any good books..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saffronrain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

just wondering if any of you had suggestions for books worth reading..? right now i'm reading "the hot zone" and it's SO SO SOOO good. i cannot emphasize how good it is. :D but after this, i'd like to read some more books, and i'm not sure what people would recommend...?

let me know!!
i'm a bookaholic.. i need rehab. :oops:

~S~

Members don't see this ad.

Read Complications By Atul Gawande

I started a thread on Indian authors. But I've been hearing good things about the novel: Curious Incedent of the Dog in the Night, By David Rands. You should also look up "The HItchhiker's Guide to the Universe". A movie is supposed ot come out on this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
coolness, thanks guys!

ASDIC said:
Read Complications By Atul Gawande

I haven't read "complications" yet but i have read his "Dispatch from India" in NEJM it was a good one. I'm looking frorward to read more of this author.

some of the Tom Clancy books are hella good..if ur into that sort of thing. Also..anything by William Sutcliffe...is freaking hillarious; read "Are you experienced?" ..its about this dude who's tryin to hook up with his best friend's gf..and then end up backpacking together through india....Of course there is always "The Da Vinci Code". Indian authors..i haven't read anything..but i should start, lol.

'the da vinci code'- i love that book. also 'angels and demons' is great.
the problem is, i've read many a good book that's out there, so i'm at quite a loss..
as for indian authors, the only books i've read are: 'a fine balance' (and a few others by rohinton mistry) and 'interpreter of maladies'. oh, and 'born confused.' <-- that was the dumbest book ever.

oh, and in accordance with the above user's avatar- i like the om!

Yeah, what's up with everyone using the om? :D Nice representing though

hahaha i dont know.. we have a right to because we're indian/hindu.. but i just hate it when others use it.. like i saw a pic of christina aguilera wearing a necklace that had the Om symbol on it. if you don't know what it means or symbolizes, don't display it.

^ I don't like that either. When people use it or wear it, as some sort of "coolness" factor. I also hate it when people use words like karma, dharma, or chakra when they don't even know the context or the meaning of the terms (mailny the media). It's like these words have become apart of some artsy-culture that it makes me laugh.

i just read "the life of pi" and thought it was good. also, "the time travellers wife" is very interesting. i also read "kite runner" and it was a sad book, but i didn't think it was all it was made out to be. (the flights were long to greece, so i read a ton).

a really really great book is the "Stories of Eva Luna" by Isabel Allende. it is a collection of short stories, and some of the stories are so well written. they leave an intense impression even though they are just 2 or 3 pages long. she is an amazing writer.

im a bookaholic too :oops: :D

^ Welcomeback arti, we wanna see some pitchas of greece yo! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
^ Welcomeback arti, we wanna see some pitchas of greece yo! :D

hey sunny!
here is one of my favorites :D

Attachments

• Greece0022.JPG
    Greece0022.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 92
Very nice indeed!! Looked like it was beautiful weather over there.

[Napolean Dynamite]Luckyyyyy[/Napolean Dynamite] :laugh:

saffronrain said:
'the da vinci code'- i love that book. also 'angels and demons' is great.
the problem is, i've read many a good book that's out there, so i'm at quite a loss..
as for indian authors, the only books i've read are: 'a fine balance' (and a few others by rohinton mistry) and 'interpreter of maladies'. oh, and 'born confused.' <-- that was the dumbest book ever.

oh, and in accordance with the above user's avatar- i like the om!

How about reading me? :love:

j/k :laugh:

Read "Hitchhiker's guide to Galaxy" pretty funny (sorry Spring Fever is on)

hahaha why not? ;)

jay kay :D (yeah i'm a dork like that)

I've heard "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is pretty good.. I'll check that out.
And yeah as "1hotaartichoke" said, "Life of Pi" is a good read. There are so many awesome books out there...
um yeah not much to say... I've got a huuge lab report to write up aaand a bio exam to study for. Therefore, I'm putting the "pro" in "procrastination." ;)

PS- greenday is the best.

Procrastination makes me dreamy. I start thinking of nonsense (like what kind of options I would get in a car, parts I wanna get for my computer, movies I wanna see,..... damn, you got me going now!!). :laugh:

yeah procrastination is contagious huh? i've got it again. ugh.. i wish we could get paid for procrastinating. i'd be so good at that! :D

1hotaartichoke said:
i also read "kite runner" and it was a sad book, but i didn't think it was all it was made out to be. (the flights were long to greece, so i read a ton)

wow it's been a while since i've been to india forum. but i totally agree with aarti. i read "the kite runner" and it was a sad book plus i didn't like the narrator's character. the only thing i got out of that book was the info about afghans and historical stuff. the book definitely didn't live up to all the hype, IMO.

sunny123 said:
^ I don't like that either. When people use it or wear it, as some sort of "coolness" factor. I also hate it when people use words like karma, dharma, or chakra when they don't even know the context or the meaning of the terms (mailny the media). It's like these words have become apart of some artsy-culture that it makes me laugh.
Hey Sunny,
Have u seen this movie Guru......weird ..but true.......

^ Yep I saw the movie (without the parental units in the room :laugh: ). It was sorta funny and yes, weird :D .

:confused: what are you guys talking about? hahaha ...uhh... haha i'm so confused... one person says "beautiful..." and the another asks if someone's seen 'the guru'.. (is that a good movie, by the way?)..

why. am. i. so. confused. :laugh: :confused:

try some old ones-
have you tried Sherlock Holmes?
I just finished reading Le Misereables of Victor Hugo and now i am on Robinson Cruisoe by Daniel Dafoe- I liked the Misereables!

sunny123 said:
^ Just for ya:

guruthe2.jpg

i can't see it... what was it? the link won't work either. is it a poster of 'the guru'? i'm so lost... haha :laugh:

saffronrain said:
i can't see it... what was it? the link won't work either. is it a poster of 'the guru'? i'm so lost... haha :laugh:
the beautiful was in reference of a pic from my vacation of greece(the beaches were beautiful; see pg :D )

back to books though. another well written but perverse book is Lolita, by Vladimir Nabakov. when he is talking about his attraction to the little girl, it is so well written that you sometimes don't even realize how disgusting the whole fact of his attraction is. i think its a must read as well.

oh boy- don´t speak about that one! Lolita is a masterpiece of literature if you want to take it that way- and other way it is such a pervert!!!! :thumbdown:

DrGarfield said:
oh boy- don´t speak about that one! Lolita is a masterpiece of literature if you want to take it that way- and other way it is such a pervert!!!! :thumbdown:
yeah,
at the end of the book i was amazed at how well it was written, but so disgusted with what the book is about.

try The Godfather by Mario Püzo!
It can actually teach you a couple of things about living the life! With pride and with Friends!

have you read Memnoch the Devil, by anne rice? it is one of the vampire series. it deal with lestat (the main vamp) meeting the devil, and how the devil tells him that what we know about religion isn't how the story goes. and then he goes thru all of the bible with lestat and shows him about how god isn't necessarily good and the devil bad. im not a big fan of religious books, but this one was just amazing.

:confused: I have never heard about that!!!! I had read Dracula a long time ago though!!
1hotaartichoke said:
have you read Memnoch the Devil, by anne rice? it is one of the vampire series. it deal with lestat (the main vamp) meeting the devil, and how the devil tells him that what we know about religion isn't how the story goes. and then he goes thru all of the bible with lestat and shows him about how god isn't necessarily good and the devil bad. im not a big fan of religious books, but this one was just amazing.

DrGarfield said:
:confused: I have never heard about that!!!! I had read Dracula a long time ago though!!
read it, it is definitley worth it.

saffronrain said:
:confused: what are you guys talking about? hahaha ...uhh... haha i'm so confused... one person says "beautiful..." and the another asks if someone's seen 'the guru'.. (is that a good movie, by the way?)..

why. am. i. so. confused. :laugh: :confused:
Yeah, it was a poster of the movie. I dunno why it got taken off though :~

I highly doubt anyone here reads William Shatner, but if you do, then you know what a great writer he is.

DrGarfield said:
Its the most erotic book ever written..

DrGarfield said:
try The Godfather by Mario Püzo!
It can actually teach you a couple of things about living the life! With pride and with Friends!
This book taught me a lot about family values...a must read.....

meetlife said:
This book taught me a lot about family values...a must read.....

Ya- if one can live a life like Don Corleone- i don´t say about Mafia- but about making and using friends- one should be in no trouble in the life!
I love his dialogue- 'I´m gonna make you an offer you can´t refuse!´

ah.. now i get it. thanks for all the clarification :D

is anyone a big fan of charles dickens? a lot of people find his works hard to read/understand, but i absolutely love it. david copperfield, a christmas carol, and great expectations are the best. what do you guys think of "olden day" authors like him? :)

saffronrain said:
ah.. now i get it. thanks for all the clarification :D

is anyone a big fan of charles dickens? a lot of people find his works hard to read/understand, but i absolutely love it. david copperfield, a christmas carol, and great expectations are the best. what do you guys think of "olden day" authors like him? :)

Ya- I have read the David Copperfield- but not the others! I actually am reading mostly old writers´stuff! the last ones i read were

Arthur Conan Doyle´s Sherlock Holmes- Omnibus- all of it!!
Agatha Christie´s Hercule Poirot-- many of them
Daniel Defoe´s Robinson Cruisoe(The FIRST novel of English Literature ever!!or among the firsts!! :rolleyes: )
Victor Hugo´s Les Misereables

cool! yeah i actually want to see the broadway play of 'les misereables'.. forget reading it. hahaha, but i'm sure the book is great.
i've heard of all those novels, but i haven't read a single one. i really do think i'm missing out, considering they're thought to be some of the best authors!

...wait random question... are alllll you people posting on this india forum, ..actually IN india? i know some are in canada.. but.. the rest of you...?

saffronrain said:
cool! yeah i actually want to see the broadway play of 'les misereables'.. forget reading it. hahaha, but i'm sure the book is great.
i've heard of all those novels, but i haven't read a single one. i really do think i'm missing out, considering they're thought to be some of the best authors!

...wait random question... are alllll you people posting on this india forum, ..actually IN india? i know some are in canada.. but.. the rest of you...?

I think most are NRIs!
I am usually in India- but these days i am in Germany- till May!!

DrGarfield said:
I think most are NRIs!
I am usually in India- but these days i am in Germany- till May!!

Um...what's an NRI?... is it like FOB? so totally clueless.... :confused: :oops:

saffronrain said:
Um...what's an NRI?... is it like FOB? so totally clueless.... :confused: :oops:
NRI= non resident indian

aka an indian living outside india

1hotaartichoke said:
NRI= non resident indian

aka an indian living outside india

oo.. thank you!! :)

:confused:
saffronrain said:

:confused: I don´t believe this!! :confused: :eek:

saffronrain said:

NRI means NON RESIDENT INDIAN
but many people interpret it as " NON RELIABLE INDIAN" :laugh: :laugh:

thanks to those of you who made the term "NRI" clear.
as for drgarfield's comment- just to let you know, i'm obviously not as smart as you. plus i don't associate with indians 24/7. i'm a bit white-washed. so please, spare me.