Any Ghanaian, Nigerian or West African Here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nikkie said:
Bien sure! I speak Criolo and I am not too bad in French. Cabo Verde is a beautiful country full of "culture" and history. A call it "an island window to Africa" and a living example of the consequences (mostly good, but some bad) of colonialism or as the Portuguese like to say it now, a meeting of two cultures (PC for colonialism). Alors, salut Lotanna.

C'est bien ca :D
welcome aboard!!

Members don't see this ad.

Blake said:
Wow, the nigerian are representin' big time. I come from Ivory Coast :oops:

On dit quoi!!! Abidjan will always be my 2nd home, infact I could use some attieke and poulet braisse right now!!! :D

LOL, you should see the annual minority med student conference, snma, like enough nigerians there to form our own nigerian descent med students org, its scary :p
Big up to my naija folks tho, u know how we do

Hi Nflow,
I was born in lagos but grew up in Edo State (Go Benin City !!!!). I live in Maryland now. What about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
kenniemd said:
Hi Nflow,
I was born in lagos but grew up in Edo State (Go Benin City !!!!). I live in Maryland now. What about you?

Bawo ni Kenniemd,

I live in Miami, so I really don't have to move anywhere in the fall, which is pretty cool :cool: . I used to live in Maryland though, and I still have a lot of family members in that area. Well good luck in medschool and KIT.

peace

Nflow said:
Bawo ni Kenniemd,

I live in Miami, so I really don't have to move anywhere in the fall, which is pretty cool :cool: . I used to live in Maryland though, and I still have a lot of family members in that area. Well good luck in medschool and KIT.

peace

She da da ni? :D
LOL much Wazobia love this way!

lotanna said:
She da da ni? :D
LOL much Wazobia love this way!

Owa da da. Ewo kon? (I sure hope I spelt that right :) )

Keep on representing!

BTW can you please post more info on SNMA, I am really interested, but I don't know much about it.

Thanks,

Naira Flow :laugh:

Nflow said:
Owa da da. Ewo kon? (I sure hope I spelt that right :) )

Keep on representing!

BTW can you please post more info on SNMA, I am really interested, but I don't know much about it.

Thanks,

Naira Flow :laugh:

Adupe Olorun

www.snma.org
your schl should have a chap, they have the annual snma convention every easter weekend, 2004 was in New Orleans. 2005 will be in ST Louis. I'll be there, since I'm on the e-board startin this fall.
Last one i went to was in undergrad in 2001 in ATL, so many Naija folks, its crazy!

Okay we got enough nigerians in here to help me answer this question.

I want to know how to make that "party" style jallof rice. I can make regular jallof rice at home but when I attend a certain parties and I eat the jallof rice there, it is always YUMMIER. It has this smokey/mesquite type taste to it.

How do I copy that taste when I make my own jallof rice? :confused:

If anyone knows, please educated me on this process.

BushBaby said:
Okay we got enough nigerians in here to help me answer this question.

I want to know how to make that "party" style jallof rice. I can make regular jallof rice at home but when I attend a certain parties and I eat the jallof rice there, it is always YUMMIER. It has this smokey/mesquite type taste to it.

girl thats how it always is. Just doesnt taste the same! Maybe its the partially burnt aspect that makes it that way. I've been tryin to figure it out too myself!!

I think O could be of help. Try this out and see if it works Ingredients used in Nigerian cuisines: Type of Meat used in Nigerian cuisines Fish & ShellFish Recipes

BOILED RICE serve 4

600g/. 11b rice
11tr/2pints water
salt to taste

Pick and wash the rice. Place in a good size pot and cover with cold water. Place on heat and allow to boil for 5minutes, remove form heat and wash away excess starch with cold water. Barely cover rice with cold water, add some salt and a little butter. Cover pot and cook 20 minutes until cooked and all the moisture is absorbed. Fluff with a fork to senarate grains and serve hot.

FRAGRANT COCONUT RICE serves

450g / 11b rice
11tr / 2 pint Coconut milk
I medium size fresh fish
225g/ 8oz fresh prawns (shelled)
1 OOg / 4oz ground crayfish
2 chillies (sliced)
1 onion (sliced)
2 tomatoes (sliced)
salt to taste

Wash the rise and place in a large pot. Add the coconut milk together with the sliced chillies, onions tomatoes and salt. Bring to boil, reduced heat and allow to cook for 15minutes. Sprinkle in the ground crayfish and stir arrange the washed fish and prawns on the top, cover and cook gently for another 15 minutes until all the liquid is well absorbed.

JOLLOF RICE serves 4

600g/11b rice
1 kg / 21b meat or chicken
2 chillies (liquidised)
I onion (liquidised)
11tr / 2pints stock
I onion (sliced)
3 fresh tomatoes (sliced)
200ml groundnut oil
Seasoning
I bay leaf
teaspoon thyme
I clove garlic
I teaspoon curry
I teaspoon nutmeg
salt to taste

Wash the meat or chicken, season with garlic and salt. Place to cook until tender. Wash the rice and leave to drain. Heat the oil and fry the cooked meat until brown, remove from pan and fry the ground tomatoes, onions and chillies for 10minutes. Add the tomato puree and seasonings, fry for another 5 minutes, add the washed rice and gradually add the stock, stirring con tinuously.

Bring to the boil and reduced heat, cook for 15min utes until nearly soft. Add the sliced tomatoes, onions and fried meats. Stir cover and allow to steam until all the liquid is well absorbed. Serve hot garnished with meat pieces and boiled eggs. :) :)

Okay ladies and gents,

What does bay leaf exactly taste like? I have some in my house but they've been here for about 6years and have lots all flavor/taste/smell, but my mother refuses to throw it out.

BushBaby said:
Okay ladies and gents,

What does bay leaf exactly taste like? I have some in my house but they've been here for about 6years and have lots all flavor/taste/smell, but my mother refuses to throw it out.

http://www.montrealfood.com/bayleaf.html

send my plate by fedex abeg!

BushBaby said:

Marry me and you won't have to worry about little things like that! I certainly wouldnt mind being a stay-at-home husband.

proph...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello To All My Fellow Africans Especially The Nigerian Kings And Queens (ki Lo Sele?
I'm A Pharmacy Major At St. Johns. Any Other Pharmacy Majors Holla Back

may God...now that's funny. First time reading on the african forum and now i can cook jelloff rice! Wait...i already know how to cook jelloff rice.somebody tell me how to cook africa salad like the one in those mama put shops.
Oh, forgot, I am a pre-med student from Houston(naija central). i attented schools in imo state (yeah!!) Owerri, at Alvana (the secondary school of Alvan university) I can speak ibo not fluently, but can't write it. :( I was thinking of what med school to go too. I like howard and morehouse (or maybe just ATL). its good to see my naija and african women doing there thing. The days of cooking fufu and being slaves is over ya heard. holla at me if u in houston.

p.s. what residencies are ya looking towards. and is Princeton review better than kaplan.

mochief2000 said:
may God...now that's funny. First time reading on the african forum and now i can cook jelloff rice! Wait...i already know how to cook jelloff rice.somebody tell me how to cook africa salad like the one in those mama put shops.
Oh, forgot, I am a pre-med student from Houston(naija central). i attented schools in imo state (yeah!!) Owerri, at Alvana (the secondary school of Alvan university) I can speak ibo not fluently, but can't write it. :( I was thinking of what med school to go too. I like howard and morehouse (or maybe just ATL). its good to see my naija and african women doing there thing. The days of cooking fufu and being slaves is over ya heard. holla at me if u in houston.

p.s. what residencies are ya looking towards. and is Princeton review better than kaplan.

Wow, small world. My junior brother also graduated from Alvana. My family resides a few miles away-right beside Concorde Hotel in Owerri.Good luck on your MCAT and I used the princeton review-I highly recomend reviewing their study materials but watch out for that verbal section. Holla at you boy if you have any questions :cool:

mochief2000 said:

Big ups, welcome on board! I was in Htown this summer.
Princeton is good but u need to get hooked up with Exam krackers EK is king, check out the MCAT discussions forum for more!!

Last edited:
ortho-mdmba said:
:D

I guess I should state my Naija pedigree first...

Chrisland Primary (class of 1990)
Chrisland Secondary (class of 1996-although didn't finish, did 4 years)

Currently MD/MBA candidate (I post regularly on the MD/MBA forum if you are interested). Interested in Orthopedic surgery. Glad to see some folks out there doing their thing.

Feel free to send me a private message.
my cousin might have been ur set at Chrisland was there for a yr maybe a yr and a half, u might know him, the kid from the States who got beat down by 9 senior boys, who were suspended :(
I think it might have been 93

Goodluck and keep reppin!

hi, am a Nigerian. i just joined SDN. am about rounding off my studies(precisely next month) in a medschool in Nigeria S/West. i wish to be in touch with u Naijas out there.

mochief2000 said:

Hello, am also Nigeria, Its great read all this entrys from my fellow Africans. I went to AICE primary school in Owerri, then I went a year in federal girls owerri before coming to the states, Am new to this site so am still familiarizing my self with all the stuff here. Am currently applying to med school this summer so I will appreciate any good advice.

Hi! I'm not West African...I'm East African, but I love to see the way Nigerians are representing for Africa in medicine in such large numbers! We may not come from the same countries but I still share the pride and feel connected to all my Nigerian friends. Keep it up!

Great comment from Mlle, D'you stay in Africa?

No, I'm currently not in Africa, I'm a Medical school in the US.

Dr. MAXY said:
Hey just wandering if there are any Ghanaian, Nigerian or African Pre-Med, Med Student or Resident on SDN?

I'm glad to say that I'm Nigerian, but not biased to anyone who's not from Nigeria.

apple638 said:
My father is Nigerian but I was born in Monrovia, Liberia. My family moved to the states when I was 2.
It seem like you got this naija connection going, But I'm from liberia and a first dental student at siu. pm me if you want a formal introduction. talk to you later. what's your interest on this site?

zud$ in the house y'all. hey howz everyone doing? im 4rm naija, def'n keeping it real. well i just found out about this site and it seems cool. im a pre-med student in tampa, florida and im taking my mcat exams next year so ill need all ur advice and stuff. i heard getting into med school here in yankee is as tough as nuts.

'Tis better to have loved and lost; than never to have loved at all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=61513

Fake Degrees for Sale - How Many Ghanaians Have Fallen Prey?
A website run by Peter Leon Quinn, described in Britain as a phony character is selling fake degrees and A Level results for a mere 165 pounds (2.6 million cedis). The forged qualifications range from medical and law degrees to masters in English. The Guardian which investigated and published the story on Monday July 5 registered two of its reporters, who within a week obtained a medical degree from Oxford University and a bachelor of arts from the University of Strathclyde. Within a few days the certificates arrived with forged signatures, watermarks and stamps copied from the originals. The Guardian quoted authorities of the two universities as saying the "forgeries were worryingly authentic."

The Liverpool based man who is nicknamed "the magician', because of his dexterity in the forgery business has been the subject of various injunctions and has been questioned by the police on several occasions and released, according to the Guardian.

The Guardian reported that the production of false school results is not illegal in the UK and although the forgery of degrees is against the law the process of bringing culprits like Quinn to book has proved prohibitively lengthy and expensive for the Universities.

The inability of the law to deal with Quinn has left Trading Standards officials and university authorities frustrated that he continues to sell fake degrees to customers all over the world.

"We have no idea how many people do buy these certificates and use them but it must be significant because people don't put money into business if they aren't going to earn money", Guardian quoted Stuart Pudney of North Yorkshire County Council's trading standards department.

In 2000 a survey of 1500 top British companies by the global information solutions found that 49% were concerned about applicants lying about their qualifications. Andy Davidson of the Institute of Employment Studies told the Guardian that fake degrees thriving because many employers did not check their authenticity with the various universities that were supposed to have issued them. The onus is on employers to always cross check with universities.

The question is how many Ghanaians and Africans may have fallen prey to Quinn's scams?

hi guys out there,
please come to my aid, i'm currently a 300l biochemistry udergraduate student of Delta State University Abraka Nigeria, but i need financial support to have my second degree in medicine and surgery either in USA or Uk
pls help me. pls u can reach out to me via my mail add. below
my E-mail add. is [email protected]

ochem chidi n said:
hi guys out there,
please come to my aid, i'm currently a 300l biochemistry udergraduate student of Delta State University Abraka Nigeria, but i need financial support to have my second degree in medicine and surgery either in USA or Uk
pls help me. pls u can reach out to me via my mail add. below
my E-mail add. is [email protected]

hi chidi,
i suppose biochemistry is a four year course at Delsu. Why must you go to the UK or the US before studying Med. But if you insist,You could try Liverpool University's website in the uk.I think they have a scholarship programme.
Don't you have Medicine and surgery at Delsu? I still think it is better to study Med in Nig. since you do not have anybody over there. It might be a little strenous starting life again.
Best of luck though. : :oops:

Dr. MAXY said:
Hey just wandering if there are any Ghanaian, Nigerian or African Pre-Med, Med Student or Resident on SDN?

Another Nigerian here(female)...what's up? I'm a Biomedical Sciences/Pre Pharmacy Junior at OU....are there any Pre-Pharm Africans or is everybody on the Pre-med or Med wagon? ah ah.......oga o!!

@Dr. Maxy...are u at SWOSU? It's kinda one of my choices for Pharmacy school...are there enough blacks there...cuz when I came, they were quite scarce.....

Wow, we Naija's sure take over everything. Seriously, I am proud to see so many of us, not just Nigerian's, thriving in the med profession. Keep up the good work.

Glad to see fellow nigerians representing! im a 3rd yr med student in south east asia. :)

i also noted alot of premed nigerians in this part of the globe too!

Lucyojayme said:
hi chidi,
i suppose biochemistry is a four year course at Delsu. Why must you go to the UK or the US before studying Med. But if you insist,You could try Liverpool University's website in the uk.I think they have a scholarship programme.
Don't you have Medicine and surgery at Delsu? I still think it is better to study Med in Nig. since you do not have anybody over there. It might be a little strenous starting life again.
Best of luck though. : :oops:

I agree with lucyojayme. u should probably do ur medicine in nigeria, its really difficult to study abroad especially if you dont know anyone there and u are not financially stable(its hard to do get a part-time job and study at the same time)

well i am from Ghana, I am not sure if i have posted in this thread or not. Anyways... i love the presence in here. There are a lot of nigerian students in my class, there are a couple of botswanis, a camerounian and a gambian. We are one great family. Since first year, my ideas of other tribes and nationalities has changed completely. About studying in one's country. I don't think that is the relevant question. If you can afford it and can adapt to a completely different way of life, then I think you should opt to learn in another country. I really like the foreign students in my class, and if i had my way i would have been going out with one of em by now. :cool: SUM OUT
RMT said:
I agree with lucyojayme. u should probably do ur medicine in nigeria, its really difficult to study abroad especially if you dont know anyone there and u are not financially stable(its hard to do get a part-time job and study at the same time)

I dey greet all of una oo! me sef..I'm from Naija. Abia State holdin it dowwwnnn 24--7..ya hearddd!

but come o...is this for only med students or what? wey my peeps in other health careers naw?? lol!

Oga kpatapkata na for everybody o. Pharmacy, nurses, dentist, we dey represent. Which field which you dey sef. :)

Here comes the President of all Nigerians where ever they are.... :hardy:
Greetings to all. Hope you are all doing fine. :)
if any body should threaten you, just let me know…. I will order my secret police to track him/her….. :scared:

By the way, is there any Nigerian preparing for the USMLE?
Seems all of you here are all beginners in med school.
if any one is preparing for the ‘mle stuff, holla back at me.

Good lock to all your undertakings +pity+

Dr. MAXY said:

1st generation Nigerian @ KUMC

hei guys,good to see our fellow naija and interestingly in medical line. i'm so sure we will do good.graduated from benin 2yrs back ,already passed step 1 and writing step 2 soon. its fun to identify with fellow collegues both younger and older ones. stay in vegas,not gambling yet but hope to soon!.get back and become more familiar.its nice to assoc. am not a female in case boys wan rush me,am a guy.
proud of you guys
[email protected]
CK

Hey Chomy,

So you graduated from BENSU, in Ekpoma? Did you go to med school here or in naija? Anyways, goodluck on passing step one.

Anyone go to school in Lagos, I was there till middle school (Secondary School :D , I know long time, I sometimes wish I experienced College/University life in Naija.

And since we are identifying whether we are male or female. I am 100% female :D

chomy said:
hei guys,good to see our fellow naija and interestingly in medical line. i'm so sure we will do good.graduated from benin 2yrs back ,already passed step 1 and writing step 2 soon. its fun to identify with fellow collegues both younger and older ones. stay in vegas,not gambling yet but hope to soon!.get back and become more familiar.its nice to assoc. am not a female in case boys wan rush me,am a guy.
proud of you guys
[email protected]
CK

I am 100% female :D[/QUOTE]

Are you single?

proph...

Hello to all my fellow Africans,
I'm from Ghana. it doesn't matter if I was born in the US I still consider myself full Ghanaian. When you do the math father 100%Ghanaian Mom 100% Ghanaian; therefore, I am 200%Ghanaian. :D lol So I am more than Ghanaian lol. :)

prophecy2 said:
I am 100% female :D

Are you single?

proph...[/QUOTE]

it is fast becoming an online dating site.

btw anyone in europe in this forum?

for the naija folk....
Just wondering how many of the soon to be doctors plan on going back to naija to practice?
what are the pros and cons?

RMT said:
for the naija folk....
Just wondering how many of the soon to be doctors plan on going back to naija to practice?
what are the pros and cons?

I'll not go back as a doctor, but as a politician. So, I can be able to help more people.

Nflow said:
Hey Chomy,

So you graduated from BENSU, in Ekpoma? Did you go to med school here or in naija? Anyways, goodluck on passing step one.

Anyone go to school in Lagos, I was there till middle school (Secondary School :D , I know long time, I sometimes wish I experienced College/University life in Naija.

And since we are identifying whether we are male or female. I am 100% female :D
HI NFLOW,whats up?actually graduated from uniben.are you in medical line,are u thru with college?well am really getting ready for my next exam soon which was why i did not visit the site for quite sometime,sorry it took a while to get back to you.why not write thru my e mail or drop yrs for me so we could talk a little bit more often.it could be boring attimes here u know.
compliments of the eason to u and evry great guys and ladies in this forum.I am so sure we will make it sooner than we thought.
cheers guys
chomy

ibo man said:
I'll not go back as a doctor, but as a politician. So, I can be able to help more people.

u might be able to help more people as a doctor than u think. After my recent med mission trip to Naija, even with all my so called knowledge about the lack of adequate healthcare, I found out its even worse. People in the smaller villages and towns are really lacking big time.
What kind of politician would u like to be? The Minister of Petroleum spot has been vacant for a while, but the prez is keepin to himself :D

Whats up though, its been a min, hope dental schl is treating u ok. U getting ready for Part I?

@Nflow, whats up!! its been a while, hope everything is ok. My 1st semester in med schl kicked my behind, worse than any koboko, but it taught me a lot :)

@everyone else, keep on keeping on.
To unify all on the board, check out this video of Nigerian singer Tony Tetuila and Ghanaian singer Tic Tac with their collabo called Fen fen na efe. It was/is top of charts in both countries...Enjoy :)

http://www.aittv.com/vod2.asp?articleid=16&zoneid=1

Also this other video goes out to all my African sistahs, we are really queens! I love this song!
http://www.aittv.com/vod2.asp?articleid=33&zoneid=1

lotanna said:
u might be able to help more people as a doctor than u think. After my recent med mission trip to Naija, even with all my so called knowledge about the lack of adequate healthcare, I found out its even worse. People in the smaller villages and towns are really lacking big time.
What kind of politician would u like to be? The Minister of Petroleum spot has been vacant for a while, but the prez is keepin to himself :D

Whats up though, its been a min, hope dental schl is treating u ok. U getting ready for Part I?

@Nflow, whats up!! its been a while, hope everything is ok. My 1st semester in med schl kicked my behind, worse than any koboko, but it taught me a lot :)

To unify all on the board, check out this video of Nigerian singer Tony Tetuila and Ghanaian singer Tic Tac with their collabo called Fen fen na efe. It was/is top of charts in both countries...Enjoy :)

Also this other video goes out to all my African sistahs, we are really queens! I love this song!

Thanks for those links. I now have a new hobby. Good luck to all.

lotanna said:

Nne Kedu,
Dental has been tough. Second year much tougher than the first. Seems like I don't have enough time in a day to get the didactic and lab work done, and getting ready for the clinic is not a joke. Although couldn't imagine doing anything else. Not looking forward to part one board yet. By the way happy new year. :)