Anti-URM sentiment on preAllo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is an "interesting" thread to begin with.

People are asking "why are whites and ORM, who work their asses off to achieve their dreams of entering a highly competitive field, so upset that URMs can take their spots for half the effort/stats." gee whiz i wonder why LOL

SDN users, of all people, should know about how difficult it is for whites and ORM to get into medical school. To be rejected becasue your spot was taken on the basis of race is sickening to me. Imagine all that studying, volunteering, dreams of being a surgeon being thrown down the drain on basis of race. That is disgusting.

Like I said, I personally dont care if a URM takes advantage of the AA system. If an opportunity is there you take it. What does irk me is when they act like it's fair in American society, and then they go on to act like ORMs feeling upset is unwarranted.

I believe you are 100% sincere. From your perspective, the only difference between an URM and ORM is hard work or intelligence. You probably feel every URM stole a seat an ORM was entitled to, LOL!

I'm not a fan of AA but your post convinced me it's important. Public service needs people with different life experiences and perspectives.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t do such large quotes often, so bare with me on the bullets in the order of which you wrote.

-Again, this discussion is not about Affirmative Action, you seem to confuse the “URM advantage” with Affirmative Action through and through. There is no set quota of blacks, Mexicans, Native Americans or otherwise that are accepted each year. The advantage is in the forgiveness of lower stats, not even dividing further among HBCUs and Puerto Ricans schools, which take the largest numbers of minorities at the lowest stat levels. But you brought up Affirmative Action so I addressed it. As I said before no one has said AA is the most just policy to come into existence, and that stands. Simply meaning that it is obviously not perfect, no law is, it attempts to address some issues while creating others, which arguably every law does. My point is no one is declaring that AA is the ultimate answer to the problems institutionalized oppression has created in America. I agree that strides still have to be made; the root problems have to be better addressed. In all honesty, I do not support AA in many ways particularly because it is patchwork. In my opinion AA is a band-aid the US government can put on minorities to say, “there, all better”, as a way to pacify them, instilling the idea that somehow the government is trying it’s best to reach equality. In truth, it is the cheapest means to avoid true equality. True equality does not mean simply that AA goes away and now we all have equal opportunity. Rather it would require the government and all it’s people to ensure those opportunities are equal for all. This would mean changing the educational system, the healthcare system, and the political system, so that no group is unduly disadvantaged. True equality at this point in the game is expensive, and so the government will avoid it like the plague. You can’t say that getting rid of AA makes everything equal because it does not, minority neighborhoods would still be underserved, and their education will still be subpar, what is equal about that? You say that relevant factors such as financial and social environment are ignored. Are we talking about medical school admissions here? Obviously, they are not. But again you get compounded disadvantages with minorities because on average they are more likely to be in the lowest income brackets, live in the most drug and crime stricken neighborhoods and be the victims of abuse. An ORM who is poor and lives in a toxic environment is afforded advantages because there were many obstacles they had to overcome, and many are accepted on this basis. Why does SDN constantly talk about the “hook”, the story, the factors that led to poor grades at whatever point in undergrad? Well because everyone knows for a fact that all these things are taken into account, and it’s readily apparent in school stats. After all, half of the student had to below the average and half above no? What school that isn’t an HBCU has half minority classes?

A fact of a capitalistic society is that everyone will not be on the same level, true, but that is based on economic class that idea is only relevant however if everyone began on the same level to run the same race. This is not the case with minorities in America, when groups were purposely kept down because of their race. All of a sudden are they supposed to be able to run the same race while not receiving the same preparation? They are starting well below the peers, they have the steepest learning curve, and they have the most to overcome. There is inherent inequality because of this nation’s history, you cannot ignore history, the present is a product of it.

-Yes, you did in fact say they perform poorly in medical school. “can we look into why blacks do so poorly in high school, college and medical school?” Perhaps it was a Freudian slip…

Yes the reason for under-performance have to be addressed, and I have presented you with many underlying factors that require attention. This is a point of discussion, which I was trying to distinguish to you and the other poster because your previous posts took the point of; no such thing as privilege, everyone is equal so admission should be, woefully ignoring that there is a difference in academic success because there is inequality in education itself.

-The comment about targeting blacks was intended for freemontie, the quote is there, where his response said “here is an idea for my black SDN colleagues” etc. There was not specific discussion that led to blacks, he could have chosen to discuss URMs, since the topic is as you put URM advantage, but instead he focused on black members.

-There is a false attribution error, because a false attribution does not mean whether or not external factors play a role in anyone’s existence, it’s the degree to which you attribute internal and external. Here you highly attribute academic success on the individual, as if it was simply that the person chose not to study, and you underestimate the degree to which external factors such as racism, prejudice and oppression plays a role in said individual’s ability to perform. This is, quite obviously, a textbook definition of false attribution error.

-If you think whites or ORMs are not racist, okay sorry but you are simply unaware. I am married to a white man and face racism even with my in-laws. Racism ad the consequences of it is a live and well.

-The education system is racially oppressive because equal opportunities are not afforded to the majority of all races. It is n=1 because you are talking about one school. You claim this is in a low income, minority community, but that that it was free of any sign of racial prejudice, that it gave free tutoring, al the teachers were caring, and it had libraries, and computers for everyone. This is the perfect example of n=1, most low income public schools in minority areas have little or none of this! Are you that naïve to believe that your high school experience is shared across all the public high schools in America?

http://www.apa.org/ed/resources/racial-disparities.pdf

http://www.brookings.edu/research/articles/1998/03/spring-education-darling-hammond

The Color Line in American Education is also a great read, I have PDF access but you may be able to find it on Standford’s site.

-You seem to be coming to conclusions that have never been stated, did anyone say people get rejected from medical school because they are black? Yes if you are thinking of medical school you are at the university level now, your disadvantages have been in the road that has brought you there, and that continues to be there in university. At one point you want to discuss AA in its entirety, at the next you want to discuss URM advantage in medical school, you need to be able to discern then, which is applicable to which. Can a black person get denied a job because they are black? Yes, is happens everyday, does that happen in medical school? No, because most mission statements want to make racially inclusive physician population. If there were no URM advantage, or mission to make medicine representative, do you think a qualified applicant that was a minority would get deny admissions? If you think that would never happen you are again UNAWARE. College educated blacks are disproportionately unemployed than their counterparts. The general hiring population has proven time and time again that if the race on an applicants resume is changed with all else being equal, the white or ORM is more likely to get the job than the Hispanic or black candidate. The adcoms, hiring private practices, hospital HRs or what have you are no less prejudice than the general population, the result would be the same. Where did I lose you here?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/weekinreview/06Luo.html?_r=0

http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

http://selfuni.wordpress.com/2013/1...ds-to-be-white-job-offers-suddenly-skyrocket/

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover

-I do not choose what is merit-based or not. Reading comprehension is useful here. I made an observation of what IS and what IS NOT. Comparing apples to oranges proves nothing because they are not the same. Making medicine a meritocracy would not produce a physician force that most of us would care to see. The more holistic the admissions process is the better physician force will be produced.

-You as a medical student, cannot define what the most important aspect of being a physician is, you are not a physician, so perhaps continue to educate yourself first.

-The point with the fairy god-mother is the fact that you invoked that minorities are “given the opportunity to dominate sports”, no one has said Asians are given the opportunity to dominate medicine, that is seriously illogical. Not sure how you don’t see fallacy in such a statement.

- “If someone is foolish enough to believe that the ghetto is all they can be, then that's his problem.” You are seriously lacking in social competency, yes of course this is a problem, but it only became a problem because of racial oppression. DO you think they just woke up one day and said that is all they can aspire to be? Would you say that someone suffering from Stockholm syndrome should not be helped because that is just his or her problem? The human psyche is a complex thing, and years of reaffirming beliefs that you may think are so obviously “foolish” is not so simple for the person suffering from it is more like a fact of life.

-There is white privilege. Sorry that you are blind to it. Usually those that are privy to it are the ones who don’t see it, but you claim you are discriminated against for being Afghan, yet don’t see any white privilege. What are whites discriminated against for? What negative attributes are they stereotyped to have?

The question asked about switching races did not say, would you be in favor of AA if you could change your race to black. The purpose was to see if, in fact, there is no white privilege, and no racial oppression in America would you choose to be an African American. Since everything we are discussing is on average, than you have to adopt the profile of the average black not cherry pick the ones with the best home environment and financial security.

I asked my husband the same question, if you could switch places with a black person in America would you do it. It took him all of two seconds to respond no. And no not because he is racist obviously, but because he, as a blonde haired, green-eyed, white male is fully aware of all the privileges he has had throughout his life. He knows many of the opportunities he has been given have been a result of the color of his skin. He cited for example the mistakes he made as a teen, like parties drinking etc., if he had been black, it is very likely he would have gone to jail, or maybe he would have been dead. When he was in trouble, his lawyer father would not have received those courtesy calls that got him out of sticky situations, police officers would not have been patient with him and his friends disrespect and underage drinking. He is well aware that with half black children he will have to explain to his son that in tough situations he must relinquish his rights and keep his mouth shut if only to ensure he does not become a victim of police brutality.

-I have never implied that whites and ORMs must pay the price for a culture. Seriously, this is becoming exhausting. Let’s look at a different angle when one ORM, X is chosen over another Y because X had a harder life and lower grades do you say it is unfair that Y must suffer the consequences of X having a harder life because Y has higher stats. Or is this situation okay? Do you realize this situation happens more often than the URMs being accepted with lower stats?

- I never said my experience in high school justifies AA, I’m not sure where you got that. The point was 1. Every minority high school is not like yours where the teacher’s smile is sunshine, and it’s always raining opportunities. You implied that your experience is what the minority high school experience is like and educational disparities do not exist, which has been proven false in many studies… Furthermore it was to illustrate that my husband, a white male, thought that our high school was amazing, helpful teachers, etc. and I did not have that same experience and that it is directly related to the racial group we belonged to. So your perspective, as a non-URM of your school, is just that, one perspective, of one school, it is in no ways grounds to dismiss the existence of unequal education. Now you further imply that the Chinese kid worked harder than I did. Well that’s not always the case either. For example, I was removed out of my AP Lit class and placed in another after I proved to my administrator that my teacher was being unduly critical of all of my work, giving me C’s on papers, continuously telling me during class that she had no clue how I expected to even score a 1 on the test. The very same teacher that on the first day of the year insisted I must have come to the wrong class, repeating “this is AP Lit, are you sure”, even requesting a printout from the guidance office showing that the class was on my schedule, yet everyone else walked in and seated themselves without a question. When she threatened to fail me due to my “poor writing” in early spring I had enough. Low and behold after taking the test a few weeks later I get a 5 on my AP Lit, and AP Lang (though I never took the AP Lang course). I can guarantee you I had to work harder than my white peers in that class, and in many others in my education. Is this the experience of every minority? Probably not, but you just made a baseless assumption. It’s likely if I depended on her, my educator, I would not have performed well on the test later, making prejudice a direct cause of poor academic success.

- Making negative assumptions and judgments in “general terms”, is the definition of stereotyping and prejudice.

-You are a medical student, and you have concluded that the healthcare system is broken because- it is Obama’s fault. I guess it was perfect prior to ACA, or are you just trying to be brief here? Surely this is not serious. I am referring to the underserved, healthcare disparities, etc.

-I think I see a common thread here, you think the judicial system is near perfect, that social expectations are non-issues (Yikes to the plight of the LGBTQ community in this country, why are they complaining? The law is there to support the sovereign individual o.0), and we are “95% more accepting” (source please) than the rest of the world. Of course you would believe we also have racial equality, educational equality…. Why aren’t we singing Kumbayah yet?

-I don’t believe you know anything about me to know whether I fight for the rights of Native Americans. Or why you would assume I don’t care about Native Americans because I don’t share their ethnicity… projecting perhaps. Sorry to break it to you but I wholeheartedly support policy that will improve the livelihood of Native Americans. I do not believe in reservations in the manner in which they have be preserved, but I also do not believe that they should be forced to assimilate with the general population if they do not want to. “Fighting to get their land back” is impractical at this point, because as you can see the continent is fully settled and Native Americans rightfully settled this land from coast to coast. I do, however, believe that healthcare disparities, educational inequalities, the lack of proper housing and facilities on reservations, and the lack of access to technology are critical issues that must be addressed. I believe in creating opportunities for all disadvantaged groups, and am actively working on addressing those issues for all minorities. (Though my research is more centered on immigrant populations)

-“It is not hard to be completely disgusted by the fact that you are willing to reject an ORM or white person from something just because of his skin colour.” An ORM student is not rejected because of his race. He is rejected because there are many more applicants than there are seats and it is a seller’s market. A URM student may be granted admission because of the value they add as a URM to a stated mission/goal. The acceptance of one does not equate the rejection of the other. If an applicant was favored because they spoke Spanish, were all the other applicants who were rejected, rejected simply because they did not speak Spanish? No, they were rejected because what ever they possessed did not add something being sought in creating a class. There are many, many factors taken into account, an ORM student is not rejected simply for being ORM, otherwise there would be no ORM students.

-“It's also funny how youre playing off professional athletes as victims too, now LOL.” You inserted an illogical argument where it did not belong; I informed you that the history of sports in America is one of exploitation of minorities. You insist they are “given” their dominance in sports, a meritocracy, yet they are not. Don’t be affronted by the fact that there are no parallels in this argument to professional sports. Professional athletes are no longer victims, the fact remains that exploitation have pushed African Americans into sports, since you did not seem to understand where there representation came from… I do not choose what is merit-based or not. Reading comprehension is useful here. I made an observation of what IS and what IS NOT. Comparing apples to oranges proves nothing because they are not the same. Making medicine a meritocracy would not produce a physician force that most of us would care to see. The more holistic the admissions process is the better physician force will be produced.

The point with the fairy god-mother is the fact that you invoked that minorities are “given the opportunity to dominate sports”, no one has said Asians are given the opportunity to dominate medicine, that is seriously illogical. Not sure how you don’t see fallacy in such a statement.

-You as a medical student, cannot define what the most important aspect of being a physician is, you are not a physician, so perhaps continue to educate yourself first.

Reactions: 10 users
:rolleyes:
If you're not even going to address the POSSIBILITY that poor levels of black medical education attainment is NOT entirely external forces- than I have no interest conversing with you. If you are so blinded by a persecution complex that every shortfall is explained by evil whites/asians persecuting the URM community- than f- this discussion. Seriously.

BTW- you wanted evidence that blacks do worse in medical school? Get real. A group doesn't trail behind in primary, secondary, college and then suddenly attain equal pairing. You can't admit a group with huge concessions on academic performance (affirmative action) and expect equal performance. According to this (albeit old data- find something more recent and prove me wrong- although people like you keep such things from being published) - whites fail to graduate medical school at a rate of 0.7% vs. 6.7% for blacks.

I hope you win your fight against the racist white professors/TAs/adcoms. :rolleyes:

First, I'm not sure where your obviously emotional response is coming from. This conversation is for learning, though it is hard for any side to change their opinions on an online forum, it is still beneficial to attain some level of discussion on important issues like this.

I explicitly stated that intrinsic and extrinsic motivational factors are at play, but a false attribution error is made when people place blame entirely on the individual. I have no persecution complex, I have already stated as an immigrant, I have had a different experience than native minorities, part of that is that I do not have an internalized inferiority complex and all the toxic thoughts that come with it. Still, I have had to overcome tremendous racial barriers and I am self-aware enough to realize that someone with a different mindset would not have reached to the point that I have, most likely they would never think it is possible. Such a person would be one that has seen the oppression of American society for generations.

Your comment about my fight against racist white professors/TAs/adcoms is seated in ignorance and I hope you can see that. I face racism with knowledge, I face racism with confidence, and I face racism with the assurance that I am better than the person that chooses to be racist. I do not seek out racism in my life, I simply overcome it when it happens. Perhaps if you lived a life where you were constantly discriminated against you would understand that it is just something fantasized in movies.

Also that data was not just published seven years ago, but worse were based on an entering class from twenty years ago. Seriously, let's think about the disparities for minorities 20 years... yeah it would help to have more recent data. I'm not sure what "people like [me]" do to prevent that. Several international studies have found that race did not play an important part in attrition in North America, or any other continent. Interestingly enough they found minor significance in males underperforming females I believe.:rolleyes: ("Factors associated with attrition" is one I believe)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t do such large quotes often, so bare with me on the bullets in the order of which you wrote.

-Again, this discussion is not about Affirmative Action, you seem to confuse the “URM advantage” with Affirmative Action through and through. There is no set quota of blacks, Mexicans, Native Americans or otherwise that are accepted each year. The advantage is in the forgiveness of lower stats, not even dividing further among HBCUs and Puerto Ricans schools, which take the largest numbers of minorities at the lowest stat levels. But you brought up Affirmative Action so I addressed it. As I said before no one has said AA is the most just policy to come into existence, and that stands. Simply meaning that it is obviously not perfect, no law is, it attempts to address some issues while creating others, which arguably every law does. My point is no one is declaring that AA is the ultimate answer to the problems institutionalized oppression has created in America. I agree that strides still have to be made; the root problems have to be better addressed. In all honesty, I do not support AA in many ways particularly because it is patchwork. In my opinion AA is a band-aid the US government can put on minorities to say, “there, all better”, as a way to pacify them, instilling the idea that somehow the government is trying it’s best to reach equality. In truth, it is the cheapest means to avoid true equality. True equality does not mean simply that AA goes away and now we all have equal opportunity. Rather it would require the government and all it’s people to ensure those opportunities are equal for all. This would mean changing the educational system, the healthcare system, and the political system, so that no group is unduly disadvantaged. True equality at this point in the game is expensive, and so the government will avoid it like the plague. You can’t say that getting rid of AA makes everything equal because it does not, minority neighborhoods would still be underserved, and their education will still be subpar, what is equal about that? You say that relevant factors such as financial and social environment are ignored. Are we talking about medical school admissions here? Obviously, they are not. But again you get compounded disadvantages with minorities because on average they are more likely to be in the lowest income brackets, live in the most drug and crime stricken neighborhoods and be the victims of abuse. An ORM who is poor and lives in a toxic environment is afforded advantages because there were many obstacles they had to overcome, and many are accepted on this basis. Why does SDN constantly talk about the “hook”, the story, the factors that led to poor grades at whatever point in undergrad? Well because everyone knows for a fact that all these things are taken into account, and it’s readily apparent in school stats. After all, half of the student had to below the average and half above no? What school that isn’t an HBCU has half minority classes?

A fact of a capitalistic society is that everyone will not be on the same level, true, but that is based on economic class that idea is only relevant however if everyone began on the same level to run the same race. This is not the case with minorities in America, when groups were purposely kept down because of their race. All of a sudden are they supposed to be able to run the same race while not receiving the same preparation? They are starting well below the peers, they have the steepest learning curve, and they have the most to overcome. There is inherent inequality because of this nation’s history, you cannot ignore history, the present is a product of it.

-Yes, you did in fact say they perform poorly in medical school. “can we look into why blacks do so poorly in high school, college and medical school?” Perhaps it was a Freudian slip…

Yes the reason for under-performance have to be addressed, and I have presented you with many underlying factors that require attention. This is a point of discussion, which I was trying to distinguish to you and the other poster because your previous posts took the point of; no such thing as privilege, everyone is equal so admission should be, woefully ignoring that there is a difference in academic success because there is inequality in education itself.

-The comment about targeting blacks was intended for freemontie, the quote is there, where his response said “here is an idea for my black SDN colleagues” etc. There was not specific discussion that led to blacks, he could have chosen to discuss URMs, since the topic is as you put URM advantage, but instead he focused on black members.

-There is a false attribution error, because a false attribution does not mean whether or not external factors play a role in anyone’s existence, it’s the degree to which you attribute internal and external. Here you highly attribute academic success on the individual, as if it was simply that the person chose not to study, and you underestimate the degree to which external factors such as racism, prejudice and oppression plays a role in said individual’s ability to perform. This is, quite obviously, a textbook definition of false attribution error.

-If you think whites or ORMs are not racist, okay sorry but you are simply unaware. I am married to a white man and face racism even with my in-laws. Racism ad the consequences of it is a live and well.

-The education system is racially oppressive because equal opportunities are not afforded to the majority of all races. It is n=1 because you are talking about one school. You claim this is in a low income, minority community, but that that it was free of any sign of racial prejudice, that it gave free tutoring, al the teachers were caring, and it had libraries, and computers for everyone. This is the perfect example of n=1, most low income public schools in minority areas have little or none of this! Are you that naïve to believe that your high school experience is shared across all the public high schools in America?

http://www.apa.org/ed/resources/racial-disparities.pdf

http://www.brookings.edu/research/articles/1998/03/spring-education-darling-hammond

The Color Line in American Education is also a great read, I have PDF access but you may be able to find it on Standford’s site.

-You seem to be coming to conclusions that have never been stated, did anyone say people get rejected from medical school because they are black? Yes if you are thinking of medical school you are at the university level now, your disadvantages have been in the road that has brought you there, and that continues to be there in university. At one point you want to discuss AA in its entirety, at the next you want to discuss URM advantage in medical school, you need to be able to discern then, which is applicable to which. Can a black person get denied a job because they are black? Yes, is happens everyday, does that happen in medical school? No, because most mission statements want to make racially inclusive physician population. If there were no URM advantage, or mission to make medicine representative, do you think a qualified applicant that was a minority would get deny admissions? If you think that would never happen you are again UNAWARE. College educated blacks are disproportionately unemployed than their counterparts. The general hiring population has proven time and time again that if the race on an applicants resume is changed with all else being equal, the white or ORM is more likely to get the job than the Hispanic or black candidate. The adcoms, hiring private practices, hospital HRs or what have you are no less prejudice than the general population, the result would be the same. Where did I lose you here?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/weekinreview/06Luo.html?_r=0

http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

http://selfuni.wordpress.com/2013/1...ds-to-be-white-job-offers-suddenly-skyrocket/

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover

-I do not choose what is merit-based or not. Reading comprehension is useful here. I made an observation of what IS and what IS NOT. Comparing apples to oranges proves nothing because they are not the same. Making medicine a meritocracy would not produce a physician force that most of us would care to see. The more holistic the admissions process is the better physician force will be produced.

-The point with the fairy god-mother is the fact that you invoked that minorities are “given the opportunity to dominate sports”, no one has said Asians are given the opportunity to dominate medicine, that is seriously illogical. Not sure how you don’t see fallacy in such a statement.

- “If someone is foolish enough to believe that the ghetto is all they can be, then that's his problem.” You are seriously lacking in social competency, yes of course this is a problem, but it only became a problem because of racial oppression. DO you think they just woke up one day and said that is all they can aspire to be? Would you say that someone suffering from Stockholm syndrome should not be helped because that is just his or her problem? The human psyche is a complex thing, and years of reaffirming beliefs that you may think are so obviously “foolish” is not so simple for the person suffering from it is more like a fact of life.

-There is white privilege. Sorry that you are blind to it. Usually those that are privy to it are the ones who don’t see it, but you claim you are discriminated against for being Afghan, yet don’t see any white privilege. What are whites discriminated against for? What negative attributes are they stereotyped to have?

The question asked about switching races did not say, would you be in favor of AA if you could change your race to black. The purpose was to see if, in fact, there is no white privilege, and no racial oppression in America would you choose to be an African American. Since everything we are discussing is on average, than you have to adopt the profile of the average black not cherry pick the ones with the best home environment and financial security.

I asked my husband the same question, if you could switch places with a black person in America would you do it. It took him all of two seconds to respond no. And no not because he is racist obviously, but because he, as a blonde haired, green-eyed, white male is fully aware of all the privileges he has had throughout his life. He knows many of the opportunities he has been given have been a result of the color of his skin. He cited for example the mistakes he made as a teen, like parties drinking etc., if he had been black, it is very likely he would have gone to jail, or maybe he would have been dead. When he was in trouble, his lawyer father would not have received those courtesy calls that got him out of sticky situations, police officers would not have been patient with him and his friends disrespect and underage drinking. He is well aware that with half black children he will have to explain to his son that in tough situations he must relinquish his rights and keep his mouth shut if only to ensure he does not become a victim of police brutality.

-I have never implied that whites and ORMs must pay the price for a culture. Seriously, this is becoming exhausting. Let’s look at a different angle when one ORM, X is chosen over another Y because X had a harder life and lower grades do you say it is unfair that Y must suffer the consequences of X having a harder life because Y has higher stats. Or is this situation okay? Do you realize this situation happens more often than the URMs being accepted with lower stats?

- I never said my experience in high school justifies AA, I’m not sure where you got that. The point was 1. Every minority high school is not like yours where the teacher’s smile is sunshine, and it’s always raining opportunities. You implied that your experience is what the minority high school experience is like and educational disparities do not exist, which has been proven false in many studies… Furthermore it was to illustrate that my husband, a white male, thought that our high school was amazing, helpful teachers, etc. and I did not have that same experience and that it is directly related to the racial group we belonged to. So your perspective, as a non-URM of your school, is just that, one perspective, of one school, it is in no ways grounds to dismiss the existence of unequal education. Now you further imply that the Chinese kid worked harder than I did. Well that’s not always the case either. For example, I was removed out of my AP Lit class and placed in another after I proved to my administrator that my teacher was being unduly critical of all of my work, giving me C’s on papers, continuously telling me during class that she had no clue how I expected to even score a 1 on the test. The very same teacher that on the first day of the year insisted I must have come to the wrong class, repeating “this is AP Lit, are you sure”, even requesting a printout from the guidance office showing that the class was on my schedule, yet everyone else walked in and seated themselves without a question. When she threatened to fail me due to my “poor writing” in early spring I had enough. Low and behold after taking the test a few weeks later I get a 5 on my AP Lit, and AP Lang (though I never took the AP Lang course). I can guarantee you I had to work harder than my white peers in that class, and in many others in my education. Is this the experience of every minority? Probably not, but you just made a baseless assumption. It’s likely if I depended on her, my educator, I would not have performed well on the test later, making prejudice a direct cause of poor academic success.

- Making negative assumptions and judgments in “general terms”, is the definition of stereotyping and prejudice.

-You are a medical student, and you have concluded that the healthcare system is broken because- it is Obama’s fault. I guess it was perfect prior to ACA, or are you just trying to be brief here? Surely this is not serious. I am referring to the underserved, healthcare disparities, etc.

-I think I see a common thread here, you think the judicial system is near perfect, that social expectations are non-issues (Yikes to the plight of the LGBTQ community in this country, why are they complaining? The law is there to support the sovereign individual o.0), and we are “95% more accepting” (source please) than the rest of the world. Of course you would believe we also have racial equality, educational equality…. Why aren’t we singing Kumbayah yet?

-I don’t believe you know anything about me to know whether I fight for the rights of Native Americans. Or why you would assume I don’t care about Native Americans because I don’t share their ethnicity… projecting perhaps. Sorry to break it to you but I wholeheartedly support policy that will improve the livelihood of Native Americans. I do not believe in reservations in the manner in which they have be preserved, but I also do not believe that they should be forced to assimilate with the general population if they do not want to. “Fighting to get their land back” is impractical at this point, because as you can see the continent is fully settled and Native Americans rightfully settled this land from coast to coast. I do, however, believe that healthcare disparities, educational inequalities, the lack of proper housing and facilities on reservations, and the lack of access to technology are critical issues that must be addressed. I believe in creating opportunities for all disadvantaged groups, and am actively working on addressing those issues for all minorities. (Though my research is more centered on immigrant populations)

-“It is not hard to be completely disgusted by the fact that you are willing to reject an ORM or white person from something just because of his skin colour.” An ORM student is not rejected because of his race. He is rejected because there are many more applicants than there are seats and it is a seller’s market. A URM student may be granted admission because of the value they add as a URM to a stated mission/goal. The acceptance of one does not equate the rejection of the other. If an applicant was favored because they spoke Spanish, were all the other applicants who were rejected, rejected simply because they did not speak Spanish? No, they were rejected because what ever they possessed did not add something being sought in creating a class. There are many, many factors taken into account, an ORM student is not rejected simply for being ORM, otherwise there would be no ORM students.

-“It's also funny how youre playing off professional athletes as victims too, now LOL.” You inserted an illogical argument where it did not belong; I informed you that the history of sports in America is one of exploitation of minorities. You insist they are “given” their dominance in sports, a meritocracy, yet they are not. Don’t be affronted by the fact that there are no parallels in this argument to professional sports. Professional athletes are no longer victims, the fact remains that exploitation have pushed African Americans into sports, since you did not seem to understand where there representation came from… I do not choose what is merit-based or not. Reading comprehension is useful here. I made an observation of what IS and what IS NOT. Comparing apples to oranges proves nothing because they are not the same. Making medicine a meritocracy would not produce a physician force that most of us would care to see. The more holistic the admissions process is the better physician force will be produced.

The point with the fairy god-mother is the fact that you invoked that minorities are “given the opportunity to dominate sports”, no one has said Asians are given the opportunity to dominate medicine, that is seriously illogical. Not sure how you don’t see fallacy in such a statement.

Do you seriously expect somebody to respond to this 3,000+ word verbal vomit? Something about poor ORMs having advantages and your white blonde husband drinking?

:rolleyes:

First, I'm not sure where your obviously emotional response is coming from. This conversation is for learning, though it is hard for any side to change their opinions on an online forum, it is still beneficial to attain some level of discussion on important issues like this.

I explicitly stated that intrinsic and extrinsic motivational factors are at play, but a false attribution error is made when people place blame entirely on the individual. I have no persecution complex, I have already stated as an immigrant, I have had a different experience than native minorities, part of that is that I do not have an internalized inferiority complex and all the toxic thoughts that come with it. Still, I have had to overcome tremendous racial barriers and I am self-aware enough to realize that someone with a different mindset would not have reached to the point that I have, most likely they would never think it is possible. Such a person would be one that has seen the oppression of American society for generations.

Your comment about my fight against racist white professors/TAs/adcoms is seated in ignorance and I hope you can see that. I face racism with knowledge, I face racism with confidence, and I face racism with the assurance that I am better than the person that chooses to be racist. I do not seek out racism in my life, I simply overcome it when it happens. Perhaps if you lived a life where you were constantly discriminated against you would understand that it is just something fantasized in movies.

Also that data was not just published seven years ago, but worse were based on an entering class from twenty years ago. Seriously, let's think about the disparities for minorities 20 years... yeah it would help to have more recent data. I'm not sure what "people like [me]" do to prevent that. Several international studies have found that race did not play an important part in attrition in North America, or any other continent. Interestingly enough they found minor significance in males underperforming females I believe.:rolleyes: ("Factors associated with attrition" is one I believe)

link? International and yet focused on North America?
You've probably written over 5,000 words on this thread in just a few posts. As far as I can tell you've blamed black's low representation in medicine 100% on external factors. Is this how you view it? Does the African American community have anything they have to change- whatsoever?

You've probably written over 5,000 words on this thread in just a few posts. As far as I can tell you've blamed black's low representation in medicine 100% on external factors. Is this how you view it? Does the African American community have anything they have to change- whatsoever?

They just have to work harder. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you seriously expect somebody to respond to this 3,000+ word verbal vomit? Something about poor ORMs having advantages and your white blonde husband drinking?

I edited the post with the title, I won't bother to go database searching. Yes it was an international review, and the same was found in a meta analysis, and you know like most psychological research you can divide and organize data by many variables, including continent, country, gender, race. Not sure why you are surprised by this fact.

If you are incapable of having a decent exchange, refrain from responding to my posts, I don't enjoy juvenile arguments.

I edited the post with the title, I won't bother to go database searching. Yes it was an international review, and the same was found in a meta analysis, and you know like most psychological research you can divide and organize data by many variables, including continent, country, gender, race. Not sure why you are surprised by this fact.
You know why I'm surprised- because it makes common sense that a disparity in college performance would carry on to a disparity in med school performance (and maybe even widen).

Your original quote:
Several international studies have found that race did not play an important part in attrition in North America, or any other continent.

Find me one of these "international studies" on north america. Or perhaps stop making references to non-existent studies. I can't even fathom how such an "international review" would equate different academic performance variables across different countries.

Last edited:
Whitty Psyche,

I just saw how much energy and care you put into the very long post. How you spoke from your heart and your personal experience of you and the people you know. That writing must have taken a long time, a lot of care, and dedication, and energy, and loving across difference (it seems clear that the non-polarizing, nuanced thoughts have been shaped as well from the experiences of being in a cross-cultural relationship, and seeing/recreating 'the other' with loving eyes, and being seen by 'the other'/ as 'the other' from loving eyes). For me to read your words gave me hope...unwrinkled my forehead. I was scrolling from the last post backwards, and seeing the tone of things be antagonistic and angry without regard for 'the other' in the conversation, without regard for understanding across difference, and then I came to your post, where emotions were present, but so was this sense of actually trying to communicate across difference. but also not just dismissing the other views. like getting that there are orms who come from poverty, and that in this way their applications may be supported by policies of diversity, so not just being orm vs urm

I liked reading the nuances you acknowledged in your writing, because things that get more nuanced and move away from just a battle and dichotomization is what all these policies are partially meant to work towards...they are meant to create medical classes where orm and urm are able to swap perspectives, and all grow more understanding....Ha! as if that happens in typical medical education, but that is actually what is meant to be one of the advantages of having a class with compositional diversity...it is supposed to lead to diversity of interactions between the members of the class which is meant to create a whole class of doctors who are less hampered by prejudice when it comes to choosing where/for whom they practice because they have all learned for each other. Of course, then we get into....well does the medical school create the environment for people to break out of cliques and challenge themselves to interact across difference? to look at their own prejudices and assumptions? if not, does that mean that folks from less advantage once again have to do all the bridging work by getting walked all over, by becoming 'this bridge called our backs' as the chicana feminists once titled an anthology about how the urms/women of colour/people not from advantage become the ones who have to do all the bridging work, and the folks with the advantages get to purposely stay blind. in med school, and cultures of medicine, often unfortunately that is the case. there are no consciousness raising groups as required coursework in medicine. but the fact that there are some people in the community who speak out about this, and who work together, is good. it's important.

and as an aside, in terms of aboriginal rights....i'm from canada, and we have a slightly different history, which means that there have been some awesome legal cases won in terms of land rights. may more happen. of course, lots of terrible terrible history too. and colonialism is a thing that some white folks know about in terms of generational healing....irish families have a lot of working out of colonialism going on too. that temper and that alcohol stereotype wasn't created in a vaccuum with no external stressors. also strange collisions of nation-to-nation rights, children's rights, and rejection of colonial science have happened recently in canadian news around a judge's ruling on a little girl with leukemia. that's a story that needs the 'grey zone' - that term i use comes from primo levi, a holocaust survivor, who says it is ok for children to want black and white situations, but for folks coming to term with oppressor/victim (i.e. nazi/jewish survivor is the trope he writes about) there are just no easy categorizations...it becomes very grey...he mentions this in the context that in order to have survived a person had to push advantages that meant others died. there were no innocent survivors...extra stolen bread meant less for someone else. primo levi used his knowledge of chemistry/privilege of attending school/intelligence to get advantages in a system where he wouldn't have survived otherwise..he writes a lot around that. aside finished.

I may even approach my campus diversity office with the idea.

I hope you do....the best part was meeting the others in the class with similar histories that get erased in medical culture...other med students, residents, attendings...the research asked for any member of the medical community around that school/hospital not from advantage...advantage defined by family income/family educational attainment.

there was something really affirming about meeting with others in a non-directive qualitative interview just really talking. wish med school had more of that...even having mentors who have knowledge like that...talking to the attendings in their 50's was invaluable. sometimes med culture can really get a person down...it's good to just know of others. really glad i got that experience. i hope you do get something similar. pm me if you would like to know more details, or have questions.

You know why I'm surprised- because it makes common sense that a disparity in college performance would carry on to a disparity in med school performance (and maybe even widen).

Your original quote:

Find me one of these "international studies" on north america. Or perhaps stop making references to non-existent studies. I can't even fathom how such an "international review" would equate different academic performance variables across different countries.

I provided you with the title of one, if you are so intent on seeing it why are avoiding reading it exactly? I'm sure you would be able to find the others in related articles on a database lie PubMed. Also, I asked why you are surprised by the fact that they analyzed North America in an international study, not at the findings.

I have provided retort to your arguments and basis for further discussion, instead of reading, analyzing, and responding you have chosen to continue with aggression, is it because you have no logical arguments to provide? If so, wouldn't it be best to end in a graceful exit than continue to show your lack of maturity?

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/White Coat Black Art/ID/2570030655/

this is a podcast about the story of the little aboriginal girl with leukemia. the contributions from the first nations oncology surgeon, and how she balances her western training with her community understanding of post-colonial rejection of western scientific colonial supremacy no matter what it might offer, are really interesting.

edited to add: the judge's ruling went towards the validation of first nations being autonomous, and affirming the nation-to-nation rights (i.e. still have sovereign rights), so that child was not forced into western treatment. of course, because a child, this is causing lots of grey zone, as the chemo is 95% effective, and without, is likely death.. but interesting in terms of sovereignty of cultural rights to choose non-western medicine. takes western presumption of being best and being able to prevail down a couple notches. combined with vehement rejection of more colonial culture's control of children/taking of children. this story reminds me of the medical anthropology story of the hmong child..."the spirit catches you and you fall down" ....where differences needed to be bridged, because might just could not prevail. so the aside is about looking for understanding across difference..as i wish would happen in the urm discussions that was the original point to this thread

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The self-victimizing posts in this thread are amazing.

I'm not going to criticize URM for taking advantage of opportunities, such as Affirmative Action, if they happen to be there.

But dont act like it's fair and that whites and over-represented minorities are a bunch of bitter, ignorant bigots.

The fact of the matter is that many URM actually do get in just because of their ethnic background, despite having lesser CVs/stats than white and ORM peers.

Why is it that Asian families work several jobs and sacrifice everything to get their kids, who bust their asses throughout academic life, dont get the same benefits ? Why is it that all white people are assumed to have this mythical "privilege" . etc.

This system is straight up racist and I am glad Michigan banned it, I can't wait for more states to follow suit.

If you dont want your peers to look down upon you, dont try to play this racist system off as something that belongs within the superstructure of true equal opportunity. Do what you tell white people to do, and accept that you have privilege (except your privilege is literally a law, and white privilege is some social concept that cannot even be applied to the vast majority of white people)
Most of my white classmates are ignorant to other cultures. Its not to say that they are bad people for that, but it's clear they have been secluded and do not even want to leave their bubble. It's just a fact. Privelege seems mythical to you because you've lived your whole life in a box. The real world is beyond your imagination.

Reactions: 2 users
Most of my white classmates are ignorant to other cultures. Its not to say that they are bad people for that, but it's clear they have been secluded and do not even want to leave their bubble. It's just a fact. Privelege seems mythical to you because you've lived your whole life in a box. The real world is beyond your imagination.

I was born and grew up in a poor predominantly black neighborhood in the most ethnically and culturally diverse county on the planet (queens, NY) so try again. On top of this, not only have I been to various places around the US, but I've also visited various countries

And what exactly does knowing about different cultures have to do with privilege. I agree that most white people don't know jack about other cultures , just like most black people know jack about other cultures, but that has nothing to do with equal opportunity or lack thereof.

I was born and grew up in a poor predominantly black neighborhood in the most ethnically and culturally diverse county on the planet (queens, NY) so try again. On top of this, not only have I been to various places around the US, but I've also visited various countries

And what exactly does knowing about different cultures have to do with privilege. I agree that most white people don't know jack about other cultures , just like most black people know jack about other cultures, but that has nothing to do with equal opportunity or lack thereof.
I don't care of your purported past. The point is when people start making statements like you have had on this thread it's of pure ignorance.

You grew up in a predominantly poor, black neighborhood huh? That makes you a hater. If you really believe in socioeconomic differences being the injustice of this world, then you wouldn't we whining on this forum. Unless of course, you're ignorant.

I have to laugh at racism. It's all about keeping poor people hating each other when they have more in common than they do with those in power.

I don't care of your purported past. The point is when people start making statements like you have had on this thread it's of pure ignorance.

You grew up in a predominantly poor, black neighborhood huh? That makes you a hater. If you really believe in socioeconomic differences being the injustice of this world, then you wouldn't we whining on this forum. Unless of course, you're ignorant.

I have to laugh at racism. It's all about keeping poor people hating each other when they have more in common than they do with those in power.

Lmao it s hard to believe a !medical student can be this dense.

Yea I'd call myself a hater - a hater of racism brought about by URM advantage. How do you not understand that Affirmative action doesn't fix unequal opportunity. The sole factor taken into account is race. It will help the black kid with !millionaire parents and ignore the poor white kid with no library in his school

Lmao it s hard to believe a !medical student can be this dense.

Yea I'd call myself a hater - a hater of racism brought about by URM advantage. How do you not understand that Affirmative action doesn't fix unequal opportunity. The sole factor taken into account is race. It will help the black kid with !millionaire parents and ignore the poor white kid with no library in his school
Your circular reasoning bores me. So I'll leave you to your own device. Nice chat though.

Hyperachievers froth at the mouth at the idea that someone, somehow, could possibly be admitted to medical school over them with lesser stats. They consistently fail to understand the concept that while admissions is a meritocratic process, not all merit is based upon numbers. A person's story and background is also part of the admissions package.

I've noticed that ire is always focused on near mythical rich black kids who are the ones taking advantage of this process. URMs at my school are decidedly not in that demographic.

EDIT: one more late night thought: the people who scream the loudest about URMs often display an entitlement mentality. No one, and I mean no one, is entitled to a seat in medical school. it is a privilege and not a reward for having good grades and/or being a good student.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Hyperachievers froth at the mouth at the idea that someone, somehow, could possibly be admitted to medical school over them with lesser stats. They consistently fail to understand the concept that while admissions is a meritocratic process, not all merit is based upon numbers. A person's story and background is also part of the admissions package.

I've noticed that ire is always focused on near mythical rich black kids who are the ones taking advantage of this process. URMs at my school are decidedly not in that demographic.

A comforting delusion. No one wants to accept that a rich black person is a rarity in and of itself, now somehow all these rich black students are all flooding to medical schools. It's quite an interesting phenomenon to imagine.

Chas grew up in a poor black neighborhood, apparently making him privy to the plights of the poor black in America yet he makes blanket statements about their privilege and advantages. One minute public schools are filled with opportunity and technology for blacks, but in your example there is a poor white kid without a library in his school. Didn't you reject the unequal education system in this country? Claiming public schools in bad neighborhoods are like the one you attended?

Still, these conversations will get nowhere as long as participants continuously prove that their responses are seated in ignorance and prejudice because instead of having a worthwhile debate they persist with vitriol and hate spewing. First time in my life an argument was determined invalid because the reader was too lazy to actually read it o.0

Reactions: 4 users
A comforting delusion. No one wants to accept that a rich black person is a rarity in and of itself, now somehow all these rich black students are all flooding to medical schools. It's quite an interesting phenomenon to imagine.

Chas grew up in a poor black neighborhood, apparently making him privy to the plights of the poor black in America yet he makes blanket statements about their privilege and advantages. One minute public schools are filled with opportunity and technology for blacks, but in your example there is a poor white kid without a library in his school. Didn't you reject the unequal education system in this country? Claiming public schools in bad neighborhoods are like the one you attended?

Still, these conversations will get nowhere as long as participants continuously prove that their responses are seated in ignorance and prejudice because instead of having a worthwhile debate they persist with vitriol and hate spewing. First time in my life an argument was determined invalid because the reader was too lazy to actually read it o.0

not 100% of the schools in the country have libraries. My point was that things, for the most part, are equal opportunity and that URM get an advantage despite having access to equal opportunity.

Basically, the poor URM in my schools got an advantage despite them having equal opportunity. Meanwhile, if there is a white kid in one of the schools with no library - he wont get any help! This is my problem with Affirmative Action - the only factor it takes into account is the URM status. It doesnt take into account true factors of unequal opportunity. It is a racist system that assumes race, nothing more and nothing less, is the sole factor of unequal opportunity.

My response is seated in nothing but the definition of URM Affirmative Action. I honestly don't care at this point because I, thankfully, have made it in already. Residency programs and fellowship programs arent racist, thankfully, so I dont have to worry about this s*** anymore. Aside from me, though, are 1000s of ORM and whites who got screwed by this racist system.

Dont worry, though. AA's time is running thin. This country is luckily willing to look itself in the mirror and strive to reach true equality. Michigan is just the first step.

not 100% of the schools in the country have libraries. My point was that things, for the most part, are equal opportunity and that URM get an advantage despite having access to equal opportunity.

Basically, the poor URM in my schools got an advantage despite them having equal opportunity. Meanwhile, if there is a white kid in one of the schools with no library - he wont get any help! This is my problem with Affirmative Action - the only factor it takes into account is the URM status. It doesnt take into account true factors of unequal opportunity. It is a racist system that assumes race, nothing more and nothing less, is the sole factor of unequal opportunity.

My response is seated in nothing but the definition of URM Affirmative Action. I honestly don't care at this point because I, thankfully, have made it in already. Residency programs and fellowship programs arent racist, thankfully, so I dont have to worry about this s*** anymore. Aside from me, though, are 1000s of ORM and whites who got screwed by this racist system.

Life is more than medical school. So when we discuss Affirmative action we are inherently discussing all facets of life in America. When you say AA is racist and disadvantages other races, then is the lack of AA what you would determine equality? Are you taking into account that daily life for most minorities is seeing whites with advantages that considers nothing else but race. The fact that AA exists at all is a product of institutionalized racism. So is that particular brand of racism okay with you? Just not the one you deem to affect medical school admission? Removing AA does not bring equality, and specifically for medical school removing diversity goals only ferments the same racist environment, you just won't be on the receiving end so perhaps it will be palatable. Your statement of Michigan only solidifies that. They removed AA, okay what have they done to attain equality in educational and socioeconomic means in the state? Not a thing, they can Chang equality now that the already privileged have nothing to be mad about, what about the already disadvantaged? Where are they now? What has the state done for them? There are many levels of injustice that have to be addressed, that's all I'm trying to convey.

Life is more than medical school. So when we discuss Affirmative action we are inherently discussing all facets of life in America. When you say AA is racist and disadvantages other races, then is the lack of AA what you would determine equality? Are you taking into account that daily life for most minorities is seeing whites with advantages that considers nothing else but race. The fact that AA exists at all is a product of institutionalized racism. So is that particular brand of racism okay with you? Just not the one you deem to affect medical school admission? Removing AA does not bring equality, and specifically for medical school removing diversity goals only ferments the same racist environment, you just won't be on the receiving end so perhaps it will be palatable. Your statement of Michigan only solidifies that. They removed AA, okay what have they done to attain equality in educational and socioeconomic means in the state? Not a thing, they can Chang equality now that the already privileged have nothing to be mad about, what about the already disadvantaged? Where are they now? What has the state done for them? There are many levels of injustice that have to be addressed, that's all I'm trying to convey.

No brand of racism is OK with me, which is why I dont support AA.

People might support the line of thought that looks at racism and unequal opportunity as some tug-o-war and say that AA brings it closer to some imaginary zero sum. But the fact of the matter is that there isnt just one metaphysical "privilege" in society, but thousands of privileges which favour all different kinds of people. When people then single out one group and give them an advantage like AA, and say "You're white, therefore you have the privilege." - well you are just looking for an easy way out and fighting bias with bias, racism with further racism - fire with fire.

Fighting potential racism with true, real deal institutional racism, ie AA, is far from fair and something that no believer of equal opportunity should support. I will choose to support policies that promote fairness and equal opportunity without racism, but i will never choose to accept racist policies in the name of fairness.

It seems that people on this forum don't understand social engineering and the like:

For e.g. take the SAT- a large portion of the exam deals with "language skills". I've taken exams before and "language skills" is generally tantamount to trivia (i.e. knowing what some obscure and, generally verbose, prose is saying). It has been shown empirically that when B.S. and purely superficial metrics of intelligence are accounted for, Africans (in all their beautiful forms), tend to have comparable if not better performances relative to other groups.

The thing I find funny is the sentiment that an African "took your spot"; if they got the spot and you did not, they couldn't have taken it because you didn't have it yet. The former sentiment just shows how many, but not all, Whites DO have a sense of ridiculous entitlement. If you truly understood the African struggle, which you won't, you'd realize how utterly ignorant you appear. In general, Africans have to work far harder than others to get the same results (I liken it to have "pedigree papers"- Africans are assumed inferior until proven otherwise while Whites enjoy the privilege and unwritten law of superiority).

Reactions: 4 users
No brand of racism is OK with me, which is why I dont support AA.

People might support the line of thought that looks at racism and unequal opportunity as some tug-o-war and say that AA brings it closer to some imaginary zero sum. But the fact of the matter is that there isnt just one metaphysical "privilege" in society, but thousands of privileges which favour all different kinds of people. When people then single out one group and give them an advantage like AA, and say "You're white, therefore you have the privilege." - well you are just looking for an easy way out and fighting bias with bias, racism with further racism - fire with fire.

Fighting potential racism with true, real deal institutional racism, ie AA, is far from fair and something that no believer of equal opportunity should support. I will choose to support policies that promote fairness and equal opportunity without racism, but i will never choose to accept racist policies in the name of fairness.

Okay so remove AA. What policies are you supporting? Honestly for someone that already believes that everything in America is near perfect simply because it seems better than other parts of the world I don't picture you actually thinking about injustice around you. Those of is that experience the lack of equality can see it, you have apparently only noticed it in med school admissions so I'd dare say that you haven't been impacted by other injustices to care. Like I said before, you support the removal of AA, and say it's because of equal opportunity, but you don't care about addressing equal opportunity so long as you aren't on the losing end.

Okay so remove AA. What policies are you supporting? Honestly for someone that already believes that everything in America is near perfect simply because it seems better than other parts of the world I don't picture you actually thinking about injustice around you. Those of is that experience the lack of equality can see it, you have apparently only noticed it in med school admissions so I'd dare say that you haven't been impacted by other injustices to care. Like I said before, you support the removal of AA, and say it's because of equal opportunity, but you don't care about addressing equal opportunity so long as you aren't on the losing end.

The blacks going to college and graduating w/ pre-med reqs are NOT indicative of the larger black contingent.If you want to help the truly disadvantaged segment of society it would be along the lines of donating to your homeless shelter, community outreach programs, public tutoring programs, after-school programs, etc. But IMO: you don't care about addressing equal opportunity unless YOU can benefit. (And yes- I have. I've done a volunteer after-school program for primary school students long before I decided to do pre-med and could benefit from it. I've also donated a not-insignificant sum (for me, as a student) to a homeless shelter when I got to know one of their beneficiaries personally.) I'll believe you more when you passionately defend something you don't benefit from.

It seems that people on this forum don't understand social engineering and the like:

For e.g. take the SAT- a large portion of the exam deals with "language skills". I've taken exams before and "language skills" is generally tantamount to trivia (i.e. knowing what some obscure and, generally verbose, prose is saying). It has been shown empirically that when B.S. and purely superficial metrics of intelligence are accounted for, Africans (in all their beautiful forms), tend to have comparable if not better performances relative to other groups.

The thing I find funny is the sentiment that an African "took your spot"; if they got the spot and you did not, they couldn't have taken it because you didn't have it yet. The former sentiment just shows how many, but not all, Whites DO have a sense of ridiculous entitlement. If you truly understood the African struggle, which you won't, you'd realize how utterly ignorant you appear. In general, Africans have to work far harder than others to get the same results (I liken it to have "pedigree papers"- Africans are assumed inferior until proven otherwise while Whites enjoy the privilege and unwritten law of superiority).

Other physicians realize the role of affirmative action in creating black doctors. Affirmative action itself puts "pedigree" papers" in the hands of non-URMs and take it out of black's. Because of AA- it's only natural to wonder if a given black doctor is as qualified as a white one.

Last edited:
The blacks going to college and graduating w/ pre-med reqs are NOT indicative of the larger black contingent.If you want to help the truly disadvantaged segment of society it would be along the lines of donating to your homeless shelter, community outreach programs, public tutoring programs, after-school programs, etc. But IMO: you don't care about addressing equal opportunity unless YOU can benefit. (And yes- I have. I've done a volunteer after-school program for primary school students long before I decided to do pre-med and could benefit from it. I've also donated a not-insignificant sum (for me, as a student) to a homeless shelter when I got to know one of their beneficiaries personally.) I'll believe you more when you passionately defend something you don't benefit from.

Other physicians realize the role of affirmative action in creating black doctors. Affirmative action itself puts "pedigree" papers" in the hands of non-URMs and take it out of black's. Because of AA- it's only natural to wonder if a given black doctor is as qualified as a white one

You misunderstood entirely! In examining your response, you're saying AA necessitates that other groups have to prove themselves in order to gain ascendancy? Furthermore, your last point PROVES my contention; Africans have to always PROVE that they're qualified despite evidence to the contrary. AA was not created by Africans but was rather created by 'White" people in order to fill certain roles (i.e. more accurately reflect the demographic of America, etc.). Admissions are tasked with selecting from a pool of qualified Africans meaning that there are many Africans who are rejected. The most apparent point I can make lies in the actual demographic of most med schools: say you have a class of 120- how many students are of African descent (maybe 10%)?

I feel that people o this forum are hypnotized by the American myth of the illusion of inclusion and the notion that hard work always guarantees results. Africans in this country , for decades, have toiled under the notion that if they work hard and contribute that they can gain some form of social ascendancy. Isn't it funny that just 50 years ago White people actively said Africans were inferior? Why is is that when people of African descent CAN keep the pace or outpace others it is automatically assumed that there was some impropriety? When barriers to social ascendancy are removed and Africans actually begin to ascend, isn't it funny how a preconceived system (e.g. AA) is always there to somehow lessen any gains?

I truly believe this AA discussion is less than productive. Consider this point: in the 1960s, when Africans were slowly being allowed to enter academia, did they benefit from AA? In the 60's, Africans worked within a system which had made it clear that they were inferior and triumphed despite these obvious injustices. When you consider doing away with AA you deal with a double edged sword: AA essentially says that race trumps ability ( to some degree) and ACTUALLY reinforces White supremacy. AA creates an environment wherein skilled Africans are scrutinized (often unjustly) while Whites are ASSUMED to be competent and also as benevolent. If we eliminated AA tomorrow, who would really benefit?

Last edited:
You misunderstood entirely! In examining your response, you're saying AA necessitates that other groups have to prove themselves in order to gain ascendancy? Furthermore, your last point PROVES my contention; Africans have to always PROVE that they're qualified despite evidence to the contrary. AA was not created by Africans but was rather created by 'White" people in order to fill certain roles (i.e. more accurately reflect the demographic of America, etc.). Admissions are tasked with selecting from a pool of qualified Africans meaning that there are many Africans who are rejected. The most apparent point I can make lies in the actual demographic of most med schools: say you have a class of 120- how many students are of African descent (maybe 10%)?

I feel that people o this forum are hypnotized by the American myth of the illusion of inclusion and the notion that hard work always guarantees results. Africans in this country , for decades, have toiled under the notion that if they work hard and contribute that they can gain some form of social ascendancy. Isn't it funny that just 50 years ago White people actively said Africans were inferior? Why is is that when people of African descent CAN keep the pace or outpace others it is automatically assumed that there was some impropriety? When barriers to social ascendancy are removed and Africans actually begin to ascend, isn't it funny how a preconceived system (e.g. AA) is always there to somehow lessen any gains?

I truly believe this AA discussion is less than productive. Consider this point: in the 1960s, when Africans were slowly being allowed to enter academia, did they benefit from AA? In the 60's, Africans worked within a system which had made it clear that they were inferior and triumphed despite these obvious injustices. When you consider doing away with AA you deal with a double edged sword: AA essentially says that race trumps ability ( to some degree) and ACTUALLY reinforces White supremacy. AA creates an environment wherein skilled Africans are scrutinized (often unjustly) while Whites are ASSUMED to be competent and also as benevolent. If we eliminated AA tomorrow, who would really benefit?

Do you have a central idea you wish to convey to me? Because your first paragraph is against my quote and your last paragraph is in support of it. o_O

The fact is if AA did not exist there would be no racial equality. As much as you want to shove it down our throats we can smell the bs from far away. Don't you find it alarming that AA even has to exist? There have been COUNTLESS studies that prove that employers will choose whites over blacks in any field when the race and name is the only thing changed on a resume. Do you understand how completely disgusting that is? It doesn't matter if on paper I am your twin in all our achievements and accolades, white is always assumed to be superior. This is white privilege, and it's rampant in every part of society. Now AA, as I said before is a band-aid, let's 5% blacks in, whoot amazing, all the others who are constantly rejected because of the color of the skin don't matter. AA does not take anything away from a white person for them to prove themselves. Take your head out of the sand people.

Side note: Someone explain to me the bountiful rich blacks that are the only ones applying to medical school and reaping benefits. I've yet to see any proof of this so leave conjecture at the door please.

If you want I can drop a long list of studies that show how entrenched white privilege is and what society would be like if there was not even AA. Trust it would far from equal, just a sea of all white.

Edit: donating to shelters does ABSOLUTELY nothing to address the issues keeping minorities marginalized and disadvantaged. I truly hope you don't believe that is true. Just as you want the government to make it law that AA does not exist, you should be pushing for the government to fix the root of it's oppression on minorities.

I heard a good example yesterday. The current design of the system says everyone is equal, we all have equal opportunity. Yet picture a classroom, at the front are whites, as you move toward the back of the class those are the blacks in America. There is a basket at the front and we all have to shoot our balls in. Most in the front makes it, easy shots, the basket is right there. The blacks all the way in the back can't. 2 or 3 make it. Now our society says we are all equal because we all had an opportunity to take a shot. But was that really an equal opportunity for the blacks all the way to the back? Not at all. Now whites argue because 2-3 blacks did make it that it PROVES that everyone can make it, they just didn't try hard enough. Do you realize how completely absurd this is? AA let's a few more blacks take a free shot, some make it. Now whites argue that they've been wrong because some blacks got another shot. The fallacies in this kind of logic is why minorities, blacks in particular, find people that use it simply ignorant. No other way to describe it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Whittypsych " There have been COUNTLESS studies that prove that employers will choose whites over blacks in any field when the race and name is the only thing changed on a resume. Do you understand how completely disgusting that is?"

It is disgusting. And it's also disgusting when the odds of a student matriculating triple just by changing the race in their app.

We all agree racial discrimination is wrong

The fact is if AA did not exist there would be no racial equality. As much as you want to shove it down our throats we can smell the bs from far away. Don't you find it alarming that AA even has to exist? There have been COUNTLESS studies that prove that employers will choose whites over blacks in any field when the race and name is the only thing changed on a resume. Do you understand how completely disgusting that is? It doesn't matter if on paper I am your twin in all our achievements and accolades, white is always assumed to be superior. This is white privilege, and it's rampant in every part of society. Now AA, as I said before is a band-aid, let's 5% blacks in, whoot amazing, all the others who are constantly rejected because of the color of the skin don't matter. AA does not take anything away from a white person for them to prove themselves. Take your head out of the sand people.

Side note: Someone explain to me the bountiful rich blacks that are the only ones applying to medical school and reaping benefits. I've yet to see any proof of this so leave conjecture at the door please.

If you want I can drop a long list of studies that show how entrenched white privilege is and what society would be like if there was not even AA. Trust it would far from equal, just a sea of all white.

Edit: donating to shelters does ABSOLUTELY nothing to address the issues keeping minorities marginalized and disadvantaged. I truly hope you don't believe that is true. Just as you want the government to make it law that AA does not exist, you should be pushing for the government to fix the root of it's oppression on minorities.

I heard a good example yesterday. The current design of the system says everyone is equal, we all have equal opportunity. Yet picture a classroom, at the front are whites, as you move toward the back of the class those are the blacks in America. There is a basket at the front and we all have to shoot our balls in. Most in the front makes it, easy shots, the basket is right there. The blacks all the way in the back can't. 2 or 3 make it. Now our society says we are all equal because we all had an opportunity to take a shot. But was that really an equal opportunity for the blacks all the way to the back? Not at all. Now whites argue because 2-3 blacks did make it that it PROVES that everyone can make it, they just didn't try hard enough. Do you realize how completely absurd this is? AA let's a few more blacks take a free shot, some make it. Now whites argue that they've been wrong because some blacks got another shot. The fallacies in this kind of logic is why minorities, blacks in particular, find people that use it simply ignorant. No other way to describe it.

This is a very apt analogy!

The few blacks who DID make the shot did so do to effort AND happenstance (i.e. location, timing). Maybe if the blacks in the back just wore more fitted clothes and did not listen to hip-hop they could have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps.

My initial response was hastily written but you express many of my sentiments. AA strong-arms whites into what I call the "illusion of inclusion"- you find success only when benevolent white people deem it necessary. If AA were eliminated today do people really think, given that whites are not beholden to blacks, they'd give blacks a FAIR shake? Using your analogy, Blacks could make the shot and be told " you sunk the wrong basket, we we're aiming at another basket" (keep in mind the Black person has been blindfolded and ASSURED that everyone else has been blinded as well.

:smack:

Whittypsych " There have been COUNTLESS studies that prove that employers will choose whites over blacks in any field when the race and name is the only thing changed on a resume. Do you understand how completely disgusting that is?"

It is disgusting. And it's also disgusting when the odds of a student matriculating triple just by changing the race in their app.

We all agree racial discrimination is wrong

Sb247,

I have and always will respect your position. I believe we have discussed what needs to happen for AA on a whole to be done away with. I've said many times I'm not very fond of AA because it is a cosmetic change to relieve the guilt of the institution because it is cheaper to do so than overhaul the system. I understand your position, and where it puts Asian Americans on the spectrum. I do not ignore that fact. As the current goal is stated, an equal proportion of representation is being sought, and that is what is being attained. Whether you believe that goal is unimportant is a personal choice. Many believe it is crucial, we can discuss that.

However, what has evolved in this thread is that 1. White privilege does not exist. 2. Removing AA will result in equality for all. And 3. That only rich black people who have no struggle get into med school. That is what I am arguing here.

Do you have a central idea you wish to convey to me? Because your first paragraph is against my quote and your last paragraph is in support of it. o_O
I was expressing the idea that AA forces whites to grudgingly include Africans while also creating an environment where whites are seen as benevolent. If whites were in a situation where they were NOT beholden to others AT ALL and would face no back lash for inequity, would things be better?

Whites ultimately dictate the perception/interpretation of what others have the capability to do- in the 60's, Blacks were seen as peons unable to dictate their own destiny while today, Whites STILL dictate African capability and to what degree success should be prevalent.

Sb247,

I have and always will respect your position. I believe we have discussed what needs to happen for AA on a whole to be done away with. I've said many times I'm not very fond of AA because it is a cosmetic change to relieve the guilt of the institution because it is cheaper to do so than overhaul the system. I understand your position, and where it puts Asian Americans on the spectrum. I do not ignore that fact. As the current goal is stated, an equal proportion of representation is being sought, and that is what is being attained. Whether you believe that goal is unimportant is a personal choice. Many believe it is crucial, we can discuss that.

However, what has evolved in this thread is that 1. White privilege does not exist. 2. Removing AA will result in equality for all. And 3. That only rich black people who have no struggle get into med school. That is what I am arguing here.
And i respect that you have the intellectual honesty to know it's evil too...even if you think it's a necessary evil

And i respect that you have the intellectual honesty to know it's evil too...even if you think it's a necessary evil

Hot buttons words have no effect on me. Let me know when you will fight against the evils that keep certain groups marginalized.

White privilege is obviously net negative in academic admissions with AA. Nothing can result in equality for all. Too many factors. But removing AA will result in a net increase in equality. Lastly, blacks in med school are not all rich- of course not. If you're going to make straw men at least make them somewhat sensible. The point was that they are largely middle class and NOT representative of the larger black community and it's problems.

Frankly I fee sorry for you. Your second to last post added the government as an oppressor of blacks. So far in this thread we have Professors, TAs, adcoms, med school peers, employers and now the government. Is there anyone not secretly donning a Klan hood?
I was expressing the idea that AA forces whites to grudgingly include Africans while also creating an environment where whites are seen as benevolent. If whites were in a situation where they were NOT beholden to others AT ALL and would face no back lash for inequity, would things be better?
Whites ultimately dictate the perception/interpretation of what others have the capability to do- in the 60's, Blacks were seen as peons unable to dictate their own destiny while today, Whites STILL dictate African capability and to what degree success should be prevalent.
Whites do not have as much power as you think they do to dictate other races especially since they are not making a concerted effort to do so. I assure you that whites did not purposely create any of the positive stereotypes of east asians and indians. I wonder how many more years it will take for the white oppression excuse to lose it's muster. In 2050, only about ~35 years, the majority population of America will be non-white. Hopefully then?

Last edited:
Hot buttons words have no effect on me. Let me know when you will fight against the evils that keep certain groups marginalized.
I was being complementary

And i absolutely oppose all discrimination and abortion which murders black children disproportionately

As well as support school voucher programs, nonviolent drug deciminalization, restrictions on police powers, and community (not government) support of the eroding family unit in all races

I was being complementary

And i absolutely oppose all discrimination and abortion which murders black children disproportionately

As well as support school voucher programs, nonviolent drug deciminalization, restrictions on police powers, and community (not government) support of the eroding family unit in all races

Then I misread. That is admirable. The reason minorities felt the way they did in this thread is because the loudest voices are screams of how hurtful the URM advantage is, but it is rare that they are even aware or willing to cry inequalities for the many URM disadvantages. I can't take any arguments of the such seriously. It does not come from a place of wanting equality, only protection of their own privilege.

White privilege is obviously net negative in academic admissions with AA. Nothing can result in equality for all. Too many factors. But removing AA will result in a net increase in equality. Lastly, blacks in med school are not all rich- of course not. If you're going to make straw men at least make them somewhat sensible. The point was that they are largely middle class and NOT representative of the larger black community and it's problems.

Frankly I fee sorry for you. Your second to last post added the government as an oppressor of blacks. So far in this thread we have Professors, TAs, adcoms, med school peers, employers and now the government. Is there anyone not secreting donning a Klan hood?

Whites do not have as much power as you think they do to dictate other races especially since they are not making a concerted effort to do so. I assure you that whites did not purposely create any of the positive stereotypes of east asians and indians. I wonder how many more years it will take for the white oppression excuse to lose it's muster. In 2050, only about ~35 years, the majority population of America will be non-white. Hopefully then?

Really, I feel sorry for you. Ignorance is not a good pair with smugness. You've displayed an inability to think logically long ago when you resorted to personal attacks. If you were paying attention I've discussed institutionalized oppression from the beginning, how did you not understand that includes the government? I'm pretty sure I've explicitly stated the government, the education system, ehh who is responsible for the school system?

I love that you can throw your hands up and declare there is nothing we can do for equality for all, but what we can do is make sure whites and ORMs get disadvantaged by any means. Why so easy to accept that we can't give minorities equality? Oh right, you are incapable of fighting for equality of it doesn't benefit you. (Return to your assumptions about Native Americans)
How is getting rid of AA a net positive in equality? Simply because you deemed it so? Because ORMs don't get disadvantaged? What measurement are you using to make that blanket statement? Your arguments seriously need a better foundation.

And again show me the stats that the blacks that benefit in admissions are majority wealthy. It is not a straw man argument to ask you to put evidence to conjecture.

Guess what the experience of oppression will cease to exist when oppressions cease to exists. You ignore every example of it then claim it's nonexistent. Seems legit.

At this point I think I am convinced you are a troll, no one is actually this oblivious right?

Really, I feel sorry for you. Ignorance is not a good pair with smugness. You've displayed an inability to think logically long ago when you resorted to personal attacks. If you were paying attention I've discussed institutionalized oppression from the beginning, how did you not understand that includes the government? I'm pretty sure I've explicitly stated the government, the education system, ehh who is responsible for the school system?
I love that you can throw your hands up and declare there is nothing we can do for equality for all, but what we can do is make sure whites and ORMs get disadvantaged by any means. Why so easy to accept that we can't give minorities equality? Oh right, you are incapable of fighting for equality of it doesn't benefit you. (Return to your assumptions about Native Americans)
How is getting rid of AA a net positive in equality? Simply because you deemed it so? Because ORMs don't get disadvantaged? What measurement are you using to make that blanket statement? Your arguments seriously need a better foundation.
And again show me the stats that the blacks that benefit in admissions are majority wealthy. It is not a straw man argument to ask you to put evidence to conjecture.
Guess what the experience of oppression will cease to exist when oppressions cease to exists. You ignore every example of it then claim it's nonexistent. Seems legit.
At this point I think I am convinced you are a troll, no one is actually this oblivious right?

1. My point was that you've blamed everybody under the sun but black people for the state of the system. Someone would have to be oblivious not see that as ridiculous.
2. You seem a little dense given that this is the third time I have to say it: re: blacks in medical school: majority middle-class and not indicative of the general black population. NOT majority wealthy. I'm sure a couple posts down you will prop up that straw man yet again though.
3. "How is getting rid of AA a net positive in equality? Simply because you deemed it so? Because ORMs don't get disadvantaged? "
You just admitted a post ago that asians get grossly disadvantaged -that's just one way that getting rid of AA increases net equality. The third sentence: ....yes, they do. Seriously, re-read your writing.

The way you make it sound it's a miracle the oppressive system has allowed you to learn to read/write.

Last edited:
A recent Nielsen report shows that African-Americans view 7 hours 12 minutes of TV, on average, per day. Compared to 5 hours and 11 minutes for the average American and 3 hours and 14 minutes for Asian-Americans. This seemingly trivial factoid alone has a greater effect on how many African-Americans attain careers that require intensive study vs. Whites or Asians than any of the exaggerated oppressions some of you perceive.

I suspect that your self-serving attitude: blaming everything but blacks for the state of affairs and pin-pointing AA in med school admissions as a vessel for increasing equality (how convenient for you) does nothing to change things. In 2050, when the black community has not advanced much further and America is majority non-white your accusation of oppression will be even more bogus (unless you were to turn the blame on Hispanics at that point).

1. My point was that you've blamed everybody under the sun but black people for the state of the system. Someone would have to be oblivious not see that as ridiculous.
2. You seem a little dense given that this is the third time I have to say it: re: blacks in medical school: majority middle-class and not indicative of the general black population. NOT majority wealthy. I'm sure a couple posts down you will prop up that straw man yet again though.
3. "How is getting rid of AA a net positive in equality? Simply because you deemed it so? Because ORMs don't get disadvantaged? "
You just admitted a post ago that asians get grossly disadvantaged -that's just one way that getting rid of AA increases net equality. The third sentence: ....yes, they do. Seriously, re-read your crap.

The way you make it sound it's a miracle the oppressive system has allowed you to learn to read/write.

Okay I'll make it easy for you. Show me the stats that the majority of blacks that benefit in admissions are middle class. When you consider the average income of a black person in America, middle class is wealthy to most of us. But you can argue semantics all you want. We will call it middle class. Again, show the evidence that the majority are middle class, show the evidence, the stats, the reports. Otherwise your conjecture means nothing.

I said many times that it is intrinsic and extrinsic factors, your ENTIRE argument is that external factors have nothing to do with it, hence I have given you evidence of the contrary. My many examples of what contributes to the disadvantages of minorities it to help you get your head out of your ass (pardon my French). It is not my job to make your argument for you. I rebut your ignorant blanket statements which you are all too fond of. We've discussed the environment of what breeds the behavior chas discussed earlier in the neighborhood he grew up in. Keep cherry picking and ignoring everything else, it's working out great for you.

Read back your earlier posts on why minorities don't perform as well, and all the other heavily prejudicial comments you've made and you would see why your own statements have determined what this discussion has become revolved around. You dispute white privilege and dispute race based oppression and when given evidence to the contrary you flail your arms and start making personal attacks and incoherent arguments with no evidence. It's becoming quite a bore.

I've never said anything about Asians being grossly disadvantaged. I said I understand where Asian Americans fall on the spectrum when AA is in place as far as medical school admissions go. No need to put words in my mouth dear. You have no idea to what degree I believe that disadvantage to be and what is offset. If you paid attention I have argued about AA and prejudice in society as a whole, they don't cease to exist after med school admissions, though it is clear that is the only thing you care about. Again reading comprehension is key here, how did you determine the net value of equality is positive for equality when Asians are not disadvantaged? Their disadvantage is worth more than those of minorities in America? What measure determines that the best equality is that when Asians are not disadvantaged but native Americans, Hispanics, and blacks continue to be? I'm guessing it's because it the only population you care about. The point is getting rid of AA does not being equality in and of itself. You won't accept that because you don't care about the disadvantage Hispanics, native Americans, and blacks face. You complain that they whine, but you are whining about Asians having a disadvantage in one single aspect of life. Laughable. Hold fast to your prejudice, it seems to bring you great comfort.

Are you done yet?

A recent Nielsen report shows that African-Americans view 7 hours 12 minutes of TV, on average, per day. Compared to 5 hours and 11 minutes for the average American and 3 hours and 14 minutes for Asian-Americans. This seemingly trivial factoid alone has a greater effect on how many African-Americans attain careers that require intensive study vs. Whites or Asians than any of the exaggerated oppressions some of you perceive.

I suspect that your self-serving attitude: blaming everything but blacks for the state of affairs and pin-pointing AA in med school admissions as a vessel for increasing equality (how convenient for you) does nothing to change things. In 2050, when the black community has not advanced much further and America is majority non-white your accusation of oppression will be even more bogus (unless you were to turn the blame on Hispanics at that point).

So that is the best you came up with? Blacks watch more tv than Asians thereby it's their fault for poor test scores? Nice. You always exceed expectations.

Hmm every other request of evidence has gone unanswered...

So that is the best you came up with? Blacks watch more tv than Asians thereby it's their fault for poor test scores? Nice. You always exceed expectations.

Hmm every other request of evidence has gone unanswered...

lol What evidence do you want? I have no way to quantify equality. All we can do is point out differences in perceptions, behaviors and achievements and hypothesize.

Re: blacks and tv and test scores: It is but one factor of how blacks themselves are *partly* to blame, but yes. Are you claiming there isn't a strong negative correlation between TV hours watched and test scores?

lol What evidence do you want? I have no way to quantify equality. All we can do is point out differences in perceptions, behaviors and achievements and hypothesize.

Re: blacks and tv and test scores: Uh....yes. It is but one factor of how blacks themselves are *partly* to blame, but yes. Are you claiming there isn't a strong negative correlation between TV hours watched and test scores?

That is precisely my point with the earlier comment. If you cannot quantify equality yourself how did you determine that no URM advantage is a net positive of equality?

I am not claiming anything simply pointing out your lackluster efforts in supporting your arguments with fact and constant diversion from points where you could actually take a second to process and have a good foundation in your argument. Randomly posting about how much blacks watch tv shows your tunnel vision. You have left many, many questions unanswered.

I've asked you for evidence for many things, this is your response. What about the economic status of blacks in med school? What about the equality michigan apparently attained for all it's people? What about proof that the government is not racially oppressive? What about proof that teachers aren't racially prejudice? Anything at this point that proves your steadfast beliefs.

You're smug about TAs, professors, and others using racism as a mean to oppress certain groups like it doesn't happen. Do you think all these studies are somehow showing a population not representative of your peers in college? You think they graduate and just become prejudicial when they become hiring managers? You think PIs hiring and favoring whites only began at that point and does not exist in their classrooms? Seriously?

The socioeconomic status of blacks in medical school is obviously much better than blacks as a whole, I can't believe you still keep disputing this. Here's some data that shows it's quite favorable, though it doesn't compare directly to blacks in the general population (but I think it's fair to assume that data would be unfavorable):
http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc28440/m2/1/high_res_d/dissertation.pdf

Your other questions (michigan's anti-AA increasing equality, proof government is racist, teachers are prejudiced, etc) does not deal in simple numbers. I could easily find you articles that argue how michigan increased equality, numerous governmental policies that battle racism at the cost of resources for non-URMs, teacher prejudice being mis-erceived as a response to student behavior, etc. And you could easily find the opposite. Yet again - I have no way to quantify equality- but neither do you! (I feel like everything I say has to posted 2x for your comprehension).

The socioeconomic status of blacks in medical school is obviously much better than blacks as a whole, I can't believe you still keep disputing this. Here's some data that shows it's quite favorable, though it doesn't compare directly to blacks in the general population (but I think it's fair to assume that data would be unfavorable):
http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc28440/m2/1/high_res_d/dissertation.pdf

Your other questions (michigan's anti-AA increasing equality, proof government is racist, teachers are prejudiced, etc) does not deal in simple numbers. I could easily find you articles that argue how michigan increased equality, numerous governmental policies that battle racism at the cost of resources for non-URMs, teacher prejudice being mis-erceived as a response to student behavior, etc. And you could easily find the opposite. Yet again - I have no way to quantify equality- but neither do you! (I feel like everything I say has to posted 2x for your comprehension).

I'll just laugh this off now. I've perused your past posts and now understand your sense of entitlement and realize ignorance and vitriol is a common theme of your posts on here. Definitely, wasting my time with you.

Maybe one day you will go back and actually read the second time around. ✌️

I'll just laugh this off now. I've perused your past posts and now understand your sense of entitlement and realize ignorance and vitriol is a common theme of your posts on here. Definitely, wasting my time with you.
Maybe one day you will go back and actually read the second time around. ✌️

I'm just satisfied you didn't call the study prejudiced too given it's from the school of education. From what you've written it doesn't seem like you believe any deficiency in the black population is due to anything other than one source of prejudice or another. That itself is entitlement and ignorance. And no- of course I will not read your self-serving dribble a second time around. Good day then.

That dissertation link for ecdis and race/ethnicity stats in Texas entitled
MEDICAL SCHOOL ADMISSIONS ACROSS SOCIOECONOMIC GROUPS: AN ANALYSIS ACROSS RACE NEUTRAL AND RACE SENSITIVE ADMISSIONS CYCLES Mike Kennedy, B. A., M. Ed. and published in 2010
was very interesting, and thank you for posting it.

It seems on initial cursory reading that when race was allowed to be a variable in med admissions in texas again (after having been disallowed for a while when AA was challenged initially), that those who would benefit from race in the admissions process were disproportiontaly picked from wealthier backgrounds. prior to race being a variable, the policy was informed by ecdis being a variable (which many hope to disproportionately recruit URM, as URM would be disproportionately be likely to be poorer in the general population), those in various race/ethnicity categories had similar chances of admission across various ecdis groupings.

I have pulled some data from the article, that may be useful to understanding how folks who are from wealthy backgrounds often benefit disproportionately from race/culture based diversity recruitment.

1. "Most recently, Jolly (2008) found that a majority of entering medical students came from households in the highest income quintile while less than 6% of enrolled medical students represented the lower quintile". PG 25"

Remember that those who come from the lowest quintile include not just URM but to a great extent rural applicants as well as ORM first generation immigrant families, and of course poor white people. So, no hard numbers here, but a sense that it would only be a fraction of URM matriculants who are also lowest quintile matriculants.

2. "Seyan, Greenlaugh and Dorling (2004) compared admissions data in England from 1996 to 2000 by race and socioeconomic group in relation to the overall population of the country. They found “massive inequalities” when viewing admissions as a standardized ratio between admitted applicant by social class in relation to the total population (p. 1545). The highest social class group was overrepresented by nearly six times among admitted medical students in relation overall population while the lowest social class had only 1/5 of the representation in relation to the population. When race or ethnicity was included in the analysis, some ratios were even wider when considering that no black applicants were admitted from the lowest social class throughout the four years examined. Interestingly, Asians had the highest overall representation with a ratio nearly forty-two times greater than their percentage of the population." PG 32

This is data from G.B. which has a different history of race and class and policy to try and create diversity in education from that of the U.S. However, interesting to note that when it comes to race and class, it is more likely the folks from wealthy backgrounds who get in, in this context. As well, I am sure that the number of black people is abysmally low, much lower than the American context where affirmative action has specifically addressed URM. In Canada, there is policy developing that looks at aboriginal enrollment, rural enrollment and a few other categories only developing currently, but no recruitment for black people, and although many brown and asian folks, hardly any black people at all. and many of the aboriginal folks are over-represented by heritage only and under-represented from active membership in aboriginal communities, particularly communities that may be struggling .

3. This is a paragraph that consolidated data I had found while doing research on ec dis: "Socio-economic class is relatively overlooked, despite the finding that “race, sex and class have a history of parallel effects”. (Magnus, 2000) Although gains have been made since 1976 in terms of race and gender representation at medical schools, economic class has stayed flat, with perhaps only a small rise despite decades of social justice movements that have brought equity to the fore. From the 1920’s to the 1970’s, medical students with a family income less than the average family income in the U.S. stayed at a steady 12% whereas women in medicine climbed from 6% to 17% (51% of the population) between 1961 and 1973, and African Americans went from 3% to 9% (12% of the population then) in that same time (Navarro, 1976; Dhalla, 2002; Kwong, 2002). A recent Canadian study reported that 40% of Canadian households have income < $40,000i n contrast to only 15.4% of medical students with the same economic background (Dhalla, 2002). Further, 53.7% of medical students came from families with incomes 80,000 or greater whereas only 19.9% of Canadians in general do. (Dhalla, 2002) 17% of the medical students in this study came from households with incomes greater than $160,000 per year as opposed 2.7% of the nation’s population with household incomes in that range. " (ed: this last sentence from the dissertation, speaking about same Dhalla study)

These numbers do not say how much of the African-American population comes from the not-wealthy, or even just under 40,000 per year sector. Those specific questions seem to be addressed by that 2011 Texan study. However, all together, it seems that no matter white/ORM/URM, the folks getting into medicine are most likely from disproportionately wealthy families.

The point of looking at ecdis and at URM is being more likely to serve underserved communities. ecdis and urm as well as rural all do this. not fully -usually only at greater rates, certainly not all.

I don't write this post to deny the importance of affirmative action and an active recruitment based on race as well as other factors.

edited: to clarify attribution of sentence quoted above

Last edited: