Any Ghanaian, Nigerian or West African Here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lotanna said:
@Nflow, whats up!! its been a while, hope everything is ok. My 1st semester in med schl kicked my behind, worse than any koboko, but it taught me a lot :)

Hi Lotanna,

Long time. Yeah 1st semester was rough, took a lot of adjusting to. I hope this semester will be better, and that I actually work on being a better student :D

Thanks for those posts girl, and good luck in school.

Members don't see this ad.

chomy said:
HI NFLOW,whats up?actually graduated from uniben.are you in medical line,are u thru with college?well am really getting ready for my next exam soon which was why i did not visit the site for quite sometime,sorry it took a while to get back to you.why not write thru my e mail or drop yrs for me so we could talk a little bit more often.it could be boring attimes here u know.
compliments of the eason to u and evry great guys and ladies in this forum.I am so sure we will make it sooner than we thought.
cheers guys
chomy

Hi,

I don't have your email, so I PMed you instead.
Happy Newyear

i have to rep Liberia to the fullest...burn in Monrovia Liberia...my dad currently is an investment banker in Nigeria though..props to my Nigerians!

Members don't see this ad :)
lotanna said:
u might be able to help more people as a doctor than u think. After my recent med mission trip to Naija, even with all my so called knowledge about the lack of adequate healthcare, I found out its even worse. People in the smaller villages and towns are really lacking big time.
What kind of politician would u like to be? The Minister of Petroleum spot has been vacant for a while, but the prez is keepin to himself :D

Whats up though, its been a min, hope dental schl is treating u ok. U getting ready for Part I?

@Nflow, whats up!! its been a while, hope everything is ok. My 1st semester in med schl kicked my behind, worse than any koboko, but it taught me a lot :)

@everyone else, keep on keeping on.
To unify all on the board, check out this video of Nigerian singer Tony Tetuila and Ghanaian singer Tic Tac with their collabo called Fen fen na efe. It was/is top of charts in both countries...Enjoy :)

http://www.aittv.com/vod2.asp?articleid=16&zoneid=1

Also this other video goes out to all my African sistahs, we are really queens! I love this song!
http://www.aittv.com/vod2.asp?articleid=33&zoneid=1

great links
thanx

Looks like naija got this thread on lock so just representing Liberia. Future doctor to be Class of 2009, school undecided. Still interviewing and waiting.

olw7 said:
Looks like naija got this thread on lock so just representing Liberia. Future doctor to be Class of 2009, school undecided. Still interviewing and waiting.

Good Luck :)

Na wa for you all o, sdn coupe. This thread is really cool. From Naija as well. Maybe some had already figured maybe not. Will be at KU SOM fall 2005, yeah baby!

olw7 said:

From the land of the Pepper Bird I see, much love to my Liberian brethrens, when I lived in the Ivory Coast, I had mad Liberian friends, went to a Liberian church, youth group was 80% Liberian...the whole nine, knew some of the members of the soccer team personally. In my best Liberian accent I say "I beg u man" :D

Hi Guys,
I am from central africa and i am looking for study partner in Atlanta and area.
Please contact me. :)

MlleM?decin said:
No, I'm currently not in Africa, I'm a Medical school in the US.
this is to acknowledge the reciept of ur mail, thanks for those words of encouragement.
in ur mail u said u are a medical student in USA, pls can u give me detail information on how to apply to the school as an international student from Nigeria.
pls i will be anticipating ur reply
thanks
ochem chidi

Lucyojayme said:
hi chidi,
i suppose biochemistry is a four year course at Delsu. Why must you go to the UK or the US before studying Med. But if you insist,You could try Liverpool University's website in the uk.I think they have a scholarship programme.
Don't you have Medicine and surgery at Delsu? I still think it is better to study Med in Nig. since you do not have anybody over there. It might be a little strenous starting life again.
Best of luck though. : :oops:

sequel to ur comment, i agree with u that studing medicine in uk or USA might be strenous but i think that is the right place to have quality education.
faculty of medicine in Delta state university has not been accredited and as such, one cannot be allowed to write MBBS examination.moreover medicine today has gone molecular (genetic) . before one can be fully grouded in medicine one need to know more about molecular medicine. and the equipment to archive that is not available in Nigeria,
and i want to do exp[loit in medical profession
. this is the reason i need to study medicine in a developed country. thanks.
pls do help me to achieve this dream.
cos i want o transform the medical profession for good health. thanks
ochem chidi

ochem chidi n said:
sequel to ur comment, i agree with u that studing medicine in uk or USA might be strenous but i think that is the right place to have quality education.
faculty of medicine in Delta state university has not been accredited and as such, one cannot be allowed to write MBBS examination.moreover medicine today has gone molecular (genetic) . before one can be fully grouded in medicine one need to know more about molecular medicine. and the equipment to archive that is not available in Nigeria,
and i want to do exp[loit in medical profession
. this is the reason i need to study medicine in a developed country. thanks.
pls do help me to achieve this dream.
cos i want o transform the medical profession for good health. thanks
ochem chidi

Hi,
After being here for what seems like forever, it seems pretty refreshing to hear the words DELSU. I grew up in Benin and went to Uniben for a year. However, attending med sch. in America might be tricky. First if you are not a Citizen or don't have a green card, most schools won't look at your application. The ones that do might want you to have some money in escrow (like Johns hopkins = $175,000). It is a very expensive undertaking, but if I were to do it over again, I would do med. in Nigeria, tough as it might be, and then take the USMLE exams and apply for a residency in the US. I'm not too sure about the procedure in the UK, but basically you have to have a lot, I really mean a lot of dough before you can become a doctor in the US. I have been there and done that so I'm talking from experience. I hope everything goes well for you.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
this is to acknowlegde the receipt of ur coment and advice, pls i would want to know if there are other alternatives, as in studing any medical related course and latter medicine.
pls do reply me with the neccessary information thanks
ochem chidi

Hey guys, I am a qualified pharmacist in the UK relocating to the states soon wondered if there were any qualified nigerian pharmacists willing to share their experiences.....

ochem chidi n said:
this is to acknowlegde the receipt of ur coment and advice, pls i would want to know if there are other alternatives, as in studing any medical related course and latter medicine.
ochem chidi

It all depends on your status (i.e citizen, green card etc). If not, you better have a lot of $$$ regardless of what you want to do. There are a few schools that give foreign students scholarships. Here in Maryland, Morgan state University does help a lot. It also depends on if you already have a bachelor's degree. Most schools offer PhD. programs in the sciences with free tuition and a generous stipend. Also, you can do nursing, get a green card and then go to med. school. Everything basically boils down to your status and your pocket.

Goodluck

ochem chidi n said:
ochem chidi

Hi,
just wondering, are you really bent on going to the states? coz its really tough there.....if you are willing to consider going to med school elsewhere, i suggest you look at NUS...its in singapore. Do a google search for their site.
Last time i checked(about 3 yrs ago) they offered a MBBS PhD program which takes about 7-8yrs. I think its possible to get a scholarship from them, but the catch is you have to work in Singapore for a few years(5 if im not mistaken) to pay back the expenses incurred in training you.
Like i said, my info in about 3 yrs old, things might be different now, but i guess this is worth looking into.

hope this helps....

Dr. MAXY said:
Hey just wandering if there are any Ghanaian, Nigerian or African Pre-Med, Med Student or Resident on SDN?
Hey... I'm a Nigerian and a natural born US citizen @ Truman state, MO.
Where are u from?????

mrs_doc said:
Hi Guys,
I am from central africa and i am looking for study partner in Atlanta and area.
Please contact me. :)

you are looking for a study partner to study what?

RMT said:
Hi,
just wondering, are you really bent on going to the states? coz its really tough there.....if you are willing to consider going to med school elsewhere, i suggest you look at NUS...its in singapore. Do a google search for their site.
Last time i checked(about 3 yrs ago) they offered a MBBS PhD program which takes about 7-8yrs. I think its possible to get a scholarship from them, but the catch is you have to work in Singapore for a few years(5 if im not mistaken) to pay back the expenses incurred in training you.
Like i said, my info in about 3 yrs old, things might be different now, but i guess this is worth looking into.

hope this helps....

Hey Guys,

Cameroonian here. Applying to med school this year. Presently @ the Univ. of Maryland, CP. Peace to all bros and sis!
Good luck to y'all out there.

BTW, is anyone going to be at the SNMA conf in St Louis this week/weekend, holla at me if you will.

On another note, Sad news, we lost one of our own.
Taniform Abongwa, 1st yr at Wayne State Med Schl. Drowned while in Ecuador during spring break on a med mission trip. Didnt know him personally, but he was close friends with some of my friends, and its a shame.
http://www.med.wayne.edu/news_media/prognosis/mdiff.asp
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4269471/detail.html?subid=22100415&qs=1;bp=t

Last edited:
lotanna said:
On another note, Sad news, we lost one of our own.
Taniform Abongwa, 1st yr at Wayne State Med Schl. Drowned while in Ecuador during spring break on a med mission trip. Didnt know him personally, but he was close friends with some of my friends, and its a shame.

This is very sad. My prayers and condolences go out to Taniform and his family :(

Hi,
This is great that there are so many West africans doing their thing in the medical field. I'm Ghanaian and I'm not in med school like every body else seems to be in,but i'm actually in school to get an O.D which is for doctor of optometry (eye doctor). This is so cool...i'm glad i can meet all you guys. Hit me back. :D

Hey guys am from Nigeria, in year4 College of med, Ilorin in Nigeria :thumbup:

docjolly said:
This is very sad. My prayers and condolences go out to Taniform and his family :(

sorry on loss of ur friend,
may the Lord grant his family strength in the loss

Dr. MAXY said:
Hey just wandering if there are any Ghanaian, Nigerian or African Pre-Med, Med Student or Resident on SDN?

Omo Naija!

Hi I am nigerian but i grew up in the states. I have taken the mcat 3 times and i keep getting the same horrible low score. My credentials are good aside from my low mcats and I have applied 2x and all the schools complain about the same thing low mcats(23). I previously had low science gpa of 2.9 but I did advanced postbac courses in bio and got practically a perfect 4.0 science gpa but none of which was biochem (would taking this help). I currently still waiting on hu med and meharry and really not sure what to do any more. I will be going on a med mission this summer to Ghana and have decided that I might continue working in public health (I have a master's in ph) in either naija or ghana possibly on contract till january during which i will not work at all to study for the 4 months as well as maybe take biochem at umdcp if i do not take in ghana this year(should i definitely take the biochem in states of does it not matter where i take it). What do you think? Do you think these two measures (taking biochem and not working and studying for the mcat) would help me get over the hump and do you have any suggestions please in as to how I should tackle this issue in the event that i do not get in hu or meharry? Would be truly appreciated.
Thanks

nne97080 said:
Hi I am nigerian but i grew up in the states. I have taken the mcat 3 times and i keep getting the same horrible low score. My credentials are good aside from my low mcats and I have applied 2x and all the schools complain about the same thing low mcats(23). I previously had low science gpa of 2.9 but I did advanced postbac courses in bio and got practically a perfect 4.0 science gpa but none of which was biochem (would taking this help). I currently still waiting on hu med and meharry and really not sure what to do any more. I will be going on a med mission this summer to Ghana and have decided that I might continue working in public health (I have a master's in ph) in either naija or ghana possibly on contract till january during which i will not work at all to study for the 4 months as well as maybe take biochem at umdcp if i do not take in ghana this year(should i definitely take the biochem in states of does it not matter where i take it). What do you think? Do you think these two measures (taking biochem and not working and studying for the mcat) would help me get over the hump and do you have any suggestions please in as to how I should tackle this issue in the event that i do not get in hu or meharry? Would be truly appreciated.
Thanks
I think taking biochem, not working and studying for the mcat should help you get a higher score. However, as someone that got in after applying 2x with the same low MCAT 25, I think its about making the rest of your application very strong. I completely redid my PS, did a clinical research internship, in the process got nice letters of rec from the physicians I worked with and applied very early the second time and i think it made a huge difference. Keep calling Howard and Meharry, hopefully, you'll get good news soon. Good luck.

kramerfan said:
I think taking biochem, not working and studying for the mcat should help you get a higher score. However, as someone that got in after applying 2x with the same low MCAT 25, I think its about making the rest of your application very strong. I completely redid my PS, did a clinical research internship, in the process got nice letters of rec from the physicians I worked with and applied very early the second time and i think it made a huge difference. Keep calling Howard and Meharry, hopefully, you'll get good news soon. Good luck.

Thanks. I think I might retake all my my sciences actually. Never thought about that. i think other parts of my application are really great a lot of the interviewers are always wowed when they meet me but when it gets to the committee voting I flop as soon as they see the mcats and the post back sci gpa. I will definitely add the retaking of my sciences to the list of my to dos. Thanks for the advice. However, where do you think I should re do comm college or 4 yr inst. or even Ghana what do you think?

nne97080 said:
Thanks

Hey I think I might have some valuable advice for you!! send me a pm, or better yet I'll send u my email

Hello Naija Peeps

I was born in Naija as well. I have been in the states for almost 14 years - not consecutively though. I am a computer systems engineer and "like" my job but don't want to do that for the rest of my life. So I am in the process of getting into med school. I took the MCAT just 2 weeks ago and now just preparing my application documents. I am in the west coast and prefer to stay here so Im going to apply mostly to west coast schools. Dont care much about big name schools because to me most schools are pretty much the same on the average. Plus owing in excess of $200K loan is really not a fun feeling. I am hoping to get into my state school and cut that debt by about half. Are there any fellow Naija MD/DO aspirants (especially ladies :D ) in Arizona or near by?

Cheers all

Dr. MAXY said:
i am a nigerian as well.am presently in a medical school in the carribeans and i was wondering if there is any chance of transfering to a medical school in the US or doin my clinical rotations in the US

Orth2006 said:
Hello Naija Peeps

I was born in Naija as well. I have been in the states for almost 14 years - not consecutively though. I am a computer systems engineer and "like" my job but don't want to do that for the rest of my life. So I am in the process of getting into med school. I took the MCAT just 2 weeks ago and now just preparing my application documents. I am in the west coast and prefer to stay here so Im going to apply mostly to west coast schools. Dont care much about big name schools because to me most schools are pretty much the same on the average. Plus owing in excess of $200K loan is really not a fun feeling. I am hoping to get into my state school and cut that debt by about half. Are there any fellow Naija MD/DO aspirants (especially ladies :D ) in Arizona or near by?

Cheers all

Just wanted to say dont limit yourself by applying to just west coast schls, choose ur schools wisely, and also apply to other schls around the country, especially if u think u've a good chance of getting in. Get the interviews and or acceptances first b4 u start narrowing it down, u dont want to narrow it down too much so that u put urself at a risk of waiting to hear back from 1 or 2 schls.
Remember apply to ur state schls
apply to those u think u have a good chance of getting an interview from
those you think you have an ok chance
a couple of far reach

lotanna said:
Just wanted to say dont limit yourself by applying to just west coast schls, choose ur schools wisely, and also apply to other schls around the country, especially if u think u've a good chance of getting in. Get the interviews and or acceptances first b4 u start narrowing it down, u dont want to narrow it down too much so that u put urself at a risk of waiting to hear back from 1 or 2 schls.
Remember apply to ur state schls
apply to those u think u have a good chance of getting an interview from
those you think you have an ok chance
a couple of far reach

Hi will call you just wanted to give you space for exams. Do you have any clues about scholarships for first years out there. Let me know. Thanks

Another Naija girl in the house! I was born in the States (Atlanta GA), but travel home when I can. Hope to be going back in December to visit.
Im a premed graduating senior, reapplying to med school. Hope to start in Fall 2006. Right now, Im waiting to hear back from post bac progrs I applied to.
Also looking into MPH programs.

Hey, lets keep this thread going! We gotta stick together:)

Oluchi said:
Another Naija girl in the house! I was born in the States (Atlanta GA), but travel home when I can. Hope to be going back in December to visit.
Im a premed graduating senior, reapplying to med school. Hope to start in Fall 2006. Right now, Im waiting to hear back from post bac progrs I applied to.

MPH is a good idea and so a post bac programs if you think it would help. I have an mph and it was a great experience and i will be first yeah at howard med next yeah. You can definitely do it. Good luck.

any Naija in the in house for post gradrate studies (residency) in medicine?

it seems i am the only one. :cool:

well, if there is any brotha in here, holla back at me :scared:

obasanjo said:

Seriously of all the names na Uncle sege last name you come take why now?!

nne97080 said:
Seriously of all the names na Uncle sege last name you come take why now?!

na who be uncle sege? you mean my papa?

obasanjo said:
na who be uncle sege? you mean my papa?

Obasanjo na ya papa? you kiddin right?

obasanjo said:

hi, another fellow naija here. i'll be starting my residency this june. never really paid much attention to this site, but it would be nice to actually have a stong naija thread going.

Oluchi said:

hey there,
i just wanted to add my 2 cents. if i were you, i'd go for the mph and forget about the postbacc. unless you're an english, psych, music, history or some other non-science major, a post bacc does nothing for you. an mph complements an md degree and looks better on your cv. a postbacc looks more like a remedial course. and if need be, you can actually use an mph degree. but that's just my opinion.

allodoc said:
hi, another fellow naija here. i'll be starting my residency this june. never really paid much attention to this site, but it would be nice to actually have a stong naija thread going.

nice to have you in here.
so you have cleared the MLE stuff.
where did you match?

allodoc said:
hey there,
i just wanted to add my 2 cents. if i were you, i'd go for the mph and forget about the postbacc. unless you're an english, psych, music, history or some other non-science major, a post bacc does nothing for you. an mph complements an md degree and looks better on your cv. a postbacc looks more like a remedial course. and if need be, you can actually use an mph degree. but that's just my opinion.

Makes sense allodoc.... too late i imagine though. I've been accepted to one post bac already and solidified my spot in the program. I didnt start looking seriously into MPH programs until recently, and am leary of the run around to get recs and such. Also, I wonder if my stats will be good enough even for MPH (i have 3.09 gpa, and 17L MCAT). Do u know anyone who got into MPH w/ that?

Another thing...I wanted to get MPH and MD at the same time, so that when Im finished, Im finished. I can begin pursuing a solid career placement, as opposed to taking up to 2 yrs in MPH program..turning down job opportunities because i have 2 do med school....applying for med school...doing 4yrs at med school, 2 yrs residency, etc. This is my thinking...u feel me? What do u think?

Oluchi said:
Makes sense allodoc.... too late i imagine though. I've been accepted to one post bac already and solidified my spot in the program. I didnt start looking seriously into MPH programs until recently, and am leary of the run around to get recs and such. Also, I wonder if my stats will be good enough even for MPH (i have 3.09 gpa, and 17L MCAT). Do u know anyone who got into MPH w/ that?

Another thing...I wanted to get MPH and MD at the same time, so that when Im finished, Im finished. I can begin pursuing a solid career placement, as opposed to taking up to 2 yrs in MPH program..turning down job opportunities because i have 2 do med school....applying for med school...doing 4yrs at med school, 2 yrs residency, etc. This is my thinking...u feel me? What do u think?

Oluchi.
Base on your stat, you made a right decision to go for post-bac. I don't know how long is the program but let say, it is one year. You can take one year to do MPH while in med school. So you will have both post-bac and MPH in 2 years. But if you choose MPH before med school, it will also take you 2 years. Plus the post-bac will help you in your first 2 years of med school. Just do very well in the post-bac and bust the MCAT, and you will be more than fine. Make sure you mention about why you did the post-bac in your statement. Trust me it will help. Good luck.

Oluchi said:

hi oluchi,
let me just say that i don't know that much about post bacc programs, so my idea about them may be wrong. regardless, having to re-do science courses when you've already done them does not serve any purpose (in my mind). even a gpa of 3.0 does not warrant a post bacc, but if that's what admissions committees are looking for, then by all means, that's what needs to be done. i agree with doing a joint md/mph program and you can always do it in 4yrs (depending on which med school you go to). other than my reason above, i recommended the mph because if you are going to wait a year, you might as well do something that would be worthwhile. when you're done with an mph, you can work. you can't do that with a post bacc.
however, in light of the stats and all, it makes sense to do a post bacc. don't worry, i wasn't knocking your decision, i was only trying to give another view.

obasanjo said:
nice to have you in here.
so you have cleared the MLE stuff.
where did you match?

hey obasanjo,
are you a resident? yes, i've got all those pesky exams out of the way. actually, i still have step 3 to go. some (crazy) people have recommended taking it before intern year, but i definitely will not be doing that. i'll be starting medicine at bu. it's a daunting thought to finally be the intern, but i'm very excited.

allodoc said:
hey obasanjo,
are you a resident? yes, i've got all those pesky exams out of the way. actually, i still have step 3 to go. some (crazy) people have recommended taking it before intern year, but i definitely will not be doing that. i'll be starting medicine at bu. it's a daunting thought to finally be the intern, but i'm very excited.

hey allodoc,
where/what is bu? anywhere congrats on completing step 1 and 2. that is great accomplishment :thumbup: i hope say you make big party +pity+ .
are you IMG or AMG? i am not yet a resident, still battling with step 2. (already cleared step1)hope to match for 2006.
in which state are you? New york?
man, keep in touch........ :cool: