Another question about specializing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see the discussions about whether or not specialty programs look at undergrad GPA. This question is a little different though:

I've been accepted to D-School, and I am going to talk to the director of admissions to see if they will let me take science courses (Micro, Biochem, Head & Neck Anatomy) next semester instead of completing my B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science.

Do you think not having a B.S. (although I have a very high GPA) would be looked at negatively by specialty programs? Would I be shooting myself in the foot by not graduating?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're specifically looking to go into OMFS, there are some dual-degree programs at which the med school might require a degree. Which ones they are, I'm not sure.

If you're specifically looking to go into OMFS, there are some dual-degree programs at which the med school might require a degree. Which ones they are, I'm not sure.

This is very true! The same goes for some other specialty programs in which you earn a masters from the graduate school affiliated. Some of these programs require a bachelors. I know my ortho residency did NOT require a bachelors, but we graduated with a certificate and not a masters.

Moral of the story, you can specialize without a bachelors, but all doors will be open with a degree.

This is very true! The same goes for some other specialty programs in which you earn a masters from the graduate school affiliated. Some of these programs require a bachelors. I know my ortho residency did NOT require a bachelors, but we graduated with a certificate and not a masters.

Moral of the story, you can specialize without a bachelors, but all doors will be open with a degree.

My classmate went to dental school without an undergrad degree and matched into ortho. But his class rank was #3 of course.