Another what are my chances....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMSBeagle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS3 here considering ENT after enjoying it while on my surgery rotation. However I'm worried as I didn't do spectacularly well on step 1, I got a 228. Also I don't have any ENT related research. I feel like I don't want to apply to ENT and not match because it is really scary. Any input will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chance of matching is zero if you do not apply. Your chance of matching if you do apply is determined by many things aside from your step score such as research, LoRs, away rotations....You need to schedule a meeting with your Chair or PD and find out how competitive you are compared to the applicants they interviewed and will rank this year. ENT is getting more competitive every year and almost all the applicants I met on the trail this year were solid across the board.

Last edited:
I agree with the above post. A step I does not a successful match make. Your step I is good enough to match assuming other parts of your application are solid, especially letters and third year grades. You can start a small research project now or early in the application cycle with a 'research month'. The frustrating aspect is that many schools have first pass cut-offs for offering interviews that are largely based on step I, and this job is unfortunately typically not done by the program director. So if you do apply, you'll likely have to apply to a lot of programs.

Getting to know your chair well is a great first step. Definitely schedule a meeting to express interest and get their feedback, then start showing up to grand rounds regularly to show you're committed.