demons it was totally crap!
"freakonomics" havent heard about it :confused:

I'll tune to 92.5 i love that song :p thanks

prady said:
143= i love you.

1= I
4= L-O-V-E
3= Y-O-U

prady said:
what your gf never told u this..........ask her.....

allergic2morons said:
frreeloading !!!!!!!! who doesnt love it! i am all ears!!!!!!! tell me. But dont tell me to go to a bookshop sit thaere and read whole day. I cant do that coz i love reading book while lying on couch, booksops surely dont have couches!!!!!1 :p
:laugh:
"freakonomics" havent heard about it :confused:
its written by two economist Steven D. Levitt and stephen Dubner. Nice book!
Hey have heard about movie called matrubhoomi starring tulip joshi?