Any coworkers end up as a significant other?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PluckyDuk8

Pluck of all Plucks
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to my EMS buddies,

I was just wondering...Has anyone else ended up going out with a co-worker? I met my boyfriend of now almost two years on my first shift for my private company...we were partnered together and he was supposed to show me the ropes. I then got tossed around form partner to partner, and during that month and a half we kept in touch by phone (you know what they say about guys in uniform), visited each other outside of work, and went on informal dates until we decided to start "going out." We then begged the powers that be to let us be partners on the ambulance together- and we stayed partners for 10 months after that until I started medical school. Now I'm almost done with my first year of medical school and my boyfriend has stopped working and is taking premed classes full time (he's older than me though, he was in the work force for a while), and everything is great between us. Our theory (and my family's) is that if we can spend 12 hours (and sometimes more) in an ambulance together 3 times a week, we can make it through the rest. Oh, for the curious- we had a no touching rule on the ambulance unless it was necessary for work purposes, in order to maintain professionalism. Several of the old grannies we transported thought we were siblings, though! One old lady (we really gave no hint to that we were a couple) said "you guys are cute together, you should get married!"

The hopeless romantic in me would like to hear some more stories! :p

On a side note, anyone want to comment on the phenomenon of the increase of getting hit on while wearing your uniform? I never in my life got looks like I did while I was at work. A guy from another company pulled up next to our ambulance at an intersection and tried to get my number!

Members don't see this ad.

My story's a little different, but still romantic enough for me. I met my boyfriend in undergrad where I thought he was an absolute dork. A few classes together later, he told me about an EMT-B class he was taking and I decided to join it. We eventually became "study partners" for the class and started dating halfway through. 3 years from our first class together, we're both working EMS (while I'm finishing pre-med and he's finishing pre-law) and we work for rival companies in a rural county in Michigan. I work for the public agency and he works for the private service in town. There are a lot of Romeo and Juliet stories that go around....

ciao, raDiOnut :cool:

We have several couples in my volunteer squad that met on the rig and some are now married. Our most infamous couple right now is a guy in his forties who has hooked up with a 19yo girl. I will not comment on that relationship.... It can be tough being in a relationship with someone you work with in EMS. EMTs and medics often have lots of periods of down-time sitting around the station or in the rig which is a prime time to gossip about other people. Your relationship definitely gets analyzed closely by your co-workers when the calls are slow.

I was an EMT in high school and met my husband the first week of my freshman year of college. He got certified as an EMT so he could ride with me when I went home on weekends. My Dad was also an EMT - since the mid-70's and was one of the founding members of my hometown's volunteer EMS service way back then. He has sionce retired from volunteer EMS. I loved riding with my Dad and still enjoy the occasional call with my husband - we have kids so normally we can't ride together.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife and I met in the ED........she was a new nurse and i was a paramedic bringing her patients. We were engaged in 2months. married 4 months later and now 2 years later we have a 1 year old!

I married mine. We worked the day truck 5 days a week for 10 hours a day.

We have been happily married for well over 8 years now. Once we were married we had to split up and finally he went off shore ( where the real money is). :D :D

Yay! Great stories guys. I am sure people talked about us, but the people in dispatch and in the office knew us well, trusted us, and thought we were cute together. Plus, they knew that we worked well together and busted our butts for them. One of our dispatchers called us the "wonder twins." We were also known as the Jew crew but that's another story ;) In my opinion, if it helps your workers be happy and productivity is good, then why not let couples work together? We got several compliments from our "regulars" about our service, professionalism, and kindness. Other emt's that knew us only slightly probably didn't know we were a couple, and those that did know us well knew that we wouldn't do anything innapropriate.

PluckyDuk8 said:
Yay! Great stories guys. I am sure people talked about us, but the people in dispatch and in the office knew us well, trusted us, and thought we were cute together. Plus, they knew that we worked well together and busted our butts for them. One of our dispatchers called us the "wonder twins." We were also known as the Jew crew but that's another story ;) In my opinion, if it helps your workers be happy and productivity is good, then why not let couples work together? We got several compliments from our "regulars" about our service, professionalism, and kindness. Other emt's that knew us only slightly probably didn't know we were a couple, and those that did know us well knew that we wouldn't do anything innapropriate.

I can't believe you never christened the ambulance. My partner and her boyfriend (both medics, he: EMT-P she EMT-B) used to rock that baby everytime they worked together on extra shifts. Lets just say he liked to drive because she would practice her "stick-shifting" while they were going down the road. They also had a "If this van's a-rockin', don't bother knockin'" sign that they made. Apparently, after a little extra disinfectant, that squad bench isn't too bad. :confused: I wonder how OSHA feels about it...

oudoc08 said:
Apparently, after a little extra disinfectant, that squad bench isn't too bad. :confused: I wonder how OSHA feels about it...

Your post made me wince. I was afraid to even sleep on the bench. You never know who used the rig before you and how many people before you used the rig and didn't clean it appropriately. I'd always douse the bench with disinfectant (which made the rig smell horribly) and use sheet before taking a nap.

Hey, I didn't say I did it, although I did have a student third rider once who sat on the cot and spread his McDonalds food all over the bench w/o disinfecting or wiping it. Yuck.

we had a couple who were partners in every sense.................... she got pregnant. We told her she should name the baby after some of the posts where the little gal was conceived. :laugh: They did not marry and split in a not very nice way though.