Uncontrollable Cramps - First Call - What's up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a freshman in a lib arts college and have just started working as a first responder for club sports. I'm a trained WFR and have been on the job for less than a month.

Today our school had a frisbee conference for which my partner and I had to be on call all day (my partner couldn't be reached, he's a EMT-B, so I responded alone). So I got a call late afternoon, was told that they had a guy "going in shock". It's also worth noting that it's 40 degrees outside today.

I booked it and got there 5 mins later, someone there thought he was going into shock and laid him down, raised his legs and wrapped him up with lots of blankets and jackets. Security got there (our security aren't trained medically) and called the medics in.

Since he was lying there all wrapped up already, I started with taking a history and vitals. His HR was 92, skin was relatively P/C/C never got around to others. But the history taking revealed that he had no allergies, took a vicodin, no past history of illnesses (though before I arrived, he told others he took a vicodin for a broken clavicle, but when I asked he said he hasn't broken anything for 4 years), also found out that for food he's only had a bagel and a banana since 8:30am and also claimed to have had a sip of alcohol, he's also been pushing gatorade pretty regularly all day.

Patient's chief complaint was uncontrollable cramping, legs, chest, arms. I was told that the cramps got better as he lied there. But when the medics tried sitting him up he had major cramps in his quads and hamstrings. He also complained of difficulty breathing at times. He was shaking through the entire time.

In the end the medics took him into the truck.

So my question is, what's up?

With my limited knowledge, I am suspecting hypoglycemia which caused all the symptoms like cramping, I'm thinking that the difficulty breathing was caused by chest cramps? Can someone speculate what happened?

Also something I wanna note, a medic and another women (I couldn't see her credentials, she had no patches) arrived on scene and when I handed her my history that I took, she dismissed it pretty quick. Was it because she didn't trust some college kid's history taking? But the paramedic seemed much more willing to listen to me and I managed to tell him that the patient consumed alcohol and popped a pill earlier. He seemed appreciative.

Just something to note, but how would you guys diagnose this patient? Also is there anything I did wrong/what could I have done better?

Thanks guys! Sorry for the mad long post.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.