Anti-URM sentiment on preAllo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I usually don’t respond much on these comments because those that feel the need to interrupt an exchange between peers of their life experiences and their own feelings with unnecessary aggression, baseless accusations tend to be the stubborn types that avoid logical exchanges and insist on flame wars. Furthermore the tendency of pre-meds to proudly tout their lack of experience and education in the humanities (for the more “legitimate” degrees), means you are dealing with a group who by and large are severely lacking in the understanding of human thought and behavior, the effects of culture, social oppression, societal biases, economic status, class, and much more on success.

However, I think some shockingly low levels of societal and self-awareness are being exhibited here that could benefit from discussion. (And because I have some free time atm..)

Let’s dissect this quote...
I have followed this thread from the beginning I am quite sure not a single person has, at any point, said that 1.)Affirmative Action is the most just policy that has come to existence. 2.)Discussed Affirmative Action in particular at any great length at all, since that is not the topic here, and arguably irrelevant, or 3.) Asserted that all whites and ORMs are “bunch of bitter, ignorant bigots”. Your allegation of third point is particularly interesting, you seem offended by the thought that people in this thread would accuse whites and ORMs of being bitter and prejudice, and dismissive of those that have experienced the sentiments of these groups throughout their lives.

URMs get in with lesser CVs/stats than their peers (whites and ORMs). This point is moot because medical admission is not a meritocracy. There exists a minimum threshold by which medical schools have determined correlates to successive completion. On the objective end, last I remember this was a mid 20 MCAT score, for GPA this is harder to target due to lack of standardization, but let’s just say for argument sake it’s a 3.0. That means ANY person, for ANY reason, deemed acceptable by the admission committee of a specific school can choose to accept a student with a lesser CV than their peers. In fact, we all know that a considerable number of people are accepted with lower stats URM and not, otherwise the average GPA of X School couldn’t be a 3.6 if there are 4 URMs in that class right?

Okay but the URMs are more likely to be accepted with lower stats than their peers. Well what other trends exist on average among these groups?
URMs are more likely to have been brought up in poverty, they are more likely to have attended subpar schools from early childhood education through high school (inner city schools, etc) more likely to have not had any early childhood education prior to the available public K, more likely to have been the victim of abuse (verbal, physical and sexual), more likely to have been raised by teenage parents, more likely to have many more siblings in their household = less attention on their individual rearing. All of these not only negatively impact your ability to learn and perform, but may exclude one from even having the chance to learn. The stats and CV you discuss are a product of available opportunities from birth to time of application, opportunities that are far out of reach for most URMs. I’m sure I don’t have to go into great detail here, but those awesome summer research assistantships, internships, facilities, even the basics of have a computer to use in high school, are not attainable for the average URM. With all these disadvantages, on average do you think their CVs will be stacked?

Can you share the source where blacks perform poorly in medical school?

I’m not going to touch on how you target blacks here, as that speaks for itself, surely you know URM encompasses more than the black community. I’m also sure you know that self-aware non-blacks, whether they are other minorities themselves, ORMs, or whites, are capable of recognizing racism around them and the opportunities afforded to them as a non-disadvantaged groups leading them to “complain” about the inequalities that exist in this society. (As has been done in this thread)
What we have here is a common occurrence in biased judgment; fundamental attribution error. Yes, there is always a degree to which an individual’s own choices impacts their success. But to dismiss entirely the external factors at work in an individual’s success shows you have a very limited understanding of the very basic concepts of human behavior and society’s role in an individual’s success. Furthermore, this argument is flawed to begin with, because racism and white privilege did in fact systemically exclude minority groups for medicine and other professions regardless of the exhibited academic performance of the applicant. Blacks barred from medical schools so yes there low representation is a byproduct of institutionalized oppression.
To use your own words, put aside the number of black doctors and go to first principles that underlie it all: unequal educational system.

Honestly, this part is almost laughable gender inequality faced the same issues of underrepresentation. Medical schools for women, much like HBCUs, had to combat the years of institutionalized prejudice that prevented enrollment of women in medical school’s prior to the 70s. As a consequence, these schools had much lower admission standards, because their mission was to get more women into the field, yet they produced competent doctors. After the laws prohibiting gender discrimination in medical school’s in the early 70s and the women’s movements, many more schools began accepting women, with lower stats than their male counterparts. Why? Well when you have thousands of males competing for these positions, which they have arguably been groomed to do, and women who had been denied the education and preparation for such a field, they did not have such outstanding CVs and stats as their male counterparts. Was the low representation of women not a product of “male privilege”? More accurately, “white male privilege”, since these women were still white fighting for equal representation with whites, and American had long deemed the hierarchy white male>white female> minorities (black males~females).

Again, lack of awareness. You, as a first generation American cannot compare or equate your experience in a low-income minority neighborhood to those that have lived in those neighborhoods for generations. There was no white oppression that forced people to skip class, true. But guess what, generational oppression has proved time and time again to minorities that no matter how hard they try they would never get accepted, they would never get that job interview, much less the actual position, they would never be respected for their ideas, and they will always be perceived in a negative light. What is the product of that oppression? You get a new generation of children in the ghetto who fully believe the ghetto is all they can aspire to. They have parents and grandparents that were scorned and scrutinized, and are still there in the ghetto. Their parents have little faith in the world, do you think they realistically present the rainbow imagery of “son, you can be whatever you want to be!”. No, the picture is more like, “son, no matter what you do or hard you try they will never accept you, no one cares about you”. They don’t see the America, or the world for that sake as filled with opportunities waiting to be grasped with eyes wide open as an immigrant family does. This is the product of entrenched racism that becomes internalized, this leads one to hate, and expect little of themselves.

There is a huge difference in mindset and perspective. I am a first generation immigrant, but I am black. I lived in low economic neighborhood, I went to a predominantly black high school, and I saw many times the type of students you describe (skipping class, etc.). I had the intrinsic motivation to work hard, get good grades, perform well, and I didn’t have any of the internal syndromes of generational oppression. I had a parent that expected nothing less than good grades, worked 3 jobs at a time to provide, and though scorned by America as an immigrant, still continually tried to do better. The environment in my home, though economically similar, was did not exhibit the same attitudes and perspectives as non-immigrant families in that neighborhood. Still, I faced the same external hurdles to success that are based on racial prejudice that the native minorities do. My experience was therefore similar in many ways, difference in many ways than an African-American, after-all we look similar, but still there were stark differences in how we approached those challenges, and our ability to overcome them.
My white, German-American husband also went to the same high school, lived in a better neighborhood at the time (though a similarly minority neighborhood in earlier years) and we had entirely different experiences, and perceptions of teachers and administration. The difference in our race played a key role in how teachers interacted with us, whether or not they wanted to mentor us, what opportunities were presented to us, the benefit of the doubt we were given, and much more. If we were to narrate our high school years to you, you would think I went to school in Alabama or something with bigots, where it was impossible to succeed and he went to some fancy private school, where teachers bent over backwards to help him.

Just to add: your statement of spending welfare checks on designer clothing is presumptive at the least. How do you know someone gets welfare checks? You opened them for your neighbors? How do you know they were not fakes? You took their clothing and analyzed the stitching and logos? I highly doubt a minority person explicitly told you that they get welfare checks and that they use that income to buy designer clothing. You might want to take some time and reflect on why you would say something so prejudicial, but are so defensive of being called as such?

First off trading places with an African American does not mean at the point where you would apply to medical school. Sorry it does not work like that, changing your ethnicity means you get all the advantages and disadvantages of that group from birth, not selectively the admission to medical school. The question is rather, would you opt to have been born into an African American family, raised here and subject to the life of a typical African American. Guess what if that was your life you would likely never reach the point of applying to medical school. The disadvantages of being African American in America far surpass the advantages of med school admissions and scholarships. Again, awareness is severely lacking.
You wouldn’t have to work as hard in college? This also ties in with an earlier comment that said all groups have the same free time in college. This is likely false, since on average you would probably be working fulltime to help take care of your home, provide for your siblings, and pay for your own education as an African-American. More likely, you wouldn’t have been used to the system of education in university as your elementary, middle, and secondary education would have rendered you unprepared for that academic environment. You would begin your college education significantly below your white/ORM counterparts.
Go to inner city public high schools in Chicago, LA, NY, Detroit, and D.C., and come back and let me know how academic privilege and oppression has been dissolved. You lack understanding of the public school system. Oppression cannot be dissolved if unequal educational systems are persisting throughout America. The quality of teaching in a minority neighborhood on average is far from equal than that in a suburban white neighborhood. Look at the available of technology such as computer labs, functional libraries, AP/IB courses, SAT prep courses, high school subject proficiency assessments, level of experience of the teachers, compensation of said teachers, level of college counseling and a vast amount of other measures and it would be readily apparent that the difference between the two types of school systems are far from equal. Your experience of getting a 2340 on a SAT (umm aptitude test) does not prove that that school was equal. Besides n=1, it does not give causation or attribution to whether your performance was a result of the education given in school, what was learned within your home, your natural intelligence, your standardized testing abilities, etc.

America does not change at a rapid pace, this is apparent in our broken healthcare system, our ineffective political system, or severely lacking judicial system, our backward social expectations, and our fundamental lack of cultural competency. The only thing that changes rapidly in America is technology, is that the measure you use for ethical issues?

Surely, you are not suggesting that because we have a black president means racism prejudice, and minority exclusion in positions of power does not exist?

You’ve also supported the idea deep-rooted oppression in your example of Nigerians, the immigrant mindset, is distinct from that of the group that has been oppressed for generations, even though they share skin pigment.

For this last part, it’s hard to not be completely disgusted at the comment that “If black people were truly oppressed, they wouldnt be given opportunities to dominate American sports and athletics for millions of dollars.” This is just deplorable. You clearly have no understanding of American history. As discussed earlier, blacks have been systematically barred from many professions over the course of American history. Sports and entertainment industry was one of the earliest to become tolerant of blacks, only because of the huge financial advantages they provided to white businessmen. Boxing for example, was one of the first to allow blacks. You believe a sport that allowed bigoted white men to take advantage of young black men, pay them a fraction of their worth and watch them physically hurt each other is a gracious opportunity that blacks have been afforded? Many equate this to the attitude that blacks could only serve a role of entertainment for whites, but not as educators or positions of power. Still, racial discrimination was persistent black athletes were not compensated as much as whites. Sports are a true meritocracy. Blacks are not given opportunities to dominate sports, the best athlete makes the team, and the best athlete wins the game. There is no affirmative action blessing young, black kids like a fairy godmother with the opportunity to compete at the collegiate or professional level, it is a product of their physical ability. Take a poor black child in the hood that is athletic, offer him money to entertain the nation and make you even more money, he would be too centered on the fact that he is earning something to realize the inherent oppression and exploitation that is being done. He eventually makes more money than he could have imagined as a child in the ghetto. Finally, the reason you see so many black men in professional sports like basketball and football is because of this history of exploitation has led to a high valuation of sport professions in young minds. Children in poverty stricken areas have it ingrained in them that the only way to upward elevation is through a sport, or some other form of entertainment (singing, rapping, etc.).

Just bumping an old post, I'm in love with you..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just bumping an old post, I'm in love with you..

Cool beans. Thanks for sending an alert to everyone and letting us know your love. After a second reading, I think everyone now appreciates the competency of AA-assisted doctors.

Last edited:
freemontie, give it a rest man, do you ever get sick of trolling?

Members don't see this ad :)
freemontie, give it a rest man, do you ever get sick of trolling?

Not trolling. Let me answer that by telling you a story from the account of a close friend: In a major university hospital in the U.S. South; OBGYN department. There are two chief residents applying for an attending position at their training hospital (this place calls all last-year residents chiefs).

One is a Spain national that was very accomplished in surgical oncology in his home country before getting an OBGYN residency in the states. Due to his extensive surgical experience and expertise, he shined. He even shined way beyond the Gyno-Oncology fellows ahead of him. The second person is an African-American female from a US university. Subar USMLE, subar ABSITE, low reviews. Without her race it's very unlikely she would be where she was. End of residency both apply.

Every single attending at the staff meeting wants the Spain national (who wouldn't want a "super surgeon" that can share call with ease???). It would be a straightforward process- but despite the college affirmative action AND medical school affirmative action- there is some sort of diversity office even at this level AS WELL! (fancy name I forgot). Upon getting word (since she's part of the community as a resident) that they are considering the more accomplished guy, she goes to the university diversity office and brings up the point that no current OBGYNs are black- effectively playing the race card. Currently? The decision is pending but they may have to give her the job over the Spanish guy, sadly (and trust me nobody cares about skin-color: it's about how can take care of high risk call

My question is, quite simply: When do you think affirmative action can end? The next step is pushing people who wouldn't even have gotten into medical school without their race, into chairman positions.

Last edited:
Great story bro.
I have another story for you too.

One of the students in the medical school my parents are affiliated with told me that a white girl was accepted to medical school with an Mcat score of 18 and a gpa of 3.2.
Another black girl with a higher gpa , a 3.5, from a very lowest of the low income family, who also had an mcat of 24, about 6 points higher than the white girl, was rejected out of hand.
I don't understand it. An 18 mcat? How?
But she was white and she had the right connections, so there you go.Surely you are planning to begin a letter writing campaign to the universe to protest this injustice, correct?

Every day, people who are legacies ( overwelmingly white), athletes (polo/squash/fencing/golf, overwhelmingly white), from prep schools like Andover and Exeter ( overwhelmingly white), or development admits (rich and overwhelmingly white) gain privileges they don't deserve and haven't worked for in college admissions, medical school admissions, in jobs, in housing, all the time.

I have two simple questions for you:Why aren't you focusing on this systematic , more pervasive affirmative action? 2) Do you think such affirmative action can end?

I personally hate affirmative action and I'm a black girl. I hate it that people ask 5 foot me whether I play basketball when I tell them I go to my big name school despite the fact that my sat score was a 2250 and I took the second hardest courseload at my school, was in the top 10% of my class, with about a 3.7 gpa. bla bla bla

The fact that I have to remind myself and everyone else of my stats to feel like I deserve to be in my school and rich legacy kids who say inane things in class such as ,"Why do I have to care about public education. I'm never going to use it" or openly state that they are assured a job in daddy's top 10 company when they graduate are treated like they worked to get where they are is a great joke to me.

Meritocracy is a great joke to me. keeps me chuckling late at night.

I would love to see affirmative action end. I think it makes no progress towards fixing the real systematic problems facing African Americans, it is simply a self-congratulatory band aid.

But affirmative action is not going away because our system isn't a fair system. Why should I give up affirmative action, so that some white kid with lower scores than me can get in because she has rich parents or connections I don't or plays squash or polo or rows or whatever it is or can afford to go on holiday to cape cod and pretend to give a **** about poverty in Africa, while I save money up to pay my student loans?

You're asking me to basically commit profressional suicide, and sacrifice myself for a meritocracy that does not and never will exist.

So yeah, until you are willing to go to the allopathic low gpa,low mcat thread and ask them all why they deserved to get into medical school or so on, don't expect much response from us here.

Stop trolling.

You can post further arguments but I will not be responding.
Good day.

Reactions: 7 users
Makes sense. There are so many rich white athletes buying their way into medical school. Thanks for that ridiculously racist (anti-white, which I'm not btw) expose. I'm embarrassed for you.

EDIT: development admits (that's what undergrad adcoms call applicants who are children of large donors) do happen in undergrad. But it is extremely rare at the medical school admissions level (and legacy alone without "developmental" has virtually zero advantage at the medical school level- according to more than one adcom on this site) But when it does happen, I vehemently disagree with it as much as you do.
Where you lose me is when you try to use it as an excuse for you own A.A. benefit.

Last edited:
:wow: Beginning to wonder why so much emphasis was placed on diversity in med school admissions. Thanks Internet for reminding me why it is needed.

Reactions: 2 users
:wow: Beginning to wonder why so much emphasis was placed on diversity in med school admissions. Thanks Internet for reminding me why it is needed.

Because you think it's more fair since blacks get discriminated against in other areas of life? Or because we need more black doctors to care for black patients (as if they are another species of human)? Because both reasons are specious at best.

Because you think it's more fair since blacks get discriminated against in other areas of life? Or because we need more black doctors to care for black patients (as if they are another species of human)? Because both reasons are specious at best.

Yes, because surely people feeling more comfortable with those whom they are likely to share more life experiences is the same as considering them an entirely separate species.
The fact that you said "black" when I said diversity shows a lot. I actually said nothing about the two points you think I made. The goal is to make it so future doctors who were likely privilidged all of their lives do not continue to live in a bubble but rather are in an environment that better reflects their future patients.

That "as if they are another species of human" though :rofl:

Reactions: 6 users
Yes, because surely people feeling more comfortable with those whom they are likely to share more life experiences is the same as considering them an entirely separate species.
The fact that you said "black" when I said diversity shows a lot. I actually said nothing about the two points you think I made. The goal is to make it so future doctors who were likely privilidged all of their lives do not continue to live in a bubble but rather are in an environment that better reflects their future patients.

That "as if they are another species of human" though :rofl:

"life experiences"? No- AA here is based on a box you check. The biggest AA-advantage given to the box signifying "black". And I don't know what "the fact that (I) said "black" when (you) said diversity shows" other than I'm familiar with the basics of a med school application.

Just try to think about the cliche you're defending: If people aren't comfortable with someone because their skin color is different, then public policy should be....segregation? At a restaurant, if a black (white) patron wants to be served by a black (white) waiter because "they are likely to share more life experiences" he/she would be labelled a racist. Why would you defend that same mentality at a doctor's office? Sure, appease the patient if you have a black doctor available, but to actually favor black students over others because the client (patient) prefers them is ludicrous. (And beyond all that- I personally doubt black patients are so uncomfortable with sometimes ending up with a non-black doctor. This isn't the 1800s.)

And lastly- what authority do you have to dictate what the goal should be? If the patients get to decide what the goal should be, the majority, I'm sure, would be "to create the most competent doctors possible, regardless of race". But let's say that what you said IS the main goal- we've already established in this thread that black med student's life experiences are not in line with the average black American. So not a very good way to achieve that goal anyway.

This is why it's so frustrating when clods post cliches backed with laughing emojis.

Last edited:
"life experiences"? No- AA here is based on a box you check. The biggest AA-advantage given to the box signifying "black". And I don't know what "the fact that (I) said "black" when (you) said diversity shows" other than I'm familiar with the basics of a med school application.

Just try to think about the cliche you're defending: If people aren't comfortable with someone because their skin color is different, then public policy should be....segregation? At a restaurant, if a black (white) patron wants to be served by a black (white) waiter because "they are likely to share more life experiences" he/she would be labelled a racist. Why would you defend that same mentality at a doctor's office? Sure, appease the patient if you have a black doctor available, but to actually favor black students over others because the client (patient) prefers them is ludicrous. (And beyond all that- I personally doubt black patients are so uncomfortable with sometimes ending up with a non-black doctor. This isn't the 1800s.)

And lastly- what authority do you have to dictate what the goal should be? If the patients get to decide what the goal should be, the majority, I'm sure, would be "to create the most competent doctors possible, irregardless of race". But let's say that what you said IS the main goal- we've already established in this thread that black med student's life experiences are not in line with the average black American. So not a very good way to achieve that goal anyway.

This is why it's so frustrating when clods post cliches backed with laughing emojis.

Poor reading comprehension. You were the one who brought up black doctors for black patients, I only mocked you for your separate species comment. I also never said the main goal of medical school was diversity, that would make no sense. :rofl:
The point of diversity would not be to have a black doctor for a black patient either.
You get the laughing emoji because you deserve it.

Reactions: 4 users
Poor reading comprehension. You were the one who brought up black doctors for black patients, I only mocked you for your separate species comment. I also never said the main goal of medical school was diversity, that would make no sense. :rofl:
The point of diversity would not be to have a black doctor for a black patient either.
You get the laughing emoji because you deserve it.

1. I brought up the two specious arguments used in this thread in support of AA and asked you which one you prescribed to. You ran with the second one about black doctors for black patients. If you have a have a third (probably specious as well) feel free to bring it up. And that separate species comment is ludicrous on purpose. I am making fun of the argument. Next time I want to make fun of something I'll put that sillly emoji around it so like so you can identify it as such, because clearly you are lacking.

2. You never said "main" goal but you said "The goal is..." And in case you haven't realized it yet, goals are not achieved in a vacuum. e.g. in certain sets you can only prioritize one of the goals. e.g. here we can prioritize having a diverse class vs. the most academically competent class. Again, I don't know why you are using an emoji like that for your own vapid thought.

3. What's the point of diversity then, if not that? Just like all the colors? (note: :rofl:)

From the racism or "anti-URM sentiment" I've seen spewed on these forums, it's no wonder black or any person of color patient would want a doctor of their same race - someone who would most likely understand them and actually treat them with humanity both to their face and behind closed doors.

And I find it funny that anyone would have to question "why diversity?" Maybe it's because the world is not just white? Because white is not the default? Because diversity is and should be the standard everywhere because that's how the real world is outside of television and film.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the racism or "anti-URM sentiment" I've seen spewed on these forums, it's no wonder black or any person of color patient would want a doctor of their same race - someone who would most likely understand them and actually treat them with humanity both to their face and behind closed doors.

And I find it funny that anyone would have to question "why diversity?" Maybe it's because the world is not just white? Because white is not the default? Because diversity is and should be the standard everywhere because that's how the real world is outside of television and film.

Why does a particular profession's demographics have to mirror the population at large? For example, in another world people might try to make the NBA more diverse. Why not? A lot of white people want to be professional athletes and some racist fans would like to root for players that more closely resemble them. How about a race quota for the NBA draft? (Note to @Whatsinthebox: :rofl:) This sounds ridiculous but the really ridiculous part is the fact that the performance of NBA players just affect's your city's pride. Doctors affect lives.

I was not aware medicine was now in the entertainment industry. The NBA? Really? Are you still in Undergrad? Give me some hope please.

Reactions: 6 users
I was not aware medicine was now in the entertainment industry. The NBA? Really? Are you still in Undergrad? Give me some hope please.

Again you go, even after I used your emoji. It's a joke. To spell it out for you: the NBA is relatively unimportant entertainment. Thus in some ways it would make more sense to sacrifice performance/competency for diversity there than in medicine. Medicine can be life and death, hence there should be less willingness to curtail the goal of having the highest competency for the sake of diversity. I'm going to have to spell things out for you, huh?

And what does who I am have anything to with this? I am taking pre-med classes. I guess that means my thoughts on the process are completely invalid, right? (again, just for you: :rofl:) I do have a double major degree in computer science and economics and almost 2.5 years working in financial software, though, which I'm guessing is probably more life experience than you. I see that "Medical Student (Accepted)" status, and I'm sure you're very proud, but I'd prefer to let the ideas speak for themselves

Your comparison was not a joke, that is what I found insane.

I was just hoping there is still a chance for you to grow before before you go to medical school if that is your goal.

Reactions: 1 users
Your comparison was not a joke, that is what I found insane.

I was just hoping there is still a chance for you to grow before before you go to medical school if that is your goal.

Promoting diversity for the NBA is a joke. The part that isn't a joke is why our chosen NBA athletes are the best at what they do regardless of race whereas our medical students and later doctors are not? In the case of some doctors, particularly surgeons, the analogy is even more pronounced: why do the people performing surgery have to be diverse whereas the people performing basketball don't? Ultimately the goal for both is impeccable performance, right? Not social planning.

Honestly, I'd say you're the one who needs to grow. Your thought process is incredibly weak and you seem to just support the established norm without thinking deeply about it. And to top it all of, you have/had a nasty habit of forced laughing (that emoji) as a response to something you disagree with. I may be wrong, but I imagine you do that in real life in lieu of a proper response with substance. Which is utterly childish.

Last edited:
The proper response for your utterly childish and weak thought process is laughter. :naughty::laugh:

The proper response for your utterly childish and weak thought process is laughter. :naughty::laugh:

"proper response" utterly childish" "thought process" (is) "weak." Previously your main response to a criticism of AA was a laughing emoji. But now you've graduated to repeating what I wrote back to me. Are we going to exchange "your mom" jokes as well? This is kind of fun (though a little surprising that you suggested I'm the one who needs to "grow", projection perhaps).

Last edited:
I guess my brilliance is lost on you. Anywho, I think I am done. You made me giggle so thank you.

I guess my brilliance is lost on you. Anywho, I think I am done. You made me giggle so thank you.

The telltale sign of brilliance are emojis-as-retort. I think Schopenhauer drew them on his manuscripts. Good luck in medical school because, honestly, you could be my exhibit number 1.

Wow wow wow. I feel incredibly lucky to be at a school where either students don't have this hateful mindset or are at least incredibly good at hiding it.

Don't worry guys, most of these sociopaths get weeded out in the interview process or somewhere else along the way.

Pre-meds are vicious, hateful human beings whereas medical students are often quite nice :)

Reactions: 11 users
Wow wow wow. I feel incredibly lucky to be at a school where either students don't have this hateful mindset or are at least incredibly good at hiding it.

Don't worry guys, most of these sociopaths get weeded out in the interview process or somewhere else along the way.

Pre-meds are vicious, hateful human beings whereas medical students are often quite nice :)
Could you maybe distinguish between disagreeing with AA as an institution vs. vicious sociopathic hatred of Afircan Americans- or have you inexplicably tied the two in your head?

@ChemEngMD It's absolutely mind-blowing, because I didn't realize my peers felt this way until I applied this cycle. It's unfortunate, and I hope this perspective changes in the near future.

Reactions: 4 users
Freemontie's rants come from a place of hatred so I did not respond seriously to any of them as I felt they did not merit a serious response. But the importance of diversity actually seems to be something a lot of people do not get.

Diversity helps alleviate hasty judgement of others by giving them a face. It is much harder to say something like "people who need food-stamps are just lazy" when you know hard working people who have needed them. The patients a Physician will serve will have circumstances and ideas that may make them difficult to treat, but if that Physician has spent time amongst a diverse group of individuals they are better able to empathize or at least tolerate a patient who's views do not align with their own and find the best way to serve the patient while maintaining or building trust and positive relationships between Physician and patient.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...ts_to_Cross_Racial_Divide_in_Medical_Research

Reactions: 5 users
Could you maybe distinguish between disagreeing with AA as an institution vs. vicious sociopathic hatred of Afircan Americans- or have you inexplicably tied the two in your head?

You'll grow out of it, man. My classmates were all laughing because somebody dug up a facebook post from a classmate back from senior year of hs and they were ranting about how unfair affirmative action is and how vehemently against it they are and now they're probably one of the most outspoken social justice proponents in a class full of such people.

I asked the individual what changed their mind. They said that they went to college and were exposed to a lot of people from backgrounds different than theirs and they had to address their inherent privileges, biases, and misconceptions. They learned about systemic social injustice, the history of what has led to these injustices, and the prevalence of them still in society. They then couldn't keep from noticing these issues in their every day lives and their mindset shifted.

You should consider reading up on healthcare disparities, it really puts a microscope on a widespread problem. One statistical point that always stood out to me was infant mortality rates. Overall in the country it was 6.9 per 1000 babies (the paper was older - I think we're down to about 5.2 per 1000 now which is still horrible and puts us at 34th, right behind Cuba and Croatia); however, when you looked at it racially there was a huge disparity. Whites were at about 5.7, Hispanics 5.5, Asians 4.8 and African-Americans were 13.5, almost 240% higher than whites. It's crazy stuff man, you should read about it.

(FTR; I used they instead of her or him in order to preserve anonymity lol).

Reactions: 9 users
Hyperachievers froth at the mouth at the idea that someone, somehow, could possibly be admitted to medical school over them with lesser stats. They consistently fail to understand the concept that while admissions is a meritocratic process, not all merit is based upon numbers. A person's story and background is also part of the admissions package.

I've noticed that ire is always focused on near mythical rich black kids who are the ones taking advantage of this process. URMs at my school are decidedly not in that demographic.

EDIT: one more late night thought: the people who scream the loudest about URMs often display an entitlement mentality. No one, and I mean no one, is entitled to a seat in medical school. it is a privilege and not a reward for having good grades and/or being a good student.
READ IT, people. READ.

Why is this even a conversation? Everyone knows that the most qualified person should get the job/seat. Of all professions medicine is a field where ability/intellect should always be put before something as arbitrary as skin color. AA has without doubt indirectly caused patients harm and suffering just in the name of "diversity" but of course people who gain an advantage by being a urm will never admit to this since they know they could not compete if the playing field was level.

Why is this even a conversation? Everyone knows that the most qualified person should get the job/seat. Of all professions medicine is a field where ability/intellect should always be put before something as arbitrary as skin color. AA has without doubt indirectly caused patients harm and suffering just in the name of "diversity" but of course people who gain an advantage by being a urm will never admit to this since they know they could not compete if the playing field was level.
Because some people with the highest stats would make HORRIBLE doctors.

You sound upset. Like the moment things aren't in YOUR favor, you'll throw a hissy fit. Settle down.

This heap of garbage you typed requires way more explanation than you gave.

How are you measuring qualified? Do you actually know what makes a good Physician? What is it that causes you to think that someone who passes the numerous tests required to become a Physician would not at least be a competent one? Who said skin color was being put before ability/intellect? Why are you mentioning AA? Why are you equating diversity and AA? Did you not read the numerous posts where people acknowledged an advantage to being a URM in medical school admissions? Where is your evidence that AA(again why are you equating AA with diversity and URM's?) is harming patients? The playing field was never level before what you incorrectly state as AA, but what makes you think if the playing field were actually level I could not compete with you? (See first question)

Reactions: 8 users

Listen, this is my thinking: I don't want to be accepted BECAUSE I am black, but I don't want to be discriminated against and treated unjustly for that very same reason. Again, since you have an issue with how things are now, please suggest a realistic approach or something practical that will benefit everyone as a whole.

Listen, this is my thinking: I don't want to be accepted BECAUSE I am black, but I don't want to be discriminated against and treated unjustly for that very same reason. Again, since you have an issue with how things are now, please suggest a realistic approach or something practical that will benefit everyone as a whole.

race blind admissions

The applicant (who happens to be black) still gets accepted over the applicant who is ORM with better stats. Would you still chalk it up as unfair? Or would there be no issue with this result.

The applicant (who happens to be black) still gets accepted over the applicant who is ORM with better stats. Would you still chalk it up as unfair? Or would there be no issue with this result.

if statistically it still happened to be the case that URM applicants had significantly higher odds of being accepted over ORMs at all points on the gpa/mcat spectrum? I think there would be a considerable case for saying the admissions wasn't as race blind as it claimed to be, unless of course you hypothesize that URM applicants are all just that much better at interviewing than ORM. Are you suggesting that URM applicants are significantly better at interviewing?

No, I do not hypothesize that URM applicants are better at interviewing, I would have stated that. It does show, however that even if the applicant got in based on race-blind admissions...it still would be difficult to accept that the applicant might have just been a better fit for the university. That is the point that I am making.

No, I do not hypothesize that URM applicants are better at interviewing, I would have stated that. It does show, however that even if the applicant got in based on race-blind admissions...it still would be difficult to accept that the applicant might have just been a better fit for the university. That is the point that I am making.
I see the confusion, you are speaking of singular applicants...I am speaking of the applicant pool at large

You are right on. You know it. I know it. They know it. Race-based anything is wrong and illegal, med school admission or the police (this quote from someone here on SDN I read about). The Constitution / Bill of Rights never says it is ok to discriminate anyone based on race, sex, religion, or national origin.

Yes I know it is ok for them to discriminate other people or benefiting from the discrimination. You and I can sit here all day to point out every wrong in their arguments. But they will not listen to people like you and I because they are benefiting from this wrong doing. Their only supporters are themselves and the people who are playing the game of political correctness for for their selfish gains.

But you know the people who have got screwed the most from this race-based admission ?? Asian Americans. Their only fault is that they work harder and do not sit there for a handout.

http://www.thecrimson.com/admissions/article/2014/4/30/asian-american-admissions-discrimination/

The pendulum swung too far to the right in the past, then too far to the left now. This left swinging like the right swinging will not last very long. What right will be right at the end. This will be corrected.

You and I want change. Take action.

http://www.ibtimes.com/harvard-affi...ools-sued-over-discriminatory-college-1725064

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2f44...rd-and-unc-sued-over-their-admission-policies

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-11-17/harvard-unc-sued-over-race-based-admissions

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/11/18/law-suit-admissions-alleged-discrimination/

https://www.google.com/search?q=2013 Fisher vs. University of Texas&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=amendment to the Michigan constitution that prohibits the use of affirmative action by public universities&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=amendment to the Michigan constitution that prohibits the use of affirmative action by public universities&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=california that prohibits the use of affirmative action by public universities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_209

Last edited:
concise.jpg

@oldstock please refrain from the usage of words such as "they". You're upset, we get that... I respect your point of view, and I do believe that your feelings should spark up a desire to change things. You are entitled to your feelings, just make sure that you are directing them appropriately.

Those blacks always lookin' for a handout
You are right on. You know it. I know it. They know it. Race-based anything is wrong and illegal, med school admission or the police (this quote from someone here on SDN I read about). The Constitution / Bill of Rights never says it is ok to discriminate anyone based on race, sex, religion, or national origin.

Yes I know it is ok for them to discriminate other people or benefiting from the discrimination. You and I can sit here all day to point out every wrong in their arguments. But they will not listen to people like you and I because they are benefiting from this wrong doing. Their only supporters are themselves and the people who are playing the game of political correctness for for their selfish gains.

But you know the people who have got screwed the most from this race-based admission ?? Asian Americans. Their only fault is that they work harder and do not sit there for a handout.

http://www.thecrimson.com/admissions/article/2014/4/30/asian-american-admissions-discrimination/

The pendulum swung too far to the right in the past, then too far to the left now. This left swinging like the right swinging will not last very long. What right will be right at the end. This will be corrected.

http://www.ibtimes.com/harvard-affi...ools-sued-over-discriminatory-college-1725064

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2f44...rd-and-unc-sued-over-their-admission-policies

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-11-17/harvard-unc-sued-over-race-based-admissions

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/11/18/law-suit-admissions-alleged-discrimination/

https://www.google.com/search?q=2013 Fisher vs. University of Texas&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=amendment to the Michigan constitution that prohibits the use of affirmative action by public universities&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=amendment to the Michigan constitution that prohibits the use of affirmative action by public universities&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=california that prohibits the use of affirmative action by public universities

Ahahahaha.

This is so funny. Watching racists get riled up about the "discrimination" they face. I could do this all day.

To be honest, before I applied this cycle I had no idea that being a URM in medical school applications actually gives you a boost (I'm not really sure how big a boost this is and personally, I don't think it's that significant, but from the widely shared AAMC table we know this is true that a slight advantage does exist and no one is arguing against that). But affirmative action in the medical school application process is probably the only affirmative action policy that I've seen work. And by "work" I mean, benefit U.S. racial minorities, other than asians of course.

In the work field and in undergraduate admissions and in any other institution where AA is implemented, the main beneficiaries of AA are white women. Not all people of color. Not URM. White women. And this is verifiable by an easy google search: "Who benefits the most from affirmative action?" If you can't be bothered to look for yourself, here are a few reputable sources:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/12/us/affirmative-action-fast-facts/
http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/17/affirmative-action-has-helped-white-women-more-than-anyone/
http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/the-death-of-affirmative-action-part-i/44860

I guess my point is medicine is one of the few fields that has an AA policy in place that actually benefits minorities most, if even slightly. Even then, it's not like URM are making up a huge number of medical school seats (only 15% of enrollment goes to URM Source: http://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/2012/12/hlaw1-1212.html [Table 1]).

So my question is, why do ORM begrudge URM 15% of available seats? You all understand very well the socio-political history of this country that has barred people of color from accessing capital, resources, and average standards of education. You all understand that there are systemic disadvantages ingrained into U.S. institutions that actively - currently, presently - create this lack of access for people of color. And so you are all aware that if medical schools decided to only admit applicants based solely on stats, that that 15% of medical school seats going to URM would decrease drastically. So I have to ask again, why is it that ORM begrudge URM this slight piece of the pie?

Luckily for all of us, medical institutions have a much greater grasp on all this and really don't care what a few angry and jaded (and to be honest, racist) SDN forum members have to say about medical schools trying to diversify the medical workforce {which can only be a positive}

P.S. Seeing as the application process doesn't stand to change any time soon (ha!), URM applicants/students - stop feeling as if you have to prove yourselves to your peers. You only have to do well in medical school and do well on your boards and impress the people with the power to admit you into residencies. Stop engaging with racists on forums - they're just upset their beloved racial hierarchy is not being upheld. Think about your blood pressure, keep scrolling. We must outlive these demons.

The Constitution/Bill of rights doesn't say it's okay to discriminate against anyone based on race, sex, religion, or national origin. You're right, but it happens all the time. What country do you live in? Definitely, not America. You're off in la-la land, come back to the real world. It's not okay for anyone to discriminate and I'm not sure how you can believe minorities are truly benefiting from affirmative action. Sure, some do, but not the majority. Although, the majority of white/Caucasian citizens have and are still continuously benefiting from discrimination against minorities.

What selfish gains?

I've read through most of the thread. I've noticed you and a few others are the only ones not open to any other ideas or "facts" other than your own. Why would anyone listen to "people like you"? You're clueless. Very, very clueless. Also, why do you have so much animosity against a group of people? Not every minority is waiting around for a handout. I'm definitely not. If there is a color-blind policy for medical school admissions, it wouldn't stop me from attempting to become a doctor. I think that is true for most minorities trying to go to medical school. Also, if I don't get accepted I will only blame myself. I'm not going to blame the color-blind policy.

This has nothing to do with medical school or affirmative action. You know it, I know it, and "they" know it. If it did your argument wouldn't be so similar to what KKK members have said (look up some videos), Fox news; to a lot of the comments online about minorities (mostly blacks) on yahoo, youtube, facebook, etc... Most have nothing to do with medical school. Ironically, Asian Americans are constantly mentioned when talking about other minorities (mostly blacks). I don't get it. It's confusing. I think you can attempt to rid America of AA, but I'm not so sure you're going to accomplish anything. There's a reason as to why it exists.

Lastly, come up with better arguments...or at least have some originality. "You people" are all the same.

You'll grow out of it, man. My classmates were all laughing because somebody dug up a facebook post from a classmate back from senior year of hs and they were ranting about how unfair affirmative action is and how vehemently against it they are and now they're probably one of the most outspoken social justice proponents in a class full of such people.

I asked the individual what changed their mind. They said that they went to college and were exposed to a lot of people from backgrounds different than theirs and they had to address their inherent privileges, biases, and misconceptions. They learned about systemic social injustice, the history of what has led to these injustices, and the prevalence of them still in society. They then couldn't keep from noticing these issues in their every day lives and their mindset shifted.

You should consider reading up on healthcare disparities, it really puts a microscope on a widespread problem. One statistical point that always stood out to me was infant mortality rates. Overall in the country it was 6.9 per 1000 babies (the paper was older - I think we're down to about 5.2 per 1000 now which is still horrible and puts us at 34th, right behind Cuba and Croatia); however, when you looked at it racially there was a huge disparity. Whites were at about 5.7, Hispanics 5.5, Asians 4.8 and African-Americans were 13.5, almost 240% higher than whites. It's crazy stuff man, you should read about it.

(FTR; I used they instead of her or him in order to preserve anonymity lol).
As a minority (albeit not an "underrepresented" one) whose ancestry to this country dates back to only 1992, why do you think it's my responsibility to prop up African-Americans - SPECIFICALLY? I may as well tell you to read about the "bamboo ceiling" phenomenon or Asian-American's low political access and political representation. When factoring education and experience which US minority group typically has the lowest representation in leadership positions in both government and business? And how often have you heard anyone care?

As a minority (albeit not an "underrepresented" one) whose ancestry to this country dates back to only 1992, why do you think it's my responsibility to prop up African-Americans - SPECIFICALLY? I may as well tell you to read about the "bamboo ceiling" phenomenon or Asian-American's low political access and political representation. When factoring education and experience which US minority group typically has the lowest representation in leadership positions in both government and business? And how often have you heard anyone care?
I think you're projecting. No where in their comment was it implied that you have an obligation to "prop up African-Americans" (whatever the hell that means). They were suggesting reading up on one of the thousands of books and articles and studies on racial disparities in health care because they exist. They weren't saying only African-Americans experience racial disparities in health care - it just so happened that the example he gave was an extreme disparity for black patients.

Anyway, you're very right that Asian-Americans have very little visibility/representation in politics and business, but if you're so upset that it's an issue that no one's paying attention to, then start talking about it. But you don't have to tear down one minority group's issue to spread awareness to your own. It's called solidarity.

Ahahahaha.

This is so funny. Watching racists get riled up about the "discrimination" they face. I could do this all day.

To be honest, before I applied this cycle I had no idea that being a URM in medical school applications actually gives you a boost (I'm not really sure how big a boost this is and personally, I don't think it's that significant, but from the widely shared AAMC table we know this is true that a slight advantage does exist and no one is arguing against that). But affirmative action in the medical school application process is probably the only affirmative action policy that I've seen work. And by "work" I mean, benefit U.S. racial minorities, other than asians of course.

In the work field and in undergraduate admissions and in any other institution where AA is implemented, the main beneficiaries of AA are white women. Not all people of color. Not URM. White women. And this is verifiable by an easy google search: "Who benefits the most from affirmative action?" If you can't be bothered to look for yourself, here are a few reputable sources:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/12/us/affirmative-action-fast-facts/
http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/17/affirmative-action-has-helped-white-women-more-than-anyone/
http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/the-death-of-affirmative-action-part-i/44860

I guess my point is medicine is one of the few fields that has an AA policy in place that actually benefits minorities most, if even slightly. Even then, it's not like URM are making up a huge number of medical school seats (only 15% of enrollment goes to URM Source: http://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/2012/12/hlaw1-1212.html [Table 1]).

So my question is, why do ORM begrudge URM 15% of available seats? You all understand very well the socio-political history of this country that has barred people of color from accessing capital, resources, and average standards of education. You all understand that there are systemic disadvantages ingrained into U.S. institutions that actively - currently, presently - create this lack of access for people of color. And so you are all aware that if medical schools decided to only admit applicants based solely on stats, that that 15% of medical school seats going to URM would decrease drastically. So I have to ask again, why is it that ORM begrudge URM this slight piece of the pie?

Luckily for all of us, medical institutions have a much greater grasp on all this and really don't care what a few angry and jaded (and to be honest, racist) SDN forum members have to say about medical schools trying to diversify the medical workforce {which can only be a positive}
Some of us speak out about the issue because discrimination by thw government is wrong, even if you think it is well intentioned